Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018 Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,126 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KCross wrote: »
    you cannot use max power for 18mins

The only reason you can't is because the software won't let you. If you took the limiter off you could :D

Maybe someone has tried this already somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    The only reason you can't is because the software won't let you. If you took the limiter off you could :D

Maybe someone has tried this already somewhere?

Its also limited by the software because the battery wouldn't take it, so if someone has tried it I'd say they had a bad result!

Not for 18 minutes? I doubt it would be a problem.

unkel wrote: »
    Not for 18 minutes? I doubt it would be a problem.

I won't claim to be an expert on that but my understanding is that the Leaf battery wouldn't take that level of current for 18mins.... not sure it would even allow it for a minute. I'd have to dig out specs... the C-rate is what they call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

cros13 wrote: »
    Don't be so sure about that. There is definately a larger battery than 40kWh on the way with the new Leaf. The only question is when will they have enough cell supply from LG to get it into dealers. But I'm very confident n Leaf with more than 50kWh will be on Irish roads in 2018. What I don't know is whether Nissan will acknowledge the existence of the larger battery at launch.

If you want a car with more than 320km of range don't buy the 40kWh Leaf, just wait another 6 months.

Wonder what the pricing on the 60kwh will be 35k

Guessing the 40kwh will be 25k as rumored here

if the 60kwh has a stronger motor say 200bhp vs 147bhp it would be worth it, but if its the same motor, not sure an extra 130km range is worth 10k

If both have 150kwh charging I would go with the 40kwh

Any chargers capable of 150kwh charging in Ireland, bar Tesla only one's?

Esb are max 50kwh?

• Advertisement

You won't see 150 Kw charging with a 40 Kwh battery that has 0 form of cooling, I'd say the best you can hope for is 60 Kw which is a hell of a lot better than the 24 Kwh Leaf and around 15 Kw better than the 30 Kwh.

With the exact same chemistry a 40 Kwh battery should take twice the charging current with the same level of heating, in regards to the current leaf chemistry that's 90 Kw, 45 Kw x 2 for the 30 Kwh but it does heat up faster than the 24 Kwh.

However, GM/LG capped the 60 Kwh Bolt charging to 50 Kw max. The excuse being that there are no chargers capable of more than this installed. ??? so what the real reason behind it remains unknown.

On Wiki I see ChaDeMo provides 62.5 Kw max. And I highly doubt Nissan implemented ChaDeMo II which I don't think even exists yet and even if it did there are 0 chargers and we're already unlikely to see new DC chargers in 2018.

I'm still puzzled as to why BMW still limit the 33 Kwh I3 to 47 Kw on a battery that has liquid cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

Although the battery can take that charging rate, the heat power generated in the pack will be proportionally higher.

The rate at which the heat is given away to the outside world is based on the outside surface area of the battery which is going to be the same. To get rid of twice the heat power, the battery would have to rise to twice the surface temperature.
    Battery temperature is one of the key item chademo monitors during charging.

You won't see 150 Kw charging with a 40 Kwh battery that has 0 form of cooling, I'd say the best you can hope for is 60 Kw which is a hell of a lot better than the 24 Kwh Leaf and around 15 Kw better than the 30 Kwh.

With the exact same chemistry a 40 Kwh battery should take twice the charging current with the same level of heating, in regards to the current leaf chemistry that's 90 Kw, 45 Kw x 2 for the 30 Kwh but it does heat up faster than the 24 Kwh.

However, GM/LG capped the 60 Kwh Bolt charging to 50 Kw max. The excuse being that there are no chargers capable of more than this installed. ??? so what the real reason behind it remains unknown.

On Wiki I see ChaDeMo provides 62.5 Kw max. And I highly doubt Nissan implemented ChaDeMo II which I don't think even exists yet and even if it did there are 0 chargers and we're already unlikely to see new DC chargers in 2018.

I'm still puzzled as to why BMW still limit the 33 Kwh I3 to 47 Kw on a battery that has liquid cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

sgalvin wrote: »
    Although the battery can take that charging rate, the heat power generated in the pack will be proportionally higher.

The rate at which the heat is given away to the outside world is based on the outside surface area of the battery which is going to be the same. To get rid of twice the heat power, the battery would have to rise to twice the surface temperature.

Assuming same charging efficiency is achieved. Updated manufacturing processes, even with same chemistry, often bring less defects and better efficiency.

sgalvin wrote: »

It would give off twice the heat given the fact the battery would be twice the physical size but the total heat would be the same for the same setup.

Now, if the current leaf 30 Kwh was capable of a 4 C charge rate it would heat up about the same at 90 Kw as the current 30 Kwh Leaf at 45 Kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

Just spotted this from Autocar email .. Full reveal 6 September..

• Advertisement

Definitely nicer, an estate version would be brilliant !

Are there any rumours about the AC charger in the new Leaf?

Should it have a three phase support 6.6 kW each, it would be an excellent car really. Even three phase at 3.3 kW would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 21,689 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

grogi wrote: »
    Are there any rumours about the AC charger in the new Leaf?

Should it have a three phase support 6.6 kW each, it would be an excellent car really. Even three phase at 3.3 kW would be good

Other than the spy shots confirming type2, I have not seen anything.
    Would not hold out much hope for more than 7kW

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ELM327 wrote: »
    Other than the spy shots confirming type2, I have not seen anything.
    Would not hold out much hope for more than 7kW

Hold up, isn't the current Leaf type 1? So everyone will need to buy new cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't think Leaf have changed charging Type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Hold up, isn't the current Leaf type 1? So everyone will need to buy new cables?

Yep, spy shots all show type 2 AC.

Water John wrote: »
    Don't think Leaf have changed charging Type.

It is changed to type2.
    Look at the photos of the charger input.
    It's the EU standard, type1 is dead.

Anyone buying Leaf II will presumably get a compatible cable with it.

Changing to a different cable will only be an issue for those who have already got a tethered Type 1 charge point at home. Either change the cable on the charge point or get a new one or get an untethered charge point.

And if you buy a new Leaf you get another free charger installed anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So I'm in the minority who buy second hand?

Is it possible to change the plug on my current cables? I bought a 10m cable and I'd rather change the end on it than buy a different one.

• Advertisement

Would probably make more financial sense to sell it and buy a Type 2 cable.

So I'm in the minority who buy second hand?

Is it possible to change the plug on my current cables? I bought a 10m cable and I'd rather change the end on it than buy a different one.

BoatMad is the expert but you can change the cable (as opposed to the connection).

i.e.
    - Buy new type 2 cable
    - Open EVSE and disconnect cable form controller
    - Connect new cable

Im sure someone will find a youtube video somewhere of it being done.

Changing the connection can technically be done but requires more equipment (crimping if I remember correctly).

Changing the cable shouldn't be much more complicated than wiring a plug.... health warning is that I haven't done it so I'm only relaying here.

You could also buy a type1 to type2 adapter.

I've found a power curve for a Leaf.

It would looks the power is limited by the battery. The torque, after initial spike, goes down to maintain the same power.
    Because of that the Leaf might feel restrained - it lacks that umphs experienced at low speed. It is however not less powerful than a 110 bhp ICE car and will accelerate equally (if not better - who drives the ICE near max power?) at any speed.

So if the new Leaf comes with 150 bhp drivetrain, it will feel more powerful mid-high speed than the current one. But it will still feel weaker than around 30 km/h.

So, following to my post in the generic motors forum...

Below the accelerations of a Leaf 1 (115 PS), Leaf 2 (150 PS) and 130 PS Golf Mk7 (it has Cx=0.27!!) on 2nd and 5th gears.

The initial acceleration of Leafs is limited only by available traction. I have allowed a bit more traction to the Leaf 2, a fantasy of the author... ;)

425371.png

As you can see, the current Leaf will accelerate slower than a slightly more powerful ICE, but only when that ICE is working around its maximum power - high revs.

Apply more current and you get more acceleration, more voltage and you get more speed but both can be manipulated by software and gearing and of course the electronics, wiring etc dictate how much power can be delivered and also the motor and battery.

Motors are capable of taking huge peak bursts of power, especially liquid cooled motors. It would not surprise me if the Leaf motor could take twice the power, efficiency might drop but acceleration is not constant.

The leaf is lacking mid and top but it can certainly keep speed up on the motorway and doesn't struggle whatsoever on motorway inclines at speed.

Nissan could have increased mid and top speed by altering power delivery and gearing but chose to have more power available at the low end probably because they thought the car would be used mainly in town and city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

ELM327 wrote: »
    You could also buy a type1 to type2 adapter.

Those are technically not legal. Also not weatherproof.
    The leaf is lacking mid and top but it can certainly keep speed up on the motorway and doesn't struggle whatsoever on motorway inclines at speed.

Nissan could have increased mid and top speed by altering power delivery and gearing but chose to have more power available at the low end probably because they thought the car would be used mainly in town and city driving.

As I understand it from my Nissan sources, this is the case. They will allocate more toward mid-range acceleration.

Apply more current and you get more acceleration, more voltage and you get more speed but both can be manipulated by software and gearing and of course the electronics, wiring etc dictate how much power can be delivered and also the motor and battery.

Motors are capable of taking huge peak bursts of power, especially liquid cooled motors. It would not surprise me if the Leaf motor could take twice the power, efficiency might drop but acceleration is not constant.

Lacking compared to what? An ICE? No, it doesn't - the chart shows that...

Power is limited not by the motor, but by how much the battery can deliver. Gearing won't produce power... So no, Nissan could not alter power delivery without compromising the health of the battery pack.

cros13 wrote: »
    Those are technically not legal. Also not weatherproof.

As I understand it from my Nissan sources, this is the case. They will allocate more toward mid-range acceleration.

They will. But that's really done not on purpose, but side effect of traction limitation.

Even with current Leaf, the low speed acceleration is limited by traction, not drive-train. With FWD you cannot really add more there and the new Leaf will offer very similar performance to the old one upto ~50 km/h, and the additional 40 PS of power the new Leaf comes will be felt from then. Around 60 km/h it will accelerate 30% faster than the current one (16 km·h⁻¹·s⁻¹ vs 12 km·h⁻¹·s⁻¹).

Lacking compared to what? An ICE? No, it doesn't - the chart shows that...

Well actually compared to our Diesel Cee'd of similar power it is lacking at the mid and top end which is noticeable on the motorway. The Cee'd has the benefit of the gear box, however at lower speeds the Cee'd feels like it has half the power due to lag, revs, clutch and gears etc and as with most diesels of that power makes for rather frustrating driving after driving an EV for so long.

So power itself doesn't tell the whole story.

Power is limited not by the motor, but by how much the battery can deliver. Gearing won't produce power... So no, Nissan could not alter power delivery without compromising the health of the battery pack.

Gearing won't produce power , I never said it would, if you read my post you will have read that by altering the gearing you can alter the power more for mid and top end power.

Software then controls the rest but so too does the motor and it's windings dictate the acceleration and top speed.

As I said electric motors can take much more than their rated power if kept cool provided it doesn't reach core saturation which will cause the motor to become a lot less efficient.

• Advertisement

They will. But that's really done not on purpose, but side effect of traction limitation.

Even with current Leaf, the low speed acceleration is limited by traction, not drive-train. With FWD you cannot really add more there and the new Leaf will offer very similar performance to the old one upto ~50 km/h, and the additional 40 PS of power the new Leaf comes will be felt from then. Around 60 km/h it will accelerate 30% faster than the current one (16 km·h⁻¹·s⁻¹ vs 12 km·h⁻¹·s⁻¹).

GM have 200 HP running through the front wheels of the Bolt EV.

You can have 300 HP also it doesn't matter because they don't have to apply so much low end torque at such low speeds and can make more power available at higher speeds and that 300 HP could be used to get higher speeds.

Advertisement