Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pad199207 wrote: »
    You’d want at least 2 or 3 cups of coffee before ya even attempt to try and work out tomorrow.

Maybe a whiskey too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

No updated warning either yet, how often does their model update?

They have updated it

“On Thursday, a wintry mix of rain, sleet and snow will move in accompanied by strong easterly winds. Significant accumulations of snow are possible on high ground and with some accumulations to lower-levels at times.

Valid: Wednesday 30 January 2019 09:00 to Saturday 02 February 2019 12:00”

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

24 hours out and very unclear whether there will be snow or rain in general tomorrow. Met Eireann sort of using general and confusing language. There is some forecast guidance of their’s suggesting ‘snow fields’ yet they have not issued orange warnings. There will be enough precipitation to cause orange warning conditions if it does snow more than rain, but I guess they are afraid to make a call with residual uncertainty. Be interesting to see how it pans out. My feeling is they are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Likely to be some geographic hollows and corners containing towns and schools that will have significant problems but other areas that will be fine

Indeed yes and with justification after the scalding they got

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

No updated warning either yet, how often does their model update?

They have updated it

“On Thursday, a wintry mix of rain, sleet and snow will move in accompanied by strong easterly winds. Significant accumulations of snow are possible on high ground and with some accumulations to lower-levels at times.

But then states it was issued yesterday (which it wasn't).

They have updated it

That is still yesterdays I think. Updated on Tuesday not Wednesday??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They have updated it

In the true spirit of compromise! All bases covered... lol Unless....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

That is still yesterdays I think. Updated on Tuesday not Wednesday??

Just the text has been updated. Yellow Warning to remain in Situ.

Id say more updates to come today with possible raise in Warning level.

Just the text has been updated. Yellow Warning to remain in Situ.

Id say more updates to come today with possible raise in Warning level.

Like how can you not mention an area in a warning??!! It’s too general by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think the problems for the east coast including Dublin could be tomorrow evening with the wrap around of system's occlusion.

It could be sleet - rain - snow event here.

Inland always preferred but don't rule anything out for coastal counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Everything still dazzling white here. Underneath blue sky too. Brings out the child.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The British met office is also very uncertain on their latest video output. Basically the weather front will move north, but stall and pivot and basically nobody knows nothing. They don’t talk about Thursday night.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/video

He did say they will work it out “over the next couple of days” which might not be that useful on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Everyone is expecting a catastrophic event similar to last March, and it doesn't help that the media are pumping the "significant" snowfall lines.

I don't know how Met Eireann do it because they will get blamed no matter what they forecast when its really the media blowing it out of all proportions, then go slate ME when it doesn't come to pass.

Personally I don't get why ME don't tell the media to rein it in..

Anyway this is a bit off topic.

I'm still being told to work from home because of this massive snow event due, which I think is OTT for Dublin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yes sea Temps are just on the right side of marginal so I wouldn't rule anything out yet.

Hirlam is in guidance with ME forecast. Snow at higher elevations in south, midlands likely low level accumulations and tomorrow night rain turning to snow for many in east and midlands

The British met office is also very uncertain on their latest video output. Basically the weather front will move north, but stall and pivot and basically nobody knows nothing. They don’t talk about Thursday night.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/video

He did say they will work it out “over the next couple of days” which might not be that useful on Friday.

Really annoys me when they stand in front of Ireland!! Looks white for a lot of Ireland down South but rain on coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Euro4 latest update just out continues to show accumulations for tomorrow into tomorrow night Friday morning, especially for Kerry.
    19020106_3006.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Still locally considerable differences between the models for tomorrow

GFS-p has a better angle of attack tomorrow for snow in the east - more of a northwest/southeast alignment.

36-574PUK.GIF?30-6

Temperatures favorable in the Irish sea on this run and dew points just the right side

36-580PUK.GIF?30-6

36-101PUK.GIF?30-6

Think it's going to be a "nowcast" to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'd better get out and go to the supermarket when this road clears up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Really hope it isn't too bad for Wicklow/Dublin commute on Thursday evening and Friday morning. One of the few people in my office that lives outside the m50 so harder to get work from home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This is exhausting! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just Back from taking the dogs for a walk. It's utterly stunning out there. 6 inches of snow fell in this area. Near Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim. The sun is shining, the trees full of snow. The countryside and lakes are a picture. My God we are blessed.
    And I'm a snow hater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

At this point I think it is safe to rule Cork City / Majority of Cork County (except for hills and far north) of getting snow from this system tomorrow, models seem to be pushing it further and further north. Heres to hoping though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

clear, frosty morning here, received nothing more than a few flurries on top of the bin lid, couldn't call it a dusting.

That could be it for south Meath, I'm not sure I'm going to be seeing any lying snow from this event. Most likely scenario is a wet wintry mix tomorrow into Friday, then it's back to normal temperatures from Sunday.

leahyl wrote: »
    This is exhausting! :pac:

If there was no commuting to work we could relax and enjoy it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Really annoys me when they stand in front of Ireland!! Looks white for a lot of Ireland down South but rain on coast.

Wait till Brexit happens they'll edit out Ireland altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Gonzo wrote: »
    clear, frosty morning here, received nothing more than a few flurries on top of the bin lid, couldn't call it a dusting.

That could be it for south Meath, I'm not sure I'm going to be seeing any lying snow from this event. Most likely scenario is a wet wintry mix tomorrow into Friday, then it's back to normal temperatures from Sunday.

My bin lid in Dublin 15 had about 10 tiny flakes on it....or was it 11???? Not too sure!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The latest charts for tomorrow not very encouraging for anything other than a wintry mix. Looks like rain for much of the east coast up to 40km inland.

Hirlam:

hirlamuk-1-29-0.png?30-11

Icon has the precipitation further south, most of Meath misses out on the event and anything that does fall is rain.

iconeu_uk1-1-33-0.png?30-10

GFS has precipitation over most of the country, a mix of rain, sleet or snow depending on where you are.

36-574UK.GIF?30-6

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I know we didn't get massive amounts of snow in cork in comparison to last year but the amount we got was still enough to cause a lot of disruption. I made several attempts to get a bus this morning, no taxis either so I have to take today as annual leave. At the end of the day an orange wind warning wouldn't cause as much disruption as this yellow snow warning has.

Id rather we were prepared for snow tomorrow so people in advanced figure out how they can get to work etc. Nothing on twitter or bus eireann this morning except expect delays in cork, so I had no idea where or what time I could get a bus. I tried several times to get a bus between 7am and 11am. At least if we are prepared and nothing happens we can go about our day as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Think it's going to be a "nowcast" to be honest.[/quote]

No s#it. That's was always the case from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

At this point I think it is safe to rule Cork City / Majority of Cork County (except for hills and far north) of getting snow from this system tomorrow, models seem to be pushing it further and further north. Heres to hoping though!
    I've accepted that it's not going to happen in mid cork unfortunately. Thought this morning was just a trial run....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

OldRio wrote: »
    Just Back from taking the dogs for a walk. It's utterly stunning out there. 6 inches of snow fell in this area. Near Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim. The sun is shining, the trees full of snow. The countryside and lakes are a picture. My God we are blessed.
    And I'm a snow hater.

You're very lucky to have got 15cm of snow!!! Did you measure on a solid surface, like tar or concrete? And was it level snow, not a drift against a wall or something like that? Did you you use an accurate measuring device, such as a ruler or tape measure?

If yes to all of the above, then you may have one of the deepest snow cover levels in the country. Got a few photos that someone I know took this morning, a little over 10km south of Ballinamore and although there is good cover, it looks no more than about 5cm on the driveway. Garden appears to have much deeper snow but this is almost always the case.

Advertisement