Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

I just put up some extra supporting timbers in my lambing shed. I have a feeling we would get a right dumping here in Roundwood tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

The M6 away from the coast? I ask because Dublin would seem to be in the favoured region otherwise.

The M6 only begins/ends at Kinnegad, at least 60km from the east coast. Dublin is not looking too favoured for the main event, due to temps/DPs/WB temps being not favourable, owing to proximity to the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Boot test - a few inches fell - still cold but the sun is threatening a melt - South Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

My goodness, what a beauty in Leitrim indeed.

cYWSvtZ.jpg

Credit: Wanda Hanrahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I'd go along with GL's take that the Dublin/Galway corridor looks a good marker right now give or take for the haves and have nots.

Pure NIMBYism but I would obviously favour that as I'm less than 2km south of the M4 and about 40km inland @ a little under 100m. I won't hold my breath though.

Gaoth Laidir, regarding a post I made a short while ago, what are your views on the chances of sea effect showers near eastern areas after the main rain and cloud pushes away on Friday morning and winds turn more to an east to north east direction for a while? SSTs are about 11c, 850's by then should be no higher than -6. Regarding temperature gradient between the sea and the 850hpa level, this is more than enough to initiate convection and with pressure still low, I'm thinking this can only aid convection. Are there other parameters that I'm not taking into account?

Bear in mind, I only said "sea effect showers". I deliberately kept the word "snow" out the query.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock TAF for later tonight and tomorrow morning going for Sleet with chance of Snow between 8am and midday

BECMG 3104/3107 11015G25KT 6000 -RASN BKN005 TEMPO 3108/3112 3000 RASN BKN002 PROB40 TEMPO 3108/3112 1200 SN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Good to see them get the word out about that Yellow Snow!

hH6gvwY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Knockmore co mayo 30/01/19
    vW0ZsFH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Claremorris this morning
    lJvx2x0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Anyway, whatever else happens, it’s great that we now have conclusive proof that Leitrim exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

IMG50541548854911.jpg

IMG50541548854911.jpg

IMG50641548855243.jpg

IMG50651548855310.jpg

IMG50691548855418.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

highdef wrote: »
    Pure NIMBYism but I would obviously favour that as I'm less than 2km south of the M4 and about 40km inland @ a little under 100m. I won't hold my breath though.

Gaoth Laidir, regarding a post I made a short while ago, what are your views on the chances of sea effect showers near eastern areas after the main rain and cloud pushes away on Friday morning and winds turn more to an east to north east direction for a while? SSTs are about 11c, 850's by then should be no higher than -6. Regarding temperature gradient between the sea and the 850hpa level, this is more than enough to initiate convection and with pressure still low, I'm thinking this can only aid convection. Are there other parameters that I'm not taking into account?

Bear in mind, I only said "sea effect showers". I deliberately kept the word "snow" out the query.

Yeah, we should see a few streamers setting up early Friday morning, though again, I think altitude will be key here, especially near the coast. Should be a fairly moist boundary layer so the wrong side of marginal for lowest levels.

IMG50561548855581.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

jimmynokia wrote: »

ah here 14 inches of snow?
    Shocking weather maps forecast Ireland to get 14 INCHES of snow this week as Pest from the West predicted to hit hard
    The maps suggest all parts will be blanketed in the white stuff on Thursday - when Met Eireann expect worst flurries to hit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

471700.jpg

My early thoughts on areas below 250m likely to see lying snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

North sligo early this morning. Hope pic posts this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

⚠️HEAVY SNOWFALL FOR SOME

⚠️BITTERLY COLD TEMPERATURES

⚠️TEMPORARY BLIZZARDS OVER HIGH GROUND

⚠️Please Share

Having analysed the latest weather models there continues to be a substantial threat of some heavy falls of snow across many parts of the Midlands, East, inland Munster and Connacht. The situation does however remain marginal, with temperatures hovering close to freezing or just above, so continued monitoring of the situation is required.

An active Atlantic storm depression located to the south of Greenland is expected to track southeastwards, lying just off the southwest coast tomorrow before briefly stalling and sliding gradually to the east during the afternoon and into Friday morning. Its associated weather systems have the potential to deliver a considerable fall of snow to the aforementioned areas.

At present it looks as though the heaviest snow is likely to occur through central areas of the Midlands, inland north Munster and the East and Southeast. Initially the heaviest snow will occur through Munster and Connacht during the early hours of tomorrow morning, before gradually transferring to more central and eastern areas through the late morning and remaining stationary for much of the day after.

There is a chance that any snow may briefly turn to rain for a small while during the middle part of the day, however during the afternoon and evening temperatures will gradually fall back once more and any rain will revert back to snow, with some heavy snow likely at this point through the east and southeast.

Snowfall totals will vary quiet considerably across the affected areas, with some areas in the orange zone seeing between 10-15 cm, while the heaviest snowfall will be reserved for higher ground above 250 meters, with strong easterly winds providing temporary blizzard conditions, with upland roads becoming impassable in many mountainous areas. Over higher ground falls of 20-30 cm may occur, with some drifting likely.

If you would like any further details then please feel free to message the page directly and I will do my best to respond to you all.

I´ll keep you posted as always.

My kindest regards,

Cathal Nolan
    MWC

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    ⚠️HEAVY SNOWFALL FOR SOME

⚠️BITTERLY COLD TEMPERATURES

⚠️TEMPORARY BLIZZARDS OVER HIGH GROUND

⚠️Please Share

Having analysed the latest weather models there continues to be a substantial threat of some heavy falls of snow across many parts of the Midlands, East, inland Munster and Connacht. The situation does however remain marginal, with temperatures hovering close to freezing or just above, so continued monitoring of the situation is required.

An active Atlantic storm depression located to the south of Greenland is expected to track southeastwards, lying just off the southwest coast tomorrow before briefly stalling and sliding gradually to the east during the afternoon and into Friday morning. Its associated weather systems have the potential to deliver a considerable fall of snow to the aforementioned areas.

At present it looks as though the heaviest snow is likely to occur through central areas of the Midlands, inland north Munster and the East and Southeast. Initially the heaviest snow will occur through Munster and Connacht during the early hours of tomorrow morning, before gradually transferring to more central and eastern areas through the late morning and remaining stationary for much of the day after.

There is a chance that any snow may briefly turn to rain for a small while during the middle part of the day, however during the afternoon and evening temperatures will gradually fall back once more and any rain will revert back to snow, with some heavy snow likely at this point through the east and southeast.

Snowfall totals will vary quiet considerably across the affected areas, with some areas in the orange zone seeing between 10-15 cm, while the heaviest snowfall will be reserved for higher ground above 250 meters, with strong easterly winds providing temporary blizzard conditions, with upland roads becoming impassable in many mountainous areas. Over higher ground falls of 20-30 cm may occur, with some drifting likely.

If you would like any further details then please feel free to message the page directly and I will do my best to respond to you all.

I´ll keep you posted as always.

My kindest regards,

Cathal Nolan
    MWC

He seems to be ramping it a lot , I don’t no where he’s getting his heavy snowfall in the east predictions from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Danno wrote: »
    471700.jpg

I've to drive through the middle of that tomorrow night.

Gorgeous day in Dublin today. Blue skies and relatively warm in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

jimmynokia wrote: »

The Sun making wild unsubstantiated claims? That's a first.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    He seems to be ramping it a lot , I don’t no where he’s getting his heavy snowfall in the east predictions from

Looking at temp and precip graphs without looking at anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

IMG50541548854911.jpg

What peak is this?

Looking at temp and precip graphs without looking at anything else.

Agreed, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

471700.jpg

PLEASE move that line up just a wee tiny bit so I can after all make a snowman! JUST A WEE TINY BIT!!!!

ta muchly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

471700.jpg

Feck you! You have me included in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Woke up to lots of snow and lot's of fog, so no point posting pics. (Tipp.)

Mayo seems to have featured favourably in all the snow risk /accumulation charts

the past number of days for tomorrow.

non accuweather is going for snowfall for numerous hours in Westport and Castlebar starting early tomorrow.

hopefully the snow can make it out to the coast where i am.

nice cold land breeze from the east/northeast will be blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

The Sun making wild unsubstantiated claims? That's a first.

The "pest from the west" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ECM's latest take regarding snowfall potential for tomorra:

1APLiPx.gif

Changes with every run, so take with pinch.

New Moon

Advertisement