Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid deli workers, annoying as fucκ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

No not at all, I'm sure there are loads of dicky deli workers. But if it happens so much to you, maybe you're the problem. Just something to think about.
    5rtytry56 wrote: »
    some on this thread love playing dicky dicky deliworker ;):)
    Dr Nick must be a Yank, surely?

Discodog wrote: »
    A lot of Irish male customers just grunt. They are incapably of pleasant conversation. The East Europeans staff have to photograph the food because their friends & family won't believe what we eat.
    That's some sweeping statement. Eastern Europeans won't believe what we eat? How do you mean?

Which bit ?

My friend is Romanian & she still takes photos even though she been working here for years.
    A Romanian working? Well now we know your bluffing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Sam Kade wrote: »

Some of the hardest working people in the world mate. I'd a squad of them in putting steel in my house and they were quick, tidy, had the job done in two days and all for a good price.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    Some of the hardest working people in the world mate. I'd a squad of them in putting steel in my house and they were quick, tidy, had the job done in two days and all for a good price.
    They must be sending the lazy ones over here then usually their women folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

Have you ever worked in a job where you had to deal with the public ? I forgot to mention in that post that I worked in a deli when I was younger and I am not a rude person what so ever. The amount of rude customers I had was unbelievable.people look down on you for working in a deli.

The rudeness of some people astonishes me frequently. Quite often that comes from thickness more than anything. See https://notalwaysright.com/ for example. Makes me lose my faith in humanity on a daily basis. I don't envy anyone working in the service industry.

But I still can't help but point out the irony in this sentence:
    I was studying for my degree at the time and lucky for Me I hold my self in high regard and no that i am more intelegent than your average customer that cant even make there own sandwich.

Also, where does the notion come from that when you avail of a service it means you can't do it yourself? I can make a sandwich, I still buy one occasionally. I can also cook, but still go out once in a while. I'm sure I could also bake my own bread, change my cars tyres, etc.

Have you ever worked in a job where you had to deal with the public ? I forgot to mention in that post that I worked in a deli when I was younger and I am not a rude person what so ever. The amount of rude customers I had was unbelievable.people look down on you for working in a deli. I was studying for my degree at the time and lucky for Me I hold my self in high regard and no that i am more intelegent than your average customer that cant even make there own sandwich. I treat all people with respect and I expect the same from other people. If I am disrespected I also will show disrespect . Deli workers mcdonalds workers subway workers should all be treated with respect. Just because they are at the lower end of the pay scale doesn't make them stupid and that is the way I felt I was treated by the irish public when I worked in a deli.

Why don't I believe you? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its not surprising that some people dealing with the public may be tempted to spread "Extras " on certain peoples orders .

Be nice to people that prepare your food or else......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

They must be sending the lazy ones over here then usually their women folk.

You do know the difference between Roma and Romanian right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

There's only one correct answer to the "butter or mayonnaise" question.

I always reply "Neither, I'll have ballymaloe relish"

It's the only time to they look up and make eye connect with you. You can see what they are thinking. "oh this f**ker is a mutha-f**king sandwich connoisseur, I better step up my game"

Ballymaloe relish demands it.

FTA69 wrote: »
    You do know the difference between Roma and Romanian right?
    Where did I say Roma?

I haven't read all 21 pages of this thread (on the app)yet but I assume the 'I'll have a bread roll but can you remove the bread first please" subject has been discussed and we are all agreed that these people should be put on a boat and cast off into the wild Atlantic right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Why don't I believe you? :)

I wrote that post after the pub this morning. I can spell normally. All of it is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

There's only one correct answer to the "butter or mayonnaise" question.

I always reply "Neither, I'll have ballymaloe relish"

It's the only time to they look up and make eye connect with you. You can see what they are thinking. "oh this f**ker is a mutha-f**king sandwich connoisseur, I better step up my game"

Ballymaloe relish demands it.

Ballymaloe relish is just gussied up ketchup that you pay through the nose for.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭2PieceJigsaw

__Alex__ wrote: »

I thought I was the only one I even have the excuse made up that I've an egg allergy they still look at me like I'm mad.
    No butter or any sauce never mind mayo,when the egg allergy is used the knife is cleaned and the chopping board is changed for a new one it's very embarrassing when I've friends with me they do be mortified I do be retching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

__Alex__ wrote:

Ive yet to be charged additional for ballymaloe relish over butter/Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

If I say a "small bit of cheese" I don't mean a handful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

Where did I say Roma?

You didn't , but it's clear you're backtracking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Ive yet to be charged additional for ballymaloe relish over butter/Mayo

Obviously I meant if you buy it yourself for home. Congratulations, you've just paid over the odds for ketchup.

You're probably getting a raised eyebrow because they are wondering why you want ketchup in your ham sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That's some sweeping statement. Eastern Europeans won't believe what we eat? How do you mean?

Says it all.

The Paddy's must be still too pissed in the morning to know what they want. We know that all they do is drink - don't they ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If I say a "small bit of cheese" I don't mean a handful.
    Could you not say how many grams you want....One persons small bit of cheese may not be another bit of cheese......

Reading this : I think that Deli Worked should be armed with side arms and be allowed to legally shoot anyone who over steps their self deciding marks....

One things for sure there seems to be a lot of punters that expect deli workers to use psychic powers to work out their every whim......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I was getting a roll the other day and the deli worker cleaned the knife with a cloth beside him and proceeded to wipe his sweaty brow with it afterwards.
    Lovely.
    "Actually, I'm grand thanks"...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Have you ever worked in a job where you had to deal with the public ? I forgot to mention in that post that I worked in a deli when I was younger and I am not a rude person what so ever. The amount of rude customers I had was unbelievable.people look down on you for working in a deli. I was studying for my degree at the time and lucky for Me I hold my self in high regard and no that i am more intelegent than your average customer that cant even make there own sandwich. I treat all people with respect and I expect the same from other people. If I am disrespected I also will show disrespect . Deli workers mcdonalds workers subway workers should all be treated with respect. Just because they are at the lower end of the pay scale doesn't make them stupid and that is the way I felt I was treated by the irish public when I worked in a deli.

Sweet Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Customer: Chicken fillet roll please.

Me: do you want Mayo on that ?

Customer: hang on , takes out phone , rings his mother. Mam do I like Mayo ??

Me : ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

By now for me going by what is described in this thread, there is a widening gulf between the adverts for deli's in bus shelters and on junk mail leaflets and the real world experience:

It's like paddy's attitude towards paying tax - get the best quality food from pleasant friendly deli staff and pay the dreggs for the whole experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

A lot of Irish male customers just grunt. They are incapably of pleasant conversation. The East Europeans staff have to photograph the food because their friends & family won't believe what we eat.

Actually to be fair, we're quite a good bunch (as a whole, not everyone of course) when it comes to treating service staff etc with respect, might be due to not having much of an established class system. Go to London, New York, Sydney or Toronto and observe people in similar situations - it's not that they're aggressive or anything, just generally ignorant in that they seem to be under the impression they're ordering off of a robot rather than a person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

blinding wrote: »
    Reading this : I think that Deli Worked should be armed with side arms and be allowed to legally shoot anyone who over steps their self deciding marks....

One things for sure there seems to be a lot of punters that expect deli workers to use psychic powers to work out their every whim......:eek:

Worked as one myself for a few years. Yes, people do expect you to be psychic. And boy do they get pissy if you're not.

Mind you, after making up fifty rolls at lunchtime for the schoolkids, you get into a bit of a pattern and it's surprisingly difficult to stop yourself from automatically buttering a roll after cutting it.

But the people who ask for fifteen things in their roll in a weird order "Can I have lettuce, relish, chicken - that piece of chicken there, mayonnaise, no -that- piece, anchovies, sweetcorn and relish - I don't want a white roll, I want a brown roll! No, -that- brown roll. And cut it in half, please. I don't want butter! Why would you put butter on it! Cut me another one, with a new knife. That one has butter on it and I can't bear the taste of butter. What do you mean anchovies will be extra? The other person always gives them to me as part of the roll! Bloody scam this is. Oh, and put a sausage in there, and that better not be charged for! Oh, and I asked for cucumber? Why is there no cucumber in there?"

Specify beforehand that you don't want the damn butter, you unpleasant roll-nommer. And you are absolutely getting charged for the fecking sausage. And I'm pretty darn sure you hadn't asked for cucumber.. *smile becomes fixed grimace, murmur something polite, remake roll to fit the damn cucumber*.

"Yeah, just lash it in there, can I have another bit of chicken in there, there's a space. Why won't the sausage go in neatly?!"

Because you want lettuce, chicken, sweetcorn, anchovies and a sausage in there, you deeply irritating person and there's a finite amount of space in a demi-baguette. *grimace becomes death rictus, contemplate ancient curses*

"Ugh, well, I suppose it will do. Do you have forks?"

Sure, I'll shove it up your rear end with relish.

"Actually, no, you've taken too long with it and I'm not paying for an extra sausage, I'll go somewhere else!"

Fcuk you, no-one else is going to want this horrible concoction.. "Okay, have a nice day. There's another deli down the road if you wish." - and they will charge you for the sausage too, you aggravating dipsh*t.

Yeah, this is why I never want to work in a deli again. My patience was never suited to it and people can be deeply irritating.

Simple rules for getting along at a deli:
    - Choose your roll before you get to the counter.
    - Choose your fillings while waiting in line.
    - Decide whether or not you want butter.
    - Give simple, courteous, instructions to the worker.
    Be patient if they do mess up. If you start snapping at them in front of the whole line, they will probably make more mistakes.
    - Remember that they will have to continue to deal with the line politely and professionally after you and your bad day is gone. You're not the only person in the world.
    - Do not threaten deli worker. Seriously. Why do people need telling this?

Follow these simple guidelines for a normal deli experience.

Advertisement