Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid deli workers, annoying as fucκ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Myself and my OH were getting rolls the other day, she put so much butter on I felt ill watching and had to say "oh that's plenty thanks". Then my OH asked for mayo and taco sauce on his, she used a big knife to put mayo on his roll and then dipped the same knife straight into a big bottle of taco sauce rather than wipe it or use a different one .. vile

Sorry but maybe you didn't know, taco sauce mainly consists of mayonnaise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

WOW JUST WOW...so many angry people.
    Working on the roads I'm a very frequent visitor to ****ty delis...conversation usually goes...what ya want?...breakfast roll...butter?..yes please...what you want on it?....breakfast please....4euros please...there ya go thank you.

Lunch...what ya want?...roll with ham,Turkey,egg mayo please...butter or mayonnaise?....I smile just butter please enough mayo already thanks...she or he smiles and laugh "sorry just used to asking everyone butter or mayo"...no bother there your 4euros.
    It's sh1t food we all know it,it's only to stop the hunger for a while....relax a bit these poor fcukers are making 100's of sh1tty rolls and sambos everyday and don't need jumped up pretentious pricks getting uppity because they weren't given the 5 star treatment at a poxy Apple green or spar deli

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Luggnuts

Mayo and taco sauce?

I'd be filing for divorce rather than whining about a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭893bet

Shelflife wrote: »
    Just to clarify, you caused a scene in a shop by ripping through a deli worker who was prob the same age as you and then you ripped through the manager as well .

Then you had a job interview in the same shop with I presume the same manager and he gave you a job ??

Hmmmm !

The manager realised just what a big deal they are. And that they literally could not go on with out their sandwich making expertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,349 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Regarding getting ham cut thin. Theirs a Deli in my town that has home cooked ham, turkey, beef, fish, salad, cakes, breads, etc.
    People often get bits and pieces and brings them home for their lunch of dinner. It's quite expensive and if the deli assistant didn't cut the mean thin you could be charged over 5 euros for about two slices of ham. So by requesting your meat being thin you can also make it do more people! (It's also a deli which pays well, people have worked their 20 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Jumping back to the rotisserie chickens, people ...do this! Especially the moment of shock at the chickens -not being done yet- as if everyone should know that deli food isn't cooked, it's just willed into being. Only food made at home is cooked.

But I've had at least one overall and certainly one very insistent customer that was absolutely mad to buy a chicken half-cooked so he could cook it the rest of the way at home. He was taking no "not done yets" when it came to his chicken, he had been told to get a hot chicken and carry a hot chicken home was his plan, fully cooked or not.

I can't remember what actually happened about it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't sell him a half-done chicken, protestations of his cooking it perfectly bedamned.

Mind you, I've found some weird stuff inside chickens that I'm prepping for the rotisserie. It mostly put me off them. I can't have gotten -all- the weird-ass chickens, can I? Therefore, why was I the only one getting into trouble for rejecting chickens with exploded stomachs. Was everyone else cooking them -with- exploded stomachs? Did they just scrape out the contents? Did people just not notice the cloaca still hanging out? The stomachs shouldn't even have been still in, just to explain; the chicken factory should have removed all the viscera. They tended to miss a lot. I don't think it would actually kill you, but it would taint the meat if it burst during cooking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

A lot of people should just make their own in stead of buying at a deli.
    Make it at home, from stuff you ordered on line in your wholesome food shop and had delivered at home.
    And stay at home, dont go outside.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Some of those bitching here about rolls should just go to subway and try argue over how their roll should be made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Samaris wrote: »
    Jumping back to the rotisserie chickens, people ...do this! Especially the moment of shock at the chickens -not being done yet- as if everyone should know that deli food isn't cooked, it's just willed into being. Only food made at home is cooked.

But I've had at least one overall and certainly one very insistent customer that was absolutely mad to buy a chicken half-cooked so he could cook it the rest of the way at home. He was taking no "not done yets" when it came to his chicken, he had been told to get a hot chicken and carry a hot chicken home was his plan, fully cooked or not.

I can't remember what actually happened about it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't sell him a half-done chicken, protestations of his cooking it perfectly bedamned.

Mind you, I've found some weird stuff inside chickens that I'm prepping for the rotisserie. It mostly put me off them. I can't have gotten -all- the weird-ass chickens, can I? Therefore, why was I the only one getting into trouble for rejecting chickens with exploded stomachs. Was everyone else cooking them -with- exploded stomachs? Did they just scrape out the contents? Did people just not notice the cloaca still hanging out? The stomachs shouldn't even have been still in, just to explain; the chicken factory should have removed all the viscera. They tended to miss a lot. I don't think it would actually kill you, but it would taint the meat if it burst during cooking.

You've just put me off chicken for life!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I was ordering a sandwich once, and I'm a vegetarian so I asked her to change gloves, clean knife and surface ect.

She got the bread, first thing she did was put a slice of ham on the bread. She realised what she did, took the ha. Off and used the same gloves and bread that touched ham to make me the sandwich. ****ing scumbag, I ripped through her and the manager. Refused to go back, until I had a job interview there. (Got the job, and the deli worker quit that week) Goodridance. Serves the idiot right.

I have to say... you post some very odd threads and posts on boards to be honest, but this post is by far the worst.

Complete oddball

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Back in the days of the wild west....I don't think that people were as fussy as they are now....... Fussy barstewards may have been shot........and probably were.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Some of those bitching here about rolls should just go to subway and try argue over how their roll should be made.

Hey! You can't argue with artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Johngoose wrote: »
    Another pet peeve of mine is when you go above the standard number of fillings and they tell you "you know that will be extra." As if 50c extra is going to ruin your life.

I'm sure if they don't tell you they will eventually have to deal with some nutter who thinks their life has been ruined.

My big take away from when I used to get stuff from a counter was never ever ever ask for ketchup. No matter what adjective you use to describe how much you want there is much too large a chance of them drowning your sandwich in it. Also , any job no matter how low skilled you think it is will still have people who are terrible at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is it strange or sexist that I prefer my sandwich be made by a woman? Ideally an older woman.

I don't have this inclination in the likes of Subway, but it a typical Dunnes or Spar deli I'm always hoping I get served by the old doll rather than the bored looking youngfella. I think women are just better at sandwich making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

blinding wrote: »
    Back in the days of the wild west....I don't think that people were as fussy as they are now....... Fussy barstewards may have been shot........and probably were.....

Doubt it, I found the over 40 crowd to typically be the worst on average (or more specifically, about the 35-60 crowd). Didn't have too many bad customers all in all so not throwing them all in together, but of those that were - a strangely high proportion were around that age now that I think of it.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is it strange or sexist that I prefer my sandwich be made by a woman? Ideally an older woman.

I don't have this inclination in the likes of Subway, but it a typical Dunnes or Spar deli I'm always hoping I get served by the old doll rather than the bored looking youngfella. I think women are just better at sandwich making.

Must be something about the way an older woman butters your bread, slobbers the mayo up and down your entire roll, presses down on your ham and tosses your lettuce and salads that just does it for you I guess.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

callaway92 wrote: »
    I have to say... you post some very odd threads and posts on boards to be honest, but this post is by far the worst.

Complete oddball

How the **** do I post weird posts and threads.
    Piss off.

Piss off.

Ah calm down, it's not like he touched your bread with his meat or anything.

Piss off.

The customer service at that shop you work at must be delightful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Samaris wrote:

That's happened to me too - seriously, what's wrong with some people?! Bet he'd be the first to come back and claim damages for food poisoning if you give into him!

Oh I remembered something else! A few customers used to ask for a cup of the grease that collected at the bottom of the rotisserie oven, obviously to bring home to make gravy. There was something that always turned my stomach about that!
    Samaris wrote:

Just because this post made me feel quite ill.. I'd like to reassure people that this doesn't happen with all rotisserie chickens. In 4 years working on the hot food counter of a well known supermarket chain I never once came across a chicken I wouldn't have been happy eating myself. In fact a regular occurrence would be staff buying a chicken to share on their lunch break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mod

I actually don't understand what this thread is about and how it got this far (!) but whatever it is, abusing each other shouldn't be it! Please don't :)

P.S - I hate when then don't spread the butter. Who wants lumps of butter in your gob!? Not me. Am I doing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

GreenFolder2 As a fellow Coeliac I share your pain. It's a nightmare add being Pescatarian on top of Coeliac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I was ordering a sandwich once, and I'm a vegetarian so I asked her to change gloves, clean knife and surface ect.

She got the bread, first thing she did was put a slice of ham on the bread. She realised what she did, took the ha. Off and used the same gloves and bread that touched ham to make me the sandwich. ****ing scumbag, I ripped through her and the manager. Refused to go back, until I had a job interview there. (Got the job, and the deli worker quit that week) Goodridance. Serves the idiot right.

If you ate the bread that had touched the ham, would you have imploded or combusted into flames?

I understand that you asked for something specific, but don't you think your over-reaction was uncalled for?

There's a way to talk to people, even if they made a mistake, and your example of doing so is incorrect.

To be perfectly honest theirs massive cross contamination between foods at deli counters. If it something that concerns you, you shouldn't really be ordering from them.

To be perfectly honest theirs massive cross contamination between foods at deli counters. If it something that concerns you, you shouldn't really be ordering from them.

Exactly my thoughts. If food allergies or sensitivities or choices etc. are really serious for a person then they shouldn't be ordering at a garage deli.

If you ate the bread that had touched the ham, would you have imploded or combusted into flames?

I understand that you asked for something specific, but don't you think your over-reaction was uncalled for?

There's a way to talk to people, even if they made a mistake, and your example of doing so is incorrect.

I agree, there is a way to talk to them. But after explicitly asking her to change gloves, clean knife and worktops so my food hasn't been near meat, she goes and puts ham on sandwich and then takes it off like it's no big deal.

I agree, there is a way to talk to them. But after explicitly asking her to change gloves, clean knife and worktops so my food hasn't been near meat, she goes and puts ham on sandwich and then takes it off like it's no big deal.

Probably did it on purpose, I would. You called her a ****ing scumbag like, get a grip!

pilly wrote: »
    Probably did it on purpose, I would. You called her a ****ing scumbag like, get a grip!

No I didn't call her a scumbag. I went mad after, so what reason would she of had to sabotage my sandwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Poor deli counter staff probably didn't realise she was dealing with a level 5 vegan.

Advertisement