Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

pawrick wrote: »

2017 - 737.35 fully comp
    2016 - 609.50 fully comp
    2015 - 510.02 fully comp

that time again, renewal in this morning €775 , no change to anything from previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glen123

Female
    Ncd 9 years
    Full Irish licence - 14 years
    2007 Golf 1.4 Petrol
    No points
    No modifications
    Value €3000

Got renewal from Allianz (F/Comprehensive) - 363.13eur. Went down by 10eur from last year. Also have husband on this policy with no claims and Full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Male
    NCD 5 Years
    Full Irish License - 4 Years
    2009 Hyundai i20 1.2 Classic 1248cc
    No points
    No modifications
    Value €3500
    Dublin 15 area
    €0 value claim (insurer paid back) from 2017

After much back and forth with a few of the insurers with best prices (only including comprehensive quotes):

AA - €885
    Bank of Ireland - €1030
    Campion (via Asgard) - €782
    Chill (via Asgard) - €782
    Cover in a Click - €825
    Sheridan - €850
    KennCo - €800
    AXA - €880
    Allianz - €1040
    Quote Devil - €880
    Zurich - €1020
    Blue - €1300
    123.ie - €1400
    Liberty - No Quote
    Aviva - No Quote
    AIG - No Quote

Most TPFT I asked about was around the €700 - €750 range just for reference sake.

Going to go with Campion (for €782) over Chill for no reason other than I liked the guy I was on to, it's the same Asgard policy either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

marvsins wrote: »
    In fairness just got a quote of €550 from 25plus. BoI quoted €1100 !! My current policy is 750 (allianz.plc)though my broker which is due in May.

Just wait until you have a problem, ( hopefully not ), and have to deal with them online :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

mattser wrote: »
    Just wait until you have a problem, ( hopefully not ), and have to deal with them online :mad::mad:
    https://www.25plus.ie/help-centre/car-insurance-help-centre/make-or-track-a-claim.aspx

Do they not answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

mattser wrote: »

Problem with what? Claims are processed directly by underwriter, not by the broker...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

grogi wrote: »
    Problem with what? Claims are processed directly by underwriter, not by the broker...

Wasn't a claim in my case. Had to do with change of car. Very hard to get anywhere on chat ( broker ). Then it can take 48 hours for a callback.

Nothing beats being able to pick up a phone and talk to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

37 F
    9+ NCD
    No penalty points
    171 Dacia Sandero 0.9l
    1 additional driver 35M

Last year its4women 501
    Renewal 606!!

Cheapest quote is so far 591 with liberty

And there was me expecting cheaper this or so I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 James128890

Turned 17 in January tried to get insurance quote on a 1.0 polo the last day only insurance company that would give me a quote was axa and they quoted me 8100 and something fully comp and 7300 and something third party only that was in my own name as I tried to go as a Named driver under my dads name and they wouldn’t even give him a quote. Don’t think I’ll be driving anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Turned 17 in January tried to get insurance quote on a 1.0 polo the last day only insurance company that would give me a quote was axa and they quoted me 8100 and something fully comp and 7300 and something third party only that was in my own name as I tried to go as a Named driver under my dads name and they wouldn’t even give him a quote. Don’t think I’ll be driving anytime soon.

Jesus I knew things were bad but that is crazy. Back when I was younger I was on a provisional for a few a while(for some reason I was never in a rush to get a full but this was a long time ago) and I think I was quoted 3 or 4 thousand on a 1.3 Jap import EG civic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That’s just shocking but everyday, even in Dublin, I see Learners and Novices acting the a-holes in their VW’s. Driving in Bus Lanes, undertaking, not indicating. God knows what they’re like down the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

That's the highest quote ive ever seen, wouldn't even bother inquiring further until I had my full license

No quote under your fathers insurance, how's his driving record?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Male - Mid thirties
    NCD full
    Full Irish License - 3 Years
    2009 Focus 1.6 Petrol
    No points
    No modifications
    Value €4000
    Limerick Area
    Insured to drive other cars, fully comp and no claims protection.

€416 with Allianz, down from €550 with them last year. Delighted!

Other companies that quoted:

AA.ie € 675
    Liberty € 1,278 (shower of ****ez!)
    Chill.ie € 806
    123.ie € 865
    FBD € 743
    Axa.ie € 693
    AIG € 814
    First Ireland € 785

That's the highest quote ive ever seen, wouldn't even bother inquiring further until I had my full license

His driving record is fine 10+years no claims bonus and no penalty points or anything.
    Just when we rang and put it under his name and me as named driver they said it’s coming back as a decline on their system and they couldn’t tell us why and the quote for 8100 was on a 2005 polo but she tried it on a newer 1.0 polo 2014 and it came to 3700 and something third party only so basically i have to get a new enough car to get insurance. Although I would prefer a small van for working I can’t get a insurance quote on a van.

And another thing my 19 year old sister started driving last October on a provisional on a 2003 1.4 litre car and her insurance was 3500 fullycomp in her own name and both parents on as named drivers. It just doesn’t make sense

Ah yes I forgot, according to the insurance company all vehicles over 10 years old spontaneously bust into flames

Guess a valid NCT doesn't mean a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

And another thing my 19 year old sister started driving last October on a provisional on a 2003 1.4 litre car and her insurance was 3500 fullycomp in her own name and both parents on as named drivers. It just doesn’t make sense

I would rather not drive then pay €3500 for insurance, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

His driving record is fine 10+years no claims bonus and no penalty points or anything.
    Just when we rang and put it under his name and me as named driver they said it’s coming back as a decline on their system and they couldn’t tell us why and the quote for 8100 was on a 2005 polo but she tried it on a newer 1.0 polo 2014 and it came to 3700 and something third party only so basically i have to get a new enough car to get insurance. Although I would prefer a small van for working I can’t get a insurance quote on a van.

They are probably assuming that if an older driver tries to insure a second car with a young driver on it, then it's probably the young driver's car so should be insured in their name.

Try adding your parents onto the policy, it generally brings the quote down. Do you have any driving experience? Going on your parents policy for a year can help when you are starting out on your own policy.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I would rather not drive then pay €3500 for insurance, madness.

Ya I know that’s still very expensive but how come she got a quote starting off on a provisional for €3500 and I get a quote for €8000 it must be different for lads and girls and my quote was with the same insurance company and I even got a 10% discount because my sister was insured with them

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Got my Insurance Quote today, Very happy with it and very surprised, was expecting it to go up it was down by E30 last year E465 this year E435, fully comp with Aviva on a 1.5 Diesel Grand scenic 2010

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    They are probably assuming that if an older driver tries to insure a second car with a young driver on it, then it's probably the young driver's car so should be insured in their name.

Try adding your parents onto the policy, it generally brings the quote down. Do you have any driving experience? Going on your parents policy for a year can help when you are starting out on your own policy.

Ya tried adding them to the policy but made only €200 difference and I can’t go on their policy as my dad has a van for work which is on a comercial policy for the family business and the mother drives a passenger landcruiser which is crewcabbed and is on the commercial policy as well and they won’t add me to the landcrusier until I’m 19 and have a full license. I also tried getting a quote on a caddy van to add to my aul fellas policy (which I would prefer so I can carry tools for work) but they won’t add me as a nemed driver and won’t qoute me under my own name so I don’t know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Ya tried adding them to the policy but made only €200 difference and I can’t go on their policy as my dad has a van for work which is on a comercial policy for the family business and the mother drives a passenger landcruiser which is crewcabbed and is on the commercial policy as well and they won’t add me to the landcrusier until I’m 19 and have a full license. I also tried getting a quote on a caddy van to add to my aul fellas policy (which I would prefer so I can carry tools for work) but they won’t add me as a nemed driver and won’t qoute me under my own name so I don’t know what to do.

Try Liberty and a few brokers. Liberty is generally the best for young drivers and a broker knows the market so might be able to find you something cheaper.

If not you might have to go down the Boxymo route. It's restricted miles but it would get you a year's NCB and then next year you would have more options.

But your're 17 and she is 19. It makes a difference them 2 years which the quotes show. One time woman got far cheaper quotes than men but I think that changed a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

My daily driver is in the garage getting a few repairs done for the nct. I called axa to see if I could put my other car on the policy until tomorrow evening. I was told my 2004 Focus does not show up on their system as having insurance for at least 12 months and because of this they could not insure it.. Even though it's taxed and nct'd...

The focus is my 'spare' car and sits up in the garden most of the time.. can't understand the logic atall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Full licence 10+
    2017 Skoda Octavia Rs 2.0
    123.ie €400 TPFT

Full licence 10+
    123.ie €400 TPFT

That can't be right but I'd say you weren't arguing when you got that quote.

carzony wrote: »
    The focus is my 'spare' car and sits up in the garden most of the time.. can't understand the logic atall

We're talking insurance here, there is no common sense or logic

Ya ur right I priced it today to see how much it would be when I have full license and was quoted €3280 in my own name I’m actually very happy with that price considering I’m only 17 I thought when I got quoted 8grand It would be years before I’m driving such a relief. Just have to wait 5 months now before I can get the full license.

And that was the only company I priced so if I shop around I might even get it cheaper hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Ya I know that’s still very expensive but how come she got a quote starting off on a provisional for €3500 and I get a quote for €8000 it must be different for lads and girls and my quote was with the same insurance company and I even got a 10% discount because my sister was insured with them

Unfair like a lot of things in life kiddo, get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Full licence 10+
    123.ie €400 TPFT

TPFT on a €30k+ car. You're brave :eek::eek::eek:

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

h3000 wrote: »
    TPFT on a €30k+ car. You're brave :eek::eek::eek:

Oh I went fully comp for just under €700. That was the tyre kicking forecourt quote. I actually rounded off the figure too. It was €379-89 something like that. I was kinda quick with the credit card to remember. If there wasn’t so many idiots on the roads though I’d have went TPFT.

Advertisement