Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC goes FTA: 10th July

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

If these are official government licensed deflector systems surely this blatant rule breaking by the company(s)concerned should be national news without delay!! Who's going to blow the whistle?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

None of these, nor chorus for MMDS should have go t licences.

Having got them it doesn't much matter how they get the feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I was under the impression that the only reason they could broadcast BBC, ITV & Channel 4 was due to the European legislation governing "overspill" of terrerstial TV from neighbouring countries.

If they can take the feed from satellite - how come we have to put up with terrible picture break up of Channel 4 on NTL in Dublin? Surely NTL would prefer to re-broadcast C4 from satellite instead of using the signal from Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Casema (my Dutch cable company) takes their BBC 1&2 signals from satellite. As they do for the RAI Uno signal, and the German TV (ZDF, ARTE, WDR) signals.

So Casema obviously adding their own interpretation to "overspill". :D

Originally posted by jdempsey
    I was under the impression that the only reason they could broadcast BBC, ITV & Channel 4 was due to the European legislation governing "overspill" of terrerstial TV from neighbouring countries.

If they can take the feed from satellite - how come we have to put up with terrible picture break up of Channel 4 on NTL in Dublin? Surely NTL would prefer to re-broadcast C4 from satellite instead of using the signal from Northern Ireland?

I wonder where Chorus get Sky News from?

I was in an aparment in Limerick City. Sky News was unwatchable with herring bones, poor contrast etc. The TV set itself is perfect.

NTL and Chorus *PAY* for the UK terrestrials. And charge the viewer much more. The quality is scandalous. They deserve to go bust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

NTL and Chorus *PAY* for the UK terrestrials. And charge the viewer much more. The quality is scandalous. They deserve to go bust.

Here, here! Well said. :):)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Heh, this reminds me of a few days ago where I was working at a house and the cable company came along to take down their MMDS antenna while I was installing Sky Digital! Sadly, they took the chimney lashings too so I had to fit another lashing and put up aerials for the 4 Irish terrestrial channels. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

Reminds me of what UTV told me three months ago:

Thank you for your letter about the availability of UTV on Sky Digital in the Republic of Ireland.

Almost on a daily basis we are wrestling with the challenges which this project presents. There is no agreed interpretation of the European Directive- some assert that it does permit re-transmission on satellite (as on cable) and others differ.

The rights situation is also complex because of format rights and the nature of the ITV Network Programme Supply Agreement, which is relatively constraining. The contracts with independent producers are also complex. Your suggestionabout the cable operators taking their feed from Sky who would have cleared the rights is not something we can do, given the nature of ITV's contract with the cable operators. Whereas a monolithic orgnaisation like the BBC can move to Astra 2D, a federation like ITV cannot do this easily, and I am not certain that they will want to do so. I think he means FTA on Astra 2D

Your suggestions are very interesting; please be assured that we are working very hard to place UTV on Sky. There is considewrable customer demand, and UTV and Sky are unanimous in their determination to make it happen.

Yours sincerely

Alan Bremner

Director of Television

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Actually there is no problem with delfector or cable companies taking satellite as their source for UK terrestrial channels, so long as this has been cleared with the channel concerned and the platform owner. In any case, it would be the broadcaster / platform owner which would be taking legal action, not COMREG or any other government authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i am confused by that. that isn't terrestrial overspill so how can they do it when we're not allowed (officially) to view ITV and Channel 4 via satellite

• Advertisement

If you pay your Irish TV licence

1) You can legally watch any Terrestrial or Satellite Clear Channel.

2) Yon can legally watch any Terrestrial or Satellite Encrypted channel, provided you use the real card/ pay proper subscription/ get only what your card or subscription entitles you to.

Both by Irish and EU law it is not illegal to have and use a FTV card unless it is a fake (pirate) card. It is not illegal to use a Canal+ or TPS or whatever "real" card either.

The organisations that issue a card may not want to give you one.

There is no contract on a FTV card as it is a gift. YOu ring and ask and they give it to you. Even if you did pay, the terms on the cardboard backing are invalid as you were not shown them before the goods supplied (e.g. sign for UK subscription). Even the UK sub contract and UK sub viewing card contract has no legal standing outside of UK, other than to continue receiving the pay tv , you must continue to pay.

We don't live in North Korea or Iran. If you pays your TV licence and keeps away from "pirate" cards you can watch whatever you want from wherever.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Indeed,

It is up to the broadcaster to limit their broadcasts to territories where they have the rights. It is them that will get into trouble for broadcasting into territories where they have no rights, not you the end viewer.

As for NTL - they have always taken the signal off air from Northern Ireland, for their analogue service. This does have advantages, such as full teletext reception. I for one have never had any problems with BBC/ITV pictures on the NTL service (Channel 4, however is another question entirely, but seems to be okay nowadays).

The signal for NTL Go Digital is a digitally originated one, as one can confirm by simply watching the channels (they are in 16:9 and BBC TWO NI has its extra digital programming). I believe the source for this is DTT, but can't confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

FTV card positioning from Tuesday 29th July (radio times)

101 BBC One local
    102 BBC Two local
    941 BBC One Scotland
    942 BBC One Wales
    943 BBC One Northern Ireland
    944 BBC One London
    945 BBC One North East & Cumbria
    946 BBC One Yorkshire
    947 BBC One East Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
    948 BBC One North West
    949 BBC One West Midlands
    950 BBC One East Midlands
    951 BBC One East (East edition)
    952 BBC One East (West edition)
    953 BBC One South East
    954 BBC One South
    955 BBC One South (Oxford)
    956 BBC One West
    957 BBC One South West
    958 BBC One Channel Islands (Launches Autumn 2003)
    959 BBC Two England
    960 BBC Two Scotland
    961 BBC 2W (BBC Two Wales)
    962 BBC Two Northern Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Noticed that if you re add the UK regions you now get their full titles on screen, ie. BBC North West , BBC South etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

Originally posted by carrolls
    FTV card positioning from Tuesday 29th July (radio times)

101 BBC One local
    102 BBC Two local
    941 BBC One Scotland
    942 BBC One Wales
    943 BBC One Northern Ireland
    944 BBC One London
    945 BBC One North East & Cumbria
    946 BBC One Yorkshire
    947 BBC One East Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
    948 BBC One North West
    949 BBC One West Midlands
    950 BBC One East Midlands
    951 BBC One East (East edition)
    952 BBC One East (West edition)
    953 BBC One South East
    954 BBC One South
    955 BBC One South (Oxford)
    956 BBC One West
    957 BBC One South West
    958 BBC One Channel Islands (Launches Autumn 2003)
    959 BBC Two England
    960 BBC Two Scotland
    961 BBC 2W (BBC Two Wales)
    962 BBC Two Northern Ireland

So where will BBC3, BBC4, CBeebies etc. be parked? Or will I need to use other channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thats a FTA list, I think. If you have a UK sub or no sub, then the EPG information applies.

I would guess that BBC3 and BBC4 will be in their UK EPG positions (115 and 116), like wise for News 24 and parlianment (507/508) and for the kiddies (not sure on these two).

If you have an Irish sub all the channels in the list above, along with 3, 4, news24, parliament, Cbbc and Cbeebies would all need to be tuned in via Other Channels.

On another related topic, I wonder will the Irish EPG remain the same after 29/7 or will they introduce a 'regional menu' - which will of course be redundant / only have one choice in it anyway.

In maybe less than 24 hs there will be BBC on the FTA EPG.

It WONT affect the ROI/Irish EPG at all.

To get it, esp. if you have cancelled a sub, put in either a ordinary plastic card or upside down Sub card and disconnect mains and reconnect.

DO NOT remove card at all

Ignore Error message and after a few minutes 101 should be BBC1 London. Press Guide to see all the FTA stations

S4C may be missing. It will work via other channels (Rugby). As might one or two FTA Pop video channels.

I'll post settings for any channels missing tomorrow.

BBC 1 regions are now available on the Sky EPG between 941 and 962. (Sorry, Not on an Irish Card)

Interesting new BBC Faq.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/dsatanswers.shtml#wrong_region

on the FTA EPG it is quite handy because directly after BBC1 and BBC2 are BBC3 and BBC4. i think so anyway

The CBBC and CBeebies are in the 600s

With the upside down / FTA EPG (ideal if you have cancelled Sky) the only missing FTA Channel seems to be Chart Hits TV

Add it via "Other Channels" instead of BBC if you use the Digibox witha FTA EPG

Freq 11487
    Pol V
    SR 27500
    FEC 2/3 (probabily, my PC is auto on that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

I was doing the card upside-down thing at first and it worked fine, eg BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4 in order, etc... There were no channels on 106, 109, 401,etc.

Today, however, whilst I'm still getting all these, I'm also getting a "Problem with your card" message on all the other sky channes (Sky One, Uk Gold, Sky Sports, etc..) and also, interestingly, ITV2!!!!

This could be very iritating WHEN I cancel my Sky Subscription, or will this not be the case then?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

When I insert my card upside down and reboot the box I get no BBC in the EPG. :confused: I tried a software download. (edit: false alarm, works now after the third try)

Yes Ozzie, I also noticed that the FTA epg now also lists all the pay channels you can't get (whereas before they were invisible). That's a real pain, it turns channel surfing into channel crawling. Sky being annoying as usual!!!

i had my neighbour whinge about this earlier tonight. why would Sky bother. it is them acting the bollocks* IMO

*excuse the French

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

And with that, a great thread comes to an end.

/me salutes and unsticks.

Actually, its not over..... more rights issues.....

Hollywood in screen battle with BBC

Satellite switch imperils viewers' choice of movies

Matt Wells and David Teather in New York
    Thursday August 7, 2003
    The Guardian

The BBC's plans to screen the first Harry Potter film and other blockbuster movies are under a cloud because of a potentially damaging row with the big Hollywood studios.

Warner Bros, Universal and 20th Century Fox have called in their lawyers to sort out a dispute that has arisen from the BBC's decision to broadcast its channels unencrypted: the studios are concerned that their films can now be picked up in countries around Europe in which the corporation does not own the relevant rights.

Relations between the BBC and some of the studios are said to have broken down because of the row, which could also hit the negotiations over the third series of 24.

Earlier this year, the BBC ended its conditional access deal with BSkyB, which ensured that its output could only be seen by holders of viewing cards in Britain. The BBC moved its channels to a new satellite, which it claimed had a more accurate "footprint" over Britain, meaning it no longer needed to scramble its signals to stop them from leaking to mainland Europe.

But the studios fear BBC channels can now be seen all around Europe, and some want the corporation to re-encrypt its services. At the least, contracts will have to be redrawn and the studios placated.

If the row is not resolved, the studios could - in theory - stop the BBC showing their films: the corporation wants to make Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone the centrepiece of a ratings-busting Christmas schedule.

One executive at a rival broadcaster said: "The BBC are up against the wall on this one. I really don't see any way out of it for them, other than going back to some sort of conditional-access deal. It's not just films; it's right across the board: sport, drama, imports, the lot."

A Warner source said: "The BBC came to us and told us they were going to do this. We are waiting to assess the impact."

The source said that Warner, which makes the Harry Potter movies, had not yet threatened to pull the films.

In March the BBC director general, Greg Dyke, trumpeted his split from BSkyB's encryption service as a triumph that would save the BBC £85m over five years; since then, the move has been dogged with problems. ITV, Channel 4 and Five are now unavailable to satellite viewers who do not have a subscription to BSkyB; the corporation has also been forced to sign a new agreement with BSkyB to carry all of its regional services, meaning the move may not save as much as originally envisaged.

Now, some Hollywood studios are said to have suspended relations with the BBC, and are talking only through lawyers. The Motion Picture Association, Hollywood's lobbying arm, has also taken up the studios' case. A BBC spokeswoman said: "Some negotiations are on hold. But it would be untrue to say that nothing is moving forward. It's more difficult with some than others. They are concerned about overspill from the new satellite; we are confident that the overspill is a lot less than it was before."

The Guardian certainly has always had a bee in its bonnet about the recent BBC move to FTA. There was always going to be new negotiating because of theBBC move, but the Guardian turns every whisper into a large scale corporate crisis.
    Dyke will end up showing all the movies in question and will probably negotiate a better deal for the rights than he has now with the studios.
    Bidding for terrestrial rights is big money, and the Hollywood studios won't be willing to remove the main player from the equation as it will lose them millions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jlad1

Already mentioned in the FTA thread.

Merged.

Advertisement