Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Would you increase the excess perhaps?

That’s the excess that AA charge but in the case of an accident or death they pay out over €70,000 whereas others don’t. I should also say that has an AA member I received a 10% discount. I can understand why others don’t bother with paying insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Demosthenes

I have 6 years NCD from Australia, been driving 9 years without ever even a parking ticket and im getting fleeced for €4,600 unless i can find a way around.

You can definitely do better than €4600, i'd recommend calling the AA - they were the most keen to get me on their books and offered the most competitive fully comp insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Autosport wrote: »
    9 years or more

Your being ripped off with them quotes with 9 years NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

You can definitely do better than €4600, i'd recommend calling the AA - they were the most keen to get me on their books and offered the most competitive fully comp insurance.

Only been in the country since December, so their underwriters wont cover me. The system is well against me on this unfortunately. I paid less than 1,000 AUD back home for comprehensive on a $20k car when i was 21. INsurance here is absolute robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NearlyForty

I went from a 2005 2 litre Santa fea to a 2007 1.8 litre Mazda 5 and my Insurance (fully comp) went from e865 down to e536 this year.. Thrilled with myself.. I had been with a broker for years thinking I was getting a good deal, but decided to look for quotes myself this year and got a much better quote with Allianz
    Female, 38, 10+ ncb, 10+ full licence etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

INsurance here is absolute robbery.

Yes it is, my credit card covers insurance on car hires in every country on the planet with the exception of North Korea and Ireland, WTF is wrong with Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭wassie

Only been in the country since December, so their underwriters wont cover me. The system is well against me on this unfortunately. I paid less than 1,000 AUD back home for comprehensive on a $20k car when i was 21. INsurance here is absolute robbery.

Have you gotten a letter from your insurer in Australia regarding your no claims bonus/discount (assuming you were the policy holder)? There are definitely insurers that will accept this.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

wassie wrote: »
    Have you gotten a letter from your insurer in Australia regarding your no claims bonus/discount (assuming you were the policy holder)? There are definitely insurers that will accept this.

My last insurance policy expired in Nov 2015 so it wont be accepted. I was driving on my partners policy for the next two years but in Australia, because I was over 25 i didnt need to be named on the policy, so there is a bit of back and forth involved with insurance companies atm.

All that aside, insurance here is still extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Renewal time has come around, and this year it has actually dropped by €32.18!

Here are the fruits of my evening comparing other insurers:

Car: 2010 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
    Policyholder: 38/F
    Named Driver: 40/M
    NCB: 6+ years
    Full Irish Licences: 10+ years

Comprehensive w/ €300 excess
    Breakdown assist
    NCD Protection + Stepback
    Windscreen Cover

Renewal from 123.ie (RSA): €492.25, I ran through the site to for a new quote and got €681.01

These are prices for similar offerings from competitors:
    CompareInsuranceIreland.ie (AXA) €641.98
    AA: €723.71 (including buying AA membership)
    Chill.ie (AXA): €729.06
    Aviva: €737.46
    An Post: €740.79
    Blue: €765.00
    Allianz: €791.26
    Liberty: €1,107.35

The funniest thing I noticed was Blue offered TPFT for the same price as comprehensive. I couldn't get a quote directly from AXA as their own site is down for maintenance.

That renewal price from 123.ie includes an online discount - if I renew over the phone then the quote is €549.94, so I don't expect I'll get anything trying to haggle with them. I'll still try though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Saw an ad on the telly about An Post insurance offering what looked like decent discounts for long term no claims. Insurance isn't due till the summer but I took a little look anyway. €1400. Paid €700-something last year to current insurer... That was a hole lot of something which ended up a complete nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

jaxxx wrote: »
    Saw an ad on the telly about An Post insurance offering what looked like decent discounts for long term no claims. Insurance isn't due till the summer but I took a little look anyway. €1400. Paid €700-something last year to current insurer... That was a hole lot of something which ended up a complete nothing.

I wonder who they take on, I do the looking for quotes for a few people every year, vastly different details and have never got anything but stupid quotes from them in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Kuva wrote: »
    I wonder who they take on, I do the looking for quotes for a few people every year, vastly different details and have never got anything but stupid quotes from them in years.

We had our first car about a decade ago, and An Post were one of the most competitive insurers for us as a couple in late 20s/early 30s with the policy in my wife's name and me as a named driver. We bounced between them and 123.ie for a few years, and then they suddenly became a significantly more expensive, probably around 2012/2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

25plus quoted me €1300 for fully comp,10 years no claims, 10 year full license, 3 pen points... on an 08 avensis.

what a joke, my old provider quote me 650 for fully comp .

i wouldn't waste your time getting a quote from them, clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

27 y/o male.
    5 yrs claim free
    2011 Golf MK6 1.6 TDI, val 8k
    Dublin city
    3rd party f&t only.

€539 with 123.ie
    With everyone else it's €800-1100.

With my old 2003 Megane 1.4, I got €830 cheapest quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

pogsick wrote: »
    Dropped to tpft this year, €625 with whoops.ie, fully protected bonus and can drive other cars everywhere else looking for at least €900 for same or less

Male
    Ncd 7 years
    Full Irish license 7 years
    2006 Renault Laguna 1.6 Petrol
    No points
    No modifications
    Val €1500

Tried all companies I could think of this year looking for TPFT

Whoops.ie €675
    123.ie €575
    25plus.ie €794
    AA €859
    AIG €1099
    Allianz €800
    Coverinaclick €640
    Axa €822
    BOI €2059
    Campion €1025
    Chill €707
    FBD €617
    First Ireland €774
    Itsforwomen €739
    Liberty €1056
    Sheridan €1100
    Supervalu €1087
    XSDirect €2962 (stands out even more as the excess was the same)
    Qoutedevil €700
    Aviva €1082

Went with 123

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

wonski wrote: »
    Renewal time :D

-snip-
    You have to accept T&C, Data Privacy and Marketing all at the same time, unless you spot a little link underneath to opt out:mad: Sneaky way. Most customers would fall for it I guess as You cannot continue with a quote without ticking it.

I opted out of course:

Be aware of that.

Have two more quotes coming in later, one from the company group scheme, hopefully they can be under €700... Could be worse I guess.

Apologies for going ot with this marketing issue, but shame on them tbh.

Cheeky of them. Be interesting to see if they fix that before end of May. GDPR will force all marketing communications like that to be explicitly opt-in and not bundled other things like T&C consent.

Onto my quotes I'm having a pain in the whole with insurance. Most won't quote due to a combination of the old car + being on provisional:
    Male
    Provisional License (First policy)
    03 Ford Focus 1.4 Petrol
    Val <1,000
    TPFT(Except BoxyMo)

Also like how my motorbike experience doesn't mean a sod to them for the premium but if I did have some claim on my bike then that would drive up the premium for the car.

Of the ones will quote me:
    AIB: 3500 (If the car was a few months younger and registered in the middle of the year instead of January then that quote would be 2800)
    AXA: 3800
    Liberty: 3500
    McCarthy Brokers w/ Asgard: 5000
    BoxyMo(Comprehensive) : 2350

Caveat of BoxyMo is having to install GPS tracker in the car to monitor speed, sudden acceleration, sudden breaking, and limited km. However, I think it's probably worth it to get the year of no claims on my policy. Especially when it's such a price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

should see another drop with full license, how long before you take your road test?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

should see another drop with full license, how long before you take your road test?

Put in for it recently but current waiting times in Cork are 16 weeks with longest up to 23 weeks so it'll be a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

wonski wrote: »
    Renewal time :D

05 Volvo s40 1.8 petrol
    36 years young male (not that the sex matters)
    7 years full Irish license
    8 years NCB

3 penalty points for speeding in Dec 2015

123 renewal €750 TPFT
    AnPost €1016 TPFT
    AA €903
    AIB €947
    25Plus €776 (Comprehensive, no TPFT available)
    Aviva - no quote, they claim not to insure cars over 14 years old, but mine failed the criteria straight away, despite not being that old yet. Changing to 08 would give me quotes of 500-700 depending on the car picked.

Liberty - €804 (TPFT)

Have two more quotes coming in later, one from the company group scheme, hopefully they can be under €700... Could be worse I guess.

Ended up renewing with 123 again at 738 euro.

No other insurer would beat that price.

Breakdown assistance, step back ncb protection and driving other cars are the only additional benefits. Some of the quotes above didn't even offer that, so happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Renewal time.

honestly came out of this delighted.

Checked around and cheapest bar liberty was 950 euro.

27 M
    10 licence
    10 NCB
    No points
    Car Mazda 6 2.2 165PS
    Value 6000

Liberty renewal was €520. Amazing as last year was 670.

Now to get this I have done one thing. I added my parents and it brings the premium down by 200. I kid you not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

flexcon wrote: »
    Now to get this I have done one thing. I added my parents and it brings the premium down by 200. I kid you not.

It's not really surprising considering that it's the first thing that's recommended to do to reduce a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    It's not really surprising considering that it's the first thing that's recommended to do to reduce a quote.

You'd still be surprised at the amount of people who don't do it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Quote just in the door, for a car I'll be insuring for the 15th year. 2003 golf. €720 with RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Renewal with 123.ie

Last year 693.27

This year 593.99

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

25plus quoted me €1300 for fully comp,10 years no claims, 10 year full license, 3 pen points... on an 08 avensis.

what a joke, my old provider quote me 650 for fully comp .

i wouldn't waste your time getting a quote from them, clowns

In fairness just got a quote of €550 from 25plus. BoI quoted €1100 !! My current policy is 750 (allianz.plc)though my broker which is due in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

flexcon wrote: »
    Renewal time.

honestly came out of this delighted.

Checked around and cheapest bar liberty was 950 euro.

27 M
    10 licence
    10 NCB
    No points
    Car Mazda 6 2.2 165PS
    Value 6000

Liberty renewal was €520. Amazing as last year was 670.

I'm after getting a quote from Liberty and fairly delighted with it too.

Opel Astra 1.4 2010
    Female
    4 years Full Licence
    5 years NCB
    No penalty points/convictions
    Added both parents on to policy

Last year's insurance with Its4Women TPFT- €940.00

Liberty quote TPFT if pay up front- €605.00 (€652.00 in installments)

Liberty Full Comp if pay up front- €823.00 (€887 in installments)

Probably just be going TPFT anyways so fairly happy with that! Might add on the windscreen cover for extra €29.00

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

beertons wrote: »
    Quote just in the door, for a car I'll be insuring for the 15th year. 2003 golf. €720 with RSA.

AA rang me and offered me €620. Locked in and paid, figure I'd get no better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Peixesapo

26 year old male, new driver, Cork City
    1.4l petrol Golf 2005
    0 years driving
    0 years no claims
    0 years named driver
    0 points
    Fresh as it gets essentially

Axa (via chill over the phone) €3090 Comp or €2790 TPFT
    Axa (via Sheridan Insurance) €3254.30
    Axa (Direct, Online) €2793.66 Comp or €2636.56 TPFT
    Liberty (Direct, Online) €4796.06 Comp or €3736.39 TPFT
    Liberty (via Sheridans) €5028.39
    Kennco (via QuoteMe) €5359 Comp or €4662 TPFT
    TopInsure (Online) €5583.45 Comp or €4858.29 TPFT
    25Plus.ie €2774.08 Comp or €2486.17 TPFT
    BoxyMo €991 - €1197.48 Comp dependent on KM limits of 8000-12000
    Its4Women €2819.66 Comp or €2677.51 TPFT
    FirstIreland €2498 Comp or €2181.67 TPFT
    CoverInAClick (Phone) €3035 Comp
    Allianz (via the AA over phone) €2297.22 Comp
    Allianz (Direct, phone) Would not quote.
    Acorn (over the phone) would not quote
    BOI would not quote
    AnPost would not quote

As much as I hate the idea of the limitations around BoxyMo, the difference in price is enough to make me consider their poorly reveiwed service.
    Can anyone with experience with them fill me in on possible hidden costs and mainly how much do the top-up KMs cost on average?

Anyone working in insurance should feel ashamed to be passing on these ridiculous quotes and anyone involved in the fraudulent activities that are supposedly propping up these prices should be stripped of their benefits, banned from roads for life and sterilised to prevent future impacts on society.

I cant even get quoted.
    Ill be soon 28, foreign driver with 9 years experience and no claims, but I can't prove it so I am considered a new driver, only with the difference that I am a new driver with a full licence since january 2009. They all refuse to give me a quote if the car is over 1.4. And the only one I got under 2500-3000 € has to be a 1.2 polo.
    Is there really not another way? Someone told me about boxymo but I can't get a quote either.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Peixesapo wrote: »
    I cant even get quoted.
    Ill be soon 28, foreign driver with 9 years experience and no claims, but I can't prove it so I am considered a new driver, only with the difference that I am a new driver with a full licence since january 2009. They all refuse to give me a quote if the car is over 1.4. And the only one I got under 2500-3000 € has to be a 1.2 polo.
    Is there really not another way? Someone told me about boxymo but I can't get a quote either.

Any advice?

My advice is ring them up as some of the online systems wouldn't be set up for a case like yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Peixesapo wrote: »
    I cant even get quoted.

Any advice?

Try Kenco insurance and add any Irish family members your policy

Advertisement