Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

a quick google of "Bushmills 21 year 120.00" give you this :)
    https://nutsaboutwine.ie/shop/bushmills-21-year-old-malt-whiskey-70cl/

That's the one...I only sent PM's to people who were interested in my post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Watching Boston mob flick Monument Avenue starring Denis Leary... serious amount of Powers whiskey bottles on display. Usual drink order at the bah is a shot of Powers and glass of lager... at least until a snitch gets shot and the bah empties!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0119802/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Just took delivery of the Yellow Spot and a Connemara Peated malt to replace the one just finished...
    What can I expect with Yellow Spot? comparison wise..I like my Redbreast and am partial to a nice Glenfiddich...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Just took delivery of the Yellow Spot and a Connemara Peated malt to replace the one just finished...
    What can I expect with Yellow Spot? comparison wise..I like my Redbreast and am partial to a nice Glenfiddich...

Personally, I'd fine Green Spot more like Redbreast, so it won't be too similar.
    I also get a bit of a liquorice tang off of the Yellow Spot. Not sure if I'm alone or not there..

I'd take Green over Yellow, but both fine whiskeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭jayjbe

Picked up couple of bottle of jameson deconstructed. Lively and Round. Plan to give one to father-in-law and keep other. Obviously keep the nicer one :D Anyone with opinions on nicest one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

On a Kilkerran 12 year old tonight. 46% abv. Got it as a present a few years ago & hadn't had any for a while. It's bloody fantastic! Had forgotten how nice it was. Followed it up with a wee Redbreast Cask strength & it stood up very well against it!

Hard to believe it's only 50 in Celtic whiskey shop, highly recommended. Comes from the Springbank distillery in Campbeltown. One of the few remaining independent distilleries in Scotland afaik.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/34256/kilkerran-12-year-old

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Nikka From the Barrel, picked it up in Dublin airport and it it turned out to be on-sale when I got it to the till so happy days. Its lovely but I i think I prefer The Coffee Malt (which has been suspended from production! :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Boss brought me back a tin of Stillhouse Black Bourbon from the states, not sure about a bourbon aged in coffee beans, anybody tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Greg81

Boss brought me back a tin of Stillhouse Black Bourbon from the states, not sure about a bourbon aged in coffee beans, anybody tried this?

Stillhouse is the one in metal canister?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Greg81 wrote: »
    Stillhouse is the one in metal canister?

Yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,186 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've never heard of it until know. Kinda surprise coffee beans are permitted. But I suppose the American laws are more lax than Ireland/Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Can't say the idea of coffee-infused whiskey appeals to me at all.

Whiskey-infused coffee however ;)

Can't say the idea of coffee-infused whiskey appeals to me at all.

Whiskey-infused coffee however ;)

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQJJNwsxVGhE2-l8iizv_pzpxooySduo9eJdMUpWy6CK209KXCP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Had a glass of Inish Turk Beg single malt and a couple of glasses of Laphroaig 10 today in Galway.

They had a bottle of dream cask redbreast but wouldn't open it. The barman let me hold the bottle to take a photo. Was tempted to run off with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

The dream cask is going for over a grand now at auctions. Think they were €500 when first released?

Wailin wrote: »
    The dream cask is going for over a grand now at auctions. Think they were €500 when first released?

Not surprised. Zero supply, huge demand. With only a handful of bottles, there was always going to be silly prices on secondary market.
    They probably could have got more than €500 originally if they tried too

Wailin wrote:

Yeah I would have got one but they sold out in a day I think. Loads of people seem to have bought them as investments. I would have just drank the thing!

Drinking a glass of coopers croze. It's a nice smooth balanced whiskey. Haven't tried the distillers safe or blenders dog yet. What do people think of the whiskey maker series?

Ardbeg Uigeadail tonight for me. Wind howling outside, fire embers dying...couldn't think of a whisky more suitable :D

Never tried the makers series myself but from what I've heard they are quiet nice.

Wailin wrote:
    Ardbeg Uigeadail tonight for me. Wind howling outside, fire embers dying...couldn't think of a whisky more suitable

I finally have it ordered from my local O'Briens. Should have it next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Ardbeg Uigeadail tonight for me. Wind howling outside, fire embers dying...couldn't think of a whisky more suitable :D

Never tried the makers series myself but from what I've heard they are quiet nice.

Good lord I bought this in Gatwick duty free last week, its incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Is it much better than the ten? Haven't touched ardbeg since an ungodly hangover I gave myself on the stuff last summer.

Is it much better than the ten? Haven't touched ardbeg since an ungodly hangover I gave myself on the stuff last summer.

It's subjective, as with all whiskies as you know. But I prefer the Uigeadail. It has that sherry influence, where the ten doesn't. Gives it a fuller, richer taste profile and the cask strength gives it that extra kick too. The ten is very nice but it has a slightly underlying bitterness.

I'd prefer Lagavulin 16's Earthy taste over Ardbeg 10 but I respect Ardbeg as they don't chill filter or add colouring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Cazale wrote: »
    Drinking a glass of coopers croze. It's a nice smooth balanced whiskey. Haven't tried the distillers safe or blenders dog yet. What do people think of the whiskey maker series?

In my opinion Blenders Dog is the best, followed by Coopers Croze and Distillers Safe is meh but I have bought bottles for the first 2 and only sampled the 3rd in a pub. Tesco discount them to €55 a couple of times a year, worth keeping an eye for it.

It's subjective, as with all whiskies as you know. But I prefer the Uigeadail. It has that sherry influence, where the ten doesn't. Gives it a fuller, richer taste profile and the cask strength gives it that extra kick too. The ten is very nice but it has a slightly underlying bitterness.

I'd prefer Lagavulin 16's Earthy taste over Ardbeg 10 but I respect Ardbeg as they don't chill filter or add colouring.

I like sherry influence so I think i'll be picking up a bottle soon as i've been light on islay lately, been more into the pot still whiskeys the past few months. I get what you mean with Lagavulin 16 - i'd be the opposite prefering Ardbeg 10. I love the nose on it and as you said it's an 'integrity' bottling. Never been a fan of the hype market around ardbeg though for their special releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Friend picked up a bottle of Auchentoshan from Scotland, lovely stuff, triple distilled and lots of citrus/honey flavor.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

minzabud wrote: »
    Friend picked up a bottle of Auchentoshan from Scotland, lovely stuff, triple distilled and lots of citrus/honey flavor.

Had some of that at a recent whiskey tasting, you'd mistake it for Irish due to how smooth it is, we had Irish and Scotch and was a tough one to pick as scotch.

Never had it before, and it was lovely, must pick up a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Had some of that at a recent whiskey tasting, you'd mistake it for Irish due to how smooth it is, we had Irish and Scotch and was a tough one to pick as scotch.

That's the triple distillation for you.

I've had three different ones before. The 12, Three Wood and Springwood. All really good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

For those in the UK Amazon have Redbreast 12 year old for £35.99.

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote: »

I believe the distillery in principle tailored to the irish in Glasgow hence the similarities. Cannot remember where I read that before so might be talking out my arse. Lovely distillery to visit as well. Suntory Beam own them so it'll be interesting what they decide to do with the distillery going forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement