Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

There's a cocktail bar near me that finishes off a whiskey cocktail with a "Laphraoig Spray". It works really well as you get the lovely smell of the smoke but it doesn't kill other flavours.

Smoked old fashioned ftw though when it comes to a whiskey cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Anyone ever use a peaty scotch in an old fashioned? I have only ever used Irish or bourbon. I must give it a go purely for scientific purposes :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wailin wrote: »
    Anyone ever use a peaty scotch in an old fashioned? I have only ever used Irish or bourbon. I must give it a go purely for scientific purposes :D

Yes. Ugh.

Now, I wouldn't even use Irish myself, and tastes vary. And it was very cheap scotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Kind of guessed it wouldn't be great, sweet and peaty probably don't mix well! I prefer bourbon myself, Irish just too smooth (well Jameson anyway).

What's the preferred bourbon in general? I've used Bulleit (nice) and Eagle rare (not so nice).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Wailin wrote:
    Anyone ever use a peaty scotch in an old fashioned? I have only ever used Irish or bourbon. I must give it a go purely for scientific purposes

I had it out one night. I wouldn't recommend it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

What's the preferred bourbon in general? I've used Bulleit (nice) and Eagle rare (not so nice).

Try Woodford Reserve.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

+1 on the Woodford Reserve. I'm not a fan of bourbon, but it has changed my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Woodford reserve in an old fashioned is well tasty. I'd go for Makers Mark also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Proper 12. Doing the job now- should finally get some sleep now after fourth glass

Kind of guessed it wouldn't be great, sweet and peaty probably don't mix well! I prefer bourbon myself, Irish just too smooth (well Jameson anyway).

Makers Mark or Four Roses for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Teeling 24-Year-Old Vintage Reserve won the world's best single malt at the world whiskies awards last night. They had this hidden away at their stand at whiskey live last year and I managed to get a sample. Very nice stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,567 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I love Eagle Rare bourbon. Lovely bit of vanilla from it.

Woodford is nice, as is Knob Creek. Angels Envy is the best booze in the world but we cant get it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Try Woodford Reserve.

Agreed. I always have a bottle of Woodford on the shelf. Double Oaked is particularly nice.
    Knob Creek is another nice Bourbon worth trying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Cazale wrote: »
    Teeling 24-Year-Old Vintage Reserve won the world's best single malt at the world whiskies awards last night. They had this hidden away at their stand at whiskey live last year and I managed to get a sample. Very nice stuff.

and Celtic Whiskey Shop won World’s Best Single Outlet Retailer.

Very impressive all round.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    and Celtic Whiskey Shop won World’s Best Single Outlet Retailer.

Very impressive all round.

Why isn't this kind of thing celebrated more? Amazing achievements from both.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thekerrycyclist

Maker's Mark and Eagle Rare are my go to bourbons these days. The best that I have tasted so far.

Maker's Mark and Eagle Rare are my go to bourbons these days. The best that I have tasted so far.

Blantons is excellent, if a little overpriced.

Basil Haydens also well worth a taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thekerrycyclist

Thanks for the recommendations... will add them to my list

Anyone who claims anything other than Town Branch is the best bourbon going is just flat out wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

I have to say i think Jameson black barrell is a great whiskey... especially when available at 30 quid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

picachu wrote: »
    I have to say i think Jameson black barrell is a great whiskey... especially when available at 30 quid

Absolutely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Hi all, looking for some advice:

I have seen a bottle of Dingle Batch #1 in an off license for €290.

Would this be worth purchasing for drinking, for collecting, for future resale?

I have a bottle of the SuperValu batch (bought in SuperValu Dingle when it was out), but havent had the guts to open and try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I have a bottle of the SuperValu batch (bought in SuperValu Dingle when it was out), but havent had the guts to open and try it.

I would guess that you have discovered the last off license in the world that actually has any Dingle Batch#1 for sale.

I think it was around the 90 euro mark when it was first released and very quickly became a collectors item, it was making around 500 pounds a bottle at auction 6 months ago.

I think price wise all Dingle bottles actually peaked about 6 months ago and has been steadily dropping since. It's still a very young brand though and will no doubt climb again.

If you can afford to buy it and forget about it for a couple of years it should be a good investment.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Anyone else get the email about investing in the new single malt pot still whiskey from Blacks Distillery, Kinsale?

It'll be an interesting one to watch out for in five or six years time.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

How can something be single malt and single pot still?

One by definition can't have unmalted barley in its mash and the other by definition has to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

One by definition can't have unmalted barley I'm its mash and the ley by definition has to.

It can't be.
    Poster is mistaken.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

It's currently selling for 350ish so would be worth picking up

One by definition can't have unmalted barley in its mash and the other by definition has to.

Production will start in December 2019 of Single Malt Pot Still in Black’s Distillery Kinsale.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Anyone else get the email about investing in the new single malt pot still whiskey from Blacks Distillery, Kinsale?

It'll be an interesting one to watch out for in five or six years time.

Yeah i have the prospectus, its a tough one, their beer is decent but their gin seems to have not gotten much traction in the market. 2025 could be a very crowded Irish whiskey market for them to release to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭granturismo

Anyone who claims anything other than Town Branch is the best bourbon going is just flat out wrong.

We had visitors from Kentucky and I was given a bottle of Town Branch and another of Woodford Reserve - I had to drink the Town Branch with ginger ale.

I found the Woodford Reserve was much smoother.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement