Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid deli workers, annoying as fucκ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

If you don't like the service then make your own sangers or rolls. Simples.

What if you don't like the service in a cinema? Make you own films?

Clothes in a shop? Make you own clothes?

Education standard for your child? Quit your job and school them yourself?

People are always going to complain about lousy service, its the only way things will change. Your stupid blanket response of "Duh, if you don't like it, do it yourself" never got anyone anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Do any deli worker have the intelligence of thinking in asking what can I get you or are you being served instead of asking you are you alrite?.
    I tells them I am and ask them are they alrite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

For people that are too fooking lazy to make a sandwich / roll there are many that are awful fooking fussy when someone else is making it......

Ye can see where Basil Fawlty could get a little tetchy.........

And he wasn't making anything as precipertarious (word does not actually exist) as a roll or a sandwich.....

A precipertarious roll ........anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

One thing I hate about deli workers: I ask for a wrap "Wrap with Mayo please". He or she looks at you sarcastically and says "Is that all you want on it?". Well no, you ignorant fcuk, I was giving you a chance to put the mayo on before bombarding you with 3 or 4 ingredients that you might not remember.

I tried the flip side: "Wrap with Mayo, cheese, chicken, a bit of on-" "Oh hang on and I put the mayo on first", all impatient at your list, as if you are bombarding them too soon.

You cannot win...
    Give them the first 2-3 things, wait until they're onto the last one, give them the remaining stuff (unless it's a lot, in which case give another 2-3 things). It's really not all that difficult.

And a lot of people do just say one ingredient, and wait every time to be asked if they want anything else, listing out just one more item per time.

Deub wrote: »
    I would like to thank: Rude people, 'don't know what I want' people, 'complaining' people.

It makes my life better. Each time I go to a counter, I arrive with a smile, say hello, make a little joke about the previous customer that was a pain and 90% of the time you get a smile and efficient service. Once in a while, you don't pay for a little extra.
    It's gas how far being polite, or just not being an arsehole, can get you. Beyond just sandwiches, it's got me bumped to first class and free upgrades on hotel rooms on a few occasions :D . Also got the odd taxi ride where I let them know I was a little short of the full distance early on (say a half mile away from where I was going), was sound with them, and without asking got told they'd take me the rest of the way on what I had.

If anyone has ever worked in customer service they should know the last person anyone wants to deal with is the type that seems to be just looking to catch you out on something or is being needlessly aggressive. Someone who is sound about things, you'll often be more than willing to go the extra mile for - better off spending your day dealing with them after all.

Used to work in insurance years ago and I on more than a few occasions from ringing around on behalf of sound people to underwriters about awkward things (say 2-3 teenagers being put on a policy, or an insurance claim against them for €30k+ due to the other party claiming "whiplash" etc) I could sometimes save them hundreds of Euro. Even got one persons quote down from €1,900 to €750 and their son who lived in Japan as a permanent named driver for whenever he was home. If someone was being an arsehole, you'd just get them the best quote you could as quick as possible (no calling around on their behalf or extra miling), give them the price, get them up and out of the way and move on to the next.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Give them the first 2-3 things, wait until they're onto the last one, give them the remaining stuff (unless it's a lot, in which case give another 2-3 things). It's really not all that difficult.

And a lot of people do just say one ingredient, and wait every time to be asked if they want anything else, listing out just one more item per time.

But then you get the workers who, after hearing one ingredient, look at you all annoyed and ask "Is that it??" so you are stuck between only giving 1 or 2 ingredients to an impatient worker or giving it all to them only for them to get annoyed. My default is the first condition because I find a lot of cranky deli workers cant take more than 1 ingredient at a time.

Another bugbear is when they are chatting away to their colleagues and act annoyed when you dare to appear, wanting service. I hate that in ANY shop, though. Do your job, keep the chatting for when there are no customers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Do any deli worker have the intelligence of thinking in asking what can I get you or are you being served instead of asking you are you alrite?.
    I'd say that when the ask 'Normal " people are they alright they are asking 'what can I get you ' or are you being served "

In your case they may actually be asking you 'Are You Alright " because perhaps you are looking at them like some sort of header.....:eek:

Perhaps take 'Are you alright as ".....well most of us know......;)

But then you get the workers who, after hearing one ingredient, look at you all annoyed and ask "Is that it??" so you are stuck between only giving 1 or 2 ingredients to an impatient worker or giving it all to them only for them to get annoyed. My default is the first condition because I find a lot of cranky deli workers cant take more than 1 ingredient at a time.

Another bugbear is when they are chatting away to their colleagues and act annoyed when you dare to appear, wanting service. I hate that in ANY shop, though. Do your job, keep the chatting for when there are no customers.

Can honestly say I've never had that happen to me. I would usually ask in Subway for example, "can I get a chicken and bacon roll on Italian herbs and cheese with pepper jack cheese", then when they pull it out of the oven I'll ask "can I get that with lettuce, tomato, jalapeno...", and when they're putting in the third of those "...and some salt and pepper and south west sauce". Same on deli counters (though I'm not too mad on chicken fillet rolls and hate breakfast rolls even though I like all the individual bits in there, so not at them too often). Closest might be them double checking it was the pepper jack cheese I wanted.

Will admit that I usually prefer to bring in my own lunch though, so I'm not there too regularly; typically only get my lunch out on a Friday.

People having the chats while you're standing there at the counter is a pain though, might just be me but I tend to notice it a lot more at the actual paying counter than delis or food service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

blinding wrote: »
    I'd say that when the ask 'Normal " people are they alright they are asking 'what can I get you ' or are you being served "

In your case they may actually be asking you 'Are You Alright " because perhaps you are looking at them like some sort of header.....:eek:

Perhaps take 'Are you alright as ".....well most of us know......;)

Strike and a miss there Mary, the institutionilsed no hopers in the local deli say it to every one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Wow, you are blindingly original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Don't do this. This is a d!ck move. 'Are you all right there?' is the Irish way of asking you what they can do for you. They're busy. Don't start that auld sh!te and expect the staff to smile and play along every single time it happens.

Sincerely,

Everybody who has to deal with the goddamn general public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

Haha, getting this worked up over interacting with a deli employee.

Edited. Don't be a dìck. - Kersplat.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    A petrol station or a Spar/Centra is not a Deli in my book. When what you're consuming is essentially rectal gristle in a bap, a bit of butter on the knife should be the least of your worries.

Very true. I go to actually delis where I am and it's like the best food you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Don't do this. This is a d!ck move. 'Are you all right there?' is the Irish way of asking you what they can do for you. They're busy. Don't start that auld sh!te and expect the staff to smile and play along every single time it happens.

Sincerely,

Exactly, it's a collaquialism. Any Irish person knows what it means. And the people who respond with "I'm alright, how are you?" always seem to think they are the first to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Chris.

I've often wondered why deli workers always seem to be in bad form. Now I know. Imagine how soul destroying it must be, listening to this type of ****e everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

DoozerT6 wrote: »

Sincerely,

A dick move, where did it move be to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Every normal person takes 'Are you alright?' in the spirit it's intended. Your attitude to it is infantile and, quite frankly, just being a prat. Any wonder people dealing with the public get soured.
    If they asked 'Are you being served?' you'd probably roll your eyes and say 'what's it look like?'.

I despair of the attitude of people towards others at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

You must go to some strange dell's if that's ALWAYS happening. Since I started working 22 years ago I have never come across deli workers as you describe. If they're all the same would you not ask yourself what's the one constant in these events?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

People are giving out about deli workers. I'd love to see a tread about rude and idiot customers. I have worked in a few jobs when I was younger where I had to deal with the public and looking back I learned a lot and it made me into a better person. For any deli workers reading this don't listen to the crap in this thread.hold your head high. If some is rude tell them to feck off and make there own sandwich. Lazy bollixes

• Advertisement

For any deli workers reading this don't listen to the crap in this thread.hold your head high. If some is rude tell them to feck off and make there own sandwich. Lazy bollixes

And pick your nose before putting the meat on the bread :pac:

People are giving out about deli workers. I'd love to see a tread about rude and idiot customers. I have worked in a few jobs when I was younger where I had to deal with the public and looking back I learned a lot and it made me into a better person. For any deli workers reading this don't listen to the crap in this thread.hold your head high. If some is rude tell them to feck off and make there own sandwich. Lazy bollixes

But there are rude customers AND rude deli workers, it can work both ways. Some deli workers are rude because that's who they are and nothing to do with being pushed to tipping point by customers.

You must go to some strange dell's if that's ALWAYS happening. Since I started working 22 years ago I have never come across deli workers as you describe. If they're all the same would you not ask yourself what's the one constant in these events?

Oh right so because you never experienced it I must be wrong is that it?

Oh right so because you never experienced it I must be wrong is that it?

No not at all, I'm sure there are loads of dicky deli workers. But if it happens so much to you, maybe you're the problem. Just something to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

No not at all, I'm sure there are loads of dicky deli workers. But if it happens so much to you, maybe you're the problem. Just something to think about.
    some on this thread love playing dicky dicky deliworker ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A lot of Irish male customers just grunt. They are incapably of pleasant conversation. The East Europeans staff have to photograph the food because their friends & family won't believe what we eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Discodog wrote: »
    A lot of Irish male customers just grunt. They are incapably of pleasant conversation. The East Europeans staff have to photograph the food because their friends & family won't believe what we eat.

I doubt that very much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Eastern Europe - famous for their wide and varied cuisine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Suas11 wrote: »
    I doubt that very much

Which bit ?

My friend is Romanian & she still takes photos even though she been working here for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Which bit ?

My friend is Romanian & she still takes photos even though she been working here for years.

The bit about them not believing what we eat.

Advertisement