Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

sideswipe wrote: »
    We just aren't used to driving in snow and ice!

https://twitter.com/Alanpbarry/status/1090507940723867648

Very little to do with being used to it. Our all weather / summer tyres are not suited to this weather at all and we don't get it often enough to put on winter tyres. I spent a week in sub zero temperatures in Canada a few weeks back and winter tyres make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

6-7 cms snow since late last night.Bright dry daybreak, but snowing again now Lowland Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Got dropped to school, car was going all over the place, ice everywhere. Got to school, only principal and 5 teacher in so I just walked out because not worth it. Walked home, thawing a but but still ice on the roads. Cars are coming way to close to eachother rushing to work so if they slid there will be a crash. Keep a safe distance people!

Were roads not gritted in cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

seefin wrote: »

Very few apperantly. Carrs hill, the main road to all the big pharma companies etc wasn't and is one of the busiest roads in the city. Sarafields road and sarafields road roundabout was but outside Wilton shopping center and the roundabout wasn't and was chaos. Main road from bandon and innashannon to the city is chaos too and that's very bus. It wasn't gritted enough. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Got dropped to school, car was going all over the place, ice everywhere. Got to school, only principal and 5 teacher in so I just walked out because not worth it. Walked home, thawing a but but still ice on the roads. Cars are coming way to close to eachother rushing to work so if they slid there will be a crash. Keep a safe distance people!

Cork city bishopstown area

And that is the reason why Cork shouldn’t get Snow! :P

There’s a snow shield for a good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

pad199207 wrote: »
    And that is the reason why Cork shouldn’t get Snow! :P

It's so pretty though!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

trying to follow all the opinions of the more weather educated here, is the general consensus that tonight/Thursday morning will be okay/less then this morning (Cork City) but Thursday night/Friday morning could be similar or worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Not much in Roscommon town :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I’m rearranging things to do just that. Earliest I can get on the road is 4 but that’s the plan now. Not taking any chances with the two kids in the car. I’ve the packing half done so won’t take long

Good. Should be OK but take care please with that precious cargo and check AA routes? and cc sites re road conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Graces7 wrote: »
    What is the ruined building please? Looks familiar but cannot place it

Glanworth castle to your left and Abbey to your right 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    trying to follow all the opinions of the more weather educated here, is the general consensus that tonight/Thursday morning will be okay/less then this morning (Cork City) but Thursday night/Friday morning could be similar or worse?

Earlier forecasts (e.g. yesterday) put the snow risk on Wednesday night and during Thursday. There is still not 100% agreement within the models so it could be heavy rain (meaning things will be fine) or snow (which means things will be worse).

I manage our Corp IT team in work (main Cork office is in Blackpool) and we're prepared for people to work from home if needed. Many people have opted to do that today because of the road conditions, idiocy of drivers going too fast / misjudging stopping distances and the time it's taking to get anywhere once there is a collision.

I waiting to see what Met Éireann have to say before making a call on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A nice dusting this morning in Castlebar to wake up to, lethal out though as no gritting was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Slow drive to Rochestown this morning with small man, but the return from Mount Oval was lethal, skidding all over the place. Much as the snow is pretty, it makes the roads fairly scary when you're not used to winter driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

7 am depths

9 cm: Thomastown (Tyrone, 72 m)
    8 cm: Ballypatrick Forest (Antrim, 156 m)
    4 cm: Lough Fea (Derry, 225 m)
    3 cm: Cork Airport (153 m)
    2 cm: Knock Airport (205 m)
    1 cm: Castlederg (Tyrone, 52 m),

9 am depths;

9 cm: Thomastown (Tyrone, 72 m)
    8 cm: Ballypatrick Forest (Antrim, 156 m)
    5 cm: Lough Fea (Derry, 225 m)
    3 cm: Cork Airport (153 m), Knock Airport (205 m), Castlederg (Tyrone, 52 m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Graces7 wrote: »
    Good. Should be OK but take care please with that precious cargo and check AA routes? and cc sites re road conditions?

Will do. It’s mostly main roads so hopefully they’ll be cleared and salted (I’m only 1km off the m4 and it’s that to Longford then n5 to swinford). Only bit to be cautious on will be the last bit and I know them roads enough to crawl it!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Tulla co clare got a fairly heavy shower there in the last hour..... few accident this morning on the way here as well with multiple cars in ditches/overturned

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

There will be no snow in cork...the lads in work said 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Can’t put up photos for ye from phone cos I’m tik!
    We have 9cm here at 152m asl in S Sligo.
    The trees are weighed down with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

littlema wrote: »
    Can’t put up photos for ye from phone cos I’m tik!
    We have 9cm here at 152m asl in S Sligo.
    The trees are weighed down with it.

It’s not you, it’s the boards platform. It’s stuck in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

P.lane78 wrote: »
    There will be no snow in cork...the lads in work said ��

Some one will surely end up in that dog house or the outside loo ??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

So much for a bright crisp day. Hasnt stop hail rain and finally snowing here in limerick city since 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

Any forecast news for tomorrow?

Should general chat / observations (i.e. photos) go on the chat thread (https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057903068)??

donal.hunt wrote: »
    Any forecast news for tomorrow?

Should general chat / observations (i.e. photos) go on the chat thread (https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057903068)??

Significant accumulations over High Ground. Some accumulations to lower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

seefin wrote: »
    To be fair, gritting is only effective to a certain level, generally to prevent ice and clear light snowfalls. Anything over 2cm and gritting is of limited effect. In fact it can make things worse by creating an ice layer beneath the snow.

Going by today's pictures any grit on the roads in Cork would have been a waste of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

24 hours out and very unclear whether there will be snow or rain in general tomorrow. Met Eireann sort of using general and confusing language. There is some forecast guidance of their’s suggesting ‘snow fields’ yet they have not issued orange warnings. There will be enough precipitation to cause orange warning conditions if it does snow more than rain, but I guess they are afraid to make a call with residual uncertainty. Be interesting to see how it pans out. My feeling is they are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Likely to be some geographic hollows and corners containing towns and schools that will have significant problems but other areas that will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

seamus wrote: »
    To be fair, gritting is only effective to a certain level, generally to prevent ice and clear light snowfalls. Anything over 2cm and gritting is of limited effect. In fact it can make things worse by creating an ice layer beneath the snow.

Going by today's pictures any grit on the roads in Cork would have been a waste of salt.

Unless you have winter tyres driving in ice/snow will always be treacherous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

New GFS run going for a messy mix heading into Friday, I still don't trust the GFS for winter though.

gfs-7-42.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

24 hours out and very unclear whether there will be snow or rain in general tomorrow. Met Eireann sort of using general and confusing language. There is some forecast guidance of their’s suggesting ‘snow fields’ yet they have not issued orange warnings. There will be enough precipitation to cause orange warning conditions if it does snow more than rain, but I guess they are afraid to make a call with residual uncertainty. Be interesting to see how it pans out. My feeling is they are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Likely to be some geographic hollows and corners containing towns and schools that will have significant problems but other areas that will be fine

No updated warning either yet, how often does their model update?

• Advertisement

You’d want at least 2 or 3 cups of coffee before ya even attempt to try and work out tomorrow.

Advertisement