Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid deli workers, annoying as fucκ

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

I agree, there is a way to talk to them. But after explicitly asking her to change gloves, clean knife and worktops so my food hasn't been near meat, she goes and puts ham on sandwich and then takes it off like it's no big deal.

That's because to her it's not. To you a vegetarian it's important, but to a deli staff who's not vegetarian it's just an oopsy and it was corrected how they correct most others. They're much more used to, "oh, ham, sorry you wanted chicken" than "oh ham you're a vegetarian", all you had to say was "oh, sorry there, can you please just some fresh bread, sorry but I really don't want meat on my food" stop trying to justify being an asshat. I abhor mayonnaise and I often have gotten a chicken fillet burger from a takeaway where someone along the line didn't listen to me & put mayo on it. Do you think I've at any point stormed up to the counter and tore them to pieces? All you did there was embarrass yourself and the poor girl working there. There's no justification for what you did, please just at least accept that you were an arse and overreacted terribly. It's much easier and nicer to just ask for a fresh sliced to be used you didn't HAVE to rip into her you CHOSE to. In all the years I've been at garage food counters, takeaways, cafes or restaurants I've never ripped into anyone. Do they make mistakes occasionally? Indeed they do. Do I ask for it to be remade to my tastes as described first? Yes. Do I feel the need to rip someone's spine out through their mouth over a mix up? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭dinorebel

FTA69 wrote: »
    It's gas how so many people are absolute whingebags like. I worked in bars etc for years and it never ceased to amaze me how some characters can be anal to the point of being ridiculous. Grown adults having actual tantrums, taking offence and losing sleep over the slight thickness difference in a slice of bloody ham or a glove that may have brushed against some chicken. Get f*cking real like. "Oh I'm a paying customer." Big deal, you're buying a sandwich at a petrol station you don't have some exalted status because you've rocked into Spar with four euros.

There is nothing more effete, prissy and pathetic than fussiness about food. Oh boo hop my ham was thick. I'd have gotten a clatter as a young lad if I was crying to my grandparents or my mam about the ham or the length of a sausage or some other non-issue.

To be fair sausage length is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

No I didn't call her a scumbag. I went mad after, so what reason would she of had to sabotage my sandwich.

I can think of two.

One: You seem to be giving off a vibe that doesn't bring out the best in other people. You don't seem to have an air about you that encourages people to do the best to please you because they like you. You know that little fluffy duckling that's quacking all cute in the middle of the road and you go and risk your life to pick it up and carry it to the other side? Yeah that's not you. That's entirely subjective though, I mean I have never seen you. Call it male intuition or something.

Two: It's a wee bit silly. A slice of ham has touched your bread. You're not allergic, so that doesn't kill you. You won't taste it, so that argument is out of the window. No animals life was saved by giving you a new roll instead of using the one that briefly came in contact with the meat. There is no rational reason why you should get a new roll, hence the deli worker didn't give you a new roll. It might be a big deal for the customer, because their imaginary friend up in the sky forbids them to eat anything that has come on contact with a particular animal, or because they're so hardcore vegetarian that eating something that even has been in contact with meat already grosses them out. Fair enough, it's their right then to get a new roll because that's what they wanted in the first place. But if you want someone to act in a way that completely defies logic just because of your irrational fears/disgusts/anxieties/religious beliefs I'm afraid you will have to tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    Two: It's a wee bit silly. A slice of ham has touched your bread. You're not allergic, so that doesn't kill you. You won't taste it, so that argument is out of the window. No animals life was saved by giving you a new roll instead of using the one that briefly came in contact with the meat. There is no rational reason why you should get a new roll, hence the deli worker didn't give you a new roll. It might be a big deal for the customer, because their imaginary friend up in the sky forbids them to eat anything that has come on contact with a particular animal, or because they're so hardcore vegetarian that eating something that even has been in contact with meat already grosses them out. Fair enough, it's their right then to get a new roll because that's what they wanted in the first place. But if you want someone to act in a way that completely defies logic just because of your irrational fears/disgusts/anxieties/religious beliefs I'm afraid you will have to tell them.

:D cracking stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I can think of two.

One: You seem to be giving off a vibe that doesn't bring out the best in other people. You don't seem to have an air about you that encourages people to do the best to please you because they like you. You know that little fluffy duckling that's quacking all cute in the middle of the road and you go and risk your life to pick it up and carry it to the other side? Yeah that's not you. That's entirely subjective though, I mean I have never seen you. Call it male intuition or something.

Stop talking sense!

To be honest, people who order from deli's (or anwhere else) have no idea what has happened to their food prior to them eating it. It's a long way from farm (ground if your a veggy) to mouth and anything could and does happen along that journey.

Anybody wanting complete control over what they eat needs to breed their own animals and grow their own fruits and vegetables.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I agree, there is a way to talk to them. But after explicitly asking her to change gloves, clean knife and worktops so my food hasn't been near meat, she goes and puts ham on sandwich and then takes it off like it's no big deal.

For €8.50 an hour, I wouldn't switch on my brain either.

She may not have heard you or maybe she doesn't understand your very specific and odd requests (I doubt deli staff get that request a lot), she probably forgot about you as soon as she handed you your roll.

Honestly, if you are that particular about your food, why not make the roll at home? Honestly, you can't be 100% sure that everything in the deli is meat free.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭2PieceJigsaw

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is it strange or sexist that I prefer my sandwich be made by a woman? Ideally an older woman.

I don't have this inclination in the likes of Subway, but it a typical Dunnes or Spar deli I'm always hoping I get served by the old doll rather than the bored looking youngfella. I think women are just better at sandwich making.

This is not strange.
    I used to work at counters too and we'd have 4 staff on and it goes like this..
    Staff have customers they can deal with if someone comes in that's picky the oldest staff member looked after that person,job done everyone is happy
    Staff get used to their customers so we'd be doing a little type of jig behind the counter and customers wouldn't notice but most of the time customers do have a staff member they prefer to make the sandwich or roll from.And they'll openly say can 2Piece make mine please it was in an industrial estate so you get to know regulars quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭Quandary

We used to go to the same deli counter for years because the consistency of the rolls was amazing. There was an Eastern European girl working there who was like a sandwich making savant. She used to run the deli counter on her own, sometimes even during the lunch rush hour. Her speed, technique, spread control, filling quantities and wrapping skills were out of this world. We used to call her "The Builder". This girl was honestly worth twice her wages because she was easily as good as two people.

On the other side of the coin, there's a deli close to where I live now and they have three staff on at all times. Two of them are excellent but the third one is a nightmare. Almost Anytime she made my roll/wrap it was nearly impossible to eat without filling spilling everywhere, massive handfuls of onions(and I love onions, but a fistful of raw white onion kinda kills the other ingredients).

It is so bad that nowadays I just get something from the hot counter if she's the one that is next in line to serve me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Honestly - if you're a vegetarian. Don't eat from a deli. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Degag wrote: »
    My pet peeve is that when i ask for coleslaw (for example) i don't want you to take a knife and scrape a tiny bit of it accross the roll. Take out a spoon and put a decent amount on.

I'm the opposite - just a small bit of coleslaw please - two fúcking bucket fulls is not a small bit, 2 teaspoons is a small bit.

Also I detest cheese - I am not eating any roll I have to pick shreds of cheese off cos you're too fúcking skanky to wipe the board between sambos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

People are pretty high and mightly and entitled around here for a three euro roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

People are pretty high and mightly and entitled around here for a three euro roll.

For my part I just have a hang up about cheese - the coleslaw I'd just scrape off and throw in the bin - but cheese is made from satans jizz.
    I just ain't licking that :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

This is not strange. I used to work at counters too and we'd have 4 staff on and it goes like this.. Staff have customers they can deal with if someone comes in that's picky the oldest staff member looked after that person,job done everyone is happy Staff get used to their customers so we'd be doing a little type of jig behind the counter and customers wouldn't notice but most of the time customers do have a staff member they prefer to make the sandwich or roll from.And they'll openly say can 2Piece make mine please it was in an industrial estate so you get to know regulars quickly.

I suppose that makes sense, like the barbers, you want the one who won't make a balls of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

For my part I just have a hang up about cheese - the coleslaw I'd just scrape off and throw in the bin - but cheese is made from satans jizz.
    I just ain't licking that :mad:

If you don't like cheese that's your own problem, and there is no hope of redemption for you, and frankly the world would be better off without your sick, depraved type. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I can think of two.

I'm going to check this thread every day for his response to this.

Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

When I ask for a white roll, don't just assume want butter and just put a glob on the knife.

Don't look so shocked at me ask me if "I'm sure" when I tell you I want neither butter nor mayonnaise.

Don't cut my roll open with a butter-laden knife after I clearly stated that I don't want butter, thus leaving butter residue in my roll.

When I ask for meat, salad and stuffing, don't jam in the salad and put the meat on top then drizzle the stuffing on top, thus causing it to fall out.

When you cut my roll in half GO ALL THE WAY BASTARDING THROUGH, don't just cut half way thrugh it leaving me to tare the rest.

You seem like you're a twat.

Advertisement