Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It goes from bad to worse for the Gardai

Options
  • 13-05-2017 4:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-gardai-tapped-the-phones-of-innocent-people-35709010.html

"Gardaí have tapped the phones of innocent members of the public, Independent.ie can reveal today.
    Officers routinely bypassed strict protocols to listen in on private conversations for almost a decade, our investigation has found.

However, the State signed off on a series of secret pay-offs for gardaí and officials in a bid to keep a lid on yet another major scandal."

The gardai are lurching from one crisis to the next. I normally don't comment on these but this could affect me.

Who's money was used to pay off the whistleblowers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

They are gone as bad as the Catholic Church of the 90s lurching from crisis to crisis

It's like a bad joke at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sure they weren't tapped how would we know they are innocent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sure if you don't do anything wrong you've nothing to worry about... /roll eyes/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

And still no one will resign or be fired.
    Necks like a jockeys bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

They are gone as bad as the Catholic Church of the 90s lurching from crisis to crisis

It's like a bad joke at this stage

Any organisation that doesn't have outside monitoring is always open to corruption....but I don't believe anyone is accusing the Gardai of systemic child abuse, torturing of young mothers and kissing their rings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

longshanks wrote: »

This is the most important thing.

Let's all keep calm and ensure nobody is held accountable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

longshanks wrote: »

I've never seen a jockeys bollox.could you describe it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I've never seen a jockeys bollox.could you describe it?

It's like the Garda commissioner's neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Would we have to pay them more to operate within the law?

I dunno, there are plenty of great rank and file Gardai out there but the force does seem to be ridden with people who just do it their way. Outside the law. Concocted stats. Misuse of public funds (aka Templemore) etc

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Any organisation that doesn't have outside monitoring is always open to corruption....but I don't believe anyone is accusing the Gardai of systemic child abuse, torturing of young mothers and kissing their rings

I think the poster was referring to frequency of scandals rather than directly comparing the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If you are under 35 here, it's really time to get out on the streets and demand reform. You really have been unbelievably screwed over and f#cked by these public servants. I mean seriously screwed. Please, please wake up and realise how this affects your immediate life and your future.

Plain and simple, you can't afford to pay their exorbitant pensions, pay their loans for excesses during the boom (how many guards own second homes), pay these wages that are just nuts, all while this type of sh't is going on. You have your own rent to pay, house to buy, family to build, life to live, or whatever you want to do with yourself. You certainly don't deserve this, because it is the biggest F#CK YOU that has ever been going on when it comes to youth and those under 35. F#ck you. Pay our pensions. Pay our wages. Pay our expenses. Pay our 35 days off. Pay your rent (to us and our generation). Pay the billions of debt we benefited directly from but you didn't. And shut your f#cking mouth. We are going to do whatever we want. We are going to stitch up innocent whistleblowers. Fake driving offences. Ignore rape or sexual assaults if it's someone we know. Beat you down on water charges. Let violence and drugs run riot in your community. Suicides, murders, we don't give a f#ck unless it affects someone important. The message is loud and clear youth of Ireland. Fuuuuuuck you.

If you are under 35 it's really time to don the war paint and storm the Bastille.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think the poster was referring to frequency of scandals rather than directly comparing the issues.

I'm sure there has to be some good gardai though. The whole garda force in Ireland doesn't exist solely to pretend to be good just so they can get to be alone with your children like the Roman Catholic church does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Why must you be under 35 to be annoyed?

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm sure there has to be some good gardai though. The whole garda force in Ireland doesn't exist solely to pretend to be good just so they can get to be alone with your children like the Roman Catholic church does.

The entire Catholic church doesn't want to be alone with your kids. And many aren't just "pretending" to be good; they are

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jaysus, lucky I am older than 35!

On the other hand, the Church is not employed by the State to preserve law and order, so while corruption and abuse in the Church or, say, Swim Ireland, may be grotesque and depraved, it may not have the same invidious impact on democracy and civil liberties as wrongdoing within the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Sure they weren't tapped how would we know they are innocent?

Exactly, nothing to hide, nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The entire Catholic church doesn't want to be alone with your kids. And many aren't pretending to be good but are

There are only tWo types of people in the RCC, those who commit abuse and those who have covered it up. Not a single good person has ever been catholic

There are only tWo types of people in the RCC, those who commit abuse and those who have covered it up. Not a single good person has ever been catholic

I'm a good person. I've never covered up abuse.
    I know many people who still believe / are mote closely involved with the church who I would vouch are the same.
    There are many people who were not involved. The Catholic church has 1.28 billion members ; to say all are abusers or covered it up is pure fallacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What utter drivel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

How in less than two pages was the RCC invoked?

I'm no fan but ffs lads.

Why must you be under 35 to be annoyed?

Look, we are all annoyed. But it is those under 35ish that have felt the full force of being rightly kicked in the stones by these baby boomers and early gen'x'ers that are across the public service.

These issues affect us all from 0-100, but right at the core of it is economics, greed, corruption, and a disdain amongst a certain generation of public servants.

So Nobel Peace Prize winners like Lech Walesa and John Hume and Betty Williams and Mairead Corrigan were not good people?

osarusan wrote: »
    Jaysus, lucky I am older than 35!

You are. Do you know why? I hope to f#ck you do, because many don't. They go around thinking it is self efficacy and their own hard work that got them where they are.

So I hope you're not pulling out leg here. You are very lucky, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

On the other hand, the Church is not employed by the State to preserve law and order, so while corruption and abuse in the Church or, say, Swim Ireland, may be grotesque and depraved, it may not have the same invidious impact on democracy and civil liberties as wrongdoing within the Gardai.

This. I don't have to go near a church or interact with a member of the clergy.

But I can be stopped at a garda checkpoint and if the garda doesn't like the way I'm answering them, they can (at the lower end of the scale) ruin my day or (at the extreme) make my life a misery.

The current case of the guard who recorded the feed of the arrest of Dara Quigley is, for me, the last straw. It's not a case of a few bad apples anymore. There is a culture of unprofessionalism in the force.

Questions have to be asked 1) of their selection process if it's not weeding out these idiots and 2) of the training in Templemore if it's not weeding them out there or changing attitudes and training PROFESSIONAL guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

myshirt wrote: »
    You are. Do you know why? I hope to f#ck you do, because many don't. They go around thinking it is self efficacy and their own hard work that got them where they are.

Where am I and what is it that has got me there?

Look, we are all annoyed. But it is those under 35ish that have felt the full force of being rightly kicked in the stones by these baby boomers and early gen'x'ers that are across the public service.

These issues affect us all from 0-100, but right at the core of it is economics, greed, corruption, and a disdain amongst a certain generation of public servants.

Another case of "the generation before us mucked it up" , much like the "what are the youth of today coming to" argument for old people like me ;-)
    I don't buy it, sorry.
    I agree that these scandals are awful and reform is badly needed for a damaged force. Morale must be at an all time low too.
    But How have the Garda scandals affected the recession? If it's economics and greed you're worried about, I'd be far more concerned with private businesses than public services; the former had something to gain.

If you are under 35 here, it's really time to get out on the streets and demand reform. You really have been unbelievably screwed over and f#cked by these public servants. I mean seriously screwed. Please, please wake up and realise how this affects your immediate life and your future.

Plain and simple, you can't afford to pay their exorbitant pensions, pay their loans for excesses during the boom (how many guards own second homes), pay these wages that are just nuts, all while this type of sh't is going on. You have your own rent to pay, house to buy, family to build, life to live, or whatever you want to do with yourself. You certainly don't deserve this, because it is the biggest F#CK YOU that has ever been going on when it comes to youth and those under 35. F#ck you. Pay our pensions. Pay our wages. Pay our expenses. Pay our 35 days off. Pay your rent (to us and our generation). Pay the billions of debt we benefited directly from but you didn't. And shut your f#cking mouth. We are going to do whatever we want. We are going to stitch up innocent whistleblowers. Fake driving offences. Ignore rape or sexual assaults if it's someone we know. Beat you down on water charges. Let violence and drugs run riot in your community. Suicides, murders, we don't give a f#ck unless it affects someone important. The message is loud and clear youth of Ireland. Fuuuuuuck you.

If you are under 35 it's really time to don the war paint and storm the Bastille.

Guards pay tax too you know, a lot of it.
    Why under 35s?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The Catholic church has 1.28 billion members ; to say all are abusers or covered it up is pure fallacy.

Let's say if 20% were.
    That would be only 256 million!:eek:

• Advertisement

So I hope you're not pulling out leg here. You are very lucky, yes.

What is this? Over 35s have had something handed to them? They don't work hard? I don't understand your crazy rants

Advertisement