Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

For Connacht I’d hazard a guess at:

Byrne Cronin Bent
    Kearney Fardy
    SOB Deegan VDF

McGrath Marsh
    Reid Ringrose
    Dave Nacewa Byrne

Byrne, Dooley, Porter, Josh Murphy, Jordi Murphy, McCarthy, ROL, McFadden

And then something like the below for Ulster

McGrath Tracy Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Leavy Conan VDF

JGP Byrne
    Henshaw Ringrose
    Lowe Kearney Byrne

Cronin, Byrne, Porter, Kearney, SOB, McCarthy, Marsh, Larmour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

This Leinster team is playing like a champion, there are games in which they have to defend in their 22/5 meters for a good portion of the game and they concede very little, there are other games where they attack well and score lots of tries.

They alternate well between their attacking and defending phases regardless of the 15 players on the pitch which is quite amazing. The coaching staff are doing their homework on every opponent and adapt their strategy accordingly.

I am not saying that Leinster will win any title this season, I am just saying that Leinster is one of the best team out there at the moment and they are gonna be very hard to beat/eliminate in the ECPR.

Lowe was the worst player on the pitch today simply because 2 tries were conceded directly because of his bad positioning/reading of the game...hopefully he will improve as I was expecting more from a player of his caliber.

Edit: Oh, and I should just add, home or away games make no difference to Leinster so far...Glasgow, Exeter and now Munster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »

And then something like the below for Ulster

McGrath Tracy Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Leavy Conan VDF

JGP Byrne
    Henshaw Ringrose
    Lowe Kearney Byrne

Cronin, Byrne, Porter, Kearney, SOB, McCarthy, Marsh, Larmour

You can't pick all 3. :)
    Hopefully James Ryan isn't out long term, or the kolpak quota may sting.

I think your lineup for Connacht will do well to get an LBP, even if Connacht need to rest a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

molloyjh wrote: »
    Nobody has that level of incision against Exeter. Not even Saracens, who have failed to beat Exeter the last 3 times of asking.

We’re the 4th best defence in Europe, just 10 points behind Munster who are the best. And 57 points ahead of Saracens. Given how tough our pool is that’s pretty good going. We’re second seed behind Clermont on PD. We’ve also got the best defence in the league as it stands.

What we didn’t show in attacking flair against Exeter we did show in nous, a real edge and ability to win. That to me is far more important for the evolution of this side right now. How many Leinster sides have we seen in the past with great attacking flair and nothing to show for it at the end of the season? Even last season we were topping all sorts of tries scored stats but won nothing because, when the going got tough we struggled. And that cost us at the end of last season, despite our great attacking record. These Exeter games have shown that when the going gets tough now we have a real ability to get the result. And that will stand to us later in the season.

Your don't have to sacrifice one for the other. Clearly when I referenced Saracens I meant the 2 time European champions not the side that's lost 7 on the bounce.

The 2 things are not mutually exclusive. We can strive to a better attacking game without sacrificing our defensive grit.

For leinster to evolve I want us to add more in attack. We saw today what lowe brought. We should be looking to have that in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I heard recently that Ross Byrne is going to Ulster at the end of the season. This is not a drill folks, it's apparently happening. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I heard recently that Ross Byrne is going to Ulster at the end of the season. This is not a drill folks, it's apparently happening. :(

He has litterally been involved in every match day squad this year. Why would he go? If Jackson gets the all clear he will just be on the bench up there.

Not doubting your source but really makes no sense to move

FrannoFan wrote: »
    He has litterally been involved in every match day squad this year. Why would he go? If Jackson gets the all clear he will just be on the bench up there.

Not doubting your source but really makes no sense to move
    I read it that the tea leaves aren't good for PJ. Either way, this is going to be a sordid affair and he may be well advised to leave for a while, even if he's found not guilty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What? Why would he do that? He's in fine health. Hasn't had a single injury in his pro career.

Peregrine wrote: »
    What? Why would he do that? He's in fine health. Hasn't had a single injury in his pro career.
    What's his fitness got to do with it? :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

To make way for cranberry at ten for Leinster?

I'd send carbs down to Munster to bond with Conor instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Cranberry at ten

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Spoke with someone over Christmas involved in public prosecutions who told me the DPP will never take forward a case like this without a very high level of confidence. The fact they've dropped a charge against Olding but maintained the charges against Jackson is a statement in itself about how they see things panning out.

If we lose Byrne it will be a massive loss. He is the long term outhalf for Leinster. I'm fully on board with that. But getting the reins at another province with some top talent is very tempting.

I'll be gutted to see him go though. Big blow to Leinster and their long term plans.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Such a move makes absolutely no sense for Leinster. Colour me sceptical.

awec wrote: »
    Such a move makes absolutely no sense for Leinster. Colour me sceptical.
    Why would Leinster get to dictate where he plays?

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »

Why would he leave? His own province need him. There’s no guarantees at this stage he’d be any better off in the pecking order in Ulster.

A move like this would be pretty unprecedented.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lowe was poison today, but we know he's capable of much much more so I'll give him the benefit of doubt.

awec wrote: »

Why would he leave? His own province need him. There’s no guarantees at this stage he’d be any better off in the pecking order in Ulster.

A move like this would be pretty unprecedented.

Why wouldn't he? Promise of being first choice at a province that regularly makes the knock out stages of both tournaments and plays alongside some of the best back line talent in the country.

Ulster have demonstrated their ambition to develop Irish talent and improve their squad by signing some serious Irish talent already for next season and they've a very strong corps of Leinster developed players already including lads Byrne has played with before.

The fact that he'd be undisputed first choice for Ulster would almost be enough to make it a seriously tempting offer in itself though. I really hope Leinster convince him otherwise. I'd genuinely rather lose Carbery.

.ak wrote: »
    Lowe was poison today, but we know he's capable of much much more so I'll give him the benefit of doubt.
    You're being ridiculously over the top in your criticism of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

'Poison' is a bit strong. It was his first proper game and he looked at sea in terms of defensive positioning but there were definitely some positives. Being part of a very raw back three wouldn't have helped either I guess.

'Poison' is a bit strong. It was his first proper game and he looked at sea in terms of defensive positioning but there were definitely some positives. Being part of a very raw back three wouldn't have helped either I guess.

Poison is perfectly apt, directly responsible for leaking points down his channel, probably two tries he could've stopped if he defended with the team not as an individual, and don't get me started as his playing silly buggers in every ruck.

• Advertisement

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If I had to choose between Byrne and Carbery it's Joey all day long. Would much rather both stay of course. There will have to be a decision made eventually though as both can't play 10 at the same time.

+1
    A couple of mistakes in defence is hardly a hanging offence for a guy just off the plane and yet to develop an on-field relationship with his team=mates. Very harsh to call him poison. Especially as his workrate was pretty damn hectic.

+1
    A couple of mistakes in defence is hardly a hanging offence for a guy just off the plane and yet to develop an on-field relationship with his team=mates. Very harsh to call him poison. Especially as his workrate was pretty damn hectic.

It was a lot more than a 'couple of mistakes'.

And I never said he IS poison, just that he WAS.

Read my OP again, I said I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. He's one of the best left wingers in the world, I expected more considering his calibre but I do value his work rate and will fit in eventually.

How?

You've micro analysed his game which can be done with any player and they'll come off badly. You have a focus on picking apart wingers. His overall performance was not "poison".

He made some big mistakes. He showed some nice moments too. Plenty to work on and plenty to be excited about.

Clegg wrote: »
    If I had to choose between Byrne and Carbery it's Joey all day long. Would much rather both stay of course. There will have to be a decision made eventually though as both can't play 10 at the same time.
    To keep or to let go? Carbery to keep for me, but I hate making the choice. Ross Byrne has no ceiling yet and his cross-field kicks are so accurate it's silly. So far injury has been keeping Joey out of the ten shirt, but the time will come when a choice absolutely must be made and letting Byrne go to Ulster means that both can develop quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

You're a moderator? I'm gobsmacked. Typical clueless internet nonsense. Poison? I genuinely doubt you have ever played the game. I notice your whingeing about referees in a few posts. You are clearly some socceresque knack who spouts poisonous cliched tripe as a sop to his own ego.

Poisonous and frankly embarrassing. Please stop pretending to know everything there is to know about rugby and then boring us all to death. Get your arse onto planetrugby and see how you get on.

You've micro analysed his game which can be done with any player and they'll come off badly. You have a focus on picking apart wingers. His overall performance was not "poison".

He made some big mistakes. He showed some nice moments too. Plenty to work on and plenty to be excited about.

I analysed more than him. But c'mon, can you say he wasn't the worst player on the pitch? Clearly was.

He did show some nice moments in attack, and I am excited about him, don't see how I can't say that but not acknowledge he had an awful game that almost cost us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think we can all agree that the Kolpak argument is settled for a while at least.

• Advertisement

This should be entertaining.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement