Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I read that and was surprised it hasn't been in place for decades especially when you consider Pernod-Ricard's involvement ... was someone asleep at the wheel on it? Curious it's only happening now.
    The 2014 spec for Pot still (and other whiskey) that be spoke about in here last week was part of that process I believe. It probably takes a few years to go through all the red tape.
    Living abroad Ireland is defo missing a trick in promoting and marketing whiskey compared to Scotch.

It's not a marketing and promotion issue. It's stems from actions 200 years ago. Irish Whiskey dominated the spirit market globally in 1800. which is insane for a tiny green spec in the corner of europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Picked up some Powers Johns Lane Release last night its a beautiful dram, really like it is such a nice spicy whiskey. I first had it back in October of last year, at the time I wasn't a fan, but my taste buds have since changed have drank a lot of whiskey since then and having attended Whiskey Live ( this gave me a chance to try some stuff I never had before).

On the Irish whiskey market over the coming years would any one fear the market maybe become saturated with sub standard whiskey? The flipside obviously is a rising tide raises all ships but I find unlike Scotland we dont really have designated styles, Highland, Speyside, Islay, Lowlands. Alot of Irish whiskey can tend to be similar and if everyone is doing very similar whiskey surely there is no diversity. When I say similar, alot of Irish whiskey will rely on it's type of casks used at the start or finished in.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chong wrote: »

On the Irish whiskey market over the coming years would any one fear the market maybe become saturated with sub standard whiskey? The flipside obviously is a rising tide raises all ships but I find unlike Scotland we dont really have designated styles, Highland, Speyside, Islay, Lowlands. Alot of Irish whiskey can tend to be similar and if everyone is doing very similar whiskey surely there is no diversity. When I say similar, alot of Irish whiskey will rely on it's type of casks used at the start or finished in.

Any thoughts?

I think we're going to see a whole lot of innovation in the industry in the coming years.
    Some good innovation and some silly stuff, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Chong wrote: »
    Picked up some Powers Johns Lane Release last night its a beautiful dram, really like it is such a nice spicy whiskey. I first had it back in October of last year, at the time I wasn't a fan, but my taste buds have since changed have drank a lot of whiskey since then and having attended Whiskey Live ( this gave me a chance to try some stuff I never had before).

Any thoughts?

I think there will be a lot of generic Irish whiskey (lots of cooley stock floating around) but as usual with these things cream rises to the top eventually. I'd love to see some of the new smaller distilleries just perfect one style and stick to it to begin with. Seems to be a lot of branding first and worry about the distillate later at the minute.

Powers Johns Lane is a beautiful whiskey, it took years i'd imagine to get it to the standard it is and trial/error. I think for a lot of new distilleries it will be a few years before we see their true identity come out. It's exciting watching the evolution of places over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

opened a bottle of Caskmates Stout edition I bought last year. Either my tastes are changing or the quality isn't the same as it used to be. Its very similar to the regular Jameson. I don't think it has the smoothness it once had

I wouldn't be buying anymore (have two litres at home to get through)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Visited the Dylan Whiskey Bar last night in Kilkenny. Had some very nice whiskeys including -

Powers 15 year old Kilkenny whiskey Guild
    Red Breast 12 Cask strength
    Red spot
    Bowmore 15
    Nikka All Malt
    Writers tears cask strength

The powers was my favourite of the lot. Only 192 bottles produced. Still prefer the green spot over the red especially when it's only half the price.

Cazale wrote: »
    Visited the Dylan Whiskey Bar last night in Kilkenny. Had some very nice whiskeys including -

Powers 15 year old Kilkenny whiskey Guild
    Red Breast 12 Cask strength
    Red spot
    Bowmore 15
    Nikka All Malt
    Writers tears cask strength

The powers was my favourite of the lot. Only 192 bottles produced. Still prefer the green spot over the red especially when it's only half the price.

How much were they charging for the powers? I know a bottle of it will set you back 275 to buy.

How much were they charging for the powers? I know a bottle of it will set you back 275 to buy.

It was 18 euro which I thought was reasonable enough considering the price of the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

What would people recommend buying on a budget of about €35? I'm a fan of caskmates and black barrel. Open to suggestions beyond that. Fancy trying something new but money is tight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Bassfish wrote: »
    What would people recommend buying on a budget of about €35? I'm a fan of caskmates and black barrel. Open to suggestions beyond that. Fancy trying something new but money is tight!!

Writers tears, should get it at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,956 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Roe and Co 35e in Tesco at the mo.
    You should be able to pickup Jameson Crested or Bushmills Black Bush for less than that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Cazale wrote: »
    It was 18 euro which I thought was reasonable enough considering the price of the bottle.

Yeah for sure. I heard the cask itself to buy was around 30000 so not surprised the bottles are so expensive. Glad you enjoyed it, i'll be trying it myself when in Kk next time around.

Dylans is a nice pub for a drop.

Bassfish wrote:

Jameson Crested or Teelings small batch.

Crested Ten. Good bit of pot still in it if you are into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Off to Edinburgh next week, any suggestions besides the scotch whisky experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Off to Edinburgh next week, any suggestions besides the scotch whisky experience?

If you like chicken wings go to a place called "wings" between high st and cowgate, its also just around the corner from the Brewdog Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Others on the forum may have some hidden gems, but I simply enjoyed walking the Royal Mile stopping by each whisky shop on the way, some breathtaking selections.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Not whisky related but if you are interested in rum at all the Blue Blazer has a big selection (70+, if I recall correctly).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Irishman Founders Reserve is about that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Mate of mine is heading to Japan soon, going to get him to pick up a bottle of Whiskey for me , is there anything I can ask him to get at a reasonable price around 60 -70 mark or do I need to over the ton ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Go across the street and check out Camera Obscura. However you might wish to consider in which order you visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Go across the street and check out Camera Obscura. However you might wish to consider in which order you visit.

Haha, yes indeed, that is on the list..I believe it's quite like the atomium in Brussels... might be better to see before a few drams right enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Wife is heading to NY next week, does anyone know if JFK duty free has a decent selection and if they’re good value?

Or can you buy in Dublin on the way back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,956 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wife is heading to NY next week, does anyone know if JFK duty free has a decent selection and if they’re good value?

Alas not really and no. You defo cant buy Dublin for way back only outbound. Check out Monkey Shoulder in NY.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

vasch_ro wrote: »
    Mate of mine is heading to Japan soon, going to get him to pick up a bottle of Whiskey for me , is there anything I can ask him to get at a reasonable price around 60 -70 mark or do I need to over the ton ?
    There's definitely good japanese whiskey in the 60-70 range. But I'm not sure if it actually cheaper in japan at this point. Japan is expensive generally, and the whiskey crisis has caused a lot of prices to sky rocket there.
    Certainly shopping centre, airport prices will be expensive. But maybe he'd pick up something a Celtic Nippon Whiskey shop type place.

Nikka from the Barrel is €32 in Dublin Airport. Great drop for that price. (Only 50cl mind).
    Nikka Coffey Malt or Coffey Grain are €55. Another great whiskey, and discontinued so will become rare for the next few years.

USe those prices as a guide for what's availible over there

No Duty free in Dublin arrivals anymore.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

picachu wrote: »
    opened a bottle of Caskmates Stout edition I bought last year. Either my tastes are changing or the quality isn't the same as it used to be. Its very similar to the regular Jameson. I don't think it has the smoothness it once had

I wouldn't be buying anymore (have two litres at home to get through)
    I tried this before but each time I drank some, I found that whilst it was better than the IPA version, I didn't really like it.
    For me, Black Barrell or else Crested 10
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Alas not really and no. You defo cant buy Dublin for way back only outbound. Check out Monkey Shoulder in NY.
    You can buy when heading out and collect from the small shop at arrivals on your return - I did this a few months ago when getting Red Spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

You can buy when heading out and collect from the small shop at arrivals on your return - I did this a few months ago when getting Red Spot.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK this only applies to EU flights (they are not duty free prices). They do not sell at duty free prices if the bottles are staying in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

sceach16 wrote: »
    You can buy when heading out and collect from the small shop at arrivals on your return - I did this a few months ago when getting Red Spot.

AFAIK this only applies to EU flights (they are not duty free prices). They do not sell at duty free prices if the bottles are staying in Ireland.

I think you need an EU boarding pass aswell in order to avail of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

For me, Black Barrell or else Crested 10

If I could find Black Barrel for under €35 outside of a duty free I'd buy a year's supply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If I could find Black Barrel for under €35 outside of a duty free I'd buy a year's supply

Well, Centra currently have it for €38

https://centra.ie/offers?category_id=512

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement