Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

McCrack wrote: »
    I presume the reports conclusion could be published and Mr Kennedy draft it in such as way that there's no source identification

I would expect thats the way it is so release the conclusion which will confirm what we already know

A report on insurance fraud, with the sources being allowed to remain anonymous, while the emperor with no clothes on orders another investigation to find the source of who anonymously leaked the tale of fraud to the press.

You couldn't actually make it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Apologies if this has been posted but this is what we need. Hard questions of the industry and their enablers both. I’m no shinner but more of this across the board please. Cos if FG leave this rigouros type of questioning to the likes of SF people will raise their ears and start looking at their choices next election

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1147182930848038912?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Apologies if this has been posted but this is what we need. Hard questions of the industry and their enablers both. I’m no shinner but more of this across the board please. Cos if FG leave this rigouros type of questioning to the likes of SF people will raise their ears and start looking at their choices next election

Pearse Doherty is a very capable politician. That video is gaining traction today. Not a Sinn Fein fan but it certainly has me thinking. The country needs a drastic uprooting of civil war parties for it to progress.

It’s brilliant. He’s caught them all by the balls there.

It’s astounding. They haven’t reported hardly any fraudulent claims. Out of a reported 20,000 a year??

Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Pearse Doherty is a very capable politician. That video is gaining traction today. Certainly has me thinking.

If he was an american politian...that video would have views into the tens of millions by now

Impressive stuff,irregardless what party he from (if i was from.donegal,id vote for him deffo)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Pearse Doherty is a very capable politician. That video is gaining traction today. Not a Sinn Fein fan but it certainly has me thinking. The country needs a drastic uprooting of civil war parties for it to progress.

Pearse is blaming the Insurance Industry for magnifying fraudulent claims.
    While the insurance cartel bears some responsibility for this crisis, it sounds like Pearce is almost making the fraudsters victims in their pursuant of claims. Typical Sinn Fein response i.e. it is only a small number of people who are filing fraudulent claims, small number of travellers causing strife across the country, small number of asylum seekers are bogus etc. etc.
    We definitely should not be looking to Sinn Fein as our saviours to this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

Kivaro wrote: »
    While the insurance cartel bears some responsibility for this crisis, it sounds like Pearce is almost making the fraudsters victims in their pursuant of claims. Typical Sinn Fein response i.e. it is only a small number of people who are filing fraudulent claims, small number of travellers causing strife across the country, small number of asylum seekers are bogus etc. etc.
    We definitely should not be looking to Sinn Fein as our saviours to this problem.

That is their MO, but in this case he’s right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

While the insurance cartel bears some responsibility for this crisis, it sounds like Pearce is almost making the fraudsters victims in their pursuant of claims. Typical Sinn Fein response

I agree with you but he’s the only one asking the tough questions right now and if you take the party politics out of it, imagine what we could achieve with someone of his caliber, integrity and ability as Taoiseach..

I think you might need to rewatch the video.

The insurance companies are hiding behind an inflated number of fraudulent claims to try and justify the exorbitant premiums they're charging.

Doherty said he was under no doubt that insurance fraud happens, but it's not at a level where they try to defend their costs.

That's a very skewed version of events of what actually happened in the video tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

That's a pretty amazing video. Haven't paid much attention to PD but the way he went though those executives was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The insurance companies are hiding behind an inflated number of fraudulent claims to try and justify the exorbitant premiums they're charging.

Doherty said he was under no doubt that insurance fraud happens, but it's not at a level where they try to defend their costs.

That's a very skewed version of events of what actually happened in the video tbh.

It's impossible to know the exact extent of insurance fraud. Yes, some people set up incidents, but that's not the only type of fraud. People exaggerating their injuries is also fraud but it's impossible to know with any degree of accuracy what percentage of people exaggerate their injuries.

While I've no way of proving this, from looking at injuries that happen in my workplace and looking at medical reports etc, well over 50% of them appear to have some element of exaggeration.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's impossible to know the exact extent of insurance fraud. Yes, some people set up incidents, but that's not the only type of fraud. People exaggerating their injuries is also fraud but it's impossible to know with any degree of accuracy what percentage of people exaggerate their injuries.

While I've no way of proving this, from looking at injuries that happen in my workplace and looking at medical reports etc, well over 50% of them appear to have some element of exaggeration.

Did you watch the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,439 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That's just a shocking reaction.

Look at those insurance executive's squirm, then look at your premium or the premium of your young child and then look at those executives again.

But hey...opposition party does what they should be doing and it is them that are wrong. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

BattleCorp wrote: »

I presume you're not medically qualified or examined the claimants yourself?

That's just a shocking reaction.

Look at those insurance executive's squirm, then look at you premium or the premium of your young child and then look at those executives again.

But hey...opposition party does what they should be doing and it is them that are wrong. :rolleyes:

We all know what that reaction was about. Mainly cos it’s a SF member.
    But mostly Sunday morning shift at the FG bot desk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Mea culpa. Just took the "magnifying aspect" of the video description.
    After watching the video, he did have the FBD representative by the cahones. When the rep. claimed about 20% fraudulent claims, which is about 15,000 people; only 19 or so were reported to the Garda by the whole insurance industry. So point taken and well made by Pearse.

Wish a cohort of people like him formed a different party in this country. I think they would do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

PD might have a point, but he's overselling in the clip. There's a gulf between having an indication that a claim is fraudulent and having enough evidence to make a case stick. He's not giving fair consideration to that.

boombang wrote: »
    PD might have a point, but he's overselling in the clip. There's a gulf between having an indication that a claim is fraudulent and having enough evidence to make a case stick. He's not giving fair consideration to that.

That's the Garda\Dpps job to investigate and determine evidence strength

• Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, that was as much brilliant as it was brutal.

Think I started to feel sorry for them for a finish.

The people 'overselling' are the insurance industry. My teenage boys are the victims as they try and get cover to be able to earn a living. They are earning to pay these fatcats.

As I said to another poster...look at those execs faces, they are like rats caught in the headlights.

• Advertisement

There was even subtitles included so unsure how you missed it.

https://i.postimg.cc/CLhJHktc/Screenshot-2019-07-07-11-03-05-551-com-twitter-android.png

• Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It begs the rather large question why the insurance company were insistent in funding a section of the Gardaí to investigate fraud on the back of 19 suspected cases.

Something doesn't quite add up there? :confused:

If these insurance companies where Joe Bloggs running a shop they'd be called 'gougers'.
    Caught bang to rights doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

McCrack wrote: »
    That's the Garda\Dpps job to investigate and determine evidence strength

But the insurance companies aren't going to waste their time sending buckets of evidence over to the DPP and wait for them to select whatever selection meet a threshold for a reasonable chance of prosecution. It's only going to be in the insurance industry's interest to refer small proportion of most obvious examples. There's good reason to expect the cases referred for prosecution to be well below the proportion they believe to be fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

But the insurance companies aren't going to waste their time sending buckets of evidence over to the DPP and wait for them to select whatever selection meet a threshold for a reasonable chance of prosecution. It's only going to be in the insurance industry's interest to refer small proportion of most obvious examples. There's good reason to expect the cases referred for prosecution to be well below the proportion they believe to be fraud.

Why are they paying out on fraudenlent claims??or claiming 20% claims.to be fraud

How is that

Well you see by their own admissions they have reported virtually none to the Gardai out of a supposed 20 percent fraud of injury claims that they maintain are fraudulent

Extraordinary admissions by the insurance industry

So they take the easy way out and then charge us for it? Are you kidding here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I can see how Doherty would appear impressive to some of the regulars around here. Shouting isn’t leadership though, and indignant bluster and faux outrage doesn’t keep the bills paid and the lights on. Real shower of hurlers on the ditch. A rather unimpressive man from a very unimpressive party. That’s why they lost more than half their seats at local and European level. People can seen through the thin veneer of outrage they rely on, and see they stand for nothing. Might have had a bit more appeal to people when they were associated with burying bodies (as opposed to FG burying this report I suppose).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Might have had a bit more appeal to people when they were associated with burying bodies

Jesus ******* Christ!

• Advertisement

I can see how Doherty would appear impressive to some of the regulars around here. Shouting isn’t leadership though, and indignant bluster and faux outrage doesn’t keep the bills paid and the lights on. Real shower of hurlers on the ditch. A rather unimpressive man from a very unimpressive party. That’s why they lost more than half their seats at local and European level. People can seen through the thin veneer of outrage they rely on, and see they stand for nothing. Might have had a bit more appeal to people when they were associated with burying bodies (as opposed to FG burying this report I suppose).

The 'Enda Fix' is in I see. :):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement