Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018 Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    What do you mean, DrPhilG? You're disappointed it's "only" 40kWh? I feel that's a respectable enough capacity. You have to take into account the Leaf competes at the bottom of the market. What were you expecting, 60kWh?

Nissan (and all other EV manufacturers excluding Tesla and Hyundai) have to be aware though that the most important thing about EVs is coefficient of drag. Nothing else matters as much. Not for now anyway while battery capacity comes at a price.
    Considering the bolt is available at 60kWh, that sets the new "non-premium" EV standard (ie non-Tesla).

Entering with a new EV now at 40kWh is toward the lower end of the current market and will be derisively old hat in 2-4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Soarer wrote: »
    How come?

I'm the same. I am optimistic, but I believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

grogi wrote: »
    I'm the same. I am optimistic, but I believe it when I see it.

How come? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    Considering the bolt is available at 60kWh, that sets the new "non-premium" EV standard (ie non-Tesla).

Entering with a new EV now at 40kWh is toward the lower end of the current market and will be derisively old hat in 2-4 years.

The Bolt isn't available over here though, is it, and its apparently being sold at a loss so I wonder if it is really the benchmark?

Nissan need to make money and I think the focus should be on range rather than battery size. This is what Tesla are doing by removing the battery capacity badges from their cars. Range is really all that matters, the Ioniq has taught us that.

Regardless, I don't think 40kWh will be old hat in 4yrs time based on the affordable EV's on the way.... which is very little!

KCross wrote: »
    The Bolt isn't available over here though, is it, and its apparently being sold at a loss so I wonder if it is really the benchmark?

Nissan need to make money and I think the focus should be on range rather than battery size. This is what Tesla are doing by removing the battery capacity badges from their cars. Range is really all that matters, the Ioniq has taught us that.

Regardless, I don't think 40kWh will be old hat in 4yrs time based on the affordable EV's on the way.... which is very little!
    It's not available here but that's because of the PSA/Peugeot involvement.
    It is available in the rest of the EU.

If you take 4 years from now going backwards (IE 2013) all we had was the gen1 leaf. We've moved on a lot in those 4 years, and we now have 40kWh in the Zoe and 30-33kWh in others. I think in another 4 years with the ever cheaper per kWh battery cost, the expanse in battery size will be exponentially faster. I think the limit for small cars will be 60kWh and luxury cars 100kWh.

It's a bit "predicting the future" though and all anyone can gave is their best guess based on what has gone before, and there's no reason why my answer is any more or less "correct" than yours.

For one thing, it will be interesting to come back in 2021 to read this thread and see what happened in the interim!

• Advertisement

It's not available here but that's because of the PSA/Peugeot involvement.
    It is available in the rest of the EU.

If you take 4 years from now going backwards (IE 2013) all we had was the gen1 leaf. We've moved on a lot in those 4 years, and we now have 40kWh in the Zoe and 30-33kWh in others. I think in another 4 years with the ever cheaper per kWh battery cost, the expanse in battery size will be exponentially faster. I think the limit for small cars will be 60kWh and luxury cars 100kWh.

It's a bit "predicting the future" though and all anyone can gave is their best guess based on what has gone before, and there's no reason why my answer is any more or less "correct" than yours.

For one thing, it will be interesting to come back in 2021 to read this thread and see what happened in the interim!

I don't think there will be exponential explosion of the capacity. In my opinion for entry level cars the range/capacity will plateau at 250 km of winter range - which is around 40 kWh combined with improved efficiency.

There will be cars with longer range, but it the progress will be towards cheaper drive trains rather than bigger batteries.

I don't think there will be exponential explosion of the capacity. In my opinion for entry level cars the range/capacity will plateau at 250 km of winter range - which is around 40 kWh combined with improved efficiency.

There will be cars with longer range, but it the progress will be towards cheaper drive trains rather than bigger batteries.

This ^^

The gains in capacity are hard won and expensive. It's not Moore's law we are dealing with in battery capacity. The cost of batteries has reduced considerably ($1000/kWh to <$200/kWh) which has allowed the increase from 24kWh EV's to 40-50kWh. Having 60kWh as standard in the medium term (10yrs) seems unlikely to me. You will be able to get it but pay a premium for it. i.e. it won't be a €25k car.

The next jump up will be difficult to deliver to the masses unless there is a battery tech breakthrough.... just my opinion based on how long it has taken to get to here and from listening to Musk talk about Tesla batteries and costs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,962 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+2

The average car in this country does 49km per day (18k km per year). So even with a 30kWh battery and an efficient EV, you only need to charge it twice a week at most. My point is that this is plenty for the average car.

People who need more range can opt for more expensive higher capacity batteries. But most people will never need them.

It is plenty.
    But if it were sufficient, we would already see mass EV adoption.

Which as we know, has not happened.

So - we need larger batteries and/or much more efficiency gains, to give a 400-500km real world range.
    The EVs we have now are great cars don't get me wrong but the reality is no one wants them - with the exception of the oddballs like myself (and the others on this forum) who can do the sums right!

It is plenty.

It is not about what people need, but what people think they need or want.
    Majority of people don't need diesel, yet it still is 70% of the market in here.

When the only option given is to buy a 400/250km (summer/winter range) car or 600/400km for 30% more, majority will really think and pick what they really need.

• Advertisement

It is plenty.

Which as we know, has not happened.

To be fair though, the 40kWh affordable cars are not here yet (apart form Zoe) so you can't say its insufficient because the market hasn't bought something that doesn't exist.

We need to see Leaf II, Model 3, Ioniq II and a bunch of other 40kWh cars and then you might see an upsurge in purchasing when put alongside higher taxes on ICE.

The more range the more independence from the charging network, the less range the greater the dependence.

The faster the charging the less need for larger batteries but more dependence on the charging network.

So range along with faster charging is key. I'd say a real 300 kms and 300 Kw charging would be pretty much perfect.

But........give people the option to choose a cheaper car with less Kwh or more expensive car with more kwh.

It is not about what people need, but what people think they need or want.
    Majority of people don't need diesel, yet it still is 70% of the market in here.

When the only option given is to buy a 400/250km (summer/winter range) car or 600/400km for 30% more, majority will really think and pick what they really need.
    To be fair though, the 40kWh affordable cars are not here yet (apart form Zoe) so you can't say its insufficient because the market hasn't bought something that doesn't exist.

We need to see Leaf II, Model 3, Ioniq II and a bunch of other 40kWh cars and then you might see an upsurge in purchasing when put alongside higher taxes on ICE.

People don't buy what they should, they buy what they want!
    Eg - people buying diesel to do 5k per year.
    Even if you show someone (and I know becaise I have done this) that an EV would suit 100% of their journeys for the past 12-18 months, there's the "what if" question which is magically resolved by the 400km range.

Logically an Ioniq or 30kWh leaf should suit everyone living in the GDA but there are very few on the road.

The more range the more independence from the charging network, the less range the greater the dependence.

The faster the charging the less need for larger batteries but more dependence on the charging network.

So range along with faster charging is key. I'd say a real 300 kms and 300 Kw charging would be pretty much perfect.

But........give people the option to choose a cheaper car with less Kwh or more expensive car with more kwh.

I have learned one important lesson re buying an EV,make sure you never need to use the network. Only for long trips (eg holidays etc), never for regular or time sensitive trips as it is not dependable. At all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I have learned one important lesson re buying an EV,make sure you never need to use the network. Only for long trips (eg holidays etc), never for regular or time sensitive trips as it is not dependable. At all.

And our TDs and govt are not even remotely interested in addressing the charging network. All the talk about improving air quality is just that. Talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

who_ru wrote: »
    And our TDs and govt are not even remotely interested in addressing the charging network. All the talk about improving air quality is just that. Talk.

They'd drastically improve the air quality if they shut up for a while.

I just don't see why ecotricity or fastned can't come here.
    I look jealously at the Norway companies with 4+FCP in some locations.

We can but dream :mad:

I just don't see why ecotricity or fastned can't come here.
    I look jealously at the Norway companies with 4+FCP in some locations.

We can but dream :mad:

They won't until there is a decision made on the current infrastructure.

Would you spend millions on a network rollout while the current system is free?

They need to know where they stand first. Tesla are an exception because the cost of their network is built into their car sales price.... very clever and gives them a big advantage going forward.

FYI: The CER are saying (yesterday) that they will publish a decision on it by the end of this month, so next week!

They need to know where they stand first. Tesla are an exception because the cost of their network is built into their car sales price.... very clever and gives them a big advantage going forward.

FYI: The CER are saying (yesterday) that they will publish a decision on it by the end of this month, so next week!

At least that would be some progress! Do you have a link to that?

At least that would be some progress! Do you have a link to that?

I dont. It was a direct email I sent to them and thats what they said to me yesterday.

They also said end of Q2 a few months ago so take it whatever way you wish, but a weeks time is awfully close to be bull****ting me so I think we will see some detail in the next 1-2 weeks.

The quote was:
    The CER is expecting to publish a decision paper by the end of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, if the Kona is over 300km, then the tipping point is close. Not a lot more needed to swing a large tranche of the public.

I could live with the Kona as the second EV car in the house, no ICE.

Water John wrote: »
    Well, if the Kona is over 300km, then the tipping point is close. Not a lot more needed to swing a large tranche of the public.

I could live with the Kona as the second EV car in the house, no ICE.

I concur, but is availability in large volume going to be the real issue?

If they couldn't fulfil Ioniq demand it doesn't bode well for a Kona that is to have a battery almost twice the size!

I dont. It was a direct email I sent to them and thats what they said to me yesterday.

They also said end of Q2 a few months ago so take it whatever way you wish, but a weeks time is awfully close to be bull****ting me so I think we will see some detail in the next 1-2 weeks.

The quote was:
    The CER is expecting to publish a decision paper by the end of this month.

Ok great.
    Hopefully it will bring an end to this impasse, one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

This isn't actually true. But the network in Ireland was conceived as a research project and effectively funded outside the state.

This makes us very unusual with an integrated nationwide system that was unfortunately not built on any strategic thinking

As aside a senior civil servant said to me " if you can see a way we can support the charger network and not fall foul of EU rules then let us know , cause currently we can't see a way to do it "

The civil servants understand the issue , but the EU is a right wing capitalist mentality and abhors state support

Ok great.
    Hopefully it will bring an end to this impasse, one way or another

The expected solution will entirely imperil EV takeup in Ireland I fear and create a commercial monopoly

I don't see any commercial competition arriving here once esb has a virtual monopoly position , I effect both controlling the grid and the chargers

We have firvall the right reasons ended up in a bad place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Was thinking of my mum who would in 95% of situations, could easily use an EV. But it is those times when she goes to see her siblings in the 4 corners of Ireland, when that 5% ,would be the most critically important. My mum will not want and will not understand the charging network and even if she did, one dud charger could spell 'disaster'. Not until someone likes her can pull into a 'service station' with guaranteed 'refulling' would i imagine an EV would ever suit her. (or indeed the vast majority of the public ).

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

BoatMad wrote: »
    The expected solution will entirely imperil EV takeup in Ireland I fear and create a commercial monopoly

Yes, I am led to believe that the likely outcome is just to wash hands, and hand charge of the network *(pardon the pun) over to ESB to do as they see fit.
    If they introduce the charging costs mooted before, I won't be buying a new EV atall after I sell my leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great Diesel, to extrapulate from your mother's particular circumstances, to the majority of the pop.
    If you don't believe in EV, you have made your point.

Can't see how ESB would be left with a monopoly, Against EU regs. ESB/EirGrid would have to produce a protocol that allows private suppliers enter the market.

• Advertisement

If they introduce the charging costs mooted before, I won't be buying a new EV atall after I sell my leaf.

Why ? If you got say, Leaf II and it has around 250 odd Kms how often would you use the Public network ?

Advertisement