Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I don't get why people on here outraged about Maria Bailey are praising PD at the same time.

If I didn't know any better I'd think he was working for FG because he's completely trying to take the media eye off fraudulent claims. :confused::confused:

Not so. What he's saying is that fraudulent claims certainly exist and should be sent to AGS for investigation and prosecution if necessary, but that the "industry" are also exaggerating the scale of the problem to justify huge hikes in premiums, given that the actual numbers of such cases they forward is extremely small.

Given the way the company representatives (particularly the last fella) squirmed when numbers were drilled into, he seems to be right.

But the two issues are not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Suckit wrote: »
    I'm confused... Now that it has been confirmed she was making a fraudulent claim, does that mean that everything she said on SOC was a lie?
    Has humanity NOT been crossed?? :eek:

Will the Gardai become involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,104 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As Doherty pointed out, shouldn't somebody be calling in the Gardai here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The opposition parties are putting the pressure on FG to release the report. This issue is not going away anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This is a resigning or sacking matter now

• Advertisement

The opposition parties are putting the pressure on FG to release the report. This issue is not going away anytime soon.

Also on this from leo.
    Leo wrote:
    "I met with David Kennedy. He pointed out that he sought the co-operation of those who were interviewed for the report on the basis that it wouldn't be published," he said. "And he gave them that commitment in writing so I don't feel I could possibly override that."

This smells like B.S to me, who gave Kennedy the authorisation to give anyone any assurance that the report would not be published?

There's no way on this earth he would have done so in his own bat, leo never once intended for the report to be seen by the public, he knew what went on was bad, he just didn't know how bad, and who exactly was embroiled in it.

Still, Kennedy's the man he's now chosen to hide behind.

I don't forsee many in FG having a quiet recess over the summer tbh, I suspect Madigan and Bailey are quite the pariahs right about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Gael23 wrote: »

In Leo's world attempts will be made get the whistleblower to resign and get the reporting journalist sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I saw a mention on Twitter that MB was pissed in the CCTV footage. Is there any such mention of that in the Indo article? I know the article's free, but I can't be bothered creating a login.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

B

Resigning or sacking ~ of who? Varadkar, Bailey, Madigan? Or all three imho. Oh and don’t forget Farrell, he certainly ought to be given the bullet also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Bailey mentioned again on the 9 o'clock news. Leo due to comment on the report this week.

A nation holds it's breath ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Leo had his chance and failed. The public won't be forgetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Nothing but strong action from Leo against members involved in making false claims will suffice. His political career and any hope of a FG majority in the next Govt is finished if the public hears mealy mouthed weasel words from him.

Interesting week ahead me thinks, perhaps further leaks from the report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Probably has been mentioned, but why wouldFG bring in some to do a report and give them no guidelines

Like A. Tell them it will have to be public or not

So it’s BS if Leo now thinks he can blame someone they paid to come in and do a job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Probably has been mentioned, but why wouldFG bring in some to do a report and give them no guidelines

Like A. Tell them it will have to be public or not

So it’s BS if Leo now thinks he can blame someone they paid to come in and do a job

The political ineptitude around this goes on and on. The cackhanded response is more revealing than than the initial grubby, greedy fraud. I previously had faith in Leo, but this has laid him bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hearing rumors that her father has died

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Is there not an ethics test that Bailey can somehow be failed out of, and not allowed to stand again/sacked/booted out of the party?
    They could/should have dealt with this so much better. I'm glad they didn't, it's nice to be able to see the mask slip (if that's the correct term in this instance) once in a while and really show us the crowd we have running the country.
    It might give us all the kick in the backside we need to take down the individuals in future. More importantly, it might make other party's take note about how they can't ride it out as easily any more (unless everything goes back to normal after this :( )
    Their plan was/is obviously to ride it out until it blows over, which normally works.
    If this is the type of crap they try to get away with publicly for €60k max (less than a monthly wage) I'm not sure if I ever want to see the rest. (I do, I really do.. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I hope that's not true. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

He didn't look well recently upon being elected to the council so that would not be a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,104 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If that is true, I think we all should all hit pause here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Was that Maria Bailey on the left hand side of Pierce D in that Twitter video?

• Advertisement

Doubt that's true, nothing about it this morning anywhere in the media this morning, just stories across multiple sources as to how she's most likely not going to be facing any sanctions from the party, despite them concluding that she effectively indulged in a bit of the old insurance fraud.

Oh Leo, please let this be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Doubt that's true, nothing about it this morning anywhere in the media this morning, just stories across multiple sources as to how she's most likely not going to be facing any sanctions from the party, despite them concluding that she effectively indulged in a bit of the old insurance fraud.

Oh Leo, please let this be true.
    That will show her :rolleyes: What does a politican need to do in ireland to get fired or at least take the honourable option and resign ???
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/maria-bailey-may-lose-committee-chair-over-swing-gate-935367.html

She’s already paid a significant political price? Well it’s not from her monthly salary or expenses anyway. Nothing whatsoever has changed.
    Some party members believe that regardless of the sanction Ms Bailey has already paid a significant political price for initiating legal action against the Dean Hotel in Dublin, which she withdrew in May.

Are quote tags not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mike_cork wrote: »
    That will show her :rolleyes: What does a politican need to do in ireland to get fired or at least take the honourable option and resign ???
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/maria-bailey-may-lose-committee-chair-over-swing-gate-935367.html
    What makes it either of those? Seriously poor behaviour and judgement at best but ultimately no criminality. A sanction like this seems proportionate.

You need to put in the words inside the tags! They are not shortcodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,208 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes they are. the tag is the word quote not just q.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,210 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

is_that_so wrote: »
    What makes it either of those? Seriously poor behaviour and judgement at best but ultimately no criminality. A sanction like this seems proportionate.
    As per that article
    It has been reported the investigation has found that Ms Bailey overstated her injuries after she fell from a swing in the Dublin hotel.
    Are overstating injuries not criminal?

gmisk wrote: »
    As per that article
    It has been reported the investigation has found that Ms Bailey overstated her injuries after she fell from a swing in the Dublin hotel.
    Are overstating injuries not criminal?
    That's according to their internal inquiry not the law. As I understand it you can be prosecuted for exaggerating a claim to your own insurance company. A judge would have had to determine whether she was or not.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, Monday morning brain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement