Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You know this season as we get fewer home games due to the conference system STHs are meant to get an extra ticket to a home game, how does one go about claiming said ticket? Logged onto my ticketmaster account but nothing is jumping out at me.

You should have got an email and there was a code in that email you can use to claim the ticket on ticketmaster. I got the email on 9th August and it was titled "Guinness PRO14 Fixtures & Munster Timelines"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You should have got an email and there was a code in that email you can use to claim the ticket on ticketmaster. I got the email on 9th August and it was titled "Guinness PRO14 Fixtures & Munster Timelines"

Got it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭durthacht

Very strong contender for try of the year. Some pair of feet, jesus.

There is a fella on thejournal.ie criticising Larmour for not passing!
    "Really liked the Larmours try on first watch, but he does choose not to pass to any of the three men on his outside and, as fast as he looked, Zebo chased him down hard."

Mind you, there is another guy whose suggested Six Nations team doesn't include Henderson or Healy. Maybe I just just stop reading comments on thejournal.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I kinda surprised people are this impressed by Zebo chasing him down. I've heard it in a few spots. Zebo was a hell of a lot fresher, supposedly rapid, had the angle and wasn't trying to avoid numerous other players

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I have to say .ak you’re the man for polar extremes

« Ferg was absolutely brilliant »
    « Lowe was poison »

Defending is a team effort, and Lowe got it wrong once in my view. Not unusual in a 2nd outing. Also not sure where you read he was one of the worlds best left wingers? He’s a good left winger i don’t think he’s world class though. Also he could have given away a couple of ruck penalties and he lost a couple of the kick chases. But he all but scored a try and his work rate was ferg-esque. Give the man a bit of leeway to settle in.
    Yeah. Only his second outing and only one player iirc in the back five (Larmour) the same as in his first match. Also much tougher opposition this time around.

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I kinda surprised people are this impressed by Zebo chasing him down. I've heard it in a few spots. Zebo was a hell of a lot fresher, supposedly rapid, had the angle and wasn't trying to avoid numerous other players

I don't think he started 80m from the Munster tryline either.

Most back 3 players top out around 30 - 40 meters and are slowing down after that. The best 100m runners in the world only hit top speed for 50m before slowing down quite a bit for the remainder.

Larmour was 70m into a run with numerous pace changes and side steps, was carrying a ball and had played nearly a full game of rugby at that stage. I reckon I could have gotten my hands on him at the range but it doesn't matter, Zebo got him and put in a technically excellent tackle. The tackle is by a significant margin the more impressive aspect of that contact.

As for whether Larmour could have passed? Passing was a lowish risk option as was holding onto the ball but that close to the line he's as well to back himself,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Against the Dragons, Larmour made an amazing break, and passed to ROL when he probably shouldn't have. I don't think he has a selfishness problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I was hoping, midway through his run, that he won't pass the ball and will attempt to score the try himself. He's done most of the hard work and the try won't look the same if he passed the ball. Great try for Leinster and great try for him to lift his confidence.

.ak wrote: »
    and don't get me started as his playing silly buggers in every ruck.

This is a positive. Would you ever get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

This is a positive. Would you ever get a grip.

Maybe if he knew what he was doing - but that didn't appear to be the situation yesterday. He looked like a fish out of water and was fortunate that Nigel was feeling charitable on a couple of occasions.

Turnipman wrote: »
    Maybe if he knew what he was doing - but that didn't appear to be the situation yesterday. He looked like a fish out of water and was fortunate that Nigel was feeling charitable on a couple of occasions.

Yeah grand, come back to me with some stuff that actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

errlloyd wrote: »
    Against the Dragons, Larmour made an amazing break, and passed to ROL when he probably shouldn't have. I don't think he has a selfishness problem.

He's just evening it all out. He'd have 100% scored against the dragons if he held onto it but didn't and I respect that, shows he's not all out for it.

Larmours try in Thomond makes up for Garry not getting his special Thomond try after the unreal break he made ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Yeah grand, come back to me with some stuff that actually happened.

What would be the point? I'm unable to do sign language and it's pretty obvious that you are visually challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Turnipman wrote: »

Yeah he coughed up one stupid penalty for side entry and minutes later had to be told not to do it again as he was making shapes to. It was blatant from him and pretty naive. Overall he had a good game on both sides of the ball, but some of the errors were fairly basic ones that he just needs to learn from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I have to say .ak you’re the man for polar extremes

« Ferg was absolutely brilliant »
    « Lowe was poison »

Defending is a team effort, and Lowe got it wrong once in my view. Not unusual in a 2nd outing. Also not sure where you read he was one of the worlds best left wingers? He’s a good left winger i don’t think he’s world class though. Also he could have given away a couple of ruck penalties and he lost a couple of the kick chases. But he all but scored a try and his work rate was ferg-esque. Give the man a bit of leeway to settle in.

A lot wingers plying their trade at the top level said that about Lowe, including Isa.

Anyway the reason the comments are polar opposite is because their performances were polar opposites.

It never ceases the amaze me how people will get so upset over an honest appraisal of a player.

You'd swear I signed the lads death warrant the way people are going on.

I've no doubt he'll be an excellent signing and a 1st choice, but that doesn't change the fact he had an awful game yesterday. Everyone can relax, nobody died.

Any news on James Ryan?

Another game, another injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gleesonisgod

THFC198 wrote: »
    Our box kicking has been long all season, very much a tactic we use and then back our defense into putting them under pressure and making mistakes
    Feels that way alright...

Thing is, Carbery is one of those guys you can't help but feel will learn as he goes. Same can be said for Byrne, but I think Carbery has that wider array of talents that will make him an international class 10.

But let's see what happens, Carbery needs to get fit and playing at 10 first.

If everyone was fit and firing right now some very special players would be losing out... but it's rugby, so nobody is ever fit and firing, which is why I don't think Byrne will be going on anywhere. Seems to have a knack of keeping himself fit, he doesn't needlessly go into contact often, he defends cleverly, and he's a pretty big unit. He'll have as much game time as he wants with Leinster and IRFU's cottonwool treatment of Johnny.

Surely Joey wants to play 15 no? Why would any player want to play second fiddle.

Our attack is a lot better with Carberry at fullback. Henshaw and Kearney do;t offer much creatively.

Surely Joey wants to play 15 no? Why would any player want to play second fiddle.

Our attack is a lot better with Carberry at fullback. Henshaw and Kearney do;t offer much creatively.

By the end of the coming 6N Kearney will also be 32, in the short/medium term he's going to not be first choice anyway just through age.

• Advertisement

No player wants to play second fiddle. But a young player wants to learn from the best and to then surpass them. Is that not feasible for Carbery?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    No player wants to play second fiddle. But a young player wants to learn from the best and to then surpass them. Is that not feasible for Carbery?

Barring injury, it's unlikely Joey will displace Sexton before the WC, much better chance at making the Leinster and Irish teams at fb. There's also the possibility of PJ coming back.

Personally I'd start Joey over Rob right now if they were both fit.

Barring injury, it's unlikely Joey will displace Sexton before the WC, much better chance at making the Leinster and Irish teams at fb. There's also the possibility of PJ coming back.

Personally I'd start Joey over Rob right now if they were both fit.
    Not a very high bar to be fair.

But eighteen months is a long time for a guy of his talents. The first thing is for him to get some game time at ten, but there's no doubt that everyone from Joe Schmidt down sees his long term future at ten.

I wonder which player Cullen is talking about here:

Looking back at the Exeter games, and particularly the Aviva game, we’re not sure we got the selection right for that game. Some guys have been pushing hard to get picked and the players know every time they play now it’s a massive opportunity for them because if they go well, the knock-on effects are huge for them.

“I look back on the Exeter game and I’m not sure we got it right as coaches so a lot of guys had a real point to prove today. They prepped well, it was important we made some changes. Guys were disappointed from missing out in Europe as well so they were chomping at the bit to play and I think that showed.

I wonder which player Cullen is talking about here:
    Twelve changes means we'll still be guessing next Christmas. ;)

A lot wingers plying their trade at the top level said that about Lowe, including Isa.

Anyway the reason the comments are polar opposite is because their performances were polar opposites.

It never ceases the amaze me how people will get so upset over an honest appraisal of a player.

You'd swear I signed the lads death warrant the way people are going on.

I've no doubt he'll be an excellent signing and a 1st choice, but that doesn't change the fact he had an awful game yesterday. Everyone can relax, nobody died.

It might be your attempt at an honest appraisal of a player but you are quite clearly on your own. He wasn't perfect but your views on him are absurd.

"The way people are going on" - your post on the other thread is as close as you'll get to a rant.

We've seen all this before.

Not a very high bar to be fair.

But eighteen months is a long time for a guy of his talents. The first thing is for him to get some game time at ten, but there's no doubt that everyone from Joe Schmidt down sees his long term future at ten.

You're missing my point. The WC is as long term as one can be thinking right now, and currently Sexton will be our no.1. Joey is hardly banking on Jonny getting injured.

Forgetting about the WC all together, he'll want to be starting in the Champions Cup, Summer Tour, AI's, and the 2019 6N.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think .ak was a bit OTT, but this is a player that people were calling "our best winger" before he'd seen a blue jersey and saying it was worth having Nick McCarthy on the bench in a crunch European game against the premiership leaders and champions, just to accommodate him. That was every bit as OTT.

In that context, Lowe fell well short of the mark yesterday. Exeter would have skinned him alive.

I've no doubt he will improve greatly but right now he doesn't make the first 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I heard recently that Ross Byrne is going to Ulster at the end of the season. This is not a drill folks, it's apparently happening. :(

Heard the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

It suggests that hopes are not high that PJ will be available

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement