Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

bd2012 wrote: »
    37 male
    Full NCB, no penalty points.
    15 year old 1.9TDI
    With 25PLUS

Last year I paid €571

Renewal email received yesterday,
    €1100-1200!!

Doubled! Mad stuff altogether Ted.

Just to update. Ended up getting fully comp with all the bells and whistles for €683 with Allianz over the phone (on the recommendation of another boardsie).

Worth checking out if your in a similar position to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

bd2012 wrote: »
    Just to update. Ended up getting fully comp with all the bells and whistles for €683 with Allianz over the phone (on the recommendation of another boardsie).

Worth checking out if your on a similar position to myself.

+1

Just off the phone with them got for 650, that's actually cheaper than last years and about half the price of the renewal from bank of ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Out of curiosity, did you go online for a quote then get a callback or just ring straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Out of curiosity, did you go online for a quote then get a callback or just ring straight away?

Got the quote online then called them after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

I just rang last Saturday. Got the quote posted out to me and signed up today.

• Advertisement

Allianz is like ordering a pizza... Base was 870, added comp, breakdown assist, windscreen cover and driving other cars and it came to €1002. Quotedevil with KennCo still best for me at €700.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Ninjavampire

26 year old male
    Just got my full licence today
    8 months no claims as a named driver
    My wife included as a named driver (25y/o, provisional licence)
    1650 for TPFT from AXA.

Pretty delighted with that price after hearing horror stories of 3/4 grand for the first year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

26 year old male
    Just got my full licence today
    8 months no claims as a named driver
    My wife included as a named driver (25y/o, provisional licence)
    1650 for TPFT from AXA.

Pretty delighted with that price after hearing horror stories of 3/4 grand for the first year!

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

renewel in today €608 blue insurance. 530 last year. 08 ford focus 1.6 petrol.
    41 years old over 20 years driving never crashed claimed plus 0 penalty points.
    Even if i save €5 euro with another insurer i will change.
    Was €330 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Was €385 last year. This year €405

Male 54
    full licence
    Full NCB
    Kia Picanto 1L
    08 Reg

ins.jpg

• Advertisement

My sons insurance..

Male age 19
    NCB 0 (1 year as named driver)
    No claims or points
    License: Full, 6 months
    Car: 05 Corolla 1.4 petrol
    Both parents added as named drivers

Quotes:
    Liberty 1843 fully Comp or 1380 tpft.
    Axa, Aviva, Boxymo all at 3000+

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

21 year old male
    2002 1.0L Yaris
    1 Year NCB

Paid 2200 last year when starting policy. Save Company going with 3515.00. Broker says they have another company for same cover for 2500.

So my 3515 quote was with Asgard under written by Axa.

I shopped around with a few brokers and I went for 2100 which is also with Asgard underwritten by Axa.

Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chancer12

My sons insurance..

Male age 19
    No claims or points

Quotes:

Try An Post, got a much better price for a 22 year old female, similar profile to yours. She's on my insurance so got 1200 fully comp for us both, Chill quoted 1150 and would come down a 'few hundred' with another driver named. In the end went with Cornmarket cause they do public insurance and I'm in the public sector, keep ringing around!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sergiut11

Car: 1.0 costa 2004
    Years driving: 0
    Claims: 0
    Price; 3,600 for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sergiut11

Car: 1.0 corsa 2004
    Years driving: 0
    Price; 3,600 for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Swapped my car during the last two weeks, 4 and a bit months left on the policy, 525 2.5 Petrol to 540 4.4 V8, €675 extra so I paid €1650 in total for fully comp with full no claims protection, 23, 5 years NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...540 4.4 V8 ... 23...

Weirdo...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

hellyeah wrote: »
    renewel in today €608 blue insurance. 521 last year. 08 ford focus 1.6 petrol.
    41 years old over 20 years driving never crashed claimed plus 0 penalty points.
    Even if i save €5 euro with another insurer i will change.
    Was €330 2 years ago.

just an update phoned current insurer regarding renewal reduced value of car by 1500 (was overvalued) got an early discount for renewal today (my idea) as renewal was not till 28th of the month, told them i was shopping around got same cover for €548 down from €608. result.:)
    Note to all.
    Phone your current insurer and negotiate.

Phone your current insurer and negotiate.

I'm trying that at the moment. Got an email reminder and said I'd got a better quote elsewhere (true). I'll see if they get back (they will) and push them to beat it. Worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Car: 2014 Golf Highline
    Years driving: 40
    added spouse

My renewal from Aviva was €432 so I tried 13 other companies, all of whom were dearer - First Ireland was €2,171 :confused: Yikes.

Then I tried 25Plus (I'm a long way from 25, I can tell you!): €363

Woohoo! They get the job.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭iguot

Car: 2014 Golf Highline
    Years driving: 40
    added spouse

My renewal from Aviva was €432 so I tried 13 other companies, all of whom were dearer - First Ireland was €2,171 :confused: Yikes.

Then I tried 25Plus (I'm a long way from 25, I can tell you!): €363

Woohoo! They get the job.

With windscreen/ breakdown assist etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

iguot wrote: »
    With windscreen/ breakdown assist etc?

No, that's €394. Still the cheapest. Don't really want them anyway, I'll insure myself for the windscreen and take my chances with the breakdown.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,905 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I tried to add a named driver to my insurance today..... it's a 1.5 Mini, almost new.

I'm 49, no points/convictions/claims etc etc

He's 60, related to me, no points/convictions/claims etc etc

I wanted cover for him just for the weekend - 75 quid.

The broker, in fairness to him, said he rang to see would they budge, but no way.

Then he asked about cover for the whole policy, thinking that might be a better idea - 400 quid :eek:

FFS :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

hellyeah wrote: »
    renewal reduced value of car by 1500 (was overvalued) got an early discount for renewal today

When I reduced the value of my car they put my premium UP by €15...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wonder of all wonders.

I paid 810 for a year with Liberty for my 1999 car and recently bought a 2005 car.
    When I rang Liberty to change vehicle details I got a refund of a 106 euros!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

biko wrote: »
    Wonder of all wonders.

I paid 810 for a year with Liberty for my 1999 car and recently bought a 2005 car.

Spend it wisely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

My sons insurance..

Male age 19
    No claims or points

Quotes:

I'm baffled reading this.

how come when I tried so many people my quotes were all so much higher and I'm 21 3 years ncb and 1 year motorbike ncb? same size engine but less power and the car is only 5 years older than in your sons case

I have gone with axa cover through britton for 1549 or 1622 euro when paying monthly... tpft with zero frills

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

I'm baffled reading this.

how come when I tried so many people my quotes were all so much higher and I'm 21 3 years ncb and 1 year motorbike ncb? same size engine but less power and the car is only 5 years older than in your sons case

I have gone with axa cover through britton for 1549 or 1622 euro when paying monthly... tpft with zero frills

your car is 17 years old, thats a flag for them, no idea why.

Also depends how they rate your locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Should there not be some kind of regulation in the insurance industry?

There seems to be absolutely no rhyme or reason to how premiums are calculated and that is demonstrated by the wildly different premiums seen in this thread.

When I changed from a Peugeot 308 to. Nissan Leaf a few years back they initially told me that my insurance would jump from €570 up to €1100. I thought that was nuts based on talking to others with the same car who were getting much lower quotes. I was also getting much better prices when doing test quotes online with other companies.

I spoke to 3 different people at 123 including a manager who all saw nothing wrong with the figure until eventually someone realised that the Leaf was incorrectly classified on their computer system, and was put in a higher insurance class than it should have been. I eventually got a price of €500.

The point being I was being charged double what I should have and almost everyone at 123 thought it was normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

biko wrote: »
    Wonder of all wonders.

Well lahdedah. Flash bastard. :pac:

What did you replace it with? Was it the same class of car as before?

Advertisement