Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Free Agency/Off Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Bryan Hoyer to 49ers

Another QB target the jets had expressed interest in gone, extremely slim pickings left at QB now. Will Geno get one more chance?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

phatkev wrote: »
    Another QB target the jets had expressed interest in gone, extremely slim pickings left at QB now. Will Geno get one more chance?

Could they go all in on a draftee?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Bryan Hoyer to 49ers

I'm happy with this to be honest. At least we have 1 qb on the roster now.

Can't be easy to sign WR's when you have no qb.

Could they go all in on a draftee?

I think they'd be mad to start any of the QBs coming out of this class, but you'd never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm happy with this to be honest. At least we have 1 qb on the roster now.

Can't be easy to sign WR's when you have no qb.

Is that the end of the Cousins rumours then or is Hoyer more of a backup?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Elvis Dumervil has been released, Steve Smith called it about 2 hours ago on twitter

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Doubt it's the end of cousins rumours. They'll need a backup in any case which is what Hoyer is.

I'd like to see them draft a rookie or 2 and let them all compete and see what they have come this time next year and if necessary spend a high draft pick in 2018 or go after one of the presumed free agents like cousins or garopolo.

49ers to sign WR's Goodwin apparently.

pats trading for Dwayne Allen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Even more leverage for the 49ers if they go to trade discussions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

7 teams now for Hoyer. What's the record?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Lions signing OT Ricky Wagner, which means they're moving on from Reiff presumably.
    Rumoured that he will make $9m per year. Not a bad deal I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Barry church to the jags
    4 years at $6m a season I've seen on the twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It amazes me how much money players get in FA every year when anyone with a bit of a brain knows that teams that normally succeed are built through the draft. I just don't get why we get players getting huge contracts every single offseason when it's clearly not the right way to do things.

The 49ers should not be going after Kirk Cousins, they need to build a team and a QB isn't exactly necessary this year because there is no chance of them having a great season even if they get one. They need to improve in a lot of positions and they should take a chance in the second or third round on a QB and hope they hit pay dirt. They can suck it up for a year while they improve other areas in their team like WR. In order for a QB to work out you need players who can catch a ball.

There is every chance they could get Mike Williams in the first round and get Watson maybe in the third and you have a pair right there who know each other. Watson could turn out to be a great one too.

They could go out and sign a veteran WR for reasonable money and somebody to plug the gap at ILB while they develop a draft pick. There is no use rushing to try and get back to the top immediately because all that does is drive up your cap numbers moving forward and leave you having to be careful with your wage bill in a year's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Brandon Williams maybe, but he's going to be looking big bucks as well

Wonder if they're planning on getting Hankins.
    Lionbacker wrote: »
    Lions signing OT Ricky Wagner, which means they're moving on from Reiff presumably.
    Rumoured that he will make $9m per year. Not a bad deal I suppose.

Very happy with that.

Also signed Paul Worrilow at MLB you'd hope he's just depth.

Quinn certainly doesn't wait around.

Hightower is in Nashville but it could be family stuff. However has also followed a lot of Titans and some of the beat writers on twitter and instagram...

Happy free agency day folks

Hope all your teams get the players they want.....

Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

eagle eye wrote: »
    It amazes me how much money players get in FA every year when anyone with a bit of a brain knows that teams that normally succeed are built through the draft. I just don't get why we get players getting huge contracts every single offseason when it's clearly not the right way to do things.

We bucked that trend last year to be fair. Vernon, Jenkins & Harrison were all big (huge) money signings and all 3 delivered in a big way. Took us from one of the worst to one of the best D's and took us to the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

By all accounts Hackenburg developed well last year, the Jet's didn't want to risk him in a bad situation.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    By all accounts Hackenburg developed well last year, the Jet's didn't want to risk him in a bad situation.

I've read a lot of conflicting reports on Hack, some saying he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, while others are saying he's developing nicely. Even if he has developed well, he's never even dressed for an NFL game, so imo you'd be mad to start him this season with what is going to be a pretty poor team. Also with Gailey retiring and the QB coach Kevin Patullo being fired was bad news for Hack, never great for a young needy QB to have a turnstile at OC/QB coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

HigginsJ wrote: »
    We bucked that trend last year to be fair. Vernon, Jenkins & Harrison were all big (huge) money signings and all 3 delivered in a big way. Took us from one of the worst to one of the best D's and took us to the playoffs.
    Giants made the playoffs but were never realistically going to win the NFC and while I haven't checked I'd imagine you are in a world of hurt with the cap this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Giants made the playoffs but were never realistically going to win the NFC and while I haven't checked I'd imagine you are in a world of hurt with the cap this season?

7m left after signing Marshall, but that's with JPP receiving the franchise tender of 17m.

If he gets resigned, we're probably OK, although we've big contracts on the horizon for Pugh, Richburg and OBJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Yeah the teams that consistently challenge are clearly built through the draft but FA is definitely a chance for GMs/HCs, who are on their last legs, to show some promise to the owners.

Dave Caldwell for example will be spending big again this FA, with rumours that Calais Campbell is on his way there. Id say he realises that this might be his last chance so he doesnt really have any other option

From what I can see the 49ers have signed or will sign:

Brian Hoyer QB ($6m per year Guaranteed, up to $9m per year with incentives)
    Marquise Goodwin WR (Up to $8m over 2 years)
    Pierre Garcon WR (Not confirmed yet, but seems to be SF bound).
    Malcolm Smith LB (No Salary details yet, but epxected to sign).
    Kyle Juszczyk FB ($5m per year, not sure how much guaranteed)

Add to that being linked with both Dontari Poe and Brandon Williams, either of which would take Johnathon Allen off the table for the number 2 pick really.

While there is a sizable "Bad teams Tax" on a lot of these deals the 49ers have cap space and they need to bring in a few players. Good moves for the most part, particularly with Hoyer and Smith I think.

Smith has experience in both Oakland and Seattle and would be a very good signing with SF moving to that 4-3 Under that Seattle run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Jesus, 5 million for a full back??

ScummyMan wrote: »

i think as one of the lads says "bad team tax"....

ScummyMan wrote: »

Yeah, its a lot but remains to be seen how much is guaranteed and indeed how he will be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Yeah the teams that consistently challenge are clearly built through the draft but FA is definitely a chance for GMs/HCs, who are on their last legs, to show some promise to the owners.

FA is also the opportunity to add the final pieces of a championship puzzle. It's fine (and true) to say you have to build through the draft, but look back at SB winning teams and you'll generally find a few key players that came in through FA. I would say however that usually they're not the splashy signings and the successful teams are those that draft and sign according to their needs - no point signing the league's best 4-3 linebacker if you intend to play 3-4 and he doesn't fit the scheme.

Interesting to have a think about the FAs who contributed to SB wins - here's 4 starters from the last 5 champs - some teams have a few more than others obviously, but there are always a handful of them sprinkled through even the franchises who really focus on draft & develop.
    Pats: Hogan, Long, Amendola, Bennett
    Broncos: Manning, Mathis, Daniels, Ware
    Pats: Amendola, Blount, LaFell, Revis
    Seahawks: Lynch, Tate, Avril, Miller
    Ravens: Boldin, Jones, Graham, Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, its a lot but remains to be seen how much is guaranteed and indeed how he will be used.

4 years at 21m with 10.5 guaranteed. Seems pricey, especially for a guy who's earned 2.725 total in his first 4 years!!

• Advertisement

You can't really compare rookie deals to FA deals though. If it works out at about $2-2.5M per year I can live with that.

Advertisement