Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Wouldn't bother with First Ireland. There a nightmare to deal with at times, even getting through to them lately is an ordeal. They made a bollocks of my renewal in terms of TPFT and Comp and refuse to own up to it leaving me stuck on TPFT. Only that I'm moving abroad in a couple of months and want to keep the policy going for NCB purposes I'd be cancelling it and going elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Why would you have to inform them of the "investigation" costs, if no claim was made?

Nate

Apparently everything has to be mention when trying to retrieve quotes. It's still a claim, just not a claim that effects my NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

Male
    2008 Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 120bhp
    Full license 5 years
    6 years ncb

Renewal AA €1600 TPFT
    went with Liberty for €893 TPFT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Anyone have any dealings with Quote Devil, My sister got a good quote last year when she came back from overseas after 3 years, they took her previous NCD into consideration when no one else would, and were cheapest again this year, (They never rang me back)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Just got renewal quote; €1150 last year reduced to €840. Not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

First time being insured as main driver in 5+ years

30 M full license 10+ years
    Partner as named driver 29 F has own car
    05 Corolla
    5 years named driving experience

Alliance was by far and away the best €1080

Adding my OH brought it down by €200 despite bringing 6 points with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

renewal 1436.42

chill quote 1085 fully comp. 3pft 975

2005 skoda superb 1.9

22 years old 4 years ncb no points no claims 2 named drivers (parents)

who else should I call?

the chill guy said insurance is like flights they go up if you leave it too late. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

renewal 1436.42

2005 skoda superb 1.9

who else should I call?

the chill guy said insurance is like flights they go up if you leave it too late. lol

Try Liberty website. I would be shocked if it wasn't cheaper

flexcon wrote: »
    Try Liberty website. I would be shocked if it wasn't cheaper

€2027.72

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

renewal 1436.42

2005 skoda superb 1.9

who else should I call?

axa?

• Advertisement

my renewal is axa through britton insurance but I'll try them directly now

axa:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Try fbd. They gave me a no nonsense quote over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

my renewal is axa through britton insurance but I'll try them directly now

axa:

You just can't tell axa where the cheapest for me by a long way on a 16 yo VW Polo 1.4 petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

34yrs old, 9+ yrs of NCB, full licence etc..

Skoda Superb (280bhp) and getting quotes around 800e for fully comp from everywhere i have tried (Liberty, Chill, Allianz)

Seems high to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Try supervalu, cheapest by 90 euro to me and 140 cheaper if you install the app

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

mloc123 wrote: »
    34yrs old, 9+ yrs of NCB, full licence etc..

Skoda Superb (280bhp) and getting quotes around 800e for fully comp from everywhere i have tried (Liberty, Chill, Allianz)

Seems high to me?

Sounds pretty decent to me tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chancer12

60+, 40+ years driving, no points, no convictions
    2010 Ford Fiesta 1200 cc
    Fully comp, 1087 .... because of additional driver
    23, 2 years on prov licence
    increase of 200 on last year, not happy

very few quoting for young drivers, got 3000 quote for 'its 4 women' LOL

guess its 2 days on the phone getting quotes. Wish there was a database where you could enter your details and have them compete for the business rather than wasting days repeating the same info while listening to pre-recorded messages saying how important my business is to them, grrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm pretty annoyed, very few companies actually giving me an online quote and I'd love to just not call them.
    Anyway, details:

F27, 5 years driving experience, 3 in the EU, 2 in Ireland as a named driver, converted Full EU to Full Irish, no points, claims or convictions.
    Car is 07 Kia Ceed 1.6l
    Partner as a named driver, who's on a provisional.

So far I only got quotes from Axa who's our current insurer of 1900 for Third party
    and 3300 from liberty for third party.

At the moment he's insured on a provisional on our old car because I didn't get insurance on my Full EU. Policy runs out next month and the new quote would be 2900 with the new car on it.
    Car broke down, we had to skimp every cent together for a banger, so far insurance is more than the car is.

I have no words how annoyed I am, not even chill could give me a quote on the phone, that's just messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

LirW wrote: »
    I'm pretty annoyed, very few companies actually giving me an online quote and I'd love to just not call them.
    Anyway, details:

F27, 5 years driving experience, 3 in the EU, 2 in Ireland as a named driver, converted Full EU to Full Irish, no points, claims or convictions.
    Car is 07 Kia Ceed 1.6l
    Partner as a named driver, who's on a provisional.

So far I only got quotes from Axa who's our current insurer of 1900 for Third party
    and 3300 from liberty for third party.

At the moment he's insured on a provisional on our old car because I didn't get insurance on my Full EU. Policy runs out next month and the new quote would be 2900 with the new car on it.
    Car broke down, we had to skimp every cent together for a banger, so far insurance is more than the car is.

I have no words how annoyed I am, not even chill could give me a quote on the phone, that's just messed up.

5 years driving experience what does that mean? If you mean you were driving for 5 years that means nothing to them it is all about NCB. Afaik they do not account for NCB from another country so you may only have two from when you were here and then you have a driver on a provisional which will bring the cost up. Why is you partner looking to drive the car you should tell him/her to get the full licence before they get insured.

Just to clarify, I converted my license from a Full EU to a Full Irish and the issue date on it is the same of my original license. I'm aware that my outside experience doesn't mean anything (which is pretty retarded if you ask me) and I have 2 years as a named driver on his policy.
    The reason why he held the policy was that I was not able to get insurance on my full EU, only one company would quote me and they wanted 5k off me. So it made sense insuring him and adding me, that's what even the insurance told me, because I wasn't residing in Ireland for over 12 months at that point.

I try getting quotes throwing him out of it. It's really hard getting insurance as a non-Irish license holder, don't know if you're aware of that. That's why I converted mine, all I had to do was going to the NDLS and handing mine in and pulling my Irish out of the envelope, that supposedly made me a better and safer driver...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try Allianz over the phone.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Try Allianz over the phone.

I'll go and ring around the companies after the weekend definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Driving a 171 Hyundai Ioniq, and so far tonight i’ve had 3 companies refuse to give me a quote when I try online.

Drive about 40,000km a year, no claims discount of 10+ years, 6 penalty points, of which 3 will expire the end of next month.

****ing ridiculous carry on. I ****ing hate these companies. ****ing cesspits.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Driving a 171 Hyundai Ioniq, and so far tonight i’ve had 3 companies refuse to give me a quote when I try online.

Drive about 40,000km a year, no claims discount of 10+ years, 6 penalty points, of which 3 will expire the end of next month.

****ing ridiculous carry on. I ****ing hate these companies. ****ing cesspits.

You have 6 penalty points.

That's the cut off point for virtually all insurers when it comes to new business.

It's not their fault you did not adhere to the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

M34, 10+y driving exp, 6y ncb, driving a 151 hyundai i20. Have 3 penalty points.

Was 575 with boi thru rsa last year, which included a 25% discount as i was had a boi accoynt. Renewal this year was 638.

Sv/aig were 540, but im going with the post office insurance for 518. All fully comp. Couldnt find anything cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Age - old
    Driving - 30+ years
    Points - none
    Claims - none
    Driving - 5 series
    Quote - €521 fully comp + step back protection
    Co. - Aig

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Driving: 30 years
    No points or claims
    1.2 14yr Fiesta
    Aviva with Step Back Protection
    €400 Full Comprehensive
    Down again on last years quote

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Came in the post this week, was preparing to shop around but...

Male
    No points, no claims since 2011(small one)
    141 Civic 1.4
    Aviva with protected no claims discount
    €420.84

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

You have 6 penalty points.

That's the cut off point for virtually all insurers when it comes to new business.

Well if that’s the case it should be communicated to people. Just refusing to give a quote with no explanation is ridiculous.

I’m sure you won’t agree, as you seem to have that typical mods ‘know all’ attitude that seems to pervade this site in recent years.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chancer12

chancer12 wrote: »
    60+, 40+ years driving, no points, no convictions
    2010 Ford Fiesta 1200 cc
    Fully comp, 1087 .... because of additional driver
    23, 2 years on prov licence
    increase of 200 on last year, not happy

very few quoting for young drivers, got 3000 quote for 'its 4 women' LOL

guess its 2 days on the phone getting quotes. Wish there was a database where you could enter your details and have them compete for the business rather than wasting days repeating the same info while listening to pre-recorded messages saying how important my business is to them, grrrrrrrrrrrr

Quite literally spent the day on the phone yesterday and the range of quotes was ridiculous as were the variations on what was on offer viz 'step back', excess etc. You almost need to spend the full day getting into the zone and creating a spreadsheet to compare like with like. Insurance is an essential that increases each year and becomes more and more complex. Anyway rant over I finally got a good price

Fully Comprehensive self and Provisional driver, with full bonus protection for 897.77 with the AA. Got a young sales guy who was determined to get the business so he went from 1039 down to 897.77 throwing in various discounts. I was lucky because he wanted the business, most companies aren't prepared to negotiate!

Advertisement