Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It goes from bad to worse for the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

inajock wrote: »
    I for one have zero respect or conference in anyone who is a member of An Garda Siochana.Why would I there corrupt.

Maybe you've had a conference or 2 with the Gardai already?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Maybe you've had a conference or 2 with the Gardai already?
    correct but a judge differed with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

No, but a little bit of honesty from her wouldn't go astray. She didn't get to the top of the organisation while oblivious to all the corruption, secrecy and wrongdoings. I for one have zero respect for or confidence in her. She's part of the problem and at this stage it's quite clear that she certainly isn't willing to be a part of the solution.

She doesn't seem to really think there is a problem at all when you get past her press office waffle. Hollow words thrown into the same echo chamber of commissioners past.

Remember her position and what this story is about, this makes her "invincibility" to any politicians criticism very suspect. Purposely tapping innocent people tends to suggest or lead to blackmail, and it's not like senior officials in government institutions have never tapped or undermined other senior officials in seperate government institutions before. This is high politics and according to her job description she must play her politician role when the time suits.

The fact that she has been at the very top reaches of the Garda for over a decade does not help her case of being a "force for positive change" as so many others (mostly politicians) claim. She's been an assistant commissioner since 2007, they tend to not be in the dark on things like this. Especially given the scale of it.

No confidence in her should be the default position considering how she has handled things so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

No, but a little bit of honesty from her wouldn't go astray. She didn't get to the top of the organisation while oblivious to all the corruption, secrecy and wrongdoings. I for one have zero respect for or confidence in her. She's part of the problem and at this stage it's quite clear that she certainly isn't willing to be a part of the solution.

A major part of the solution would have to be transferring many of the commissioner's functions to a transparent and openly accountable Garda Commission.

You're looking at an organisation that is probably still using management practices that date back to the old RIC. In many respects the problems internally (other than the community relations / sectarianism aspect) may be very similar as the two forces had a very similar origin.

Actually, they also come from a far more militaristic background than most British or American police forces, so there may well be serious issues with internal flows of information, hierarchies and so on.

The RUC reforms into the PSNI are probably a very good starting point.

The worst possible outcome is just a change of personalities without any reform. It looks impressive and it probably fulfils a political point scoring exercise but it will achieve nothing other than everyone going : phew, that solves that problem! Job done - can kicked down the road.

Police forces are also authoritarian by nature. That's an element of what they do , so you'll have huge resistance to change. That's not unique to the Gardai it's just the nature of police and military style structures. So whatever happens it needs to be about bringing Gardai on board and encouraging leadership and transparency within, not just imposing a solution and assuming it will work.

To do this right, you're looking at needing to setup a Garda Reform Commission that runs independently for several governments. This is too important t to just be a political football.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Could convictions based on the phone taps without warrants be overturned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

There was pandamonia over phone calls being recorded at stations two years ago, the commissioner was hounded out by Kenny and an enquiry since found no wrong doing but the media got to sell their papers at the time and the public sucked it up. Wake up,
    alot of this crap is hyped up by media and politicians for their own aims. The force has been under resourced for years and that is at the root of the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

99%. of the Gardai get the other 1% a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

There was pandamonia over phone calls being recorded at stations two years ago, the commissioner was hounded out by Kenny and an enquiry since found no wrong doing but the media got to sell their papers at the time and the public sucked it up. Wake up,
    alot of this crap is hyped up by media and politicians for their own aims. The force has been under resourced for years and that is at the root of the problem!

How is being under resourced part of the problem in terms of the type of corruption and misconduct that has emerged. Do you mean a lack of resources to discipline or prosecute members of the gardai if found in breech of regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

longshanks wrote: »
    And still no one will resign or be fired.
    Necks like a jockeys bollox.

I believe material scientists are actually studying O Sullivan's brass neck to see what makes it so hard.

How is being under resourced part of the problem in terms of the type of corruption and misconduct that has emerged. Do you mean a lack of resources to discipline or prosecute members of the gardai if found in breech of regulations

Lack of resources for training, no continuous professional development, lack of IT, lack of equipment in general, it demorilises a force, senior management rely on politicians to promote them ( Superintendents up were appointed by cabinet), they don't rock the boat and accept the resources they are given. It's members on the ground who's good will have kept the force going. But it's normal for the keyboard warriors to make the 1% into the 99% and take out the big wide paint brush! Most people on boards wouldn't last a shift in the job!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Lack of resources for training, no continuous professional development, lack of IT, lack of equipment in general, it demorilises a force, senior management rely on politicians to promote them ( Superintendents up were appointed by cabinet), they don't rock the boat and accept the resources they are given. It's members on the ground who's good will have kept the force going. But it's normal for the keyboard warriors to make the 1% into the 99% and take out the big wide paint brush! Most people on boards wouldn't last a shift in the job!

What resources does a guard need to inform him/her something is illegal? Is a comprehension of the law not a requirement to be a guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

jelutong wrote: »
    99%. of the Gardai get the other 1% a bad name.

The refusal of the 99% to do anything about the 1% gives the organisation a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

There's a serial killer in Dublin.

I wonder who would take that story up?

Members of the force are recruited from the general public and with that comes many failings, there are good and bad in every organisation, for the reasons stated above there is poor management! The vast majority are excellent people but there are disgruntled anonymous people like to make it seem otherwise, Joe public know the reality on the ground.

Members of the force are recruited from the general public and with that comes many failings, there are good and bad in every organisation, for the reasons stated above there is poor management! The vast majority are excellent people but disgruntled anonymous people like to make it seem otherwise, Joe public no the reality on the ground.

They spend 32 weeks in Templemore, you would assume the law is taught during that time. As an aside other the general public where else would you recruit from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Barbie! wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-gardai-tapped-the-phones-of-innocent-people-35709010.html

"Gardaí have tapped the phones of innocent members of the public, Independent.ie can reveal today.
    Officers routinely bypassed strict protocols to listen in on private conversations for almost a decade, our investigation has found.

However, the State signed off on a series of secret pay-offs for gardaí and officials in a bid to keep a lid on yet another major scandal."

The gardai are lurching from one crisis to the next. I normally don't comment on these but this could affect me.

Who's money was used to pay off the whistleblowers?
    It goes from bad to worse for the Gardai . In my opinion it is a like a Dictatorship ruled by dictator like Robert Mugabe Zimbabwe comes to mind. :mad: but we have Frances Fitzgerald, Noirin O Sullivan we are ruled in Ireland by a Dictatorship.

It goes from bad to worse for the Gardai . In my opinion it is a like a Dictatorship ruled by dictator like Robert Mugabe Zimbabwe comes to mind. but we have Frances Fitzgerald, Noirin O Sullivan we are ruled in Ireland by a Dictatorship.

Your posts hurt baby Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Someone will be along any minute to say it's only a few bad apples, they never rooted out the few bad ones, went all out after the odd good one who stud up for what was right and now the whole barrel is just a putrid mess of corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Templemore and Phoenix Park

nuclear-atom-bomg-explosion-animated-gif-6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

myshirt wrote: »
    If you are under 35 here, it's really time to get out on the streets and demand reform. You really have been unbelievably screwed over and f#cked by these public servants. I mean seriously screwed. Please, please wake up and realise how this affects your immediate life and your future.

Plain and simple, you can't afford to pay their exorbitant pensions, pay their loans for excesses during the boom (how many guards own second homes), pay these wages that are just nuts, all while this type of sh't is going on. You have your own rent to pay, house to buy, family to build, life to live, or whatever you want to do with yourself. You certainly don't deserve this, because it is the biggest F#CK YOU that has ever been going on when it comes to youth and those under 35. F#ck you. Pay our pensions. Pay our wages. Pay our expenses. Pay our 35 days off. Pay your rent (to us and our generation). Pay the billions of debt we benefited directly from but you didn't. And shut your f#cking mouth. We are going to do whatever we want. We are going to stitch up innocent whistleblowers. Fake driving offences. Ignore rape or sexual assaults if it's someone we know. Beat you down on water charges. Let violence and drugs run riot in your community. Suicides, murders, we don't give a f#ck unless it affects someone important. The message is loud and clear youth of Ireland. Fuuuuuuck you.

If you are under 35 it's really time to don the war paint and storm the Bastille.

YEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Only thing is I taped Graham Norton last night and was planning on watching it soon. Can we do the storming after say........5?

• Advertisement

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Your posts hurt baby Jesus.
    Can I ask you question are you a Garda? our working for the Government? nhunter?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭buzzwell

Members of the force are recruited from the general public and with that comes many failings, there are good and bad in every organisation, for the reasons stated above there is poor management! The vast majority are excellent people but there are disgruntled anonymous people like to make it seem otherwise, Joe public know the reality on the ground.

The biggest failing is that they're not recruited from the general public.

Nepotism runs rife leading to a flawed gene pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

RustyNut wrote: »
    Someone will be along any minute to say it's only a few bad apples, they never rooted out the few bad ones, went all out after the odd good one who stud up for what was right and now the whole barrel is just a putrid mess of corruption.

I worked for one of the public sector departments and it was a hilariously corrupt mess.

I also grew up in a poor area wherby the guards did jack fucking shit and were fairly thuggish/incompetent themselves and to the other people I know. It's a certain crap kind of person that rises to the top; depressing to see in all honesty.

The police in this country are not the shiny happy people that RTE like to portray them as.

Can I ask you question are you a Garda? our working for the Government? nhunter?

That's 3 questions. No I'm not a guard, I assume your second question is do I work for the government no I don't, not sure anyone works for the government. They work for the state is my understanding. Your last question, no idea what you are asking tbh.

ED E wrote: »
    Templemore and Phoenix Park

nuclear-atom-bomg-explosion-animated-gif-6.gif
    Just talking to my Grandmother who is 87 years old about the Gardai and she said to me there like the Organization of the Nazi party in 1933 Hitlers Youth that is my Grandmother opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Just talking to my Grandmother who is 87 years old about the Gardai and she said to there like the Organization of the Nazi party in 1933 Hitlers Youth that is my Grandmother opinion.

You didn't lick it off the stones so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

myshirt wrote: »
    Look, we are all annoyed. But it is those under 35ish that have felt the full force of being rightly kicked in the stones by these baby boomers and early gen'x'ers that are across the public service.

These issues affect us all from 0-100, but right at the core of it is economics, greed, corruption, and a disdain amongst a certain generation of public servants.

Maybe & it's the young crowd who are more interested in facebook than to actually protest. Even if you did then plenty would label you as left wing trouble makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Shock and horror , I believe there is more to come.

Some job of turning it around and becoming a credible police force the public has confidence in.

robbiezero wrote: »
    You didn't lick it off the stones so.
    My Grandmother is alive .:mad:

• Advertisement

My Grandmother is alive .

Certainly hope so if you're talking to her and she's answering.

Advertisement