Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    FG are showing massive contempt for the electorate. Its without a doubt damage limitation now. That's how it is appearing.

We are not fools Leo and this will not go away.

Not publishing the report will only give the impression that the Bailey insurance fraud story was even worse than people initially thought. Not sanctioning her will make FG's credibility look extremely weak for a long long time.

The FG tolerance for insurance fraud and blatant greed will be remembered every time a voter pays their insurance premiums.

A self made utter shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well this is laughable. Leo not going to publish report.

He clearly would release all if it could paint a better picture than what is currently out there so we can only guess how bad it is, who represented her and who was with her at the hotel.

FG should be aware, due to poor management of the entire issue, they are a certainty to come unstuck in a big way come general election. Im thinking Sean Gallagher levels of collapse. All it will take is a witness or video to come out at the right moment and they are all sunk. Very poor judgement from Leo - his corrupt cover up puts him square in the middle of it and he will not be able to distance himself from this, which in the middle of an election campaign where there will be leaders debates on live tv could prove very very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm beginning to think someone has the footage and is going to release when it can cause the most damage to FG. At present it seems certain elements in the media are turning on FG and Leo refusing to publish is further stoking the flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭jmreire

Kivaro wrote: »
    But these lawsuits are still costing his business a fortune. 76 currently ongoing.

This case was a clear-cut example of fraud; yet nothing will happen to the fraudster. Fine Gael, after promising us a dedicated Garda unit to tackle this epidemic, scrapped the plan a few weeks ago (very quietly after the Bailey news broke).

I've said it before: If there were negative consequences to people who brought fraudulent claims to court, then the numbers filing lawsuits would dramatically fall ......... as would our insurance costs.

WHATTTTTT????? and reduce the gravy train ?????:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm beginning to think someone has the footage and is going to release when it can cause the most damage to FG..

Bit like the Guardian with the Boris Johnson 'domestic' tape. Allegedly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

mickdw wrote: »
    Well this is laughable. Leo not going to publish report.

He clearly would release all if it could paint a better picture than what is currently out there so we can only guess how bad it is, who represented her and who was with her at the hotel.

FG should be aware, due to poor management of the entire issue, there are a certainty to come unstuck in a big way come general election. Im thinking Sean Gallagher levels of collapse. All it will take is a witness or video to come out at the right moment and they are all sunk. Very poor judgement from Leo - his corrupt cover up puts him square in the middle of it and he will not be able to distance himself from this, which in the middle of an election campaign where there will be leaders debates on live tv could prove very very interesting.

It would really make you wonder why he hasn't got on top of it by now. I know he's not in touch with reality but surely word is travelling up from the grass roots, the ordinary Joe worker/small businesses owner party member. They can't be happy with the way this is playing out.

Why aren't FF making hay while this is ongoing or do they think that FG are doing a good enough job of destroying FG that they should just let them on.

I can only guess that it boils down to who knows what bodies are buried and where and I'm sure no shortage of FF bodies out there too.

Keep it up the Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Surely when/if it does leak, it will blow up more than if they had released it?

The media will have a field day. I have no doubt that the red tops have probably already exhausted many avenues already, trying to get their hands on it.
    I hope it is leaked..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Dammo wrote: »
    Surely this is a no brainer. Take a legitimate claim and you either win or lose, fair enough. But a clearly fraudulent claim has to be met with a serious deterrent.

Since it is a no-brainer, it is also its death knell by the FG government.
    Seems they do the opposite the vast majority of people want/wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Not releasing the report as it's an internal party report - why the **** did you announce to the media you were commissioning a report in the first place if that's the case

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Not releasing the report as it's an internal party report - why the **** did you announce to the media you were commissioning a report in the first place if that's the case
    At this stage, they are like the Keystone Cops.
    And they are running our country?
    Explains the Rural Broadband/Children's Hospital/Insurance Cartels etc. debacles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

I'm beginning to think someone has the footage and is going to release when it can cause the most damage to FG. At present it seems certain elements in the media are turning on FG and Leo refusing to publish is further stoking the flames.
    By not releasing the report it will play right into the Dean hotel owner's hand.
    That cctv footage will be the sword of Damocles hanging over FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Not publishing the report will only give the impression that the Bailey insurance fraud story was even worse than people initially thought. Not sanctioning her will make FG's credibility look extremely weak for a long long time.

The FG tolerance for insurance fraud and blatant greed will be remembered every time a voter pays their insurance premiums.

A self made utter shambles.

I think another email is due. Regina Doherty and my local councillor replyed last time. Leos office acknowledged receipt. Trust me, if they are receiving negative emails the pressure is felt and it is brought up internally.

Let them feel the pressure and anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I hadn’t a lot of interest in this story but after today’s revelations about the report not being made public my interest is now aroused.
    Something rotten in the state of Denmark Leo?

Lu Tze wrote: »

He obviously didn't think it was as bad as it was. Trusted entirely what his his TDs were spoofing to him.

I think there is the possibility that the Dean has handed over the footage to FG. It was a very powerful bargaining chip for certain projects.

Leo sounds sure that it will blow over. I wouldnt be so sure with the Indo, Pat McDonagh, businesses and some very tuned in electorate on the case.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but when Fine Gael does badly in the next General Election, the post-election analysis will show this badly-managed story played a big part in their downfall. Just prior to going to the voting stations, the public will get a reminder of the corrupt nature of politics with this incident being brought to the fore again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I think another email is due. Regina Doherty and my local councillor replyed last time. Leos office acknowledged receipt. Trust me, if they are receiving negative emails the pressure is felt and it is brought up internally.

Let them feel the pressure and anger.

What kind of replies did they give?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Dammo wrote: »
    Surely this is a no brainer. Take a legitimate claim and you either win or lose, fair enough. But a clearly fraudulent claim has to be met with a serious deterrent.

Ah come on, its their culture...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Once again politicians who are to the forefront of pointing out corruption in other organizations are found wanting when there’s corruption in their own.

It’s a case of “ do what I say, not what I do “.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It’s a case of “ do what I say, not what I do “.

That was always the FG way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've just noticed that Leo (or whoever mans his twitter account) has finally changed it to "LeoVaradkar" as opposed to the previous "campaignforleo" - something I've called out here numerous times over the last few years as being the perfect example of what the man is all about.. Himself!

I surely couldn't be responsible for such a move, but just in case - hi Leo/interns! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There could be a dogfight for selection in MB's constituency for the next election now. They are gathering, and rightly so.

Varadker is being very badly advised. If he is leader of the country he could have just decided that she cannot be on the ticket anymore. Is that possible? She probably has the brass neck to stand as an Indo.

Anyway, I think Varadker will not be leader going into the next election. He is sick of it now I'd say, and he did say that politics was not going to be his forever job. There are probably offers from IMF, EU wherever as we speak. Go Leo! This issue and Kylie Minogue and your darned socks are over now.

Coveney needs to take the reins and pull them in. But FG is not doing well at the moment I'd say, and you can see why. They let the person who gets up in the morning to work hard down very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There could be a dogfight for selection in MB's constituency for the next election now. They are gathering, and rightly so.

Varadker is being very badly advised. If he is leader of the country he could have just decided that she cannot be on the ticket anymore. Is that possible? She probably has the brass neck to stand as an Indo.

Anyway, I think Varadker will not be leader going into the next election. He is sick of it now I'd say, and he did say that politics was not going to be his forever job. There are probably offers from IMF, EU wherever as we speak. Go Leo! This issue and Kylie Minogue and your darned socks are over now.

Coveney needs to take the reins and pull them in. But FG is not doing well at the moment I'd say, and you can see why. They let the person who gets up in the morning to work hard down very badly.

Completely agree with everything you've said until the highlighted part - Coveney is no better, and would potentially be worse.

Leo may be dangerously incapable of doing anything beyond polishing his media image, but Coveney's links with the Bilderberg crew and admiration of the Peter Sutherland agenda would not be good things for Ireland IMO.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Completely agree with everything you've said until the highlighted part - Coveney is no better, and would potentially be worse.

Leo may be dangerously incapable of doing anything beyond polishing his media image, but Coveney's links with the Bilderberg crew and admiration of the Peter Sutherland agenda would not be good things for Ireland IMO.

Who would you suggest then? On the assumption (not guaranteed at all) that FG might be able to form a Government after next election either by Coalition or C+S?

Not one person strikes me off the top of my head. Helen McEntee is impressive, but probably needs a bit more time, Pascal Donoghue doesn't want the job. So who is left?

And I do accept your points about Coveney being a Bilderbeg shill, but he is actually (to me anyway) doing a good job on the Brexit front. He can speak coherently and doesn't have to show off his socks either to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Coveney is prone to making his own decisions which in his case isn't good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Who would you suggest then? On the assumption (not guaranteed at all) that FG might be able to form a Government after next election either by Coalition or C+S?

Not one person strikes me off the top of my head. Helen McEntee is impressive, but probably needs a bit more time, Pascal Donoghue doesn't want the job. So who is left?

And I do accept your points about Coveney being a Bilderbeg shill, but he is actually (to me anyway) doing a good job on the Brexit front. He can speak coherently and doesn't have to show off his socks either to do that.

To best of my knowlege Coveny is heavily implicated in the next upcoming scandel involving the childrens hospitdeal

(its a year behind schedule and a billion over budget so far,despite warnings from BAM,the government forced em.to push ahead rapidly,hence why it started overnight....we're paying millions to keep cranes there and no need for half of em,just
    for government to keep face )

Coveney is prone to making his own decisions which in his case isn't good

What are those decisions? I don't know.

_blaaz wrote: »
    To best of my knowlege Coveny is heavily implicated in the next upcoming scandel involving the childrens hospitdeal

(its a year behind schedule and a billion over budget so far,despite warnings from BAM,the government forced em.to push ahead rapidly,hence why it started overnight....we're paying millions to keep cranes there and no need for half of em,just
    for government to keep face )

Well I would not implicate him without proof, and you haven't either, you have just hinted at it.

And there is the Broadband fiasco also.

Look, I have an open mind on FG. But it isn't looking great for them right now either. Varadker is not leading, I think that is the problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

imho Coveney would have been a much better choice for FG than Varadaker.
    He has some polltical cop-on, worked at his job and was not all about image.

He would not have allowed Baileygate to fester

Never mind, it's Saturday night, and maybe FF will win an overall majority next election. All our problems solved overnight.

• Advertisement

Well I would not implicate him without proof, and you haven't either, you have just hinted at it.

And there is the Broadband fiasco also.

Look, I have an open mind on FG. But it isn't looking great for them right now either. Varadker is not leading, I think that is the problem.

I had an open mind about FG in 2011. My mind was closed on them within about 3 years and they have done a lot of wrong since then. I mean come on, look how Maurice McCabe was treated. They don't give a **** and have contempt for the electorate.

Can see Soc Dems being the party that finally knocks FF/FG of their perch eventually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement