Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Free Agency/Off Season

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just reading there on the Titans forum i'm on.

Titans will play 10 games next year in states that have no income tax (8 in tennessee, 1 in florida and 1 in texas)

Expect that will appeal to some FA's

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Brandin Cooks being linked with the Titans and Eagles in a trade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Titans will play 10 games next year in states that have no income tax (8 in tennessee, 1 in florida and 1 in texas)

Weird, your game checks are taxed based on where the game is played not the location of your team. Seems very unusual as people travel for work all the time and are taxed in their home state, is that true?

If true, no wonder why people hate New England so much :pac:

Hazys wrote: »
    Weird, your game checks are taxed based on where the game is played not the location of your team. Seems very unusual as people travel for work all the time and are taxed in their home state, is that true?

Yep its true, tbh im not sure why its different for NFL players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Brandin Cooks being linked with the Titans and Eagles in a trade

Yes. Would prefer him over Alshon tbh. I can see us and the Saints swapping first round sports (5 and 12) with Cooks possibly thrown in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Hazys wrote: »

No wonder everyone wants to play for America's team i guess???
    How bout them cowboys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Seems like they get a special deal:
    Jock Tax Explained
    The jock tax is calculated by the number of "duty days" a player spends in a game function, such as practice, training, playing, or meeting, beginning with spring training and ending on the last day of the season, including playoffs. Even an injured player who travels with the team has to pay jock tax, whether he practices with the team or not.

Generally jock tax is determined this way. Let's say a quarterback earns the average of $3.84 million in 2013 and is deemed to have worked 200 to 210 duty days over the course of the year, not counting the playoffs. His salary will be attributed to each state by the number of days worked there. At tax time, therefore, each state gets its share of his tax liability. You can see why these states love the jock tax. Not only do the games themselves bring revenue, but the visiting players spend their own money while they're there and, on top of that, they owe taxes for the privilege of playing in those states and also in certain cities. It's a sweet deal . . . unless you're the taxpayer.

Tennessee doesn't have state income tax, but it has what's known as a "privilege tax," which is a flat rate of $2,500 per game charged to professional athletes who play in Tennessee (regardless of income, up to three games for a maximum of $7,500 per year). NFL players, however, aren't charged this privilege tax on NFL income, whether they're Tennessee residents or visiting teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The reason for the rule is that "visiting players spend their own money while they're there" but no player is out spending any money before or after the game. Before they game they are in the team paid hotel, eating team paid food and after the game they are flying straight home in 99% of cases.

What a surprise, a tax rule that benefits the rich.

Brandon Marshall released. Be nice if Pats grabbed him

TOss Sweep wrote:
    Brandon Marshall released. Be nice if Pats grabbed him

Jesus above jets are opening up huge cap space now
    They'll be splashy free agency movers now,Jeffrey a target to replace Marshall??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The jets love bears castoffs. So almost definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

brinty wrote: »
    Jeffrey a target to replace Marshall??

No way they go after Alshon, they already have an in house replacement for Marshall.

Jesus above jets are opening up huge cap space now
    They'll be splashy free agency movers now,Jeffrey a target to replace Marshall??

I cant see them making too many big splashes in FA, they seem to be using this offseason to get rid of bloated contracts. I think they might make a play at a big name CB. Or maybe Bowles will take a look at some of his former players, like Tony Jefferson or Kevin Minter.

On the offence I think they'll be looking at QBs and LTs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Surely the eagles will look at Marshall or Jeffrey, they have one of the weakest WR groups in the league. Need to give Wentz some help to aid his development. Both have drawbacks though, Marshall's age, and Jeffrey suspension and injury

coco0981 wrote: »
    Surely the eagles will look at Marshall or Jeffrey, they have one of the weakest WR groups in the league. Need to give Wentz some help to aid his development. Both have drawbacks though, Marshall's age, and Jeffrey suspension and injury

Isn't the open secret that Desean is going back to Philly?

And looking at overthecap they dodn't ahve much cap space, unless they are restructuring some money.

The other problem with Marshall is Marshall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I go back and forth on this depending on what I read, clearly the guy has had his issues but how much of this is tied to BPD is open to question.

That being said, I still think he is more than capable of producing. I wouldn't be sad to see him as a Giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Isn't the open secret that Desean is going back to Philly?

And looking at overthecap they dodn't ahve much cap space, unless they are restructuring some money.

Ya you're right looking at cap numbers now and the eagles have 3rd least after cowboys and chargers. Jeffrey will be looking for a big contract. How much will Marshall command at his age? Their were rumours that Jackson to Tampa was a possibility but that may have been Winston talking without anything behind it

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I go back and forth on this depending on what I read, clearly the guy has had his issues but how much of this is tied to BPD is open to question.

That being said, I still think he is more than capable of producing. I wouldn't be sad to see him as a Giant.

There was no real problems with him at the Jets, I know the sample size was pretty small with him only being there 2 years

I thought I read about him being involved in more locker room problems this year? Maybe it was all just reporter media nonsense.

I loved Marshall at the Bears but his departure seems to have been pretty much inevitable and he became a huge distraction. I know he has a serious disorder but that doesn't change the fact there's a reason he's never settled in one team, despite all his talent. I'd like to see him go to a serious contender and finally play in some playoffs. But would a serious contender want him there, if his effect on team chemistry is what is rumoured to be?

• Advertisement

I thought I read about him being involved in more locker room problems this year? Maybe it was all just reporter media nonsense.

I loved Marshall at the Bears but his departure seems to have been pretty much inevitable and he became a huge distraction. I know he has a serious disorder but that doesn't change the fact there's a reason he's never settled in one team, despite all his talent. I'd like to see him go to a serious contender and finally play in some playoffs. But would a serious contender want him there, if his effect on team chemistry is what is rumoured to be?

Sheldon Richardson had a problem with him, but Sheldon's a d1ck by all accounts. Marshall said the whole team weren't giving it there all, which they clearly weren't and Sheldon took massive offence to this and held a grudge all season. Apparently Marshall tried repeatedly to build a bridge with Richardson but he was having none of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Apparently he doesn't want to leave NY, so would take a discount for Giants. Not sure we have the cap space, though. We've bigger concerns.

Although Eli does need that big body receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Knex. wrote: »
    Apparently he doesn't want to leave NY, so would take a discount for Giants. Not sure we have the cap space, though. We've bigger concerns.

Although Eli does need that big body receiver.

I would find a way to work the room to get Marshall in. He would make things a lot easier for OBJ & Sheppard.

The giants with him in there, if they can afford it, would have the best receiver corps in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

I would find a way to work the room to get Marshall in. He would make things a lot easier for OBJ & Sheppard.

I'd rather pay Hankins and keep that DLine in tact or try and fix the OL as Flowers doesn't have hands.

If I were the Giants I would low ball Marshall at offer him a low risk contract full of incentives. Ball in their court really seen as he wants to stay in NY. If I were the Pats I would throw an offer at him also. Foxboro only a 3 hour drive to NY and 1 hour flight.

Rappaport with an interesting tweet:

Play a potential and unprecedented three-way deal forward… #49ers inquire about Cousins. #Redskins talk about Tony Romo. #Cowboys get picks.

Cousins 28 and Romo 36 be interesting to see if the Redskins take a Rookie in the draft also. Who knows what Romo has left in the tank especially being so injury prone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Surely Washington would get picks in that deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Guffy

adrian522 wrote: »
    Surely Washington would get picks in that deal?

But wouldnt they not just give them to the cowboys? I mean what would you offer washington for cousins?

Personally i would say 1st round pick, take it or leave it cause we can just sign him next year knowing he will lean towards the niners with KS there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

For the 49ers I'd give up the number 2 pick for washington's number 17. But I'd prefer to wait a year and get him for nothing. Can't see Dallas trading Romo to Wasington in any case.

I'd like to see SF make a run at Taylor, if that is a no go then one of the journeymen QB's or even cutler and then look to cousins or the draft in 2018. No sense in giving up the farm for cousins, the 49ers don't need to overpay for a QB this year.

Advertisement