Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Special reserve? Do you mean select or signature reserve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Special reserve? Do you mean select or signature reserve?

You're right its Select Reserve. For some reason I was googling Special reserve :rolleyes:

A bit of digging seems to reveal its the old style bottle and its now called Black Barrel but the the ABV has also changed, old 43% now 40%?

28db39ee5951cde5b8fae4caceafe5bc_1024x1024.png?v=1521483635

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

There used to be two select reserves: small batch and black barrel. Small batch has been discontinued and the other simply rebranded as Jameson Black Barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My dad brought me the signature reserve at Christmas and I felt it was no better than the standard stuff.
    Jameson gold reserve from a few years ago was much better. May have been a duty-free/international only edition

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

For any bushmills fans theres bottles for 17euro in dunnes stores at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Made my way through almost a full bottle of Makers Mark yesterday, Started with a few watching the football, got all giddy and before I knew it I'd drank 80% of the bottle. I was amazed this morning with no bad hangover, Tired and grumpy but no banging headache I'd have after Scotch or even wine..

Just Ice, so maybe all that water helped hydrate me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Went to Tesco just for cans and I think I picked up a really decent deal.

Jameson Black Barrel for €30. Picked up 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I looked today and was €23 in Galway. Must be special to your area?

EDIT: I did pick up a Glenlivet Founder's for €30 however. I haven't had it in a while and it's really a nice refreshing grassy, fruity scotch which suits the weather. I went a bit islay mad over the holidays so have been enjoying some speysides to lighten things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Talking of deals I found a bottle of Midleton Dair Ghealach in Germany for 175 euro last week. I know it's an expensive bottle even at that price but compared to Ireland prices it's a bargain so had to buy it. Keeping it on the shelf until next Christmas.

• Advertisement

not yet wrote: »
    Made my way through almost a full bottle of Makers Mark yesterday, Started with a few watching the football, got all giddy and before I knew it I'd drank 80% of the bottle. I was amazed this morning with no bad hangover, Tired and grumpy but no banging headache I'd have after Scotch or even wine..

Just Ice, so maybe all that water helped hydrate me:D

I find since switching almost exclusively drinking whiskey straight my hangovers have drastically reduced in pain.

I tend to remember to drink more water with it as you don't have that volume pints have that always put me off hydrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Looking to spend around €50 at the airport, but would go a little higher if there's something worth checking out.

I've never had the Redbreast 12, so thinking of asking the wife to pick up bottle of this for €46 - anything else worth considering?

https://www.theloop.ie/c/141/the-irish-whiskey-collection

I'd generally drink Bushmills as my 'everyday' whiskey.

Can’t go wrong with Redbreast. If it’s duty free try and go for the Lustau.

Mellor wrote: »
    My dad brought me the signature reserve at Christmas and I felt it was no better than the standard stuff.
    Jameson gold reserve from a few years ago was much better. May have been a duty-free/international only edition

I think the gold used some virgin american oak in it... Not sure what the age range was for it but do remember it being a good step up from Jameson as well when I had it. Remember buying a bottle in duty free for a relative. It last one night. Pity can't get it anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Visited the CWS in killarney the last 2 nights, their selection is mindblowing. Last night I had an Arran 14, very nice, followed by a Yamazaki 18, the most I've paid for a glass of whiskey, almost €40. Had to try it, whiskey of the year a number of times and bottles are now close to a grand if you can find them. Delicious stuff but the price reflects the rarity rather than quality. Glad I tried it for sure.

They had the redbreast 32 dream cask, €150 a glass....took a picture of the bottle :D. Tonight I tried Laphroaig 10 for the first time and it is delicious, at least on par with lagavulin and ardbeg. Also walked away with a bottle of Arran 14, it's a fantastic scotch from a great distillery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Charity ( Children’s Hospital ) Bruichladdich tasting tonight .Tickets under €25 including vat from Celtic Whiskey Shop ( ( and maybe on the door at57 The Headline Lwr Clanbrassil St -rung the shop as they’re running it ) Some awesome top end stuff to be tasted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I looked today and was €23 in Galway. Must be special to your area?

Could be finished by now. I went last weekend and got 3 bottles for 41euro using my 10e off voucher. I have 2 left. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

can someone recommend a decent whisky in around the 40-60 euro range?

i usually like a nice single malt but i am looking for something new to try.

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

For an Irish whiskey I'd recommend Redbreast 12, bourbon would be Woodford Reserve and scotch Aaran 14. All within your budget and all fantastic whiskies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Redbreast 12 is lovely, consistently find myself reaching to it over more expensive ones.

Redbreast 12 is severely under priced, imo. Could charge more.

In that range I'd be looking at Redbreast Lustau, Greenspot Leo.B, Nikki Coffey Malt, Auchshenoshan 3 Wood. Dalmore 12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Another vote for Redbreast 12. Had one a few nights ago for the first time in months and it is still as excellent as I remember. Just lovely stuff.

As another said if you are going American then Woodford Reserve is a good bet.

Redbreast 12 is severely under priced, imo. Could charge more.

Why? It's a 12 year old whiskey sold at an average price for a similarly aged scotch.

The fact that it's tasty or not doesn't mean it should be more or less expensive.

Because age is only one aspect of whiskey.
    There are 12 year scotches at a similar price. There are 12 year scotches tgatvcist more. IMO, RB resembles the latter.
    It's nothing to do with the fact it appeals more to my tastebuds than Ardberg or whatever

thanks i will give the redbreast a try.

on a side note has anyone tried natterjack?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I really like RB but I think it's overpriced. It is really lovely stuff. However I run the range of being blase about it to being really impressed with it's subtle complexity. Like it and very good for irish, but wouldn't rate it higher than many scotch that are available for less.

I really like RB but I think it's overpriced. It is really lovely stuff. However I run the range of being blase about it to being really impressed with it's subtle complexity. Like it and very good for irish, but wouldn't rate it higher than many scotch that are available for less.

what would you recommend?

Because age is only one aspect of whiskey.
    There are 12 year scotches at a similar price. There are 12 year scotches tgatvcist more. IMO, RB resembles the latter.
    It's nothing to do with the fact it appeals more to my tastebuds than Ardberg or whatever

There is more to whiskey than age of course. But the longer a whiskey is aged, the more expensive it will be, that is a given.

RB12 is €65 so in your opinion €80 would be it's correct value I'm guessing? That's far too expensive for what it is. I picked up a bottle of Aaran 14 for €55. Natural colour, no filtration and more complex than RB12 , 46% compared to 40% plus aged 2 yrs more. That's the price RB12 should be imo.

RB12 is €65 so in your opinion €80 would be it's correct value I'm guessing? That's far too expensive for what it is
    I paid c.€40 for my RB12. My comments are based on what I can picked it up for, just like your Aaran example. Not sure where you getting €80 from. For that price your near the 15 or the cask strength.

Arran 14 is €55 on Whiskey exchange. RB is €44. If RB should be the same as the Aaran, that's a 25% increase. Which essentially agrees with my point.
    I haven't it, So can't comment on its complexity. Although that's into personal preferences I think. But I'll keep an eye out.

Where are you getting RB12 for €40?!

The Aaran is a lovely whisky, try it if you get the chance. CWS had the Aaran 18 on special for €65, absolute bargain, raging i missed out. Back up to it's usual price of €85 which is still very decent for an 18 year old.

Edit: I picked up the Aaran 14 in CWS for €55 standard price, whiskey exchange can be more expensive sometimes when you take postage into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I paid c.€40 for my RB12. My comments are based on what I can picked it up for,

So irrelevant then for Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement