Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus lanes set to greatly reduce journey times by 50%

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

So tell me,

Who is going to Fund all these traffic improvements?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

So tell me,

BusConnects Dublin has a €2bn funding allocation under the National Development Plan 2018-2027.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So tell me,

The state of course, the project has a €2bn budget.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So tell me,

The same people who fund other infrastructure projects including motorway projects, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

wakka12 wrote: »
    Wow, job well done.

except for the cycle lanes - I think (hope) BusConnects is planning higher quality cycle facilities with segregation/protection and with the lanes going around the back of bus stops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

loyatemu wrote: »
    except for the cycle lanes - I think (hope) BusConnects is planning higher quality cycle facilities with segregation/protection and with the lanes going around the back of bus stops.

I'm not sure about going around the back of the bus stops, but the drawings from the BusConnects document published last week show the bike lanes being higher then the bus lane and thus physically separated.

Obviously we need to wait and see the detailed plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm very keen to see what happens in the City Centre, what happens there will dictate what happens on each corridor anyway and it is the biggest pinch point. I expect punative car bans from the quays will greatly reduce car traffic on many corridors and possibly move some traffic from one corridor to another which may impact the design of infrastructure.

Also the orbital routes may also be competing with cars and they cannot be forgotten about, it is absolutely bonkers that the M50, the state's busiest road has no parallel public transport alternative of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bk wrote: »
    I'm not sure about going around the back of the bus stops, but the drawings from the BusConnects document published last week show the bike lanes being higher then the bus lane and thus physically separated.

Obviously we need to wait and see the detailed plans.

I hope we'll see a Tallaght Village style setup.

I expect we'll see an N11 style dogs dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ED E wrote: »

the proposals for Fairview look good, so hopefully more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

I take it you're talking about the whole Tallaght Village-M50 cycle track and not the village in general? Because that's just two big bitumen bikes on the road...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Qrt wrote: »
    I take it you're talking about the whole Tallaght Village-M50 cycle track and not the village in general? Because that's just two big bitumen bikes on the road...

Indeed. One of the few places with proper floating bus stops (https://goo.gl/maps/aNXarVNYjpk for those that dont know the area). Now upgraded with flexi wands too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭howiya

Indeed. One of the few places with proper floating bus stops (https://goo.gl/maps/aNXarVNYjpk for those that dont know the area). Now upgraded with flexi wands too.

Took a long time to build. May need to extend the deadline for this project if the Tallaght project is anything to go by.

Was out and about earlier and was reminded of an example of a current bus lane that only needs a simple change to make it a lot more effective.

Dolphins Barn inbound. There are two lanes, one of which is a bus lane part of the way. At the junction with SCR, there is a right turn and traffic wanting to continue to Cork St has to merge into the left making the bus lane totally pointless. Bus lane then resumes on Cork St. Banning the right turn to SCR and extending the bus lane closer to the junction would avoid this merge and make traffic move smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

howiya wrote: »
    Banning the right turn to SCR and extending the bus lane closer to the junction would avoid this merge and make traffic move smoother.

That traffic comes from Crumlin, Long Mile Road, M50. If it didn't turn right there, where should it turn?

RayCun wrote: »
    That traffic comes from Crumlin, Long Mile Road, M50. If it didn't turn right there, where should it turn?

There are multiple right turns. Kildare Road, Sundrive Road, Rutland Avenue, Donore Avenue as examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There are multiple right turns. Kildare Road, Sundrive Road, Rutland Avenue, Donore Avenue as examples.

Kildare Road is through a residential area with speed bumps

Sundrive Road leads to the Kimmage traffic jam

There is no right-turning lane for Rutland Avenue, so you'd have the same problem - a queue of cars turning right, and straight-ahead cars joining the bus lane

Donore Avenue is into residential areas again (and is much further on)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

A well placed bus lane enforcement camera would solve this problem over night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Dolphins Barn inbound. There are two lanes, one of which is a bus lane part of the way. At the junction with SCR, there is a right turn and traffic wanting to continue to Cork St has to merge into the left making the bus lane totally pointless. Bus lane then resumes on Cork St. Banning the right turn to SCR and extending the bus lane closer to the junction would avoid this merge and make traffic move smoother.

I save loads of time by ignoring the traffic queueing in the bus lane, merging where I should and continuing onwards. Much to the ire of those queueing.

RayCun wrote: »
    Kildare Road is through a residential area with speed bumps

Sundrive Road leads to the Kimmage traffic jam

There is no right-turning lane for Rutland Avenue, so you'd have the same problem - a queue of cars turning right, and straight-ahead cars joining the bus lane

Donore Avenue is into residential areas again (and is much further on)

It's probably going to happen under the Bus Connects plan anyway as this is one of the corridors included. All I'm saying is it could be done tomorrow without great fanfare.

Advertisement