Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

durthacht wrote: »
    I'm watching the Connacht v Ulster match and very impressed with Tom Farrell. I know he was in the Leinster academy but don't remember him being close to the senior team. I suppose he would have been behind Ringrose and O'Loughlin though. Does anyone know if he was highly rated in Leinster and ever came close to a senior breakthrough there?
    Girve wasn't a fan. Made team of the 20's world cup and even then girve was reluctant to put into academy. Himself and Tom daly were a really physical pairing during that world cup and with lansdowne in AIL.
    Never really got a chance. Had a few injuries during 3rd year academy which is often a killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Leinster team. Half strength really and a very weak bench. JGP almost guarantees Leinster won't win.

What is issue with JGP? I always thought he done ok.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Shefwedfan wrote: »

You must be new here. Let me show you around.

JPG is the new Kane Douglas. Regardless of what he does, he can do no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Shefwedfan wrote: »

You must be new here. Let me show you around.

JPG is the new Kane Douglas. Regardless of what he does, he can do no good.

Yeah there’s a bit of that carry on all right. He’s had a few poor games and isn’t the guy you want to rely on to manage a game from the start. So when he’s playing beside an inexperienced 10, like he was a bit last year, he can struggle somewhat. And his kicking tends to be a bit dodgy. But that aside he’s been pretty decent for us. I’d imagine McCarthy will overtake him soon enough but JGP doesn’t deserve some of the crap he gets. Now that Byrne has a bit more experience he should be fine tomorrow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I wouldn't say JGP is bad but there's not really any part of his game that's particularly good, is there?

Come to think of it, you'd be hard pressed to find something McGrath excels at.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

I wouldn't say JGP is bad but there's not really any part of his game that's particularly good, is there?

Come to think of it, you'd be hard pressed to find something McGrath excels at.

JGP's support play when someone's made a break is top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

JGP's support play when someone's made a break is top notch

As is McGraths

McGraths cover defence is superb. His kicking game has developed really well. He’s got real leadership qualities, although the more they are called into action the more the rest of his game suffers. He’s deceptively strong for his size too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

JGP is a good rugby player but a mediocre (at best) scrum half.

The fact that he looked completely disinterested at the end of last season did nothing for the perception of his abilities either.

Buer wrote: »

The fact that he looked completely disinterested at the end of last season did nothing for the perception of his abilities either.

He was at the end of 2 seasons straight to be fair to him. I just put his performances in the latter part of the season down to that. It hasn’t carried over into this season. He’s not top class, but he’s not as bad as some like to make out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »
    He was at the end of 2 seasons straight to be fair to him. I just put his performances in the latter part of the season down to that. It hasn’t carried over into this season. He’s not top class, but he’s not as bad as some like to make out.

He’s not quite Paul Marshall, that’s true. But I like the look of McCarthy and if he passes him then he may not stay on.

Yep, completely agree with that.

Buer wrote: »

Gibson park is a sort of grand lad when 1st choice is away but not someone you have massive faith in when it is a big occasion. (Like rabo semi final)

The big issue is now the requirements to have him on bench as scrum half cover and lowe won't be playing. Resentment will somehow be directed at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I think he's brilliant to come off the bench. He's such a weapon with his pace. But he's dangerously unreliable when he starts. I'd almost be leaning to starting McCarthy over him but bench JGP when McGrath plays. Could be my longing for james Lowe dictating though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The coaches seem to have no real interest in McCarthy, he's getting no game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The coaches seem to have no real interest in McCarthy, he's getting no game time.

It's his first year with a senior contract and we've an project player with a good bit of experience ahead of him. No real rush to push him for game time. It's not as if JGP is mopping up game time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

As long as he doesn’t kick he is fine, he’s quick and has a good sharp pass. Decision making is poor at times though.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    It's his first year with a senior contract and we've an project player with a good bit of experience ahead of him. No real rush to push him for game time. It's not as if JGP is mopping up game time either.

The rush is we need him as a viable bench option to bring lowe into the equation. We desperately need some attacking flair in back 3. With carbery injured and Rob preferred on the big occasion anyway we could really use lowe on the wing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

FrannoFan wrote: »
    The rush is we need him as a viable bench option to bring lowe into the equation. We desperately need some attacking flair in back 3. With carbery injured and Rob preferred on the big occasion anyway we could really use lowe on the wing

Plus JGP isnt good enough.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,291 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Plus JGP isnt good enough.

In not sure nick Mccarthy has a super xviii medal....
    Maybe he does.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

sydthebeat wrote: »
    In not sure nick Mccarthy has a super xviii medal....
    Maybe he does.

Dont think nick mccarthy has had the opportunity to sit on the bench for the hurricanes

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Dont think nick mccarthy has had the opportunity to sit on the bench for the hurricanes

Not much opportunity to sit on the bench for Leinster, cos, maybe.......

We managed just fine in the attacking stakes last season without Lowe. Ultimately Lowe is here to replace Isa in the back 3. But we’ve plenty of attacking options all over the park and haven’t been short of tries for the last 18 months. The need for Lowe to play stems from the fact that he looks very good and we are paying him to play.

We managed just fine in the attacking stakes last season without Lowe. Ultimately Lowe is here to replace Isa in the back 3. But we’ve plenty of attacking options all over the park and haven’t been short of tries for the last 18 months. The need for Lowe to play stems from the fact that he looks very good and we are paying him to play.

I disagree. I think we look very good in attack but there is another level we need to strive for. Those moments like Exeter game where carbery spark was badly missed. Lots of possession but not a lot of incision.

We are huffing and puffing over the line when there is a more efficient way of doing it.

We aren't a Saracens defensively so we will need to score tries.

I disagree. I think we look very good in attack but there is another level we need to strive for. Those moments like Exeter game where carbery spark was badly missed. Lots of possession but not a lot of incision.

We are huffing and puffing over the line when there is a more efficient way of doing it.

We aren't a Saracens defensively so we will need to score tries.

Nobody has that level of incision against Exeter. Not even Saracens, who have failed to beat Exeter the last 3 times of asking.

We’re the 4th best defence in Europe, just 10 points behind Munster who are the best. And 57 points ahead of Saracens. Given how tough our pool is that’s pretty good going. We’re second seed behind Clermont on PD. We’ve also got the best defence in the league as it stands.

What we didn’t show in attacking flair against Exeter we did show in nous, a real edge and ability to win. That to me is far more important for the evolution of this side right now. How many Leinster sides have we seen in the past with great attacking flair and nothing to show for it at the end of the season? Even last season we were topping all sorts of tries scored stats but won nothing because, when the going got tough we struggled. And that cost us at the end of last season, despite our great attacking record. These Exeter games have shown that when the going gets tough now we have a real ability to get the result. And that will stand to us later in the season.

What he said above.

What was missing last year to our excellent attacking performances was some tough grit for the hard tracks.
    The two Exeter games have showed that we are improving in that regard this season.

Our attacking style wasn't the reason we had no silverware last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Leinster really should bring out James Lowe hair mousse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Was nice to see ROL hit a bit of form in that game, his best of the season I'd say.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Leinster really should bring out James Lowe hair mousse.

It's the new Farrah Fawcett.

After all the negative press I thought James Gibson-Park was quality today. Unreal pace and great decision making and defence.

He is easily, easily second choice and probably close enough to McGrath to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah JGP was really good. Even his kicking was good and it's normally brutal.

Lowe needs some serious defensive coaching but the raw material is there I think.

I'd like to see maybe half that team retained against Connacht, rotate again for Ulster and then see who's earned the European jersey.

Another injury for Ryan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement