Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It goes from bad to worse for the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Northerngal

koumi wrote: »
    No, but you should be grateful for that.

Why should I be grateful? ;)

IMO I hope they keep the name!

Will/could a short/medium/long-term international full transparency audit help us to trust AGS more?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Yet it has only come to light because a guard is pursuing a pcase through the courts. Are you suggesting no legacy issues should be dealt with even if those with questions to answer are still serving. I could understand your concern for NO'S if she only joined AGS in 2015.
    Do you not think the fact that this happened over 15 years ago is not an important part of this story. It makes me very sceptical about the rest of the story when the journalist is so reluctant to tell us this. And why is this "concerned" garda only coming forward now 15 years later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Do you not think the fact that this happened over 15 years ago is not an important part of this story. It makes me very sceptical about the rest of the story when the journalist is so reluctant to tell us this. And why is this "concerned" garda only coming forward now 15 years later

When it happened is irrelevant, I answered the rest of your comment already. You want a row no problem , but I'm not going to indulge you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Why should I be grateful? ;)

IMO I hope they keep the name!

Will/could a short/medium/long-term international full transparency audit help us to trust AGS more?
    I was pondering a new name the other day, PSI? IPS? I'm sure there's someone more creative than me but it's probably time they started working on it.

When it happened is irrelevant, I answered the rest of your comment already. You want a row no problem , but I'm not going to indulge you.
    A row. Is that what you call it when I question the fact that this happened 15 years ago. Ok you feel its irrelevant, I think it's very relevant especially after reading some of the comments in this thread. But that's just disagreeing with each other. If you are trying to avoid a row you should take a look at some of your own comments first and maybe tone down a bit on the smart arse comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

And why is this "concerned" garda only coming forward now 15 years later

Covered up till now mabey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Ok let me break it down for you Greenoverred. It started 15 years ago. People were brought off. Recently someone else found out about this and brought it to the public's attention. That's how we are only now hearing about something that happened 15 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

A row. Is that what you call it when I question the fact that this happened 15 years ago. Ok you feel its irrelevant, I think it's very relevant especially after reading some of the comments in this thread. But that's just disagreeing with each other. If you are trying to avoid a row you should take a look at some of your own comments first and maybe tone down a bit on the smart arse comments

What comments are you talking about? Care to elaborate.
    Also I find it strange that at first you claimed you would not open a link to the Indo what changed. As I said you same intent on having a row I'm not going to take the bait.

Barbie! wrote: »
    Ok let me break it down for you Greenoverred. It started 15 years ago. People were brought off. Recently someone else found out about this and brought it to the public's attention. That's how we are only now hearing about something that happened 15 years ago.

Is this in the article or have you made it up. Someone else seems to be claiming it ended 15 years ago. What is it. Why so many inconsistencies.
    I believe the indo have more tomorrow and maybe it will have a bit more substance but I'm afraid to say after what I've read in this thread so far it seems no one actually knows what this story is about

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ALR1601129

robbiezero wrote: »
    GarIT wrote: »
    There are only tWo types of people in the RCC, those who commit abuse and those who have covered it up. Not a single good person has ever been catholic

Not a fan of the Catholic Church by any means, but if you had said that on this site about Muslims or Islam you would think it was your birthday with all the cards you would be getting.
    There is NO positive discrimination on boards.ie. None. NEVER!

• Advertisement

What comments are you talking about? Care to elaborate.
    Also I find it strange that at first you claimed you would not open a link to the Indo what changed. As I said you same intent on having a row I'm not going to take the bait.
    Right. Im not looking for a row with you. Dont be so sensitive when someone disagrees with you. I find the fact thst this happened over 15 years ago very relevant, you don't. I find it strange that the concerned garda has only come forward 15 years later, you don't. People disagree sometimes, that's life get over it. But if it makes you feel better I'll jump on the next garda bashing bandwagon exposed by the indo. Should be one along day soon. Just hope it's a bit more up to date and contains a bit more information then this crook of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'm afraid to say after what I've read in this thread so far it seems no one actually knows what this story is about

The government paying off people so as to stop them going to the press and to stop this becoming public knowledge

Why don't they realease the names of all the innocent people they've wrongly tapped??

Right. Im not looking for a row with you. Dont be so sensitive when someone disagrees with you. I find the fact thst this happened over 15 years ago very relevant, you don't. I find it strange that the concerned garda has only come forward 15 years later, you don't. .

Would you prefer if it never came out??

Surly the motives or otherwise of the gaurdd for telling are irelevant to the actual story of bugging of innocent the people's phones??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

No wonder the whistle blowers were demeaned, bullied, transferred between divisions, denied promotions, families intimidated and bad mouthed among the garda organisation and across media outlets

And all it seems by garda management!

The whistle blowers know how much dirty laundry there is.

The government paying off people so as to stop them going to the press and to stop this becoming public knowledge

Why don't they realease the names of all the innocent people they've wrongly tapped??
    I agree 100%. Get it out there. Who were they bugging. How about a few facts in this story. Surely this brave source the journalist has could reveal a but more.

Would you prefer if it never came out??

Surly the motives or otherwise of the gaurdd for telling are irelevant to the actual story of bugging of innocent the people's phones??
    But what has he actually told us. Id say brilliant if he came out and told us who was bugged and what exactly happened but as usual with the independent the story is full of innuendo and opinion but very little on facts or proof

I agree 100%. Get it out there. Who were they bugging. How about a few facts in this story. Surely this brave source the journalist has could reveal a but more.

Why don't the gaurds realease this info???
    They dislike it after all???

Why is it always left to journalists/whistle blower to run the gauntlet and face the gaurds ruining their reputation....instead of the gaurds facing up to their mistakes?

Too long have they been a law onto themselves

But what has he actually told us. Id say brilliant if he came out and told us who was bugged and what exactly happened but as usual with the independent the story is full of innuendo and opinion but very little on facts or proof

Simply put the gaurds could kill this story by realeasingbthe info..but won't??

Are you implying noone was ever bugged wrongly by the gaurds?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

I'd be very interested in seeing how you can back up all these claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Allinall wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in seeing how you can back up all these claims.

The claim wpuldn't be unusual for the organisation.

• Advertisement

Simply put the gaurds could kill this story by realeasingbthe info..but won't??

Are you implying noone was ever bugged wrongly by the gaurds?
    So A journalist trying to make a name for himself throws out a few vague allegations that people have been bugged illegally by the guards over 15 years ago and you reckon they should be releasing some of the most sensitive information they hold just to kill the story.Did the whistleblower not carry out some of the bugging so why can't he tell us who he bugged illegally 15 years ago. Im sorry mate but this story has an even worse smell of bull**** then the gsoc bugging story

So A journalist trying to make a name for himself throws out a few vague allegations that people have been bugged illegally by the guards over 15 years ago and you reckon they should be releasing some of the most sensitive information they hold just to kill the story.Did the whistleblower not carry out some of the bugging so why can't he tell us who he bugged illegally 15 years ago. Im sorry mate but this story has an even worse smell of bull**** then the gsoc bugging story

Surly innocent people being bugged isn't sensitive information? ?

Look it....you know as well as I do,Whatll happen here

The gaurds will close ranks,do their best to destroy the reputation of those wholl question them/expose such blaggarding and ride out the storm and get off Scott free as usual....

.they are doing it as long as I can remember,it's old tricks to them at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

A journalist does what journalists have been doing since the dawn of reporting. Teases out a bit of info with the promise of more to follow ie buy my newspaper to find out more as I drip feed you info for the next month.

Not something I agree with but any newspaper would do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Barbie! wrote:
    A journalist does what journalists have been doing since the dawn of reporting. Teases out a bit of info with the promise of more to follow ie buy my newspaper to find out more as I drip feed you info for the next month.

Barbie! wrote:

It works even better for the tabloids!

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The claim wpuldn't be unusual for the organisation.

The unsubstantiated claim?

The unsubstantiated claim?

No, abuse of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

This is from 2015
    http://www.thejournal.ie/state-surveillance-ireland-gardai-wiretapping-email-monitoring-gardai-2099537-May2015/
    Under the 1993 Act:
    Garda? or the Defence Forces can tap phones and listen to phone calls, open and read letters before they arrive to their recipient, and (potentially) read emails
    After the Garda Commissioner or Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces applies for permission from the Justice Minister
    For up to three months (extendable)
    If they can show the surveillance will yield evidence they couldn’t otherwise get
    As part of an investigation into serious crime, to prevent a serious crime, or to protect the security of the State
    Under the 2009 Act:
    Garda?, the Defence Forces and Revenue can secretly record you with audio and video devices
    For three months
    They can break into your home to implant a device, and again to remove it
    If they can, they have to get permission from a District Court judge, but if it’s an emergency, a “Superior Officer” in each agency decides, and they get 72 hours to engage in the surveillance
    Garda?, the Defence Forces and Revenue can secretly put a tracking device on your vehicle, and follow your movements
    For four months
    Without permission from a District Court judge, but with the approval of a “Superior Officer” within each agency.
    Interestingly, this year’s Garda S?och?na (Amendment) Act also gives the Garda S?och?na Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) powers of surveillance over Garda members it is investigating.
    So Garda? themselves can now be secretly bugged, wiretapped, recorded and have their internet use monitored, under the 1993 and 2009 Acts.

and this from 2016
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/extension-of-surveillance-law-doomed-to-failure-1.2712656
    It also said existing systems whereby certain surveillance may be approved internally by An Garda S?och?na or other bodies were open to abuse.
    It noted one case where a Garda sergeant had used the data retention system to spy on her former partner.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    No, abuse of power.

But you agree the claim was unsubstantiated?

But you agree the claim was unsubstantiated?

People who ignored the corruption in the guards have been on the wrong side of history for a while now. I have no reason to doubt the claim. Even apart from the bugging we know there has been systematic scandals within the organisation. Agree?

• Advertisement

Is it not a bit strange that this article suggests that numerous people have been paid if to keep this story quite. Like who actually paid them. Do the guards have some kind of a hush fund for keeping people silent. Because if they do they need to be given a serious budget increase to get over the next few months.

Advertisement