Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nice frost on the car this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I also found that forecast a little confusing but I think they meant what I am saying here in my forecast ...

Wednesday, 30 January, 2019

Forecasts for Ireland

TONIGHT ... Increasing cloud, very cold in most areas, temperatures rising towards morning in southwest. Lows near -4 C in most inland districts and -1 C around coasts and larger cities. Rising to about 3 C in strong southeast winds near Kerry and west Cork coastlines. Rain or sleet by morning there.

THURSDAY ... Snow or sleet will spread inland during the morning, turning to rain in some southern counties and near the east coast. Strong east to southeast winds will eventually back to northeast 50 to 80 km/hr, with locally stronger winds in parts of Munster as an intense core of this storm, tracking southeast, moves through Kerry and Cork. Snowfall amounts will probably be greater at higher elevations for most but cannot rule out a few places at lower elevations getting significant falls especially towards end of the day as it turns slightly colder again. Temperatures will rise very slowly in most places to around 2 to 4 C in the mixed sleety precipitation. It seems likely that conditions will vary from one hour to the next and over short distances, as conditions are going to be right on the borderline of rain and wet snow. But hilly areas particularly in Munster and Connacht will likely see 10 to 20 cm falls. Eventually this will develop over Leinster hills also. Some parts of Ulster will not see much if any precipitation and may stay partly cloudy during the day.

THURSDAY NIGHT ... Windy, raw and possibly winter storm conditions in some areas as the rain-snow balance turns more to snowfall in strong northeast winds 50 to 80 km/hr. Temperatures steady near 1 C or lower, but as cold as -2 C in parts of Ulster. Snow may begin to accumulate at lower elevations than during the daytime previously.

FRIDAY ... Snow or sleet becoming more confined to isolated streamers feeding in from Irish Sea (into Leinster) and North Atlantic (into Mayo and west Galway). Some sunshine in other parts of the country, very cold, strong northeast backing to north winds 50 to 80 km/hr. Highs about 4 C. Some local accumulations of snow possible again.

SATURDAY ... Mostly sunny, cold. Sharp to severe frosts to start the day, lows near -6 C inland to -3 C coastal and urban areas. Daytime highs about 5 C. Winds not as strong, northwest 30 to 50 km/hr at times. Isolated snow flurries.

===========

(the above is an excerpt for the same time frame as the discussion, you'll have to go over and read the forecast if you want to see what I said for today but I am not expecting much more by way of accumulating snow today, the scattered activity is dying out as a weak ridge ahead of the Atlantic storm drifts across Ireland later today)

===========

So in other words, I think what they meant was the mixed precip bands move in, first mostly snow and sleet then more rain, but turning back to snow when the winds back to northeast again later on tomorrow, and that will generate the snowfields etc. It did sound a bit mysterious about the sequence being snow to rain to snowfields, think they left out a step there perhaps. But they only have a small staff and budget compared to Boards. (I jest)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Trip to work in Cork City was sketchy but manageable. Local roads around estate and as far as South link were not gritted.
    Also noticed that the outside lane of the south link is still half covered in slush, which makes driving in that lane quite hazardous.
    It seems 75% of people decided to work from home. Which is great for a gear head like me as it means I could rip the handbrake and slide it into any space I wanted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Lovely morning here on the Laois/kildare border , hard frost for the first half of the night then we got one shower of snow which has covered the frost. Currently about -1 but feeling warmer than yesterday already.
    Some roads are in a very bad way so be careful especially on back roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

gastons wrote: »
    In longford but in the sticks, completely snow covered. Roads not gritted, no sounds of cars on the main road which is unusual. Far too risky to drive at the moment. Hoping for a thaw?

Have pics but it won't let me upload

I gave the N4 a go earlier and Longford/Westmeath is quite bad - there's a track through the snow but it's still quite slippy. I turned back and went home again.

Big delays with trains as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Sligo and Longford trains cancelled/delayed this morning. Train arrived in maynooth, covered in snow. Looks like it must have snowed heavily in the train depot overnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Snowing again here now, 200m ASL west of Macroom. The snow is frozen solid on the roads.

Early attempt to get to work ended after 100m.

20190130_064440_zpsbbspuza5.jpg

20190130_074747_zpspjnuaw7j.jpg

20190130_074801_zpspzheanhs.jpg

20190130_074848_zpskkhahzsy.jpg

20190130_072809_zpszx3f7bgf.jpg

20190130_074915_zpssdvjkuwc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

The snow fairies heard my prayers. My driveway...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 viewer

Light dusting Rathcoole, Co. Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The way I see this might go in Cork county for tomorrow is sleet initially, then rain as it moves northwards before it pivots and heads south again where it may turn to snow! All very complicated. Expect nothing but hope for the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Pat Clark on the radio said rain, sleet and snow tomorrow, the snow mainly on high ground. A possible dusting at lower levels as the band retreats back south later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Anvils on their way to Wales :(:(

471645.jpg

Pat Clark on the radio said rain, sleet and snow tomorrow, the snow mainly on high ground. A possible dusting at lower levels as the band retreats back south later.

Completely at odds with their written forecast of significant accumulations and snow fields!! At least be consistent!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ah here, does Met Eireann just not know whats going to fall so?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Going to be a dangerous drive to work this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Just drove from Rochestown to City centre. Roads are very manageable as long as you take it easy. It was picture postcard scenery this morning ��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

-4c on the way in to work this morning, roads were fine though. Arrived into work with 1c showing, quite a difference in temperature over 50Km or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

How do I embed images that I upload from phone?

Edit. Got it. Not straight forward on a phone.

Leitrim.
    471646.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

\Just a mere dusting on the mountains here. west mayo snowless offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Still snowing in Derry according to friends, looks like a few centimetres already.

• Advertisement

MeTheMan wrote: »
    How do I embed images that I upload from phone?

IMG_20190130_080127

Where is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Olivia Munns Bum

North Dublin/Meath border to City Centre all clear on drive in. Bit of ice on the car. Nippy enough morning but grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RazorT

Met Eireann latest for tomorrow - in line with MT.

TOMORROW - THURSDAY 31ST JANUARY
    Cold and windy on Thursday. Remaining frost, ice and fog soon clearing. The heavy rain will extend almost countrywide through the morning, preceded in places by some sleet or snow, with most of the snow on high ground and mountains. But the north of Ulster should hold dry. Top temperatures just 2 to 5 C., generally and feeling colder in the easterly wind, but values will reach 6 or 7 C., in southern coastal fringes.

Where is that?

Leitrim. Sorry should have mentioned.

Leitrim.

471648.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=471649&d=1548836815

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

RazorT wrote: »
    Met Eireann latest for tomorrow - in line with MT.

TOMORROW - THURSDAY 31ST JANUARY
    Cold and windy on Thursday. Remaining frost, ice and fog soon clearing. The heavy rain will extend almost countrywide through the morning, preceded in places by some sleet or snow, with most of the snow on high ground and mountains. But the north of Ulster should hold dry. Top temperatures just 2 to 5 C., generally and feeling colder in the easterly wind, but values will reach 6 or 7 C., in southern coastal fringes.

Woudnt take much notice of it , chopping and changing every few hours , let’s see what there’re warnings have to say

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Woudnt take much notice of it , chopping and changing every few hours , let’s see what there’re warnings have to say

And then goes on to say this:

Thursday night: Very cold and frosty overnight with icy roads and also some lying snow. Frosty from the start over Ulster with some pockets of freezing fog. Windy for a time elsewhere with a mix of rain, sleet and snow. The snow is likely to be heaviest over much of Munster and south Leinster, with some significant accumulations in places. But this band of weather will clear southwards later in the night and the fresh and gusty east to northeast winds will moderate also. Icy here also with lying snow in places. Overnight lows generally below zero between -2 and -5 C., coldest over snow fields but zero or + 1 along the south and southeast coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Nothing in ballinteer but iced-over puddles. Youngster delighted hearing them crack as he cycled over them.
    3rock has a light dusting

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just enough to cover - like most of the pics - in South Tipp. Supposed to be travelling to Dublin tomorrow/Friday, think I will give it a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Light snow shower Oranmore 1.4°C

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement