Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018 Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

GM have 200 HP running through the front wheels of the Bolt EV.

You can have 300 HP also it doesn't matter because they don't have to apply so much low end torque at such low speeds and can make more power available at higher speeds and that 300 HP could be used to get higher speeds.

And that's exactly what new Leaf will do. Up to ~50 km/h the torque will be limited and then full potential used. It will feel more powerful alright.

0-100 km/h in around 6.0 secs is the limitation for FWD car - that's what a Focus ST is capable of. If you want it faster, you need to go RWD or AWD. Upto 0-40 km/h current Leaf accelerates exactly that fast - around 17 ·h⁻¹·s⁻¹. But later runs out of power. New one will do it up to ~55 km/h.

Ah yeah it will be a decent power upgrade.

Shame the rear axle will still be the same that would improve handling just hope the steering has a lot more feel but I really doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Phil Fitzgerald at Electric Autos sells the plugs, and I have a friend who is a genius with anything electronic so I reckon changing the plug shouldn't be hard.

The 10m 32a cable wasn't cheap.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Phil Fitzgerald at Electric Autos sells the plugs, and I have a friend who is a genius with anything electronic so I reckon changing the plug shouldn't be hard.

The 10m 32a cable wasn't cheap.

But as previously highlighted, it will not be waterproof...

I really hope the next Leaf does NOT have that horrible dreadful sounding BOSE pile of dirt sound system !!!

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    But as previously highlighted, it will not be waterproof...

Why wouldn't it he waterproof? I'm talking about removing the plug and replacing it.

It was the adaptor that was described as not waterproof wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

KCross wrote: »
    BoatMad is the expert but you can change the cable (as opposed to the connection).

i.e.
    - Buy new type 2 cable
    - Open EVSE and disconnect cable form controller
    - Connect new cable

Im sure someone will find a youtube video somewhere of it being done.

Changing the connection can technically be done but requires more equipment (crimping if I remember correctly).

Changing the cable shouldn't be much more complicated than wiring a plug.... health warning is that I haven't done it so I'm only relaying here.

If you have a tethered cable changing the cable to a type 2 end is generally easy , certainly on the abl Rolec EVSEs that I have

Charging the plug itself requires hydraulic crimp tools

A converter cable is also an option

Ps properly done a retrofitted type 2 is fully waterproof

And that's exactly what new Leaf will do. Up to ~50 km/h the torque will be limited and then full potential used. It will feel more powerful alright.

0-100 km/h in around 6.0 secs is the limitation for FWD car - that's what a Focus ST is capable of. If you want it faster, you need to go RWD or AWD. Upto 0-40 km/h current Leaf accelerates exactly that fast - around 17 ·h⁻¹·s⁻¹. But later runs out of power. New one will do it up to ~55 km/h.

The torque curve of an electric motor is flat but the wind and rolling resistance are square laws.

Hence as you gain more speed a higher power output is needed to achieve greater aceletration

Low speed aceketation is largely governed by front wheel drive issues and is electronically governed

ELM327 wrote: »
    Other than the spy shots confirming type2, I have not seen anything.
    Would not hold out much hope for more than 7kW

Rumour has it they'd will be 11kw three phase option available

I.e. By using three 3.x modules

Same way by using two a single phase 7 kw will be offered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

BoatMad wrote: »
    Rumour has it they'd will be 11kw three phase option available

I.e. By using three 3.x modules

Same way by using two a single phase 7 kw will be offered

This is a bizarre way to do it from a packaging point of view.

A single 11kw is nowhere near the volume (or weight) of 3x 3.6kw units.

I can see how it might have been a simple (lazy?) upgrade for them for leaf 1 but it would be odd to maintain that arrangement when they have the opportunity to repackage it for the new car...

• Advertisement

bp_me wrote: »
    This is a bizarre way to do it from a packaging point of view.

A single 11kw is nowhere near the volume (or weight) of 3x 3.6kw units.

I can see how it might have been a simple (lazy?) upgrade for them for leaf 1 but it would be odd to maintain that arrangement when they have the opportunity to repackage it for the new car...

Well I think this is at a electronic pcb level and makes perfect sense as a 3 phase charger is in reality 3x single phase units

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Well I think this is at a electronic pcb level and makes perfect sense as a 3 phase charger is in reality 3x single phase units

Well yes... that makes more sense...

I started searching and ended up down a rabbit hole of people adding extra chargers to their gen 1 leafs

In here we have massive one phase supplies, contrary to the continent where everything above 12 kVA would be on three phases... Is it possible to feed all three chargers from same phase? The same way you would feed the electric hob...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

From CAR magazine today

The intrigue about the Mk2 Leaf is being stripped away by a series of leaks and official teasers. Powertrain details were briefly revealed on US automotive marketing platform Autobytel, suggesting the electric motor’s peak power will jump from 109 to 145bhp+, with peak torque climbing from 187 to 236lb ft. The motor will continue to spin the front wheels via a single speed transmission.

Battery pack capacity climbs from 30kWh to 40kWh, although that critical yardstick – range – is still secret. Today’s UK Leaf has a 155-mile range: will the Mk2 be able to pass 200 miles on a single charge, a feat managed by the Chevrolet Bolt with its 60kWh pack, and claimed by Tesla’s 50kWh Model 3? The other details revealed in the Autobytel leak were US list prices, starting at $29,990.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/nissan/new-2018-nissan-leaf-revealed-pictures-specs-and-details/

Bigus wrote: »
    From CAR magazine today

The intrigue about the Mk2 Leaf is being stripped away by a series of leaks and official teasers. Powertrain details were briefly revealed on US automotive marketing platform Autobytel, suggesting the electric motor’s peak power will jump from 109 to 145bhp+, with peak torque climbing from 187 to 236lb ft. The motor will continue to spin the front wheels via a single speed transmission.

Battery pack capacity climbs from 30kWh to 40kWh, although that critical yardstick – range – is still secret. Today’s UK Leaf has a 155-mile range: will the Mk2 be able to pass 200 miles on a single charge, a feat managed by the Chevrolet Bolt with its 60kWh pack, and claimed by Tesla’s 50kWh Model 3? The other details revealed in the Autobytel leak were US list prices, starting at $29,990.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/nissan/new-2018-nissan-leaf-revealed-pictures-specs-and-details/

I suspect mixing up km and miles here

I suspect the 40 kWh will be underwhelming with range just tipping pastvthd current Ioniq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I suspect mixing up km and miles here

I suspect the 40 kWh will be underwhelming with range just tipping pastvthd current Ioniq

Id say Leaf 2 with 40kWh battery will add 100km onto the current 30kw range ie 290km in Summer and 260km in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Great if true

Rumours have it at 40kwh useable too, what's that like 44kwh in old terms?

If it's close to 300km, does 0-60 in 7 secs and decent pass speed ( under 5 secs ) from 80kmh - 120kmh I will buy it for 25k

Be no compromises then for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You're very optimistic, lads.

If a current 30kWh Leaf has a realistic (summer) range of 160km, add a third to that (going from 30 to 40kWh) and you're up at just over 210km

Add better efficiency and aerodynamic and you'll get maybe another 40km? I'd say that's about it. Although we can of course argue to death of what the realistic range is once the car is out. Certainly not the EPA range as almost no EV gets the EPA range in Ireland if there is a good bit of 120km/h motorway driving involved. And range is only imported for long range driving (= motorway driving)

unkel wrote: »
    You're very optimistic, lads.

If a current 30kWh Leaf has a realistic (summer) range of 160km, add a third to that (going from 30 to 40kWh) and you're up at just over 210km

Add better efficiency and aerodynamic and you'll get maybe another 40km? I'd say that's about it. Although we can of course argue to death of what the realistic range is once the car is out. Certainly not the EPA range as almost no EV gets the EPA range in Ireland if there is a good bit of 120km/h motorway driving involved. And range is only imported for long range driving (= motorway driving)

Is the Leaf not 27/28kwh useable?

I'd say the efficiency they have made over 9 years has a 30kwh Leaf doing nearly 200km in new gen form, no reason not to expect nearly 300km from a 33% larger battery?

Yes you'd probably reach 300 Km driving non motorway speeds, dry roads with improved aerodynamics but they'll most likely optimise the drive train for higher speeds, the current leaf is optimised for about 80 kph.

Some Zoe 40 kwh owners are able to get around 280 Kms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes you'd probably reach 300 Km driving non motorway speeds, dry roads with improved aerodynamics but they'll most likely optimise the drive train for higher speeds, the current leaf is optimised for about 80 kph.

Some Zoe 40 kwh owners are able to get around 280 Kms.

I've seen one chap on youtube get to within a couple of km of the 300 mark, driving normally. And that was a wet day.

It seems to be more than double to original zoe.

Zoe 41kWh has a big range. But only if you drive it slowly (and not in winter). I posted a hypermiling of 428km or something like that last week

I can manage the EPA test easily in the Leaf and also matched the 15.3 or pretty damn close the EPA test for the Ioniq so that should be a good indicator. Yes people will get a good bit more and less depending on a lot of things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Saw on Facebook also that Nissan are now selling the 24kwh Leaf SVE/Tekna for €20k.

(edited, 24kWh not 30)

Saw on Facebook also that Nissan are now selling the 30kwh Leaf SVE/Tekna for €20k.

If the new model starts at 25k, I wouldn't even consider that good a deal, it will be so dated I'd say.

Would need to be 17k or less to tempt me, some car for that money.

Saw on Facebook also that Nissan are now selling the 30kwh Leaf SVE/Tekna for €20k.

It's an offer for 24 kWh 3.3 kW, not 30 kWh 6.6 kW.

It's an offer for 24 kWh 3.3 kW, not 30 kWh 6.6 kW.

Correct, my mistake.

That's not a good deal at all. I got one priced for €20k on the road incl metallic paint and 6.6kW charger almost a year ago (not SVE). Should be more like €16-€17k now depending of course if they still have stock to get rid off. €20k for a 30kWh on the road and agreed with thierry14 that if indeed the new model starts at €25k on the road*, that wouldn't be a good deal at all.

*that still remains to be seen. I have my doubts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

unkel wrote: »
    That's not a good deal at all. I got one priced for €20k on the road incl metallic paint and 6.6kW charger almost a year ago (not SVE). Should be more like €16-€17k now depending of course if they still have stock to get rid off. €20k for a 30kWh on the road and agreed with thierry14 that if indeed the new model starts at €25k on the road*, that wouldn't be a good deal at all.

*that still remains to be seen. I have my doubts...

How come?

Advertisement