Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Oh I went fully comp for just under €700. That was the tyre kicking forecourt quote. I actually rounded off the figure too. It was €379-89 something like that. I was kinda quick with the credit card to remember. If there wasn’t so many idiots on the roads though I’d have went TPFT.
    The right decision I think. €700 fully comp is a decent quote for that car too. I think I'd have fully comp on any car €5k+ myself with the amount of idiots on and general condition of our roads.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spawinte

2008 Peugeot 308 - 90hp 1.6 diesel

33 yrs old, full licence 8 years, no points ever.

€862 for TPFT with FBD up from €785 last year.

123 just quoted me €707 so I'll probably take it. Next best was KennCo at €938.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

2002 60bhp 1300cc Petrol Polo

57 years old no points licence 28 years no claims.

Fully comp less than 10k(k) a year with protected no claims and drive any car with wife as named driver.

AIG renewal €687.38 offered €30 off when I called if I renewed early (still 2 weeks before date)

AXA €506.27 including protected no claims, drive any car, commuting to work and light business use and breakdown breakdown cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

25 years old, 1 year NCB, no points or claims

2007 1.4L Kia Ceed Petrol

Last year: €1,780 with Boxymo, 8,000km limit

All fully comp:
    Zurich €1,280.00
    Chill - Zurich €1,660.00
    Kennco €1,672.00
    Campion €1,700.00
    Sheridan - Liberty €1,700.00
    Sheridan - Zurich €1,710.00
    Chill - KennCo €1,818.00
    Quoteme - Kennco €1,928.00
    Allianz €2,038.00
    123.ie €2,092.00
    Chill - Axa €2,115.00
    Axa €2,400.00
    blue €2,534.00
    25plus  €2,944.90
    AA No quote offered
    AIG No quote offered
    Aviva No quote offered
    Boi No quote offered
    Onedirect No quote offered

Very happy with the Zurich quote, considering the offers from the other providers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My renewal was €570 with Aviva through a broker. 123.ie quoted €421 online.

That's quite a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Age 53 F

Car VW Polo 1.4 diesel 2009

Years driving 33

Claims/points 0

Adding driver age 23 full licence 3 years, 2nd year named on policy

Comp insurance

Axa this year €770 (€800 quoted, up €100 on last year ðŸ˜)

An Post €1147
    Liberty €2164
    123.ie €1250
    Allianz won't quote under 25's unless into 2nd year of policy with them
    Aviva €1000

So looks like Axa again was hoping for bit under €700 but some crazy quotes, had been with An Post for over 2 decades before changing last year to Axa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

34 male, 2003 Landcruiser, 10 years claim free

Renewal with Liberty at €784 fully comp

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

32 Male
    Seat Ibiza Cupra 192 Petrol
    9 years NCB
    Zero points

Last year 1070eu

Renewal 1070eu. :pac:

I Bought car last year and swaped insurance from Alfa GT 04' 1.9 Diesel and it went up by 20eu for Full insurance on Seat. This year I sow that insurance itself went up, but broker cut its own fee. The Broker Lady is really really damn good at her job and very nice too. She already helped me out a lot.

Did few qoutes online and looks like it will be same like last year. Stay with the same broker. Liberty Insurance had a cheek to give me a qoute of 2780eu!!!!

Qoutes online so far:

Liberty 2780eu :pac:
    Allianz 1350eu
    Axa 1070eu
    Aviva 1500eu
    Chill 865eu, but with Ivernia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Early indication of my renewal for next month is around €845 fully comp with Liberty(My first policy was €886). Full license since Jan last year. Have a sister and mother named under me to bring down the price(approx. 1600 w/o).

30 Years old
    2012 Civic 1.8 Petrol

Everyone else quoting between €1600 to €2700 with same details as €845 quote.

Has anyone experience with paying by direct debit before putting paying around half the premium up front?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Has anyone experience with paying by direct debit before putting paying around half the premium up front?

My partner pays by DD, and has done for years. No issues and if you don't have a wad of cash, it is handy. I have a feeling there is a slight cost penalty over the year, but not much and I could be speaking out my ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

CramCycle wrote: »
    My partner pays by DD, and has done for years. No issues and if you don't have a wad of cash, it is handy. I have a feeling there is a slight cost penalty over the year, but not much and I could be speaking out my ass.

Yeah I always pay by DD as never seem to have the full amount around renewal time as much as I try! I think it could be about €20-€30 more expensive throughout the year so it definitely doesn't break the bank by any means.

CramCycle wrote: »

iirc on about €500 AXA wanted it was about an extra €35 over the year if paid by DD.

Am I the only one that is paid up in full 3 weeks before its due? Makes no difference mind because its on the credit card and the way the CC bill falls it will get paid at the same time (on the same bill) even if I left it to the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

33 female, 05 Fiesta, 3 years no claims

Renewal with Axa 437 comp, down from 600+ last year

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭easyvision

27yo 2015 Golf GTD, 2 years no claims in my name and 5 years+ insured on dads car. 1 1500 claim 7 years ago. No points. €1084 with Zurich, they were cheapest by 400 to the next cheapest, was quoted over 3k by some insurers! Best I could find, they wouldn't budge on it, was happy enough tbh. I had 1.4 Highline Golf 2013 before was 850. So I think its a decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

my3cents wrote: »
    iirc on about €500 AXA wanted it was about an extra €35 over the year if paid by DD.

Am I the only one that is paid up in full 3 weeks before its due? Makes no difference mind because its on the credit card and the way the CC bill falls it will get paid at the same time (on the same bill) even if I left it to the last minute.

For last two years I payed in full. Both times over 1k eu. This year its 1k again. I am thinking of paying 500eu in to cc and pay off the rest bit by bit. Good thing about paying like this with cc, means I can pay it off sooner. Or add a good chunk in to cc when I have some spare cash.
    Or I will do as I always do. Just pay in full.

Some companies will charge a good chunk extra if you pay over months. It got a lot better now, but before it was as stupid as 20% apr.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Finally I've discovered a proper insurance company!
    Age 50. Full license no points
    2005 Mercedes CL500 5.0 V8 €1100 including full business use
    1996 Mercedes SL 500 5.0 V8 €155 agreed value cover limited mileage
    1996 Mercedes w124 coupe €165 agreed value cover limited mileage
    2003 Smart cabrio 700cc €445 full business use ( Axa wanted €2500 for the Smart)

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    Finally I've discovered a proper insurance company!
    Age 50. Full license no points
    2005 Mercedes CL500 5.0 V8 €1100 including full business use
    1996 Mercedes SL 500 5.0 V8 €155 agreed value cover limited mileage
    1996 Mercedes w124 coupe €165 agreed value cover limited mileage
    2003 Smart cabrio 700cc €445 full business use ( Axa wanted €2500 for the Smart)

You are allowed to tell us who the proper insurance company is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

My renewal was €570 with Aviva through a broker. 123.ie quoted €421 online.

That's quite a difference.

can you please let me know the broker you are using, as i've been quoted €350 extra this year for renewal dealing straight with aviva.
    thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

pawrick wrote: »
    that time again, renewal in this morning €775 , no change to anything from previous years.

After a lot of pricing around Blue insurance came in the lowest at €682 fully comp
    which was then priced matched by my existing provider (allianze via a broker). Every other insurer / broker i got an online quote for ranged between 805 and 1300.

That's the 2nd year running now I've had blue coming in best only to have existing provider price match, the AA was 3rd cheapest. Might have gotten a little more off if i went back to blue but last year they couldn't drop further on the original quote and i was tired to death of getting quotes anhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I called AIG and Chill only to be told that i'm too young for a quote? I'm 26 with a 5 year NCB!! They both recommended Boxymo and said it would benefit me because they monitor my driving and makes me a safer driver. I feel Bit insulted really..

First Ireland broker came in with 1170 for TPFT on My 2004 1.6 Avensis. The policy did have bonus protection, all glass cover, breakdown cover, drive other car extension so it did seem like a fairly good policy but i'll continue to shop around .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »
    Wonder of all wonders.
    I paid 810 for a year with Liberty for my 1999 car and recently bought a 2005 car.
    When I rang Liberty to change vehicle details I got a refund of a 106 euros!
    Renewed now - Liberty quote me €550 for another year.
    So it actually went down!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Renewal came in at €19'000.
    Rang them and they dropped it by €12'000.
    Phew!

*only messing, wasn't me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭bop1977

12 skoda superb 2.0 diesel auto.

Last year €641fully comp
    This year €671 both with 123.ie.

Axa and Liberty were looking for around €1000 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Car: 1999 Jaguar S-Type 3.0l
    NCD: You must be joking...
    Licence: I will, yeah!
    Area: Cork City Southside
    Cover: Full comp/breakdown/glass/comp on other cars
    Renewal: €853 AXA
    Last year: €685 AXA

Threw a few fucks at them there on the phone and got it for €750. Could've been worse, could've been better...

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

jimgoose wrote: »
    Car: 1999 Jaguar S-Type 3.0l
    NCD: You must be joking...
    Licence: I will, yeah!
    Area: Cork City Southside
    Cover: Full comp/breakdown/glass/comp on other cars
    Renewal: €853 AXA
    Last year: €685 AXA

Threw a few fucks at them there on the phone and got it for €750. Could've been worse, could've been better...

If 3yrs with axa, then last year +10% inc gov levy = €750
    I’ve seen a lot worse but seeing as fire/Theft have no excess or loss of NCB
    3pp for speed/seatbelt or holding phone has no loading so the simple things in motoring life ain’t gonna load your policy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭wassie

carzony wrote: »
    First Ireland broker came in with 1170 for TPFT on My 2004 1.6 Avensis. The policy did have bonus protection, all glass cover, breakdown cover, drive other car extension so it did seem like a fairly good policy but i'll continue to shop around .

Be aware that NCD Bonus protection is really only of benefit if you stay with the same insurer.

If you do make a claim, whilst your NCD will be protected with that particular insurer, if you shop around with other insurers you will have to declare that claim and in effect will not have a clean NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

wassie wrote: »
    Be aware that NCD Bonus protection is really only of benefit if you stay with the same insurer.

If you do make a claim, whilst your NCD will be protected with that particular insurer, if you shop around with other insurers you will have to declare that claim and in effect will not have a clean NCD.

Not true. For many years I kept declaring a claim with the NCD on the 6th step of the scale. It was never an issue and got quotes (got them!!!!;)) much lower than I would without protected NCD. If you loose your NCD, you're like a novice driver with a claim. If you don't. you're like an experience driver with a claim...

IMHO it is worth every penny to pay for the NCD protection. It not only will drive the premium down, but open much more quotes. If not at the renewal, but at the consecutive years for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I had an accident 3 years ago but never needed to claim for anything. I did the right thing and informed my insurance company though and now when calling for quotes I have to declare that there was a 700 euro claim for 'investigation costs' even though it did not affect my NCB the insurers get very worried when this is mentioned. I can only imagine what would happen if I had a real accident that caused me to loose my NCB.

Anyway,

Car: 2004 Avensis 1.6 Petrol
    NCB: 5+YEARS
    Licence: YES, Full
    Area: Dublin
    Cover: TPFT

Chill: Won't Quote due to the age of the car
    Zurich: Won't quote because i'm to young
    Allianz: Won' quote because i'm too young
    Campion Insurance:1900
    First Ireland: 1100
    Axa Renewal:1000

I'm thinking of going with First Ireland only they ask for such a big deposit (360)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Why would you have to inform them of the "investigation" costs, if no claim was made?

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Forget to throw mine up. Renewed less than two weeks ago

Male
    2009 BMW 520D automatic
    Licence for approx 8-9 years
    Bus driver occupation
    5+ years NCD
    Penalty points: 6 ..., The last time I checked.....

paid 1,000 last year plus they charged me another hundred odd euro when I moved location

Renewal with AXA came in at €823

Shopped around plenty of places and getting quotes of 1,100 - 1,400 aswell as a fair few companies not quoting at all due to be being less than 30 years old with this category vehicle.

Renewed and they threw in free 24/7 breakdown with home start etc for me.

Pretty happy that it went down a fair bit for me, hopefully a sign of things to come !

Advertisement