Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Free Agency/Off Season

Options
  • 24-01-2017 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭

I see the Browns have tied down Jamie Collins long term with a 4 year $50 million contract ($26 million guaranteed). It really was a deal the Browns had to get done after trading for him so a good bit of business for them. The Browns are currently projected to have over $100 million in cap space this year. You can imagine that tieing down Terelle Pryor will be next up on their to do list.

The Giants really only have 2 players of note hitting free agency but it is one hell of a pair, Jonathan Hankins and JPP are currently set for free agency.

JPP has already came out and said that he has proved himself and wants to be paid, no more 1 year deals. With our large investment in Jenkins, Snacks & Vernon last year I feel that we won't be able to offer him top dollar & honestly I wouldn't want to. JPP is very good but not the beast he once was. I think he will be playing elsewhere next year.

Big Hank is able to get a lot of pressure up the middle on the QB for a man his size, if we could tie him down next to Snacks for the next few years our D would have a great base. Considering the power of the O-Line in Dallas it must be a priority, one way or another I think he will be with Big Blue next year.

I don't think the Giants will be big players in free agency this year, we don't really have the cap space and after last years splurge and successful draft I think we continue to build through the draft. Also our Achilles's heel (the O-line) is offering little in free agency.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

HigginsJ wrote:
    I see the Browns have tied down Jamie Collins long term with a 4 year $50 million contract ($26 million guaranteed). It really was a deal the Browns had to get done after trading for him so a good bit of business for them. The Browns are currently projected to have over $100 million in cap space this year. You can imagine that tieing down Terelle Pryor will be next up on their to do list.

That's not a bad deal. Certainly not the Von Miller money that he was supposed to be looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

That's not a bad deal. Certainly not the Von Miller money that he was supposed to be looking for.

Yeah I thought the same... but u have to wonder why (apart from him being so replaceable for cheaper) Belicheat had him out the door so fast. I wonder might he down tools when the $26m hits his account.

The Charger's Melvin Ingram is the next big OLB FA..... will be very interesting to see what he can get on open market.

Very important player for the LA Chargers. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to a bigger team to have a chance at the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Alshon Jeffery is a free agent after playing under the franchise tag this year. He was suspended for 4 games for PEDs but he'll surely get big offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Very important player for the LA Chargers. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to a bigger team to have a chance at the playoffs.

You won't see too many Chargers fans sorry to see him go if he gets anywhere close to Von Miller offer... he is simply not worth it. Has some of the physical tools but cannot finish... misses so many sacks and tackles it is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Alshon Jeffery is a free agent after playing under the franchise tag this year. He was suspended for 4 games for PEDs but he'll surely get big offers.

Bears FO seem intent on keeping him around if their EOS press conference is any indication. With Kevin White being anything but a sure thing, they probably feel they need to hold onto what talent they have here. Cap wise we can afford it but depending on Jeffery's demands (which are rumoured to be that he wants to be paid top 10 money) I dunno if we can do it. He's not worth top 10 money (certainly with his record of games missed, and his lack of production this past year even while on the field), but somebody might give it to him.

My feeling is that if we get in a new QB, which seems almost certain, they will want to keep him as a reliable target for the new guy. If we are rolling with a backup, particularly Hoyer, there is no need to have Jeffery because Hoyer just doesn't throw the ball to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

The Lions have a number of dilemmas coming up in free agency.

Firstly I'd hope we return Boldin but not on an amount exceeding his hit this year. Rafael Bush and Josh Bynes are similar stories solid players that are starters but especially with Bynes I'd be hoping we upgrade at their position in the draft. Bush had some impressive plays but I'd be able to live with Wilson and already fan favourite Killebrew.

The really big problem however will come on the offensive line. Both Warford and Reiff are both starters and just coming off their rookie contracts. Unfortunately the odds of keeping them both are exceedingly low. Warford had an excellent rookie season before regressing but is till a competent starter. He does seem to not quite be a fit for the Lions blocking scheme and could demand a fair sum in free agency. He's not someone I'd break the bank for and hope that Tomlinson moving across to his natural RG position would allow him to at least in some way live up to his first round billing. Reiff meanwhile is someone I really do want us to re-sign and I don't mind slightly overspending for. This is a young line that is finally coming together removing 2/5 of it would be a bad idea. There's also no one on the Lions to replace him and this will apparently be a weak draft for tackles. The one problem may be that Reiff will not play LT for the Lions with Decker seeming to be the LT of the future here. Reiff has 4 years as a starter at LT in the league so may look for free agent LT money. Which would be too much. Mid range LT money would be the absolute ceiling I would go for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Baltimore Ravens

Keep
    Brandon Williams DT - The guy is a flat out beast. Ozzie Newsome hit gold with this 3rd round pick from Divison II Missouri Southern. He's a class act with zero character concerns and a leader on defence. Doesn't have flashy stats and I don't think has much league wide recognition with fans but Ravens fans know his worth. I'd pay top 10 DT money but I think he'll want to test the market and leave. DT franchise tag money is a shade under 11 million and that's unlikely but possible

Ricky Wagner RT
    I don't know much about college football but I know Wisconsin produce good lineman. This 5th round pick made the RT spot his own and has done very well. I think he'll test the market and the Ravens tend to let offensive linemen walk with the exception of Marshal Yanda. I'd like him to stay but don't believe it will happen.

Anthony Levine FS
    Has started at corner and free safety for injury cover but mostly plays special teams. Very competent at this and I hope to keep for a 2 year deal a bit over minimum

Let test the market and maybe try to match

Kyle Juszcyk FB - How do you know an NFL player went to Harvard? The commentator will want to drone on about it every single game!! Juice is a modern kind of fullback, can block of course but more used for check downs too. A popular member of the team I think he will look at offers and get a matching offer from Baltimore

Lawrence Guy DE. I don't remember him at the Chargers, he joined Baltimore and quietly worked his way to be starter. Only 26 and it's a premium position. I think he won't be back and will get his payday

Release to FA
    Ryan Mallett QB - first things first was a model pro and yes, he never slept though practice :p After his winning start over Pittsburgh there was talk of shopping for picks but it never happened. I'd release to FA, I hope we draft a QB late and Mallet might be around later this offseason

Vlad Ducasse G
    I'm not the best at grading linesmen. Some say he was a turnstile, some say competent. The Ravens have some young guards and I would prefer they get a bump up the depth chart.

Kamar Aiken WR - Became the Ravens no 1 through injuries in 2015 and did well but in 2016 was pretty much a no 4. He deserves better elsewhere

Jerraud Powers CB - big reputation from Arizona, never delivered

Drive to the airport!!
    Matt Elam SS - called out Calvin Johnson as old and washed up when he was a rookie, dumbass. Did nothing for years through injury and incompetence. First round BUST

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2687501-nfl-free-agency-2017-breaking-down-each-teams-cap-situation

Bleacher Report have broken down the available cap space teams have. The top 3 with most space are the Browns ($100 million), Bucaneers ($84 million) and the 49ers ($83 million, although they can free up another $14 releasing Kaep)

Those in the worst positions are the Chiefs ($3.2 million, Dontari Poe & Eric Berry are impending free agents) Cowboys (negative $5 million, trading Romo clears $24 millions, releasing him clears $5 millions) and finally the J.E.T.S (negative $6 million, The team could release high-profile names such as Brandon Marshall, Darrelle Revis, David Harris and Ryan Clady. By releasing those four, the Jets will save $33.533 million against the cap)

The cap is expected to be $168 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Buccs with 84m. That's insane for a team that already has a decent base about it, and a young franchise QB. a decent FA and draft this year could see them push properly for the playoffs, and in two years time they should really be a force.

Be interesting to see how they fair.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Buccs with 84m. That's insane for a team that already has a decent base about it, and a young franchise QB. a decent FA and draft this year could see them push properly for the playoffs, and in two years time they should really be a force.

Be interesting to see how they fair.

These rookie QB's are an absolute steal, if you can hit one you have 3-4 years to hit gold. The Pats also have an insane amount of cap space, the 5th most space on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

The numbers being thrown out on that article are not very realistic, they involve all current members on current deals to stay on at those current deals.

E.g. That Chiefs number includes them paying Nick Foales 10.7 million next year, whereas they can cut him for no dead money (as the team designed the contract to be drawn up).

Just from the Chiefs one as I know them the best,
    Foales 10.7
    Colquitt 4.1
    Charles 6.1

Theres an additional 20 million in space already (net of dead money), not even considering moving around contracts, multiple smaller cuts etc.

Dont read too much into Cap coverage yet, we havent even hit the point where teams start publicly discussing out what they can spend this season.

conor222 wrote: »
    The numbers being thrown out on that article are not very realistic, they involve all current members on current deals to stay on at those current deals.

E.g. That Chiefs number includes them paying Nick Foales 10.7 million next year, whereas they can cut him for no dead money (as the team designed the contract to be drawn up).

Just from the Chiefs one as I know them the best,
    Foales 10.7
    Colquitt 4.1
    Charles 6.1

Theres an additional 20 million in space already (net of dead money), not even considering moving around contracts, multiple smaller cuts etc.

Dont read too much into Cap coverage yet, we havent even hit the point where teams start publicly discussing out what they can spend this season.

Not at all familiar with the Chiefs so that is good to know, def no way Foles would be kept around on that sort of money, we are similar in that we have about $20 million but cutting Victor Cruz (which will happen) saves $7.5 million.

That being said it does give at least an indicator as to who has what available and is a good starting point. No matter how much wheeling and dealing the Chiefs or Giants do our cap space would be dwarfed by the Bucs, Pats, Browns etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

HigginsJ wrote: »
    These rookie QB's are an absolute steal, if you can hit one you have 3-4 years to hit gold. The Pats also have an insane amount of cap space, the 5th most space on the list.

Unless like the eagles you are giving your backup starter money therefor negating any benifit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

At least they got shut of Bradford. I can completely see why the Vikings did the trade, but the Eagles were very fortunate that Teddy got hurt.

nerd69 wrote: »
    Unless like the eagles you are giving your backup starter money therefor negating any benifit

I didn't think Chase Daniel was on that much, thought it was a 3yr $21 million contract? $7 million, while high for a back-up, is well shy of even mid tier starter money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I hope Redskins pay over the top for Cousins. Not that I necessarily think that he's a bad QB, but I hate seeing them with so much cap space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Knex. wrote: »
    I hope Redskins pay over the top for Cousins. Not that I necessarily think that he's a bad QB, but I hate seeing them with so much cap space.

I'm sure they will, there's going to be a huge market for his services, and unlike Garropolo (or McCarron), there's no necessity to give up draft picks to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Knex. wrote:

I hear ye mate
    Least the cowboys haven't cap room either says you
    Was doing my sums and we'll not he cutting Romo before 1 June as its an extra 5m cap saving. The saving for cutting him now would still leaves neutral. By the 1 June mark they'll not be able to get any good free agency players so it'll be smart drafting for us again
    We'll restructure a few things and that'll bring us within cap before the season.

Em what happens if players retire? What's the cap hit if any to the team??

For the Patriots, Dont'a Hightower is the main priority. And I think Bill has shown as much with letting Collins and Jones walk. Hightower has fit perfectly into the Bruschi/Mayo defensive leader mould, and we've never been shy about rewarding that position. We extended Mayo in 2011 by making him the second highest paid ILB in the league so I wouldn't be surprised to see Hightower sign a big 5 year deal. Worst case scenario, he gets franchised tagged but he won't be playing anywhere else next year.

Malcolm Butler is a restricted free agent after the season. I'd love him to stay, but I don't think it will necessarily be as straight forward as a new contract offered and signed. I can see us tendering him to a first round offer sheet. An original round tender won't happen given he was undrafted, and I think more teams will be put off making on offer on a first round tender which hopefully means we get another year out of him for between $3m and $4m. Anyone willing to make an offer on that will likely be paying him top 5 CB money if they're giving up that high a pick, so I can't see us matching any offers.

Jabaal Sheard is likely going to be let walk. He's been disappointing this year, and his snap count backs that up. He's only been on the field for 55% of snaps, which is disappointing considering he was there for 51% last year despite Chandler Jones ahead of him on the depth chart. I think we all thought he'd contribute a lot more given Jones' trade, but it just hasn't happened. His play has dropped and it's looked ominous since he was health scratch for the 49ers game.

Martellus Bennett loves it here, and I think we'd like him to stay given Gronk has missed 24 games in 5 years, excluding the playoffs. I just hope he doesn't ask for ludicrous money - he seems a bit happier here than he has on his other teams so hopefully that counts for something. I can unfortunately see someone else with cap money to burn offering him more than he warrants, and his own injury concerns might prevent us from offering too much.

Sebastian Vollmer won't be back. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire tbh. He's been a great servant and one of our all-time value draft picks, but injuries have caught up with him. He's achieved a lot here so I wonder how much desire he has to remain in the league given a lot of his career goals will probably have been accomplished by now.

Michael Floyd won't be brought back either, unless there's zero interest elsewhere and we get him on a vet minimum. Even then it's doubtful. Being a healthy scratch as soon as Amendola and Mitchell were fit again is writing on the wall for me. I think picking him up was a kicking-the-tyres exercise while we were down a few players at that position.

Chris Long should be back. I often think of him as pushing 34/35 for some reason, he seems to have been around forever but he's only 31. He has plenty of miles left in the tank as this season has shown and is a great presence in the locker room by all accounts. I think it's in our interest to work out a team friendly deal with him for another year or two. It's not as if we're stacked at that position either. We've shown willingness before to keep veterans after their one-year deal if it works out.

Alan Branch has been a really good player for us. I'd like him back - he's in a similar boat to Chris Long in that I always think of him as being much older than 32. But I can see someone else making him an offer of more than we're willing to, and maybe of a longer duration than we'd like to.

Logan Ryan is a tricky one. I'd like him to stay but he's very inconsistent. He was really, really good last year and was then terrible to start this year. He's recovered somewhat and has put together a few good games, but again we've seen some average to above-average corner backs get obscene contracts the past couple of years and it wouldn't surprise me if someone blew us out of the water compared to what we were willing to offer him. Ultimately, I think he moves on to a bigger contract somewhere else. What he has in his favour is leverage giving how poor Eric Rowe and Cyrus Jones have been for us this year.

Brandon Bolden is a pretty much exclusively special teams now. We obviously like him, but up to this season he would feature as relief at running back at least - 62, 28, 55 and 56 carries from 2012 to 20125. He only had 1 carry this year. Matthew Slater already takes up one "special teams only" spot on the roster, I wonder if we can afford to carry Bolden in the same role. I doubt it.

LeGarrette Blount - well, we've been here before. On one hand, we've seen he has no problem taking the bigger offer elsewhere. On the other hand, teams have seen that it didn't work out well for Pittsburgh. Ultimately, Blount has been playing for close to vet minimum for a few years now, and after the best season of his career I won't blame him for taking one last big contract. Or if not big, at least the biggest one he gets offered which won't be from us I'm afraid.

Duron Harmon will have to be content with a backup role if he wants to stay. On one hand, we don't have much behind McCourty so it's a pretty safe role he has as backup. On the other hand, he may want to see if anyone is willing to try him as a starter. I don't know if he's shown enough for anyone to do that, so maybe someone can offer him more snaps at least. I'd like him to stay in his current role.

James Develin is one of the better full backs in the league. Another one I'd like to keep and being a full-back there may not be much clamour for him.

Barkevious Mingo - I've really no thoughts on. Special Teams only, he'll likely not be extended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

These are great, thanks. I'll have a go at the Vikings tomorrow.

Fair plays lads
    I'll do up a cowboys one too

D9Male wrote: »
    At least they got shut of Bradford. I can completely see why the Vikings did the trade, but the Eagles were very fortunate that Teddy got hurt.

One of the more fortunate trades in recent memory for any team Im not entirely sure the fact that Philly is hosting the draft this year didn't play a part

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I didn't think Chase Daniel was on that much, thought it was a 3yr $21 million contract? $7 million, while high for a back-up, is well shy of even mid tier starter money.

''Tis a lot for a guy that looked awful not to mention the fact that the eagles will likely have to restructure/cut some guys I'd rather they didn't in order to maintain cap flexability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

For the Patriots, Agree on Dont'a Hightower I expect us to pay him and I feel we will get a deal done with out Franchising him.

Malcolm Butler is a restricted free agent after the season. This is where our Tag will I feel to get one more year out of him.

Jabaal Sheard became such a waste. Had huge hopes for him but I really would like to know the full story behind his season. I believe there is more to it but agree he will be let go

Martellus Bennett We win the Superbowl and he is definitely staying and I can see him take a performance based contract that give him close to what he wants but benefits both parties. With Gronk a year by year doubt to hard to let Bennett walk.

Sebastian Vollmer I see him as a 50/50 shot. I think it will come down to if he decides to leave will it be for more money or as JMH said retirement. I think we might see him stick around for at least one more season on a low vet contract.

Michael Floyd IF the price is right I would like to gamble on Floyd and bring him through camp at least and see can he give his full abilities. Im hoping we get a bargain basement deal done with him.

Chris Long I actually think Long should be on the high priority list. Not at the top of it but definitely look for a contract that suits both parties.

Alan Branch I agree JMH I would like a deal done with Branch. He was fantastic against Bell last week and all round solid all season long.

Logan Ryan The guy we love to hate. Such a frustrating player and there is times he is god awful and then times he is fantastic. Definitely a hot and cold player but as JMH said the guys around him will be the reason we might do a deal with him. Rowe and Jones were terrible. (Watch Rowe light it up in the bowl :pac:)

Brandon Bolden he has become another Slater. Happy to be part of the team and he is doing a good job. Cheap deal id say will be done here.

LeGarrette Blount - I just dont know with LGB. For me it will come down to money and what he expects. If he is smart he will look for a long contract that see his career out and pay him enough. But there will be other teams wanting to get him on board.

Duron Harmon His days in a Pats uniform will come down to wether or not we find his replacement in the Draft or FA. Then again our draft needs will come down to who we keep and dont keep

James Develin not a lot of teams use FB anymore so we should be able to keep him.

Barkevious Mingo - Same as JMH I hoped he would live p to something but these also have really no thoughts on him. Special Teams only, he'll likely not be extended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

On Chris Long, he took a pay-cut ($1m base salary) to play with us this year because he wanted to be on a contender. If we win the Super Bowl, I think he's less likely to stay than if we lose, he could see it as he got his ring, now he can get one last pay day. On the flip side, he's now got the taste for success, no way he could go back to a losing franchise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The Pats might prioritise Hightower, but I think it should be Butler.
    He gets put on the oppositions No1 receiver and should have been a Pro Bowl selection.
    Ryan is a No2 corner who often gives up plays; imaging him and Rowe as our 1&2, if we lost Butler, would be a return to the 3rd and long completions D that we had for years.

The Pats might prioritise Hightower, but I think it should be Butler.
    He gets put on the oppositions No1 receiver and should have been a Pro Bowl selection.
    Ryan is a No2 corner who often gives up plays; imaging him and Rowe as our 1&2, if we lost Butler, would be a return to the 3rd and long completions D that we had for years.

History tells us we wont pay Butler what he will probably want and tagging him might be the only way around it.

TOss Sweep wrote:
    History tells us we wont pay Butler what he will probably want and tagging him might be the only way around it.

I'd take Butler to big d
    Gets him out of the afc for Pats
    Dunno if we could pay his worth but we need corners

• Advertisement

Looking at the Free Agency the amount of quality with expiring contracts. Quite a Large Amount

Offensive

Quarterbacks
    Matt Schaub, Atlanta Falcons
    Ryan Mallett, Baltimore Ravens
    EJ Manuel, Buffalo Bills
    Brian Hoyer, Chicago Bears
    Matt Barkley, Chicago Bears
    Mark Sanchez, Dallas Cowboys
    Kellen Moore, Dallas Cowboys
    Dan Orlovsky, Detroit Lions
    Case Keenum, Los Angeles Rams
    T.J. Yates, Miami Dolphins