Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We would need a decent depth of cold in place for the Atlantic to deliver a proper snow event and we really don't have that in place.

Some places may see lying snow tomorrow, but I'd imagine for most of us it will either be a wintry mix or wet snow that doesn't properly stick. South and east coasts most likely to see cold rain.

Friday morning may provide a better chance of snow with colder air digging in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    My bin lid in Dublin 15 had about 10 tiny flakes on it....or was it 11???? Not too sure!!

Pics or didn't happen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Warning, don't eat it !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If I had €1 for every message asking "will I get snow" I could retire :D

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1090581965479251968

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I know we didn't get massive amounts of snow in cork in comparison to last year but the amount we got was still enough to cause a lot of disruption. I made several attempts to get a bus this morning, no taxis either so I have to take today as annual leave. At the end of the day an orange wind warning wouldn't cause as much disruption as this yellow snow warning has.

Id rather we were prepared for snow tomorrow so people in advanced figure out how they can get to work etc. Nothing on twitter or bus eireann this morning except expect delays in cork, so I had no idea where or what time I could get a bus. I tried several times to get a bus between 7am and 11am. At least if we are prepared and nothing happens we can go about our day as normal

Its a sorry state of affairs when we get small amounts of snow and the place shuts down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A Wintry forecast from Met Eireann this morning

Headline: Very cold conditions will persist until Sunday. Very frosty nights, with widespread icy conditions. Some wintry precipitation at times too. Less cold from late Sunday onwards but changeable and unsettled.

Thursday night: Very cold and frosty overnight with icy roads and also some lying snow. Frosty from the start over Ulster with some pockets of freezing fog. Windy for a time elsewhere with a mix of rain, sleet and snow. The snow is likely to be heaviest over much of Munster and south Leinster, with some significant accumulations in places. But this band of weather will clear southwards later in the night and the fresh and gusty east to northeast winds will moderate also. Icy here also with lying snow in places. Overnight lows generally below zero between -2 and -5 C., coldest over snow fields but zero or + 1 along the south and southeast coasts.

Friday: Very cold with moderate north or northeast breezes bringing some wintry showers to exposed coastal areas, mainly eastern and also parts of the northwest and west coasts. But most other areas, especially inland parts will be dry with spells of winter sunshine. Very little in the way of a thaw, with top temperatures generally 2 to 4 C., but up to 6 C., in some Atlantic coastal districts.
    Bitterly cold overnight, with a severe frost and icy conditions. Lows of -2 to -4 C., generally, but lower over snow fields and perhaps around zero in some Atlantic coastal districts. Many places will be dry, but a few wintry showers are likely to affect coastal areas exposed to the moderate to fresh northerly breeze.

Saturday: Frost and ice clearing slowly in bright fairly sunny weather. A few light wintry flurries in coastal areas exposed to the moderate north to northwest breezes but most places dry. Top afternoon temperature 5 to 7 C., best in Atlantic coastal fringes.
    Bitterly cold overnight with lows of -3 to -5 C., generally, but colder over snow fields. There will be a widespread severe frost overnight, with icy roads and some freezing fog can be expected also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Quick look through the charts and must say couldent call it. GFS , ARPEGE, HIRLAM bring snow further N to the midlands and W and showing Southern counties with wintry / heavy rain.

ECM and EURO 4 showing more Snow in Southern half, EURO 4 shows kerry getting a lot of snow.

Very complex LP with multiple smaller disturbances and fronts within .

Windy in places too tomorrow but where will be determined more by tonights runs.

Tonights charts crucial, down to the wire.

Very cold night to follow could get more snow later in the day followed by freezing conditions making Fri am very dangerous on the roads and a cold day to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

highdef wrote: »
    You're very lucky to have got 15cm of snow!!! Did you measure on a solid surface, like tar or concrete? And was it level snow, not a drift against a wall or something like that? Did you you use an accurate measuring device, such as a ruler or tape measure?

If yes to all of the above, then you may have one of the deepest snow cover levels in the country. Got a few photos that someone I know took this morning, a little over 10km south of Ballinamore and although there is good cover, it looks no more than about 5cm on the driveway. Garden appears to have much deeper snow but this is almost always the case.

Well I've just cleared the driveway to the road. Pathways to the Stables and Hay barn and I can assure you it was 6 inches (Oh matron) I'm not one to exaggerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

OldRio wrote: »
    Just Back from taking the dogs for a walk. It's utterly stunning out there. 6 inches of snow fell in this area. Near Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim. The sun is shining, the trees full of snow. The countryside and lakes are a picture. My God we are blessed.
    And I'm a snow hater.

Sounds like my kind of Winter weather :( I am so jealous. Haven’t seen weather like that since 2010 - Christmas Day to be exact.

Beautifully sunny here in Dublin too, just without the snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Went a small walk and in the sun the mountains are truly utterly spectacular. Breathtaking snow sculptured.. Brought tears at the sheer beauty,

Makes the idea of a snowman seem as it is very petty and superficial... the mountains are my snow fix and I will go out again later to breathe it in .... happy!

Never seen such dramatic skies either for cloud cover... With no tall buildings the sky is massive here and a different skyscape in every direction with some clouds falling in bits

west mayo offshore heaven.

Well I've just cleared the driveway to the road. Pathways to the Stables and Hay barn and I can assure you it was 6 inches (Oh matron) I'm not one to exaggerate.

Just to add to this. Schools are shut. Buses not running. Social events cancelled. Minor roads blocked this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm not a fecking idiot so don't treat me like one.

Not treating you like an idiot at all. Firstly, I just wanted to ensure that the measuring was done correctly as so many people stick a ruler in the grass to massively exaggerate the depth figure. Secondly, I highlighted that someone not too far to your south got a lot less than you which shows how localised the more intense snow showers were last night. I remember looking at the radar late yesterday evening and it did show higher intensity precipitation the further north you went in Leitrim. As I know people in a few different parts of Leitrim, I had a vested interest.

So apologies if my post appeared condescending. That was not the intention. The questions I asked were reasonable, based on past claims by other posters. The congratulations was sincere.

Not treating you like an idiot at all. Firstly, I just wanted to ensure that the measuring was done correctly as so many people stick a ruler in the grass to massively exaggerate the depth figure. Secondly, I highlighted that someone not too far to your south got a lot less than you which shows how localised the more intense snow showers were last night. I remember looking at the radar late yesterday evening and it did show higher intensity precipitation the further north you went in Leitrim. As I know people in a few different parts of Leitrim, I had a vested interest.

So apologies if my post appeared condescending. That was not the intention. The questions I asked were reasonable, based on past claims by other posters. The congratulations was sincere.

Claims by other posters are not my concern. For your information my location is Fenagh/Kesh area.
    As for taking measurements? Is an ex joiner good enough for you.?
    We've probably had the most snow in one night for a long long time.
    Any hoots back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Kinda swaying way off topic now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

You're very lucky to have got 15cm of snow!!! Did you measure on a solid surface, like tar or concrete? And was it level snow, not a drift against a wall or something like that? Did you you use an accurate measuring device, such as a ruler or tape measure?

If yes to all of the above, then you may have one of the deepest snow cover levels in the country. Got a few photos that someone I know took this morning, a little over 10km south of Ballinamore and although there is good cover, it looks no more than about 5cm on the driveway. Garden appears to have much deeper snow but this is almost always the case.

I measured my snow level with a baguette and some twine.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Interesting from Met UK

Would indicate that there could be Irish Sea streamers for some eastern areas overnight and into the morning. I stupidly have not been taking into account the onshore winds on the east coast. With pressure low, temps relatively low, SSTs quite high, showers could be fairly decent following the exit of the main weather system. I still near the east coast will have little/no lying snow, except on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Taught we were in for another sleet shower instead fog has descended on us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Two feet of snow here.
    https://goo.gl/images/Eg2TZW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Sounds like my kind of Winter weather :( I am so jealous. Haven’t seen weather like that since 2010 - Christmas Day to be exact.

Beautifully sunny here in Dublin too, just without the snow.

Sounds like you need a trip down to Wicklow on Friday Sryanbruen!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

As rightly pointed out by MT and many others, these setups usually don’t provide much in terms of snow accumulation like an east orientated event. I reckon flooding will be the greatest of worries from the GDA to south coast.

These setups cause the models to throw up crazy differences within a normally reliable time frame. What I’d say from here is, heavy persistent cold rain across east and South, midlands likely to see some snow mix in but no real accumulations to low levels. High ground could possibly get insane amounts of snow, won’t affect a lot of people but a threat to life would be there.

If you’re looking for accumulations in Dublin and east, Friday morning when the NE winds pick up will probably be our best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Lovely walk, and I was first out on the road past here today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I measured my snow level with a baguette and some twine.

OMG everyone knows regular baguettes aren’t to scale, only Subway footlong rolls give an accurate measure, jeez

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The model soundings are right on the cusp, showing a short period of wet snow preceding the rain tomorrow. It all depends on how cool the surface layer can get overnight, however with a large deck of high cloud on the way in from the Atlantic later this evening this will limit the depth of the surface cold layer. Add then the increasing winds and the fact that we're in a returning polar maritime airmass and it would probably flip it the wrong side of marinal for most people. 50 metres here or there is going to make a hugh difference tomorrow, so the higher up you are the better.

There will be a narrow favoured band across the country where the lowest snowline will linger for the longest as the band stalls and pivots back southwards. North of it, no precip, south of it, too warm. Where exactly this area will fall is the big question, but I would use the M6 as a rough estimate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

A few from the Featherbeds this morning.
    Plenty more snow if you go further on up but didn't want to take any chances been on the bike, although the roads are mainly fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The model soundings are right on the cusp, showing a short period of wet snow preceding the rain tomorrow. It all depends on how cool the surface layer can get overnight, however with a large deck of high cloud on the way in from the Atlantic later this evening this will limit the depth of the surface cold layer. Add then the increasing winds and the fact that we're in a returning polar maritime airmass and it would probably flip it the wrong side of marinal for most people. 50 metres here or there is going to make a hugh difference tomorrow, so the higher up you are the better.

There will be a narrow favoured band across the country where the lowest snowline will linger for the longest as the band stalls and pivots back southwards. North of it, no precip, south of it, too warm. Where exactly this area will fall is the big question, but I would use the M6 as a rough estimate now.

The M6 away from the coast? I ask because Dublin would seem to be in the favoured region otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

I feel it in me withers. It's on the way.
    South Wales been issued with an upgraded snow warning for Thursday, extended it through to Friday at 9pm. Met suggesting reduced northward extent. Will be down to to -9 tonight before the clouds arrive. That must help for snow on the south east/east coast ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think high res NMM (GFS) is a fair account of how i'd expect things to shape up. Coasts always on the margins and can tip one way or the other. Get anyway inland though and it will be an exciting day I think.

anim_zji7.gif

I'd go along with GL's take that the Dublin/Galway corridor looks a good marker right now give or take for the haves and have nots.

Advertisement