Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Wife is heading to NY next week, does anyone know if JFK duty free has a decent selection and if they’re good value?

Or can you buy in Dublin on the way back in?

She'll have a large check in bag as flying transatlantic. Buy it on way out duty free, stick in the hold on way back.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

sceach16 wrote: »
    You can buy when heading out and collect from the small shop at arrivals on your return - I did this a few months ago when getting Red Spot.

AFAIK this only applies to EU flights (they are not duty free prices). They do not sell at duty free prices if the bottles are staying in Ireland.

Even more specificity, it only applies to flights within the EU VAT area (so you can't do this when flying to the Canaries).

General rule of thumb, if you're charged the duty-free price on the way out, you have to take it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bottle of Slane on sale in OBriens for 30 quid. Never had it before. Looking forward to a drop later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

She'll have a large check in bag as flying transatlantic. Buy it on way out duty free, stick in the hold on way back.

Sounds like a plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

The Nal wrote:
    Bottle of Slane on sale in OBriens for 30 quid. Never had it before. Looking forward to a drop later.

Was in California in March
    Slane was $21
    Couldn't believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The Nal wrote:

Owned by the same drinks group that owns Jack Daniels and Woodford Reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Hold on. Apologies if I am reading this wrong.

Surely if you are buying it in Dublin on the way out you won't be able to get back through security in NY (more than 100ml) on the way back and you would have to check in with your luggage? I would thought Dublin has a facility to collect when you arrive back.

Cazale wrote:

Yep they wanted an Irish one on their portfolio and that's where slane came in
    They've some scotch as well

Surely if you are buying it in Dublin on the way out you won't be able to get back through security in NY (more than 100ml) on the way back and you would have to check in with your luggage? I would thought Dublin has a facility to collect when you arrive back.

Apology accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

To repeat what was said a few posts back, you can only collect on the way back if your destination is within the EU VAT area. If you buy duty free at Dublin Airport, you have to bring it with you.

Bringing it back in your hold luggage is perfectly fine (assuming it doesn't get smashed!) but be warned it will then count towards your inbound allowance. And if you're stopped at Dublin Airport on your return and found to be over allowance, it will be confiscated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

brinty wrote: »
    Was in California in March
    Slane was $21
    Couldn't believe it

Jameson was 12.40 euro in Slovakia last month.

We are being rode to death here.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Jameson was 12.40 euro in Slovakia last month.

We are being rode to death here.

Lowest price here is €20 in Tesco on offer atm.

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256409920

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cazale wrote: »

Ah didn't know that.

Woodford Reserve is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Powers Gold Label. Yay or nay @20 quid? (in tesco also)

gozunda wrote: »
    Lowest price here is €20 in Tesco on offer. Offer on atm.

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256409920

Funnily enough it was a Tesco in Bratislava I bought it for 12.40, got packs of
    cigarettes in the same shop for a friend. 200 Marlboro lights for 38 euro.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,960 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yay if you are going to drink it neat or with a drop of water.
    Nay if you are looking for a mixing whiskey - go with the €20 Jameson instead.
    For on the rocks Tullamore Dew is €23.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

absolutely yah for the same reasons given by odyssey06 (drop of water or neat)

absolutely yah for the same reasons given by odyssey06

The cheek of the pair of ye to rate Powers over Jameson.

Ye blasphemers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,960 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The cheek of the pair of ye to rate Powers over Jameson. Ye blasphemers.

Hey, don't ex-communicate me yet - if Tesco have the Jameson Crested on offer for €25 then that'd trump both :)
    If someone hasn't tried Powers and it's on offer at same price as Jameson then it's defo worth checking out given its high pot still content (versus more grain in Jameson) and typical age profile (5-7 year old whiskey versus 3-5 year old for Jameson).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

Yay, Yay , Yay. Est, Est, Est. Sea, Sea, Sea. Oui, Oui, Oui. The last is a phonetic spelling of Jameson.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Funnily enough it was a Tesco in Bratislava I bought it for 12.40, got packs of
    cigarettes in the same shop for a friend. 200 Marlboro lights for 38 euro.

They have Tesco in Bratislava?

gozunda wrote: »
    They have Tesco in Bratislava?

They have everything in Bratislava my friend.

Go there and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,953 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dunnes have Powers 1L for €30, which is margnially more expensive, but combine it with a 10 off 50 voucher and a couple of other things and you're quids in.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Looking to spend around €50 at the airport, but would go a little higher if there's something worth checking out.

I've never had the Redbreast 12, so thinking of asking the wife to pick up bottle of this for €46 - anything else worth considering?

https://www.theloop.ie/c/141/the-irish-whiskey-collection

I'd generally drink Bushmills as my 'everyday' whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I hope this isn't too off topic but any thoughts on whiskey glasses?

Do they make a difference and if so any recommendations and what makes a good glass?

Was looking at Glencairns and Norlans on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Can't go wrong with the glencairn. By far the most popular whiskey glass. Some find them a little too small but I think they are fine.

Got two Slane glasses on a tour there
    They're great too

Also picked up a new Japanese blend they I've never heard of before called Tokinoka. Second new Japanese blend I've found in a week. This one is apparently from some famous 400 year old brewery.

Bought the aul fella a Nokia Coffey Malt for his birthday so fancied some Japanese this weekend. Had a Nikka Pure Malt that I'm getting to the bottom of and then discovered this Tokinoka stuff I'd forgotten about. Really nice blend if you ever come across it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Can anyone tell me about Jamson Special Reserve. My wife got given a bottle and we are half way through it with no complaints :)

I've looked it up on line and no one seems to have or had the same version we have. Its 43% and in a clear bottle with a brown/black label where all the pictures on line are a green bottle and 40%?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement