Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

And as long as this thread stays bumped more people will read it, or the important bits.
    Or will just be reminded of Bailey and Farrell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Suckit wrote: »
    And as long as this thread stays bumped more people will read it, or the important bits.
    Or will just be reminded of Bailey and Farrell.

Or be reminded of high insurance costs here due to a number of factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Who would you suggest then? On the assumption (not guaranteed at all) that FG might be able to form a Government after next election either by Coalition or C+S?

Not one person strikes me off the top of my head. Helen McEntee is impressive, but probably needs a bit more time, Pascal Donoghue doesn't want the job. So who is left?

And I do accept your points about Coveney being a Bilderbeg shill, but he is actually (to me anyway) doing a good job on the Brexit front. He can speak coherently and doesn't have to show off his socks either to do that.

Not sure about that,he saw the writing on the wall re the inevitability of Leo's elevation but I firmly believe he has long term ambitions to be the top dog.

Simon Conveney has impressed me greatly as Tanaiste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You may be right PPL, but where else can the public keep this Bailey thing in the public domain? Every little bit helps, and am certain boards can do it's 'bit'.

The Indo and the Times both mentioned Bailey this week. Nearly 7 weeks are the issue broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Maria Bailey’s failed compo bid a ‘drop in the ocean’ of claims killing Irish firms, Dean boss says
    But Matt Ryan, co-founder of Press Up Entertainment Group which owns the Dean, said: “Maria Bailey definitely isn’t the only person in this category.

“We deal with this in multiple versions on a monthly basis.”

Ms Bailey claimed the swing should have been supervised and said she was unable to run for three months after the accident.

But she dropped the case after pics of her running a 10km race just three weeks after emerged.

Mr Ryan insisted they won’t be taking down the famous swings.

Can't blame them for being pissed off though, not with insurance premiums such as this.
    Mr Ryan said Press Up — which runs a string of firms in Dublin including Wowburger and the Stella cinema — have to pay up to €700,000 a year for insurance.

The Indo and the Times both mentioned Bailey this week. Nearly 7 weeks are the issue broke.
    Was trending on Twitter yesterday FFS. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Leo, just by being elevated to Taoiseach without many real notable achievements would now be set up for life by giving speeches on the after dinner circuit. Whilst being a very weak leader the image he has portrayed almost certainly guarantees that as a champion for diversity and the lgbt community.

I think he will get out soon as financially he will do well in the future with nowhere near the same level of pressure as Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Quote:
    Mr Ryan said Press Up — which runs a string of firms in Dublin including Wowburger and the Stella cinema — have to pay up to €700,000 a year for insurance.

Jesus, if they pay that much for insurance how can they make a profit?

A festival in Leitrim had a lovely entry referencing M Bailey, sorry I can't post the photo but it's on the iradio FB page .Yeah noone cares except on Boards, lol

You're welcome.

FB-IMG-1561926795170.jpg

You're welcome.

FB-IMG-1561926795170.jpg

That's the one. Hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

This story would have died down weeks ago If MB had of kept her mouth shut and not gone on the SOR program and then you have Leo announcing that he'll have a 2 week enquiry, thus keeping it in the headlines..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

It will be more than just the voters of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown that will get to vote on whether they want a party in power that embraces fraudsters and scam artists that are costing us all money, and they will be reminded of that every time a renual demand lands on the mat.

For honesty and integrity vote Anyone But Fine Gael.

I know for certain that canverses will get it in the neck scour crooked bailey Farrell,Irish water,the
    E children's hospital. . They'll be bollixed when they leave my home. !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Jesus, if they pay that much for insurance how can they make a profit?

With great difficulty which is why this story won’t quietly disappear the way Leo hoped.

It affects every adult in the country whether directly through increased insurance premiums or indirectly through the knock on increased cost of goods and services.

This needn’t have been an issue if it was dealt with swiftly at the time but thankfully Leo’s incompetence and lack of courage to act has destroyed FG chances in the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Just a quick recap on where we are to date.

FG TD- M. Bailey pulls a fast stroke and gets caught out. Possibly aided by another FG (now TD) Maddigan. The exact details of this case are well known and the subject of the thread.

FG TD- Farrell pulls another stroke and gets paid a nominal sum by a judge that knew it was all a bit ropey but didn’t totally want to embarrass said TD. When asked to comment on this claim by prime time, Mr. Farrell walked away from the reporter very fast and refused to comment, which was reminiscent of a ‘builders from hell’ program where the dodgy builder has fitted a cheese lintel and not a steel RSJ.

FG MEP- M. Mc Guinness was paid a substantial amount in a claim but “can’t remember” the amount she got. This is of course totally understandable as who would be expected to remember such a mundane life event!

FF cllr Deirdre Conroy is in the middle of a claim (soon to be heard) regarding a skiing holiday accident where she amazingly discovered, to her horror, that snow is actually slippery. Scientists have been working away ever since to try establish the physics behind this newly discovered phenomenon.

It should be noted that Ms Conroy engaged the professional services (at one stage) of the aforementioned FG TD - Maddigan. It seems party rivalries are no barrier when it comes to submitting highly dubious claims for greed purposes.

Have I missed anything? I'd hate to have missed anything. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yeah. The bit about Humanity being crossed.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭jmreire

With great difficulty which is why this story won’t quietly disappear the way Leo hoped.

It affects every adult in the country whether directly through increased insurance premiums or indirectly through the knock on increased cost of goods and services.

This needn’t have been an issue if it was dealt with swiftly at the time but thankfully Leo’s incompetence and lack of courage to act has destroyed FG chances in the next GE.

We all get our yearly premium's on different dates....BUT, if they all came due for payment on the same Day / Week / Month each year.. say for example, all Motorbike Insurance was payable in January, Motor Insurance in February, and Truck / Bus Insurance all came due in March...you would have mass protests on Dail Eireann to rival or even surpass the water protests !!! But as it is, it's too fragmented to reach a critical mass to trigger such protests. None the less, neither is it going away, and come election time, it will be remembered, and well it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭jmreire

janfebmar wrote: »
    Or be reminded of high insurance costs here due to a number of factors.

Perhaps you would care to explain exactly why insurance costs are so high here in Ireland, compared to other EU Country's?? Because, as sure as God made green apples, the "End User's" ( the people who pay the premium's ) are being hammered with insurance cost's, to the extent that these high costs are closing down businesses , and causing job losses, what ever is / are the cause's. All we get is the merry go round.. Ins, blame's the Legal Eagle's, who blame the Compo Culture....and round and round we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

jmreire wrote: »
    We all get our yearly premium's on different dates....BUT, if they all came due for payment on the same Day / Week / Month each year.. say for example, all Motorbike Insurance was payable in January, Motor Insurance in February, and Truck / Bus Insurance all came due in March...you would have mass protests on Dail Eireann to rival or even surpass the water protests !!! But as it is, it's too fragmented to reach a critical mass to trigger such protests. None the less, neither is it going away, and come election time, it will be remembered, and well it should be.

I think the various doctors of spin and advisors have underestimated that insurance premiums will be a death by a thousand cuts. Most people have more than one insurance premium to pay, so they will get a few reminders a year, business owners more again.

This isn't a porking the PA or pissed in public sort of news story that is going to fade away. It's a caterpillar. Its got thousands of little legs pumping away in every electorate every day. People look at their premiums creeping up and they get a little reminder of who has done SFA about it and worse still contributed to the problem.

They are showing a fundamental lack of understanding of this, but also of the darker side of social media. In exactly the same way that MB got trolled hard and is now a figure of ridicule, every related meme will live on in a dark corner until the spotlight turns on her and there it will be, pointing at her worst moment.

J'accuse indeed.
    On a whole new level.

FG need to get their heads around accountability and face the fact that traditional spin looses traction when there is someone or something feeding the trolls.
    They need to be proactive and pre-emptive and they need to do it now or they will have some unexpected results in unexpected quarters come election time.

All of the above aside, there have been very short-sighted in poking the media with a stick by pursuing the source. I cannot believe they were dumb enough to menace journalists in this manner. I think perhaps there may be some other sort of strategy involved there.. They must want this to burn slowly in the corner for some other reason, they want it to stay alive.
    It's the only explanation for what they have done (Enquiry, demanding sources, burying report etc.)

I don't know or care whether they have a couple of shills chucking sixpences into the boards pond, but it would make sense for there to be a few motivated contributors pronouncing threads dead, building strawmen and chucking dead cats on the table....same as it ever was. Have at it lads.. The golem lumbers on.

jmreire wrote: »
    Perhaps you would care to explain exactly why insurance costs are so high here in Ireland, compared to other EU Country's?? Because, as sure as God made green apples, the "End User's" ( the people who pay the premium's ) are being hammered with insurance cost's, to the extent that these high costs are closing down businesses , and causing job losses, what ever is / are the cause's. All we get is the merry go round.. Ins, blame's the Legal Eagle's, who blame the Compo Culture....and round and round we go.

I never claimed to know exactly why insurance costs are so high here in the 26 counties. ...except they are. Like you, I have been fobbed off with excuses like the "compo culture", the high cost of solicitors / barristers, high overheads of doing business in Ireland etc.

I never claimed to know exactly why insurance costs are so high here in the 26 counties. ...except they are. Like you, I have been fobbed off with excuses like the "compo culture", the high cost of solicitors / barristers, high overheads of doing business in Ireland etc.

Your post did insinuate a dilution of the significance of spurious claims (the topic of this entire thread) as a factor though by pointing out that it was due to multiple factors though.

Its a bit disingenuous to throw that remark in there when the whole thread is about one of the factors that is clearly a direct cost input to the industry. (not an overhead, not a variable cost like solicitor/barrister hours) Bringing overhead cost into it is not really relevant as the overhead and administrative cost of running an insurance company office would be similar to any other clerical cost being faced by every other company in the country and they aren't leap-frogging their prices up to push their customers out of business.

It was whataboutery in essence.

• Advertisement

Your post did insinuate a dilution of the significance of spurious claims (the topic of this entire thread) as a factor though by pointing out that it was due to multiple factors though.

Its a bit disingenuous to throw that remark in there when the whole thread is about one of the factors that is clearly a direct cost input to the industry. (not an overhead, not a variable cost like solicitor/barrister hours) Bringing overhead cost into it is not really relevant as the overhead and administrative cost of running an insurance company office would be similar to any other clerical cost being faced by every other company in the country and they aren't leap-frogging their prices up to push their customers out of business.

It was whataboutery in essence.

No doubt there are various reasons why insurance is so high in this state. I am not an expert on insurance but you can see lots of people have the snouts in the trough. The high cost of claims and the higher likelyhoods of people here submitting a claim for eg whiplash in the event of a crash, is bound to be a major factor though.

Maybe the government should set up a quango / have an enquiry in to it? If the enquiry cost say €60 million, that is only approximately 30 euro extra for each worker in the state to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

No doubt there are various reasons why insurance is so high in this state. I am not an expert on insurance but you can see lots of people have the snouts in the trough. The high cost of claims and the higher likelyhoods of people here submitting a claim for eg whiplash in the event of a crash, is bound to be a major factor though.

Maybe the government should set up a quango / have an enquiry in to it? If the enquiry cost say €60 million, that is only approximately 30 euro extra for each worker in the state to pay.
    A public enquiry?
    or one like the ongoing one to find the leak in 'swingate'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

One of the reasons may be that there’s no fraud investigations of spurious claims.

Or some sensible legislation like penalties for providing, promoting or promising no win no fee scenarios.
    Awarding defense costs against nuisance cases.

If there is to be any inquiry, it should start at industry collusion and financial report level.
    Insurance companies along with banks and energy suppliers have the extra condition of a social licence to operate. In this regard the terms can and should be set by government regulation particularly in relation to price rises. They should have to prove their case rather than being allowed to set prices.
    They sell a financial product that in most cases is a mandatory condition for ownership or operation of their customers. Where these situations exist, there must be a regulatory and enforcement agency from government, this agency must have teeth and must be allowed to use them.

Unfortunately it is something that Ireland have been particularly inept at.

That is the root cause of this problem, in the same way as it was the problem with the banking sector.

Loose regulation, low enforcement, small community. plenty of nods and winks and no accountability at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

boombang wrote: »

GREAT news this. Thanks for sharing!!!

It's just the grassroots in this thread who want the story to go the way of the Titanic.

Meanwhile, the blueshirts internally are tearing themselves apart, few sour grapes from those who lost seats in the locals, and those whose seat is far from certain in a general election.

Then we have the chit-storm in Waterford, where they're stripping lumps out of each other, Leo is deluded if he thinks this will stay contained.

Won't be good for him if it's a scathing report, confirms Madigans role in it, and that they were fully aware the claim was spurious, and he tried to bury it.

Didn't a poster basically confirm this story before it was printed in the times anyway?

If there's one thing that'll upset a FGer, it's depriving them of their gravy. Those who lost theirs, and those in fear of losing theirs will have the knives out for Leo, Bailey and Madigan.

7 weeks on and still ongoing. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The guy from Sligo missing a few votes last election:
    “It did not help. If we are looking at marginal seat losses, I lost out by a swing of 33 votes and it would make you think. It is an issue, and it is on the lips of everyone in Leinster House. Everyone is wondering how Leo is going to deal with it, it is a test for him. We don’t know what is going to come out of the report. I would like to see it.”

That is the editor's work surely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It's just the grassroots in this thread who want the story to go the way of the Titanic.

Meanwhile, the blueshirts internally are tearing themselves apart, few sour grapes from those who lost seats in the locals, and those whose seat is far from certain in a general election.

Then we have the chit-storm in Waterford, where they're stripping lumps out of each other, Leo is deluded if he thinks this will stay contained.

Won't be good for him if it's a scathing report, confirms Madigans role in it, and that they were fully aware the claim was spurious, and he tried to bury it.

Didn't a poster basically confirm this story before it was printed in the times anyway?

If there's one thing that'll upset a FGer, it's depriving them of their gravy. Those who lost theirs, and those in fear of losing theirs will have the knives out for Leo, Bailey and Madigan.

7 weeks on and still ongoing. :D

This idea that the grassroots want the report to be released or the party is divided over it, is just spin from FG trying to move the blame to HQ or the few while the rest of the poor honest party members are like you and me totally disgusted.

Waterford is a different matter completely. Coffey wants to ensure he gets elected so he drove the knife into Deasy when he had the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The ostriches that believe this story is going away are very naïve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement