Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ofcork wrote: »
    I'm in a 2l diesel avensis 2012 I'm 47 full clean licence no points and I couldn't get cheaper than 728 so something strange here.

Crazy price to be honest.

My insurance has increased by 700 in last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

So apparently NDLS don't send out letters anymore to tell you your penalty points have been cleared. I had to send them an email requesting a reply stating I no longer have points, so I can send that to Chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Did you add another driver? Parents etc.

No, probably should've in hindsight :o

Zatoichi wrote: »
    So apparently NDLS don't send out letters anymore to tell you your penalty points have been cleared. I had to send them an email requesting a reply stating I no longer have points, so I can send that to Chill.

I thought the rsa did.

Last time I got one from them.

stephenl15 wrote: »
    No, probably should've in hindsight :o

Why not do so now and see does it bring it down to harm in calling them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PBWXFORD

my3cents wrote: »
    Any strange occupation that might bring the price down?
    There is something weird going on alright especially with all those endorsements. People with clean licences are getting charged more.
    Mind boggling that's some great price....

Nope! Im doing some courses at the moment so down as mature student.. My insurance has been cheaper than any of my friends with full clean licences for the past 5-6 years now and neither i or them can understand why... but im not complaining ;)

Bare in mind it is only with Liberty that i get it this cheap, i always try around come renewal time but none can match Liberty that's why i stay with them, i have never actually been insured elsewhere. Also when i got my licence back they were the only company that would insure me and they are fully aware of my endorsements as i had to send them a copy of front and back of my licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

1999 Golf 1.9tdi 90bhp.

Full NCB 10+ years, no points or convictions. 44 years old . Full licence 10+ years . NCB protected.

Wife added to the policy , has her own car ,no points no convictions, full licence 10+ years .

Renewal quote €850 .

If the car was a 2005 premium would be €520.

We own the golf 14 years and see no reason to get rid of it as it's a good second car for my commute.

The €300 gouge is a bit annoying but cheaper than replacing the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Car99 wrote: »
    1999 Golf 1.9tdi 90bhp.

Full NCB 10+ years, no points or convictions. 44 years old . Full licence 10+ years . NCB protected.

Wife added to the policy , has her own car ,no points no convictions, full licence 10+ years .

Renewal quote €850 .

If the car was a 2005 premium would be €520.

We own the golf 14 years and see no reason to get rid of it as it's a good second car for my commute.

The €300 gouge is a bit annoying but cheaper than replacing the golf.

Good way to look at it alright. And newer cars are not even more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DPolo

Your Age: 24
    Car type and engine: 04 Lexus IS200 2Ltr 6 Cyl
    years driving: 7 (7 years NCB and full licence)
    any claims: 0
    Price and provider: €881, Liberty (Gone down for first time in 3 years , €250 reduction)

DPolo wrote: »
    Price and provider: €881, Liberty (Gone down for first time in 3 years , €250 reduction)

Think I'll try liberty.

• Advertisement

Think I'll try liberty.

€1850 wow.

DPolo wrote: »

I put in 2004 is200 and they want €1600+ from me with , no claims , no points , 10 years plus NCB and full licence. And I'm 44.

Is your €881 in your own name?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DPolo

I put in 2004 is200 and they want €1600+ from me with , no claims , no points , 10 years plus NCB and full licence. And I'm 44.

Is your €881 in your own name?

Yep that's in my own name, been on my own name since 17. Car is an auto , but can't imagine it'd make a major difference to premium. What area you putting it for car being kept overnight. I'm in Meath area
    That's absolute madness. We've an E92 330d insured with liberty for €495 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

PBWXFORD wrote: »
    Actual endorsements stamped on the licence! Yep for some reason my insurance is always less than many of my friends whom have clean licences :confused:

And i always go online with Liberty and get a quote with them after getting my renewal quote by post as it always works out alot cheaper, then i ring and give them the quote ref number and they match that price on my renewal. Very strange and ive been doing this the past 5 or 6 years and always advise other to do the same ;)

does that work ? I tried that on liberty site and it wouldn’t give me a quote . I think it recognized the details and didn’t give a quote .

I tried changing some of the details but when I rang to say got a cheaper quote online they wouldn’t honor it as it wasn’t the exact correct details .

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PBWXFORD

Gonad wrote: »
    does that work ? I tried that on liberty site and it wouldn’t give me a quote . I think it recognized the details and didn’t give a quote .

I tried changing some of the details but when I rang to say got a cheaper quote online they wouldn’t honor it as it wasn’t the exact correct details .

Yep defo works! I've done it at every renewal and always tell friends to do it and works for them too!

The thing is i don't change any details, i put in every single detail the exact same as on my policy but it always comes out cheaper. Then i get the quote ref number, ring them and say i got cheaper online and they ask for the quote ref (more than likely thinking I'm bluffing and won't have one) then they say hold on until we check all details are the same, then come back and say yes everything is the same so we will match that quote. Every time i ask why is it cheaper online they say because there's a 10% discount online and also an further online discount going at the moment... But it seems there's a further online discount every year i renew :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

PBWXFORD wrote: »
    Yep defo works! I've done it at every renewal and always tell friends to do it and works for them too!

The thing is i don't change any details, i put in every single detail the exact same as on my policy but it always comes out cheaper. Then i get the quote ref number, ring them and say i got cheaper online and they ask for the quote ref (more than likely thinking I'm bluffing and won't have one) then they say hold on until we check all details are the same, then come back and say yes everything is the same so we will match that quote. Every time i ask why is it cheaper online they say because there's a 10% discount online and also an further online discount going at the moment... But it seems there's a further online discount every year i renew :D

It works well I done the same. Renewal was 750 so got an online quote for 620 and told them to match it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Car: 2006 VW Golf 1.4 FSI
    NCB: 3 years
    Claims: 0
    Premium: €434.48 TPFT

Just paid for my renewal. That’s a whole €172 less than last year, pays to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

pajor wrote: »
    Car: 2006 VW Golf 1.4 FSI
    NCB: 3 years
    Premium: €434.48 TPFT

Just paid for my renewal. That’s a whole €172 less than last year, pays to shop around.

Eeh. With who???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Eeh. With who???

Delta Lloyd. I don’t live in Ireland, probably should have mentioned that..

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Be careful with the telematics app. A device that picks up everything. Btw will there be any tolerance allowed on the speed or does 80km mean 80km.

I've had it on my phone for past 2 or 3 years. You have option to auto start recording when it detects you moving above certain speed, or you can manually kick off (when you know your not in a rush!).

At end of each journey recorded, it gives you a score out of 100. Shows where heavy acceleration or breaking, or on a phone call. I don't know how accurate it is for the speed limits in an area and if you are breaking them.
    It has become a bit of a game for myself to try get above certain scores, or else I just mark that I was a passenger for that trip.

They say in terms & conditions, if after 3 months your overall score is above certain amount, you get additional discount, and they refund you the money. Got that in my first year. And they state that if you score badly, you won't be punished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

I thought the rsa did.

Last time I got one from them.

Yes, this is correct. I don't know what they were on about at NDLS, I received the letter from RSA and I forwarded it to Chill.

In the mean time I got an online quote from 123.ie for €720 which seems too good to be true. Almost €500 difference compared to my renewal. I'm assuming it's just a new customer discount and then they hike the price the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

38 Male
    2006 1.6 Passat FSI
    Full clean Licence
    Full NCB
    €840 fully comp.

Was paying €1200 last year.
    Still a ripp off

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Car: Ford Focus tcdi 2009
    NCB: 6
    Renewal Quote: €835

That's with 123, up 100 on last year and it's the cheapest I can get everyone else quoting 1000 and over!! Just doesn't make sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Car: 2009 BMW 3 Series M Sport 318D.
    NCB: 5 Years, Full Clean license.
    €1,231 - Fully Comprehensive, with TPFT Driving other cars + Full bonus protection [ Zurich ]
    €1,251 - TPFT [ AXA Insurance ]
    €1,348 - Fully Comprehensive [ Liberty Insurance ]
    €1,011 - TPFT [ Liberty Insurance ]
    €1,727 - Fully Comprehensive [ 123.ie ]
    €1,100 - TPFT [ 123.ie ]
    €2,430 - Fully Comprehensive with full NCB protection [ AA ]
    €2,091 - Fully Comprehensive [ Aviva ]

My insurance is ending on 25th of May but I am becoming 25 on 28th of May.
    Zurich suggested I wait those 3 days and then call them so I can get it even cheaper (They said it migh be under 1000 for Fully Comp).

It's clear as day that insurance companies are pulling these prices out of their ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

arleitiss wrote: »
    €1,231 - Fully Comprehensive, with TPFT Driving other cars + Full bonus protection [ Zurich ]
    €1,100 - TPFT [ 123.ie ]

Zurich suggested I wait those 3 days and then call them so I can get it even cheaper (They said it migh be under 1000 for Fully Comp).

It's clear as day that insurance companies are pulling these prices out of their ass.

Sorry if this seems mad to mention again - have you tried liberty and adding parents or a partner or even a friend who is older to your policy? go onto the website and add them in as named and come back to us.

At this rate it should be a sticky to do this and get a pricing then. Sorry if you already did this.

flexcon wrote: »
    Sorry if this seems mad to mention again - have you tried liberty and adding parents or a partner or even a friend who is older to your policy? go onto the website and add them in as named and come back to us.

At this rate it should be a sticky to do this and get a pricing then. Sorry if you already did this.

If they cause accident though - Wont it affect my insurance in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

If they cause accident though - Wont it affect my insurance in future?

They will never drive your car........ever. You are just putting down as a named driver. There isn't a law to say that they must then drive your car.

If they have a claim on their own policy separate to your car, it doesn't affect your policy or no claims.

They will never drive your car........ever. You are just putting down as a named driver. There isn't a law to say that they must then drive your car.

If they have a claim on their own policy separate to your car, it doesn't affect your policy or no claims.

huh.
    €1175 from Liberty Insurance fully comp. (When adding my mother to policy as named driver - only 2 years full irish license).

How the **** does this work? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

€1,100 - TPFT [ 123.ie ]

I'm with liberty. I'm 25 with 5 years ncb, driving a 09 3 series and I'm paying 850 fully comp with my father and sister as named drivers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I don't understand the sense behind this.

I was told by my company that if I could put down a named driver, even a neighbour, it may bring down my quote.

Advertisement