Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

I can see how Doherty would appear impressive to some of the regulars around here. Shouting isn’t leadership though, and indignant bluster and faux outrage doesn’t keep the bills paid and the lights on. Real shower of hurlers on the ditch. A rather unimpressive man from a very unimpressive party. That’s why they lost more than half their seats at local and European level. People can seen through the thin veneer of outrage they rely on, and see they stand for nothing. Might have had a bit more appeal to people when they were associated with burying bodies (as opposed to FG burying this report I suppose).

The last refuge of the scoundrel, start attacking other political entities in a strained effort to mask shortcomings of their own. The desperation is all too apparent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Have the leaks started?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fine-gael-swing-fall-probe-finds-maria-baileys-claim-overstated-impact-of-injuries-38289269.html

Fine Gael swing fall probe finds Maria Bailey's claim overstated impact of injuries
    An internal Fine Gael investigation has found Maria Bailey's personal injury claim overstated the impact of injuries she suffered as a result of falling from a swing in a Dublin city centre hotel, the Sunday Independent can reveal.

Ms Bailey signed an affidavit of verification which accompanied separate legal papers setting out the alleged injuries she incurred from her fall in the Dean Hotel.

The Fine Gael TD is understood to have read what is called a pleading document, in which it was claimed she was unable to run for three months after the fall, before signing the verifying affidavit.

So if it's clearly a fraudulent claim, what will they do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Have the leaks started?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fine-gael-swing-fall-probe-finds-maria-baileys-claim-overstated-impact-of-injuries-38289269.html

Fine Gael swing fall probe finds Maria Bailey's claim overstated impact of injuries

So if it's clearly a fraudulent claim, what will they do?

Little or nothing unless there is real public pressure put on Leo and co. to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

So they take the easy way out and then charge us for it? Are you kidding here?

My guess is that it is cheaper for the insurance companies to pay out than contest many of the bogus claims. This makes sense when you see some of the examples that judges entertain in the courts and consider legal costs.
    They at running a business, it's logical to choose the less expensive course of action. Ultimately what is less expensive for the insurers will be less expensive for consumers too.

I'm not saying all is right in the industry or that Pearse Doherty doesn't have a good point, but I think he's making much of it for the sake of the cameras. I'll be impressed by him once he gets something to change for the better, but not before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The last refuge of the scoundrel, start attacking other political entities in a strained effort to mask shortcomings of their own. The desperation is all too apparent.

What are you on about? Calm down man. Anyways, I’m off out for the afternoon. Lovely weather and all that. Let’s hope I don’t have an accident that involves me having to make a claim. I leave ye to it for a few hours. Minimum danger sitting behind a keyboard I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I just don't understand why we don't have a system where if you have an accident on a premises that your medical costs are covered. Why the huge sums of money? Didn't a kid cut their lip in a creche a while ago and got a pay out of €20k? (I maybe wrong with the amount as there's so many of these cases). It's not always someone else's fault when there's an accident.

Think it was stated in this thread, but in NZ your medical expenses are covered but you can't sue the proprietor. Obviously it would be different with negligence claims but NZ have a very successful outdoor activity/adventure sector where we're closing down any kind of physical activity.

It's a sorry state of affairs that we're being told we have a childhood obesity problem, yet kids aren't allowed do any physical activities for fear of getting sued or the cost of insurance.

Let’s hope I don't stage an accident that involves me having to make a claim.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

boombang wrote: »
    My guess is that it is cheaper for the insurance companies to pay out than contest many of the bogus claims. This makes sense when you see some of the examples that judges entertain in the courts and consider legal costs.
    They at running a business, it's logical to choose the less expensive course of action. Ultimately what is less expensive for the insurers will be less expensive for consumers too.

I'm not saying all is right in the industry or that Pearse Doherty doesn't have a good point, but I think he's making much of it for the sake of the cameras. I'll be impressed by him once he gets something to change for the better, but not before then.
    PD's job and the job of opposition is to expose. He did that.
    The change has to come from those with the power

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Not all posters on boards attacking every political party and entity except FG, are Finner bots.

*except they actually are :)

Little or nothing unless there is real public pressure put on Leo and co. to act.

If a member of the public made an official complaint to Gardaí, would they be compelled to investigate the Bailey fraud?

(I mean after the Gardaí did a McCabe-like silencing job on the member of the public!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I can see how Doherty would appear impressive to some of the regulars around here. Shouting isn’t leadership though, and indignant bluster and faux outrage doesn’t keep the bills paid and the lights on. Real shower of hurlers on the ditch. A rather unimpressive man from a very unimpressive party. That’s why they lost more than half their seats at local and European level. People can seen through the thin veneer of outrage they rely on, and see they stand for nothing. Might have had a bit more appeal to people when they were associated with burying bodies (as opposed to FG burying this report I suppose).

Good one JF. In all your arrogance you obviously didn't watch the video. Pearse Doherty is asking all the right questions and asserting himself well. Not shouting.

I do not think I have ever seen a FG committee member perform at that level. Certainly not the chair of the housing commitee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

But the insurance companies aren't going to waste their time sending buckets of evidence over to the DPP and wait for them to select whatever selection meet a threshold for a reasonable chance of prosecution. It's only going to be in the insurance industry's interest to refer small proportion of most obvious examples. There's good reason to expect the cases referred for prosecution to be well below the proportion they believe to be fraud.

Why would they do that?

Wouldn't it be a case of contacting the Gardai, reporting what they suspect is a fraudulent claim, and the Gardai go on to investigate.

You'd have the suspect claim rates drop overnight if that was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

What was wrong in what he said :confused:...no shouting in video i seen

Cut through bullsh1t and bluster and straight to point establishing releveant facts and info through relevent questions,

As impressive a performance ive seen from an irish politian in a long time irregradles of party

.....this isnt a partisan issue....it affects everyone

What are you on about? Calm down man. Anyways, I’m off out for the afternoon. Lovely weather and all that. Let’s hope I don’t have an accident that involves me having to make a claim. I leave ye to it for a few hours. Minimum danger sitting behind a keyboard I suppose.

To be brutally honest, all your contributions on this thread to date have been either naïve, idiotic or whataboutery. Sometimes even all 3 in a single post. Enjoy your walk and hopefully you can actually debate the issues at hand when you return.

Maria didn't either.

Still claimed though.

Amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This nonsense from yourself and your shadow (and a few others) is wearing very thin at this point - throw in an idiotic statement with a personal insult, then run away when called out on it :rolleyes:

I'd report it, but what's the point? Like reality TV I suppose it makes good "viewing" to have some controversial/contrarian characters. You're fooling no-one though.

Enjoy your afternoon!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This nonsense from yourself and your shadow (and a few others) is wearing very thin at this point - throw in an idiotic statement with a personal insult, then run away when called out on it :rolleyes:

I'd report it, but what's the point? Like reality TV I suppose it makes good "viewing" to have some controversial/contrarian characters. You're fooling no-one though.

Enjoy your afternoon!

Like a pantomime dame, with two ugly sisters.

I see Maria Bailey's trending on Twitter today again.

Lol, the three amigos think this is forgotten about and nobody's interested in it.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

For the record. That’s three weeks in a row bailey and this issue has been trending on twitter.

On Sunday.

Because the Sunday papers.

Which are the only papers a certain class of people with clout actually read as a matter of fact.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Are Fine Gael going to take any actions following the outcome of the review? The businesspeople of Ireland are watching and waiting.

Balanadan wrote: »
    Are Fine Gael going to take any actions following the outcome of the review? The businesspeople of Ireland are watching and waiting.

I think there's a responsibility on us all to focus our outrage into feedback to politicians to let them know this isn't over and it matters. Twitter is a good tool to do that. We've got to keep the pressure up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

JeffKenna wrote: »
    If they have the report then they're towing the line as there hasn't been a peep about Ms Madigan

So far

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

So far

Long week ahead for FG i would suspect.

Apologies if this has been posted but this is what we need. Hard questions of the industry and their enablers both. I’m no shinner but more of this across the board please. Cos if FG leave this rigouros type of questioning to the likes of SF people will raise their ears and start looking at their choices next election

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1147182930848038912?s=21

PD, an excellent politician, just a pity he is a shiner.

NOT as unimpressive as your gaffer Leo or the so called party he represents.

Why would they do that?

Wouldn't it be a case of contacting the Gardai, reporting what they suspect is a fraudulent claim, and the Gardai go on to investigate.

You'd have the suspect claim rates drop overnight if that was happening.

If it's as simple as just sending over anything that they believe to be bogus to the guards then we should see more than the low volume of referrals that the insurance industry people reported to the Dail committee. I don't believe the low volumes being reported currently represents the proportion of total fraud. The truth has to be more nuanced than Doherty's grandstanding is making out. I'm not saying PD's wrong, but I think he doesn't examine the issue as well as he might because he's looking for the favourable footage, which some have taken at full face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

If it's as simple as just sending over anything that they believe to be bogus to the guards

They should start by sending Farrell's file, including the photos that he stated showed damage to his car caused in the incident he was claiming. These were shown to be from a completely different incident as confirmed by his mechanic.

Surely this case would be a great place to start.

They should start by sending Farrell's file, including the photos that he stated showed damage to his car caused in the incident he was claiming. These were shown to be from a completely different incident as confirmed by his mechanic.

Surely this case would be a great place to start.

I would love to see that, but I believe the guards aren't interested in these cases. I think some member of the public tried to report Bailey for fraud, but the guards said there wasn't enough evidence. I'd love it if someone did have enough on Farrell to get him charged.

Still, legal standards of evidence or not, Leo's weakness is the big story for me currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'm confused... Now that it has been confirmed she was making a fraudulent claim, does that mean that everything she said on SOC was a lie?
    Has humanity NOT been crossed?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I don't get why people on here outraged about Maria Bailey are praising PD at the same time.

If I didn't know any better I'd think he was working for FG because he's completely trying to take the media eye off fraudulent claims. :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I don't get why people on here outraged about Maria Bailey are praising PD at the same time.

If I didn't know any better I'd think he was working for FG because he's completely trying to take the media eye off fraudulent claims. :confused::confused:
    I think before Maria Bailey story blew up, the EU were already investigating Insurance companies in Ireland for operating like a cartel.
    The story blew up and the Independent has been running similar stories ever since, but while they are driving up prices, the Insurance companies are still getting away with their own ridiculous price hikes in everything else, and there is no way that all of those hikes are because of fraudulent claims.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement