Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid deli workers, annoying as fucκ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

I like my ham wafer thin - on the point of breaking up. I find the texture of processed ham quite unpleasant, but significanlty better when thin. It happens also to be quite a lot cheaper, but the reason for the preference is taste. The following is my routine every time I'm at a meat counter.

"Hi, will you cut me some of this ham, please?"

How many slices?

"If you could cut it as thinly as possible and then show me the cut, I'll say then"

Almost every time the person either asks, again, how many slices I want and I have to repeat the previous, or they just get on cutting without acknowledging they've heard me, which really grates, especially considering what happens next:

Over comes the ham, and they say, "That's as thin as I can get it," as if already defensive of their effort. I buy ham at least once a week and I get wafer thin ham each time. So I know that it's far in a way not as thin as it can be cut. (It's not that I'm asking they go to the unexplored outer-reaches of the machine's capabilities.)

Some will insist that it cannot be cut thinner, inspite of my claims that it can and was days before. Or they will say, "Well that's as thin as I can cut it" - the implication being "take it or leave it".

I ask that they try again. [Irritated intake of breath.] Over they go. Big turn of the knob. First slice comes out completely broken up. (I can see they feel vindicated!) A small turn of the knob. And out comes a wafer thin slice of ham! Success!

No one has ever apologised or acknowledged their mistake when they've gone back and been able to cut thinner. I'm polite throughout. But I leave feeling angry and disrespected.

I've probably read a mock dialogue on here before. And I guess I probably thought it was exaggerated for effect to the extent that it was unreliable. But, I promise you, this is my routine. If the scenario differs from the one above, I start to wonder if the world is spinning off its axis or if I'm being served by the future Deli King or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

The ham thing can be awkward. It does take a bit of skill to cut many types of ham wafer thin, and it very likely is true that this particular person has trouble cutting them very thinly even though their colleague is a dab hand at it. The cut of meat adds to it - I'm not great with which cut is which, but the ones that have an eye and then a large "rind" around it? Those are far more difficult to cut than the more solid ones, as the eye slice and the rind slice tend to fall apart. Secondly, it's harder to sell the failed slices and a scolding from the deli manager is incoming if there's slices that don't fit the ones in the counter (as people tend to avoid buying slices that don't fit the pattern of what's there).

That aside, one is always going to get the occasional customer that wants the very thin (or more rarely but sometimes) the very thick slices (occupational hazard if they then complain about the price!) and one just has to get over the trepidation and get good at it. That's a specific skill that one only learns on the go, since generally you don't get practice cutting unusual slices, so it seems to hit a lot of people as unnerving when they are confronted with it the first couple of times, especially under the eye of the customer. In my experience anyway!

Samaris wrote: »
    The ham thing can be awkward. It does take a bit of skill to cut many types of ham wafer thin, and it very likely is true that this particular person has trouble cutting them very thinly even though their colleague is a dab hand at it. The cut of meat adds to it - I'm not great with which cut is which, but the ones that have an eye and then a large "rind" around it? Those are far more difficult to cut than the more solid ones, as the eye slice and the rind slice tend to fall apart. Secondly, it's harder to sell the failed slices and a scolding from the deli manager is incoming if there's slices that don't fit the ones in the counter (as people tend to avoid buying slices that don't fit the pattern of what's there).

That aside, one is always going to get the occasional customer that wants the very thin (or more rarely but sometimes) the very thick slices (occupational hazard if they then complain about the price!) and one just has to get over the trepidation and get good at it. That's a specific skill that one only learns on the go, since generally you don't get practice cutting unusual slices, so it seems to hit a lot of people as unnerving when they are confronted with it the first couple of times, especially under the eye of the customer. In my experience anyway!

That's a reasonable post. But I struggle to accept what you say about it being a skill that must be attained through much practice. This is a routine that I've gone through approaching a hundred times now and none of them seems not to have the skill when I ask that they go back. But my main irritation is the way I'm treated. I'll accept anything from someone who's polite and apologetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I like my ham wafer thin - on the point of breaking up. I find the texture of processed ham quite unpleasant, but significanlty better when thin. It happens also to be quite a lot cheaper, but the reason for the preference is taste. The following is my routine every time I'm at a meat counter.

How many slices?

"If you could cut it as thinly as possible and then show me the cut, I'll say then"

Almost every time the person either asks, again, how many slices I want and I have to repeat the previous, or they just get on cutting without acknowledging they've heard me, which really grates, especially considering what happens next:

Over comes the ham, and they say, "That's as thin as I can get it," as if already defensive of their effort. I buy ham at least once a week and I get wafer thin ham each time. So I know that it's far in a way not as thin as it can be cut. (It's not that I'm asking they go to the unexplored outer-reaches of the machine's capabilities.)

Some will insist that it cannot be cut thinner, inspite of my claims that it can and was days before. Or they will say, "Well that's as thin as I can cut it" - the implication being "take it or leave it".

I ask that they try again. [Irritated intake of breath.] Over they go. Big turn of the knob. First slice comes out completely broken up. (I can see they feel vindicated!) A small turn of the knob. And out comes a wafer thin slice of ham! Success!

No one has ever apologised or acknowledged their mistake when they've gone back and been able to cut thinner. I'm polite throughout. But I leave feeling angry and disrespected.

I've probably read a mock dialogue on here before. And I guess I probably thought it was exaggerated for effect to the extent that it was unreliable. But, I promise you, this is my routine. If the scenario differs from the one above, I start to wonder if the world is spinning off its axis or if I'm being served by the future Deli King or something.

Apologised for not cutting your ham thin enough? You sound like a pain in the arse.

Well, I don't say it takes a LOT of practice, tbh :D It just can be a bit tricky to get the hang of. Delis also tend to have a high staff turnover rate, because really, they kinda suck to work in. Or it's really easy to make it a place that sucks to work in, at least. I'm sure there's better-run ones than I worked in as a teenager! And yeah, if they have a regular that comes in looking for it, they have been warned that this happens and should improve.

Also, free ex-deli-worker advice; never eat food from the open salad bins, the serve-yourself cartons. I've seen things, man.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    Apologised for not cutting your ham thin enough? You sound like a pain in the arse.

And you sound like the dim neanderthals that are the subject of this thread. I expect that they'd apologise for resisting cutting the ham thinner, arguing that it can't be, only to find out it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

no apologise for being rude an not doing what the customer wants. its not a big challenge to cut it thin. the machine has setting designed for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Really proves people get offended over nothing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,365 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I hate getting a thick lump of ham in a roll or if I'm getting a few slices of ham, I like it sliced thin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I was ordering a sandwich once, and I'm a vegetarian so I asked her to change gloves, clean knife and surface ect.

She got the bread, first thing she did was put a slice of ham on the bread. She realised what she did, took the ha. Off and used the same gloves and bread that touched ham to make me the sandwich. ****ing scumbag, I ripped through her and the manager. Refused to go back, until I had a job interview there. (Got the job, and the deli worker quit that week) Goodridance. Serves the idiot right.

• Advertisement

no apologise for being rude an not doing what the customer wants. its not a big challenge to cut it thin. the machine has setting designed for this

Actually, it's not a set of buttons, it's a screw, so you set it as thin as the natural ridges in the ham will accept, otherwise you end up with a holey slice (or only a part of a slice). If it's a very thin slice they want, and it's an awkward eye-and-rind ham, you hold the ham against the running bar and either keep a grip on both it and the bar as you move the bar (especially if the blade is a bit dull). If the ham itself is getting to the end be cautious doing this or you may give someone a slice of thumb too*.

Actually, don't try to cut too near the end of a ham hock. One of the funnier incidents I saw of someone doing it, the presser (usually has the handle for moving the running bar, and it keeps the ham firmly against where the blade will slice) couldn't go low enough to keep pressure on the bit of ham the worker was trying to cut. The blade caught it wrong and whipped the end of the ham off the slicer entirely and into the wall.

Come to think of it, I suppose new and fancy cutters may have buttons and fooferah, but any one I ever used was a great big lump of steel with a screw-and-manual-pusher anyway. The "settings" are blade spinning and blade not spinning. That's it.

*Don't do this. It may -work-, but I doubt it's elf and safety approved. Cough.

I was ordering a sandwich once, and I'm a vegetarian so I asked her to change gloves, clean knife and surface ect.

She got the bread, first thing she did was put a slice of ham on the bread. She realised what she did, took the ha. Off and used the same gloves and bread that touched ham to make me the sandwich. ****ing scumbag, I ripped through her and the manager. Refused to go back, until I had a job interview there. (Got the job, and the deli worker quit that week) Goodridance. Serves the idiot right.

It's no wonder vegetarians get a bad name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It's no wonder vegetarians get a bad name!

Why because we want a food to be prepared without touching meat? And if it does we should accept it. Feck off.

Why because we want a food to be prepared without touching meat? And if it does we should accept it. Feck off.

It's the way you come across in the ripping through her. It sounds rude. I've had issues in shops in the past and never had to rip through anybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Because when someone makes a mistake, admittedly a very silly mistake, your automatic reaction is to call them a "****ing scumbag", to rip into them, then rip into the manager to ensure that the manager rips into them again after you've left, smug in having stuck up for vegetarian rights, and apparently to later bully them into quitting, if that was the inference there. I'd be mortified if I felt my presence drove someone out of their job because of how awful I'd been to them, rather than celebratory.

A normal person would have courteously interrupted the worker so they'd realise what they were doing and getting things back on track again. Sure, s/he shouldn't have done that and was probably on automatic, but your reaction just didn't improve anyone's day at all. It's even deeply embarrassing to be in the queue watching a customer throw a tantrum, hold everyone up, and turn the worker scarlet, let alone actually be the worker in that position.

S/he was -wrong-, bur you sounded horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Billy86 wrote: »
    Actually to be fair, we're quite a good bunch (as a whole, not everyone of course) when it comes to treating service staff etc with respect, might be due to not having much of an established class system. Go to London, New York, Sydney or Toronto and observe people in similar situations - it's not that they're aggressive or anything, just generally ignorant in that they seem to be under the impression they're ordering off of a robot rather than a person.

I worked in a sandwich place in California on my J1 years ago. The customers were awful. They really felt superior to you. I worked all though college in Bars, shops etc and I never got the sense of being looked down on the way I was there. No matter how bad a day I am having it takes no effort to use the words thank you to a deli worker, shop assistant etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Absolutely, if that happened me all it calls for it "Sorry but I'm really particular about meat, I'd prefer if you'd use another roll if that's OK". Obviously they'll oblige, no harm done. I mean that has to be a windup - the 'scumbag'? Ripping into her and her manager?

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of deli workers are unable to make/fold a proper wrap? Just got one there from Dunne's and it's actually a big flat square! Tasted fantastic with plenty filling so not complaining really but an incredibly awkward shape to eat....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Awh the poor little veggie had some man food touch his bread. Hope you scrubbed the sand out of your mangina when you got home

Felexicon wrote: »
    Awh the poor little veggie had some man food touch his bread. Hope you scrubbed the sand out of your mangina when you got home

Faint whiff of misogyny about this post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

How many slices?

What a hot house orchid you are.

Oh and if you are constantly meeting with an attitude from deli workers, the common denominator is you. Think about that for a second.

__Alex__ wrote: »

Oh and if you are constantly meeting with an attitude from deli workers, the common denominator is you. Think about that for a second.

Do please clarify for me why it is that I shouldn't be entitled to ask for ham in a particular way. And what is unusual about wanting it wafer-thin? (So common a preference that manufacturers sell packets of it that way.)

Or maybe the recurring feature is the insolent deli worker, of which there are so many other reports in this thread. Think about that..!

Because when someone makes a mistake, admittedly a very silly mistake, your automatic reaction is to call them a "****ing scumbag", to rip into them, then rip into the manager to ensure that the manager rips into them again after you've left, smug in having stuck up for vegetarian rights, and apparently to later bully them into quitting, if that was the inference there. I'd be mortified if I felt my presence drove someone out of their job because of how awful I'd been to them, rather than celebratory.

A normal person would have courteously interrupted the worker so they'd realise what they were doing and getting things back on track again. Sure, s/he shouldn't have done that and was probably on automatic, but your reaction just didn't improve anyone's day at all. It's even deeply embarrassing to be in the queue watching a customer throw a tantrum, hold everyone up, and turn the worker scarlet, let alone actually be the worker in that position.

S/he was -wrong-, bur you sounded horrible.

Couldn't agree more, Samaris, the way she was treated for a mistake doesn't paint the poster in a very good light. And if they are exaggerating here to engender sympathy? Swing and a miss!

Do please clarify for me why it is that I shouldn't be entitled to ask for ham in a particular way. And what is unusual about wanting it wafer-thin? (So common a preference that manufacturers sell packets of it that way.)

Or maybe the recurring feature is the insolent deli worker, of which there are so many other reports in this thread. Think about that..!

As Samaris explained, it can be quite tricky and as delis often have a high turnover (wonder why?), not every worker might have the knack. We only have your side and if you are constantly detecting attitude, well, every action has a reaction and considering how often this apparently happens to you, I'm guessing they're reacting, not acting.

There's nothing wrong with wanting your ham wafer thin, but personally, I never expect delis to make my sandwich exactly how I would make it myself at home. If I hit upon a place that makes sandwiches I like, I vote with my feet and go there. I don't get huffy about places that make things differently to how I like. Restaurants vary widely, why not delis?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

This saying springs to mind " If you meet an asshole in the morning you've met an asshole , if you're meeting them all day the chances are you're the asshole "

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

"Just a small bit of butter please"

Grabs butter knife, spreads a foundation of butter on BOTH pieces of bread.

Just inject it straight into my veins next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

This whole conversation reminds me of an episode of the Royle Family.
    "I'm a vegetarian nana I don't eat meat"
    Nana: "what about wafer thin ham?"

To be clear, reason_versus_religion; you don't sound particularly rude in how you go about it (unlike the other poster!), and my comment was more to give the other side, that it's probably not down to sheer bloody-mindedness or anything. What you're looking for isn't unreasonable, just a little unusual and takes a bit more focus than doing it normally. The slices are also very inclined to fall or fold over on themselves messily, so it takes a bit longer to ensure you end up with a neat pile you can wrap without it looking like a disaster zone.

By the way, you do get quite good at mentally converting weights and measures. People will order ham by the slices, in pounds, in grams, "a couple/a few/some" and "ah sure, just bung a bit on there". "A couple" is between two-to-four, depending on country, age and gender of the customer. "A few" is probably between three and five. "Some" can mean anything. The worst measure is "enough ham for three people for lunch" (generally requested by rather confused-looking older gentlemen). I don't know how whether you have a ham-fiend in the house or whether that means three slices!

As Samaris explained, it can be quite tricky and as delis often have a high turnover (wonder why?), not every worker might have the knack. We only have your side and if you are constantly detecting attitude, well, every action has a reaction and considering how often this apparently happens to you, I'm guessing they're reacting, not acting.

There's nothing wrong with wanting your ham wafer thin, but personally, I never expect delis to make my sandwich exactly how I would make it myself at home. If I hit upon a place that makes sandwiches I like, I vote with my feet and go there. I don't get huffy about places that make things differently to how I like. Restaurants vary widely, why not delis?

As I responded to Samaris, it's not sufficiently tricky that every single time they go back to cut it as I ask, they manage.

The attitude I get is resistance, not snark. How am I culpable for bringing that on myself? And I resent that you're maligning my character, picking and choosing from my account what suits.

Are you comparing making a restaurant meal, let alone a sandwich, to the simple task of cutting ham?! Are you comfortable with them being similarly blasé about how many slices I get?

To be clear, reason_versus_religion; you don't sound particularly rude in how you go about it (unlike the other poster!), and my comment was more to give the other side, that it's probably not down to sheer bloody-mindedness or anything. What you're looking for isn't unreasonable, just a little unusual and takes a bit more focus than doing it normally. The slices are also very inclined to fall or fold over on themselves messily, so it takes a bit longer to ensure you end up with a neat pile you can wrap without it looking like a disaster zone.

Appreciate that! Being indirectly called an asshole by others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

It's gas how so many people are absolute whingebags like. I worked in bars etc for years and it never ceased to amaze me how some characters can be anal to the point of being ridiculous. Grown adults having actual tantrums, taking offence and losing sleep over the slight thickness difference in a slice of bloody ham or a glove that may have brushed against some chicken. Get f*cking real like. "Oh I'm a paying customer." Big deal, you're buying a sandwich at a petrol station you don't have some exalted status because you've rocked into Spar with four euros.

There is nothing more effete, prissy and pathetic than fussiness about food. Oh boo hop my ham was thick. I'd have gotten a clatter as a young lad if I was crying to my grandparents or my mam about the ham or the length of a sausage or some other non-issue.

Advertisement