Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Green spot and yellow spot, Any thoughts on these? I've not tasted either but looking for a change from jameson. Where is good to get them price wise?
    Thanks

What about red spot? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Rew wrote: »
    Anyone else get the email about investing in the new single malt pot still whiskey from Blacks Distillery, Kinsale?

It'll be an interesting one to watch out for in five or six years time.

Yeah i have the prospectus, its a tough one, their beer is decent but their gin seems to have not gotten much traction in the market. 2025 could be a very crowded Irish whiskey market for them to release to.[/quote

The gin just never took off but it was a late comer to a market that was over saturated and offered nothing unique. Dingle arrived on the Gin scene with a great gin, plenty of free, branded glasses that became trendy and a bottle worth reusing. They shocked themselves with the sales of what was only meant to be a product that would help support Whiskey production.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Yeah i have the prospectus, its a tough one, their beer is decent but their gin seems to have not gotten much traction in the market. 2025 could be a very crowded Irish whiskey market for them to release to.

The gin market in Ireland is completely and utterly saturated!!!

Celtic Whiskey Shop has about 150 different bottles of Irish Gin. It's mental! How anyone is to differentiate between them all baffles me yet more and more different distillers seem to release gins onto the market.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I wonder will the 2025 Irish Whiskey market be much the same as the current gin one.

I also think that Blacks suffer form branding problems in general TBH, other brands have been more successful with tapping into the brand recognition of their location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yeah i have the prospectus, its a tough one, their beer is decent but their gin seems to have not gotten much traction in the market. 2025 could be a very crowded Irish whiskey market for them to release to.

How much are they looking for an investment and what do you get for it? Or better still, is there an online form of the prospectus?

VW 1 wrote: »
    How much are they looking for an investment and what do you get for it? Or better still, is there an online form of the prospectus?

Let me google that for you ;)

https://www.blacksbrewery.com/founder.html

I wonder will the 2025 Irish Whiskey market be much the same as the current gin one.

I don’t think it’s physically possible to be honest.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

How can something be single malt and single pot still?

One by definition can't have unmalted barley in its mash and the other by definition has to.

Production will start in December 2019 of Single Malt Pot Still in Black’s Distillery Kinsale.

You and they can repeat it as much as you want. It doesn't change the fact that malt whiskey has to be from 100% malt and pot still whiskey has to have malt and unmalted in it. They're mutually exclusive.

mod: no name calling.

How can something be single malt and single pot still?

One by definition can't have unmalted barley in its mash and the other by definition has to.

Production will start in December 2019 of Single Malt Pot Still in Black’s Distillery Kinsale.

You and they can repeat it as much as you want. It doesn't change the fact that malt whiskey has to be from 100% malt and pot still whiskey has to have malt and unmalted in it. They're mutually exclusive.
    Anyone who claims anything other than Town Branch is the best bourbon going is just flat out wrong.

We had visitors from Kentucky and I was given a bottle of Town Branch and another of Woodford Reserve - I had to drink the Town Branch with ginger ale.

I found the Woodford Reserve was much smoother.

Pansy

Are you sure about these facts you claim?

• Advertisement

Yes. If you were to do a quick google, you could verify them for yourself in about 8 seconds.

Can you share the full email?

Gracias, didn't realise the details were openly available online, should've checked first as its a pet peeve of mine people asking for readily available info! :D

Yes. If you were to do a quick google, you could verify them for yourself in about 8 seconds.

I think its a mistake by someone in marketing, it only says that in one place. They have bought pot stills but the detailed docs all say single malt is the product, someone conflated the physical stills and the product.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Gracias, didn't realise the details were openly available online, should've checked first as its a pet peeve of mine people asking for readily available info! :D

To be fair It all sounds a bit secret and exclusive but in reality they want to sell the barrels so its all out there for public consumption.

I think its a mistake by someone in marketing, it only says that in one place. They have bought pot stills but the detailed docs all say single malt is the product, someone conflated the physical stills and the product.

Not a great start to promote interest in potential investors.

@Eagererbeaver sorry but I’m not at liberty to share, but I’m sure it won’t take long for you to find it.

Meh, I'm not going to go searching, the wording just made me curious as, like I said, they're mutually exclusive.

I was just wondering whether it was someone in the distillery who didn't have a clue and was just spouting buzzwords or whether it was a deliberate attempt to try and put a premium panel on something by labelling it as both single malt and pot still.

Actually reading back they dont ever say they are making a pot still single malt they said once
    pot stilled single malt Irish whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Actually reading back they dont ever say they are making a pot still single malt they said once

Irish Single malt, by definition, is pot stilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BTW, I'm pretty certain that Black's released their gin in 2015. They weren't particularly late to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I think the website was written by a cabbage so maybe disregard the single malt/pot still bit:

"If you would like to received the full prospectus and order form please email"

"from the Irelands Newest Whiskey Micro Distillery!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Theres typos all over that, unbelievably bad for marketing documentation. Especially if its been printed typos and all which it likely has been.

Theres typos all over that, unbelievably bad for marketing documentation. Especially if its been printed typos and all which it likely has been.

Yup, misspelled aficionado and another word on the last page also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Was in Newark Airport at the weekend and picked up 2x 1 litre bottles of Woodford Reserve for €65, happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you sure about these facts you claim?
    Those facts are pretty common knowledge. It’s literally the basic DEFINITION OF EITHER TYPE.
    Of few of us were discussing it only last week. The whiskey categories are set up in such a way so as to be mutually exclusive.
    I know nothing about their plans. But I’d be pretty confident that they will be producing a single malt Irish whiskey not a pot still Irish whiskey.
    Like all single malts, it will be made in a pot still not a coffey still

mod: no name calling.

For the avoidance of doubt, my "pansy" comment towards the heathen that didn't like Town Branch was meant to be tongue in cheek. I thought that would have been obvious but apparently not.

As always, when it comes to flavour and taste, it's each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Irish whiskey has been granted special protection status today by the EU similar to champagne in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cazale wrote: »
    Irish whiskey has been granted special protection status today by the EU similar to champagne in France.

I read that and was surprised it hasn't been in place for decades especially when you consider Pernod-Ricard's involvement ... was someone asleep at the wheel on it? Curious it's only happening now.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I read that and was surprised it hasn't been in place for decades especially when you consider Pernod-Ricard's involvement ... was someone asleep at the wheel on it? Curious it's only happening now.

Living abroad Ireland is defo missing a trick in promoting and marketing whiskey compared to Scotch. Having said that Jameson is extremely popular worldwide but I definitely think the Irish whiskey industry could do with being a bit more assertive abroad. We have this wonderful product but it's under developed when compared to Scotch. I have been saying this for years but the last 5-6 years has seen an explosion in new products so perhaps others are seeing the potential too plus I just want to stick it to the Scots.

About 3 years I speaking to a local lad at home who was set up a thriving brewery in the past 5 years. I had this very conversation with him about Irish distilleries and the potential and he said money is the big stumbling block. He said you need a min investment of €2m to get it up an running and of course maintained for years before you sell a drop.

Now I have no idea about that figure but that is from a successful publican in the trade all his life who set up a new successful brewery from scratch.

Living abroad Ireland is defo missing a trick in promoting and marketing whiskey compared to Scotch. Having said that Jameson is extremely popular worldwide but I definitely think the Irish whiskey industry could do with being a bit more assertive abroad. We have this wonderful product but it's under developed when compared to Scotch. I have been saying this for years but the last 5-6 years has seen an explosion in new products so perhaps others are seeing the potential too plus I just want to stick it to the Scots.

About 3 years I speaking to a local lad at home who was set up a thriving brewery in the past 5 years. I had this very conversation with him about Irish distilleries and the potential and he said money is the big stumbling block. He said you need a min investment of €2m to get it up an running and of course maintained for years before you sell a drop.

Now I have no idea about that figure but that is from a successful publican in the trade all his life who set up a new successful brewery from scratch.

Sounds about right, the lads behind Blacks are looking to sell 500 casks up front to raise an overall investment of 3,330,000 euro.

For the life of me I can't understand how they made such a balls of the launch of the prospectus and it slipped through all the checks before being released.

Having a Chivas Regal with Ginger, bring on the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement