Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus lanes set to greatly reduce journey times by 50%

Options
  • 12-06-2018 9:03am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭

More details and some outline maps here: https://www.busconnects.ie/initiatives/core-bus-corridor-project/ (added by moderator)
    Up to 1,300 houses affected by National Transport Authority’s 230km of new lanes

More than 1,000 homes in Dublin will lose gardens and parking places under plans by the National Transport Authority to create 16 high-speed bus routes in the city.

Under the changes, to be announced today by the authority, 230km of expanded bus lanes and 200km of cycle lanes are to be constructed within a decade.

However, the authority warns that because there is “so little unused space” along some roads, that “it will often not be possible to accommodate the bus lanes and cycle lanes in the width available”.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/homes-to-lose-gardens-and-parking-under-dublin-bus-project-1.3527128

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Is the parking that these houses are losing private or on street parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Something wrong here - Clongriffin to City Centre has a bus lane along its entire journey :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they're losing gardens, i expect some of those would have private driveways. the route i'd know best would be the ballymun-phibsboro route; i assume houses on mobhi road and prospect road would be affected (assuming that's the expected route). mobhi road would have houses with gardens and public driveways.

plus, if that *is* the intention, those people on mobhi road will be livid. they live beside na fianna and have probably been fighting the metro tunnel depot plans, so this has come hot on the heels of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Something wrong here - Clongriffin to City Centre has a bus lane along its entire journey :confused:
    i guess that won't be one of the routes affected by CPOs so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Might be cycling infra- would be my assumption, or changes to the junctions, there is plenty of stopping and starting along the Malahide road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Good of the press to focus on the positive aspects of BC improving public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Good news for bus passengers and cyclists.

devnull wrote: »
    Good of the press to focus on the positive aspects of BC improving public transport.
    actually, i'd considered whether or not this was the article i should post about it. but since this is the aspect that would make most noise and be talked about most anyway, i decided not to beat around the bush. happy for you to pick a less negative thread title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'd say this could get pretty expensive and likely unachievable very quickly.

Metro and partially underground trams might be more logical

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Won't happen. They couldn't lob off a few gardens to get rid of the Merrion Gates FFS. 10 years too? that's 2 governments. Depressingly laughable and more of the same.

Nice of them to eliminate Clondalkin's link with the city centre too. Sure why would we want to go there? Everyone works in Drimnagh these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Presumably they'll be compensated and might be able to manage without a car with a decent bus service. Not a pleasant prospect for anyone affecter though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm on the Kimmage route. So I get:
    • No more front lawn to mow
    • Cycle infrastructure from my front gate
    • €€€
    I'm in!

The decision to close the northern stretch of Lower Kimmage Road to private traffic is a brave one. I'd love to see it happen but can't see it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I haven't looked at the meat of this yet, but I welcome the idea of CPO for bus corridors.

Far too much NIMBYism in this country. Hopefully this sets a precedent and normalises CPO in the city.

No doubt we will hear the usual suspects screeching in protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

[QUOTE=n!ghtmancometh;Nice of them to eliminate Clondalkin's link with the city centre too. Sure why would we want to go there? Everyone works in Drimnagh these days.[/QUOTE]

Clondalkin meets the tallaght QBC in Drimnagh and continues to the city centre

Far too much NIMBYism in this country.
    i think you'll find with this that it will be a literal case of NIMFYism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

if they're losing gardens, i expect some of those would have private driveways. the route i'd know best would be the ballymun-phibsboro route; i assume houses on mobhi road and prospect road would be affected (assuming that's the expected route). mobhi road would have houses with gardens and public driveways.

plus, if that *is* the intention, those people on mobhi road will be livid. they live beside na fianna and have probably been fighting the metro tunnel depot plans, so this has come hot on the heels of that.

The poor souls , 2 high frequency PT options on their doorsteps. How will they ever cope with the related increase in property values. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

No doubt we will hear the usual suspects screeching in protest.

You're already assuming that any objections is NIMBYism for the sake of it and are just people wailing about changes.

I certainly don't want to see more concrete and tarmac laid down in the city for traffic, the purpose of which is to make it easier for those living outside of the city to get into the city, to the detriment of those already living and established there.
    2 high frequency PT options on their doorsteps.

And that literally may be a valid problem for them, remove the green space, put in a bus lane in what was their front garden.

The poor souls , 2 high frequency PT options on their doorsteps. How will they ever cope with the related increase in property values. :rolleyes:
    you don't expect them to welcome it though? the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few can sometimes legitimately piss off the few.
    these people are being told that there may literally be a bus lane where their gardens currently are.
    'may' is probably crucial here - the plan seems vague on whether houses with gardens will now be opening their front door onto a public footpath, or onto shortened gardens.

property prices increase when you live near PT, sure - but that's usually measured within a few hundred metres, not a few metres.

you don't expect them to welcome it though? the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few can sometimes legitimately piss off the few.
    these people are being told that there may literally be a bus lane where their gardens currently are.
    'may' is probably crucial here - the plan seems vague on whether houses with gardens will now be opening their front door onto a public footpath, or onto shortened gardens.

property prices increase when you live near PT, sure - but that's usually measured within a few hundred metres, not a few metres.

To me these are like the shop keepers during LCC , "It's a Joke Joe" , "Mess every where Joe", "Can't move outside me shop Joe" .

You don't hear "Thousands of customs passing me door everyday now Joe" , "Get into work in 10 minutes Joe" .

Do I expect them to be over joyed ? I wouldn't be over joyed . A Metro past my door and a high quality bus route? I'd kill someone to have that even it it meant losing some of my garden.
    Few if any house will be opening their door on to a public footpath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I see Swords to the city centre is included in the project. This most likely means the Metro is yet again "put on hold".
    Interesting that a billion was made available to "upgrade" the M50 and get more cars on the road and there's never enough for the Metro.
    I'll be long underground before Dublin ever sees an underground!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Rent a gob on all things Dooblin is on Pat Kenny talking about it now, no prizes for guessing his approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I see Swords to the city centre is included in the project. This most likely means the Metro is yet again "put on hold".
    Interesting that a billion was made available to "upgrade" the M50 and get more cars on the road and there's never enough for the Metro.

We don't need an underground system, the bus is already the solution. Kick the car out of the city center cycle and buses all the way. Traffic is the problem

We don't need an underground system, the bus is already the solution. Kick the car out of the city center cycle and buses all the way. Traffic is the problem

We most definitely need an underground.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Rent a gob on all things Dooblin is on Pat Kenny talking about it now, no prizes for guessing his approach.

Him: We need something different !
    Pat: What thing
    Him : Something.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This does seem very much like a case of throwing everything out there to see what sticks. For example, the proposal in Terenure is that only busses, taxis and bikes will be allowed go through it inbound. Sorely needed, but they've been talking about it for 15 years.

Likewise there's a proposal that Rathmines would become bus-only outbound, diverting all outbound traffic through Ranelagh.

These are the kinds of things that typically have car park owners wailing and claiming it'll kill business.

Chances are most of these plans will get half-implemented, making stuff marginally better but leaving bad pinch points because politicians are afraid to tell vested interests that private cars must be the lowest in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Interesting that a billion was made available to "upgrade" the M50 and get more cars on the road and there's never enough for the Metro.

Swords is massive. Not every home is next to the metro stop. That's where busses come in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The NTA seem to be going against their own, city and national policy in indicating it will be giving priority to buses over the safety of cycling.

There’s signs of overreach, for example: In the context of Luas to Finglas and Metro to Ballymun, the two bus routes should not go ahead — it might be an indication of how bus mad the NTA has become suggesting Luas and Metro yet still wanting to CPO front gardens.

Jesus Christ wept. The guy they found to defend Bus Connects hates ML

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

What about circular routes? to connect the various core routes, or is that the next stage?

Advertisement