Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Free Agency/Off Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

FA is also the opportunity to add the final pieces of a championship puzzle. It's fine (and true) to say you have to build through the draft, but look back at SB winning teams and you'll generally find a few key players that came in through FA. I would say however that usually they're not the splashy signings and the successful teams are those that draft and sign according to their needs - no point signing the league's best 4-3 linebacker if you intend to play 3-4 and he doesn't fit the scheme.

Interesting to have a think about the FAs who contributed to SB wins - here's 4 starters from the last 5 champs - some teams have a few more than others obviously, but there are always a handful of them sprinkled through even the franchises who really focus on draft & develop.
    Pats: Hogan, Long, Amendola, Bennett
    Broncos: Manning, Mathis, Daniels, Ware
    Pats: Amendola, Blount, LaFell, Revis
    Seahawks: Lynch, Tate, Avril, Miller
    Ravens: Boldin, Jones, Graham, Williams

I'm sure I read that a third of the starters in this year's Super Bowl were free agent signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

adrian522 wrote: »
    You can't really compare rookie deals to FA deals though. If it works out at about $2-2.5M per year I can live with that.

Yeah that's true, but the $5m average (if that's what it turns out to be) puts him in top 10 running back bracket and double any other FB. Shanahan must have plans for him beyond lead blocker/ blitz pickup to be willing to pay that for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm sure I read that a third of the starters in this year's Super Bowl were free agent signings.

7 Pats FA Starters: Hogan, Bennett, Lewis, Branch, McClellin, Ninkovich, Chung (possibly counts as FA)

6 Falcons FA Starters: Levitre, Mack, Chester, Sanu, DiMarco, Freeney

That's 13 out of 44 - not including undrafted free agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Knex. wrote: »
    7m left after signing Marshall, but that's with JPP receiving the franchise tender of 17m.

If he gets resigned, we're probably OK, although we've big contracts on the horizon for Pugh, Richburg and OBJ.

We are fine this year, although could do with JPP agreeing to a deal to sign some o-line help. You'd have to assume Hank is gone.

Projecting ahead to next year then we are in a bit of trouble. You'd imagine DRC will go with a cap saving of $7 million next year, the OBJ deal will have the biggest impact. Hard to see a situation where it is less than $20 million per year. OBJ is slated to earn $3.3 million this year, god those rookie contracts are a blessing!!

The Eli question will come into focus in a big way next year, I'd be asking him to take a bit of a pay cut if he continues to play as is.

• Advertisement

Looks like DeSean Jackson is off to Tampa, will be interesting to see the deal. They will have big money tied up in the WR spot once Mike Evans signs a new deal, but when you have a rookie QB contract you can afford it I guess!!

Not a huge fan of Jackson but credit to Tampa for putting Jameis in the best possible spot to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

HigginsJ wrote: »
    We are fine this year, although could do with JPP agreeing to a deal to sign some o-line help. You'd have to assume Hank is gone.

Projecting ahead to next year then we are in a bit of trouble. You'd imagine DRC will go with a cap saving of $7 million next year, the OBJ deal will have the biggest impact. Hard to see a situation where it is less than $20 million per year. OBJ is slated to earn $3.3 million this year, god those rookie contracts are a blessing!!

The Eli question will come into focus in a big way next year, I'd be asking him to take a bit of a pay cut if he continues to play as is.

The Giants have the fifth year option on Beckham ($8m I think) and then if necessary can tag him the year after. Beckham and Collins have big contracts coming up in a couple of years but by then Eli could have gone and Snacks, Vernon & Jenkins will be at the stage where they are cuttable if necessary.

Medium-term I'm more concerned about finding a way to retain Pugh and Richburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Patrioys are signing Stephon Gilmore from the Bills,, according to Schfeter. Means Logan Ryan is definitely gone, interesting to see how it plays out with Malcolm Butler now....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Nick Perry returning to Green Bay. I'd say for an obscene amount of money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭cosatron

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Nick Perry returning to Green Bay. I'd say for an obscene amount of money

any word on lang and hyde

• Advertisement

cosatron wrote: »
    any word on lang and hyde

Nothing concrete, but from what I've read it looks like Hyde is on the way out.

Very poor off season again so far from Green Bay imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

eagle eye wrote: »
    The 49ers should not be going after Kirk Cousins, they need to build a team and a QB isn't exactly necessary this year because there is no chance of them having a great season even if they get one. They need to improve in a lot of positions and they should take a chance in the second or third round on a QB and hope they hit pay dirt. They can suck it up for a year while they improve other areas in their team like WR. In order for a QB to work out you need players who can catch a ball.

There is every chance they could get Mike Williams in the first round and get Watson maybe in the third and you have a pair right there who know each other. Watson could turn out to be a great one too.

They could go out and sign a veteran WR for reasonable money and somebody to plug the gap at ILB while they develop a draft pick. There is no use rushing to try and get back to the top immediately because all that does is drive up your cap numbers moving forward and leave you having to be careful with your wage bill in a year's time.

The 49ers have around $100m in cap space, I’m not sure how you’re expecting them to be needing to be careful of their wage bill in a year’s time. For all the bad things that should be said about the 49ers front office they’ve been pretty good with player contracts so when more details are released I’d expect them (especially the likes of Garcon) to be heavily front loaded so won’t hurt the team down the line.

I agree on building through the draft but at the same time you can destroy good rookies by putting them in a team bereft of leadership, between retirements and departures over the last few years and the recent cuts, and bereft of talent meaning they’ll be getting destroyed every week. The 49ers are also changing their offense and defense and they have brought in guys who either played under that system (Garcon, Hoyer, Smith) or fit it (Juszczyk, Goodwin) which is vital to make them better in both the short and long term. I really don’t think the 49ers fall into your comment of ‘rushing to try and get back to the top immediately’, they’re just trying to steady the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Kenny Britt expecting a 4/5 year deal @ 8mil per years it seems, thoughts?

the man got paid

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

butler to NO for Cooks :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

You're joking surely

I'm not even a pats fan and i'd say that's beyond stupid

Pats have Stephon Gilmore now, there's merit in it.

Torrey Smith to Philly, 3-year $15 million deal.

Good piece of business that, how is he only 28?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It'll be interesting to see how much of his fall in the last few years was down to the 9ers being a trainwreck and how much was himself. He is very one dimensional so if he has lost some pace he could be in trouble to perform

According to PFF, Aglohor and Smith were the 2 worst graded WR's last season :D

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    You're joking surely

I'm not even a pats fan and i'd say that's beyond stupid

Ted Ginn signing with the Saints.. pieces are falling into place to make this happen

The Rams have signed Robert Woods to a 5 year $39 million deal. :confused: Someone help me out understanding this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Ted Ginn to the Saints. A speedster to offset the loss of Cooks perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The Rams have signed Robert Woods to a 5 year $39 million deal. :confused: Someone help me out understanding this one?

its a bit of a head scratcher alright. They've two fairly average WRs making a lot of money there right now

My F5 button having been logged in to Twitter all day:

forum.php?mod=oppo_attachment_xf&aid=7842

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ted Ginn to the Saints. A speedster to offset the loss of Cooks perhaps?

As long as he learns how to catch a ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Terrell McClain to redskins
    4 years for north of $21m

Fills a hole at DT for them

Anyone know this guy? He looks like a twat so I'm skeptical.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiMoro/status/839888728361422848

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Jaysus lads, this is brilliant. The buzz had been that this would be a relatively quiet FA period this year, but it is wild.

Advertisement