Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It goes from bad to worse for the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,834 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Kivaro wrote: »
    Thanks Widdershins; that is what I was getting at.
    It needs to be consistent. At the moment, members of the public don't know what they are getting upon encountering a member of the Gardai e.g. professional versus confrontational. If the public believed that courtesy and professionalism was the standard interaction for non-crime related activities then the interaction would be a more positive experience (for both).

The inconsistency is especially serious as individual Garda discretion is a key part of policing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

jelutong wrote: »
    99%. of the Gardai get the other 1% a bad name.
    1 per cent of 12000 Gardai = 120 bad Gardai did 120 bad Gardai do the 1 million fake breath test ? What about the 15000 drivers wrongly convicted?:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

There is a culture of unprofessionalism, lack of ethics and lack of respect for the public in the guards. This is evident by well the evidence over the last few years. Not all guards are guilty of this but let's be fair, the orginisation is extremely bad at getting rid of those that are.

I've a theory as too why, but it's simplistic and I'm doubtlessly leaving out some variables. I think one of the root causes is the fact that there is a big divide between the guards and the public which begins at Templemore. There seems to be culture encouraged where the guards distance themselves from the ordinary public. A them VS us situation in any environment leads to mistrust on both sides.

I live in the UK for the moment and sometimes in the US. There's certainly a difference between the cops in the UK and cops in Ireland.

I was cycling through a pedestrian path in England (unknown to me) and I was stopped by a cop. He was very polite and told me not to do that again. I apologised and went on my way.

I was never in trouble with the guards in Ireland but I have one bad experience with what I'd describe as a thug in uniform. I decided to take a trip out to Bray with a friend to climb Bray head. We were walking along and my friend says hello to a male and female guard. The man, doubtlessly showing off to the girl says "don't be cheeky". I say he was only saying hello and the chimp in uniform says "don't be cheeky or I'll arrest you and you'll be in a cell for the night". We walked off and I made a complaint to the ombudsman. I got a receipt back a week or two later but heard no more.

There needs to be a complete overhaul in attitude of the guards because my only experience of them is reading about the scandals and running into one who threatened to incarcerate me for no reason. I only remembered that since I moved out of the country and all this stuff came up. Friends of mine from all walks of life and background have the same view. There are good ones but the organisation doesn't foster respect for the public.

Discodog wrote: »
    I am old enough & was living in England. I remember bent coppers & bent senior officers. Any complaint against a UK officer is now taken very seriously. The UK Police hate & fear the anti corruption units for very good reason

See my post above! The met in the 70s had a terrible reputation. They completely overhauled the force and now they're a professional force by an large. How often do you read about police corruption in the UK compared to Ireland, a country several orders of magnitude smaller but with far more corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

bubblypop wrote:
    Yea? Which one? There are Gardai arrested & investigated & charged regularly.

How many was there today?

• Advertisement

Tell that to the Birmingham 6

The poster also mentioned a clear out. The B6 was the 70's. Does the name McBearty ( hope I spelt it right) ring any bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Discodog wrote: »
    The number one item of Garda training should be that, if you see anything that you believe could be corrupt, then report it. If not you will be considered guilty. Reporting corruption is a duty & will be seen as a positive concerning future salary, promotion etc.

By all accounts it would appear that the opposite in fact the case. If you report corruption the entire force is turned against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not buying it. 1 million fake breath tests tells us otherwise. Works out at approx. 65 fake tests per Garda employed. As the Commissioner herself said it means that the Gardai are incompetent or corrupt.

And how many of those employed actually ever leave a station?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Reading Steddyeddy's post reminded me... I was leaving a match in Croker (a soccer match while Lansdowne was being redeveloped) and a young lad went up to a guard to ask directions back to the city centre.

Can't remember her exact words to him but it was along the lines that she wasn't there to give directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

shar01 wrote: »
    Reading Steddyeddy's post reminded me... I was leaving a match in Croker (a soccer match while Lansdowne was being redeveloped) and a young lad went up to a guard to ask directions back to the city centre.

Can't remember her exact words to him but it was along the lines that she wasn't there to give directions.

Contrast that with London where we were lost looking for a place and 2 policemen took out their phones, looked up the postcode and took my phone opened google maps and punched it in for us. It was only about a 5 minute walk. They never made us feel stupid for being lost. I felt like giving them a tip.

• Advertisement

nhunter100 wrote: »
    The poster also mentioned a clear out. The B6 was the 70's. Does the name McBearty ( hope I spelt it right) ring any bells?

Would this be what you are referring to.

?
    11m in payouts for 55 victims of Donegal garda corruption

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

The Met are a different level of professionalism to our clowns from my experience

RustyNut wrote:
    ?

Yep thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

With all the cyber security stuff knocking around I ain't gonna chance any link from the Indo.

Could someone please give me a brief outline of exactly what's in this article

Barbie! wrote: »
    Contrast that with London where we were lost looking for a place and 2 policemen took out their phones, looked up the postcode and took my phone opened google maps and punched it in for us. It was only about a 5 minute walk. They never made us feel stupid for being lost. I felt like giving them a tip.

I had the same experience at this year's Notting Hill carnival. Very very helpful.

With all the cyber security stuff knocking around I ain't gonna chance any link from the Indo.

Guards abusing their authority and citizens rights.

Just read the first post, pretty much covers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Even speaking of much older generations, I know couples in their 80s who lost everything as they had money in AIB and Anglo shares and went from what should have been a comfortable retirement to being on just the state pension.

No sympathy for anyone who invested in those private companies and lost out.

Their profits were gained through the exploitation of ordinary people trying to put a roof over their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They are gone as bad as the Catholic Church of the 90s lurching from crisis to crisis

That's a bit of a stretch. The reason the church got away with stuff for so long is because the average person didn't ask questions.

At least now the average person is doing so. Even though the government and gardai would prefer they didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    The army do it too. These are just people at the end of the day and if you had that power wouldn't you be tempted to have a snoop at your neighbours phone calls? Even if it were just out of pure nosieness?

No. I work in a bank that most of my family and friends bank with. I could look up their accounts in a few seconds if I wanted to but I've never done it. It's called integrity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

368100 wrote: »
    No. I work in a bank that most of my family and friends bank with. I could look up their accounts in a few seconds if I wanted to but I've never done it. It's called integrity.

Someone once told me that, years ago when they were younger, there was a rule that said bank staff couldn't work in their own local area. Was that ever the case?

Just read the first post, pretty much covers it.

But when did it happen and what proof has Denis o Brien offered up to prove it. Don't mean to question a good auld witch hunt but the gsoc bugging enquiry and the garda bugging calls in station accusations have made me very sceptical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Someone once told me that, years ago when they were younger, there was a rule that said bank staff couldn't work in their own local area. Was that ever the case?

It was years ago....now I'm talking in the 70's or early 80s .you'd be posted to a town away from where you'd live and there would be a couple of houses in the town that the bank had where the staff lived. The manager normally lived upstairs over the branch.

Pointless these days as branch staff have access to any account in the country (apart from maybe private banking clients) and banks are moving to promoting work/life balance so if there's a post going close to where you live theres nothing like that to stop you moving to work there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Northerngal

Ok it's been established AGS has had SERIOUS failings, to put it mildly :)

Can AGS as an organisation,name,trusted police force be saved?

But when did it happen and what proof has Denis o Brien offered up to prove it. Don't mean to question a good auld witch hunt but the gsoc bugging enquiry and the garda bugging calls in station accusations have made me very sceptical

Didn't know DOB was a journalist, when did that happen? Witch hunt? If the Indo upsets you I suggest you try other media outlets. RTE also covered it. 90's through to the early 00's

Didn't know DOB was a journalist, when did that happen? Witch hunt? If the Indo upsets you I suggest you try other media outlets. RTE also covered it. 90's through to the early 00's
    Are you seriouus. This happened over 15 years ago. Strange how that's hasn't been mentioned once in this thread. Is it mentioned in the article. Nah **** it Stick it on Noreens head. Now thats more newsworthy. But it's not a witch hunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Ok it's been established AGS has had SERIOUS failings, to put it mildly :)

Can AGS as an organisation,name,trusted police force be saved?
    No, but you should be grateful for that.

Are you seriouus. This happened over 15 years ago. Strange how that's hasn't been mentioned once in this thread. Is it mentioned in the article. Nah **** it Stick it on Noreens head. Now thats more newsworthy. But it's not a witch hunt

Yet it has only come to light because a guard is pursuing a case through the courts. Are you suggesting no legacy issues should be dealt with even if those with questions to answer are still serving. I could understand your concern for NO'S if she only joined AGS in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

So they're making it up as they go along. What are we going to do, call the guards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

1 per cent of 12000 Gardai = 120 bad Gardai did 120 bad Gardai do the 1 million fake breath test ? What about the 15000 drivers wrongly convicted?:confused:.

Arithmetic? You're looking through the wrong end of the telescope...

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement