Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Damp squib outside Limerick City.

Hail and trace elements of snow.

Puddles on the tarmac now.

I can't see much or any disruption for Limerick City

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Roads are deadly in cork, think freeze thaw is happening in the city. Cars sliding all over the place in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Snow and ice in Grange, cork. Getting up a steep hill to get out of my housing estate (only road) was a write off. Text from the boss not to take any risks. Car parked/abandoned at the side of the road. There's more important things then being late for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Snowy start, road was like an ice rink! (North Cork)

46925718701_1f7759d5d0_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Disappointing looking at all of these pictures. Not a flake anywhere in South Dublin from the coast to Tallaght, not even a dusting on the hills. Three Rock looks great in the sunrise, but still green in all its glory.

Not holding much hope for anything but a brief flurry followed by a slushy mess tomorrow. Forecasts seem to be very uncertain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

cork city is carnage right now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

School Closed for kids in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Road from Daingean to Edenderry in Co Offaly is LETHAL!! Cars are crawling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

South cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Tomorrow will be a big disappointment in North Cork now but we are enjoying what we have today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

irishfeen wrote: »
    Tomorrow will be a big disappointment in North Cork now but we are enjoying what we have today :)

You might be ok with that bit of elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Uneventful cold cycle to work in North Dublin, totally dry! Jealous...

But then I'm off to Toronto on Sunday and it's a little different there - minus 15!

?url=http%3A%2F%2Faccuweather-bsp.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fa8%2Fcd%2Fa1783cb94e4aa76776406f8dfb49%2Fheat-wave-in-florida.large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Lovely day in Athlone very cold but dry no overnight snow.

froog wrote: »
    cork city is carnage right now

Seems to be a lot of accidents causing big delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

pauldry wrote: »
    School Closed for kids in Sligo

Plenty closed in North Donegal too this morning.

It's pretty treacherous on the roads up here, considering so many of them don't get gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Surely met eireann will update warnings this morning if a significant snow event is expected tomorrow? Presumably this has yet to happen

Surely met eireann will update warnings this morning if a significant snow event is expected tomorrow? Presumably this has yet to happen

Usually update around 10am. This will be a nowcast no matter what is put up I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yes warnings will be updated later on this morning. Current guidance showing only yellow level warning to stay. Wouldn’t rule out an orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Pat Clark on the radio said rain, sleet and snow tomorrow, the snow mainly on high ground. A possible dusting at lower levels as the band retreats back south later.

Follows Harmonie update with precip much further north and temps higher in southern areas. Thursday night could be interesting though, hence their comments on snow fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I really feel sorry for the staff in met eireann,forcasting tomorrow looks to be a real nightmare, not much agreement in the models even in the short range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Two UK sites are giving snow for Dublin onThursday and Friday...weather outlook and BBC weather....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Snowy start, road was like an ice rink! (North Cork)

46925718701_1f7759d5d0_c.jpg

What is the ruined building please? Looks familiar but cannot place it

Villain wrote: »
    Follows Harmonie update with precip much further north and temps higher in southern areas. Thursday night could be interesting though, hence their comments on snow fields.

Hard to be certain how far north this front will make it when it runs into the cold block. A couple of hundred miles a big difference for this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

God tomorrow is frustratingly hard to figure out. Need to travel Dublin to north mayo either tonight after 6 or tomorrow. It looks like it will be horrible frosty and foggy tonight so tomorrow with rain would be better but then I’d met Éireann and Harmonie under egged it I could end up in snow showers. Grr. Decisions decisions

could you not go today during the day while it is fairly clear? Before the night frost falls? Maybe after lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Damp squib outside Limerick City.

Hail and trace elements of snow.

Puddles on the tarmac now.

I can't see much or any disruption for Limerick City

Cappamore in east county Limerick got a good covering over night according to my sister living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Graces7 wrote: »
    could you not go today during the day while it is fairly clear? Before the night frost falls? Maybe after lunch?

I’m rearranging things to do just that. Earliest I can get on the road is 4 but that’s the plan now. Not taking any chances with the two kids in the car. I’ve the packing half done so won’t take long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Got dropped to school, car was going all over the place, ice everywhere. Got to school, only principal and 5 teacher in so I just walked out because not worth it. Walked home, thawing a but but still ice on the roads. Cars are coming way to close to eachother rushing to work so if they slid there will be a crash. Keep a safe distance people!

Cork city bishopstown area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Cold, raw day in Galway city with passing showers of wet snow and sleet.

Tough day to be on the picket line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Around 2-3cm in Letterkenny, roads gritted though so generally fine. Snowing at the moment but looks like that might be our lot judging by the radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

We just aren't used to driving in snow and ice!

https://twitter.com/Alanpbarry/status/1090507940723867648

Advertisement