Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC goes FTA: 10th July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Many thanks for that WestBrit,

So we know for sure the delay is happening, just we dont know how long, for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

The BBC should call Sky's bluff. After all, if the BBC goes to the 900 channels, who is it going to harm more, Sky or the BBC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

If the Beeb goes to the 900's, the only people to be harmed will be those with weak hearts who haven't ventured there before. :D

Imagine what getting Tantalise TV instead of Jeremy Paxman might do to some folk......

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jmcbride

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    The BBC should call Sky's bluff. After all, if the BBC goes to the 900 channels, who is it going to harm more, Sky or the BBC?

The BBC, I suspect, because it's human nature to concentrate on the top of the order. If BBC1 switches from 101 to 963, for example, most people will get bored with paging through seven or eight EPG screens very quickly, and will probably be too lazy to remember the three digit channel numbers for a more direct access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

If it is of any interest skydigital.mediabullet.co.uk are saying in their channels coming soon banner that BBC FTV will be Mon 14th July!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by johnnyq
    If it is of any interest skydigital.mediabullet.co.uk are saying in their channels coming soon banner that BBC FTV will be Mon 14th July!!

That date could "be subject to change" though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 skyeye

speaking of FTV i need a ftv card for c4/itv send me a private message or email, i'm willing to pay a reasonable price
    Thanks;)

Originally posted by skyeye
    speaking of FTV i need a ftv card for c4/itv send me a private message or email, i'm willing to pay a reasonable price
    Thanks;)

A sphambhest.

OK, one request and I'll leave it here, I've removed all the other posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

According to Satellite TV magazine June edition,
    The ITC have sided with the BBC in that BBC 1 and BBC 2 will be on 101 and 102 in Non encrypted mode.
    Sky have said that the regional option won't be available for 2 years at the earliest.
    So BBC 1 and BBC 2 will be the London versions for 2 years. The regional versions of BBC 1 and 2 will be grouped at the bottom of the Entertainment Menu option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭a bientot

The change above re 'free' BBC via satellite dish affects those who made a choice to take the BskyB package for the package itself....lots and lots of tv channels.......with lots and lots of ads with the odd bit of a programme thrown in here and there.
    Those who are on cable in Ireland for the most part only want a few channels... so have no intention of taking more cable channels (via digital system) and this is the main reason that ntl and Chorus don't worry too much about promoting their digital services.
    Comreg have a different agenda because they want the cable services to hand back as many frequencies as possible up to ten in all from 35Mhz onwards.
    In Bruxelles 39 channels are provided in analogue for 123 euro per year (basic - cheapest - package) and there's no mention of hundreds of new digital channels....................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by carrolls:
    <SNIP>Sky have said that the regional option won't be available for 2 years at the earliest.
    <Snip>The regional versions of BBC 1 and 2 will be grouped at the bottom of the Entertainment Menu option.

TWO YEARS!! For a five minute piece of code. Either they have a very paranoid SW QA dept or trying to call BBC's bluff.

I'm sure we can all live with London BBC Free To Air and the Regions in the 200s region when we reboot with ROI card upside down ... :D

I actually prefer the London version of BBC1.
    Bet the guys at BBC1 NI are worried now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i prefer it as well. BBC1 NI is really terrible on Friday nights with the local stuff. thank god i have a choice of 3 different versions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

As the magazine is stating that ITC are siding with the BBc does this mean that there is still a chance for MAY 31?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭muffinhead

i hate BBC1 NI, that is why I made the effort to get an FTV card off some friends in England and not the relatives up north!

Is it me or do you just want to slit your wrists when you watch BBC Newsline?;)

Also they have the crap :o regional stuff that overides the main BBC programming!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

have a very paranoid SW QA dept
    i dont think they have SW QA dept at all, the amount of bugs i have seen in the software is unbelieveable, it makes microsoft look brilliant:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Swings and Roundabouts really
    You already should have 4 BBC2 regions (102 / 960,962,962)
    & UTV usually beats most other ITN regions...
    & C4 / C5 are not regionalised apart from the Ads

Though some years ago one of the Lads I worked with took a day off with the intention of relaxing in front of the usual easter epics - feet up - can a' beer - Ben Hur - serious veg-ing - and instead he got six channels of updates every half hour on the latest on the Good Friday Agreement ...

Re: Bugs / Sw - wouldn't it be nice to add a few features:
    a) previous channel button
    b) adding other channels to favorites
    c) assigning numbers 0-099 to favorites and/or other channels
    d) displaying the frequency of channels in services
    e) frequency search (OK big warning about waiting HOURS)
    f) Disable red button
    g) skip channels you are not subscribed to

- Unfortunately since all of these measures would mean you more easily choose to not watch Ads (Ad breaks & subscription info & non-EPG channels) - probably a snowballs chance of it happening.

BTW: What is the latest SW version and which is most stable one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Koyaanisqatsi

& UTV usually beats most other ITN regions...
    What?:confused:
    Oh yes, its that Julian Simmonds factor.
    "And now on the UTV, Les Battersby is up to no good etc etc.":ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    UTV usually beats most other ITN regions...

:eek:
    what other regions have you seen. UTV for me is the worst. even that Channel Islands one is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

The BBC has delayed the launch of a new satellite service that would enable thousands of Irish households to receive its eight digital television channels and all its radio stations for free.

The service, which was originally expected to begin broadcasting later this week, will not now begin broadcasting for at least six weeks due to a dispute between the BBC and BSkyB.

The delay has been caused by the BBC's decision to challenge a threat by the dominant satellite provider BSkyB to relegate the BBC's channels on its own electronic programme guide (EPG).

BSkyB's EPG is a menu function for its digital television services that lists all available channels and programmes in an easily accessible form for users.

BSkyB's British customers currently receive BBC1 and BBC2 at the prominent channel positions 101 and 102 on their electronic programme guide. But following the BBC's decision to broadcast its channels on a rival satellite, BSkyB has threatened to shift the BBC channels to the bottom of its EPG, thereby making them more difficult for consumers to access.

BSkyB considers the BBC's support for a rival satellite system called Astra 2D as a competitive threat to its own platform. It also means that BSkyB has lost a lucrative contract with the BBC to provide access to its own platform.

The BBC said yesterday it had referred the dispute to the British regulator, the Independent Television Commission, because it believes BSkyB must give its channels due prominence because of the BBC's public service remit.

A BBC spokesman said the regulator had asked both BSkyB and BBC not to take any action that would be detrimental to viewers until it had ruled on the issue. This means the BBC will not begin broadcasting on the new satellite until July, according to the spokesman. BSkyB would not comment on the dispute.

The delay to the BBC's new satellite plan means consumers in the Republic will have to wait at least another six weeks before they can access the new service.

The service is potentially a competitive threat to BSkyB and the cable firms that currently dominate the Irish pay TV sector.

It would enable BSkyB subscribers to let their subscriptions lapse and still receive eight digital BBC television channels and all its radio channels for free. In addition, up to 100 other television channels would be available to any consumer with a satellite dish and a standard set top box.

BSkyB subscribers could use their existing set-top box and satellite to access the new services but cable customers would have to purchase new equipment, which retails for about €380.

But with subscription to the basic TV packages offered by BSkyB, Chorus and NTL costing about 18 per month it would take less than 18 months for users of the system to recoup the cost of buying this satellite equipment.

Despite the delay to the BBC's satellite plan, the broadcaster said yesterday it did not affect its commitment to broadcasting for free on the Astra 2D satellite .

The BBC channels that will be available under the new service include BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, and BBC4. BBC News 24, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC Parliament will also be broadcast via satellite.

The Minister for Communications, Mr Dermot Ahern, said last month his department would consider how the BBC's satellite plans would affect the Republic.

• Advertisement

BSkyB subscribers could use their existing set-top box and satellite to access the new services but cable customers would have to purchase new equipment, which retails for about €380.
    Actually the cheapest FTA Digital box is now £79 Sterling in What Satellite? magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    :eek:
    what other regions have you seen. UTV for me is the worst. even that Channel Islands one is better

I think that UTV has the largest audience share of any ITV1 region. I really don't know why.

Originally posted by Ro
    snip

Hi Ro, whats the source on that?

Hi Ro, whats the source on that?
    Sounds like 'Irish Times Speak' to me.
    But where did they get the news of that BBC announcement yesterday?

Yes, carrolls, since ireland.com went PPV, I dont look there anymore, but I see it on the News Digest.

Its the 1st reputable publication to run with that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by Richard
    I think that UTV has the largest audience share of any ITV1 region. I really don't know why.

Because they count numbers in the republic too. Still can't see how ITV London wouldn't beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I would guess that it's not the actual number of viewers but the percentage of viewers available.

I must say that I've always had a dislike of UTV and would watch almost any other ITV region in preference to it. I guess it has something to do with growing up with all my favourite programmes being interrupted by the legendary announcement - "Would key-holders in the Falls Road please return to their premises".

On the main topic. From the article quoted by Ro -

"BSkyB considers the BBC's support for a rival satellite system called Astra 2D as a competitive threat to its own platform."

It makes you wonder whether the people who write these articles have the first clue about the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

And it's not as if it would be too difficult to find out the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

Originally posted by carrolls
    Sounds like 'Irish Times Speak' to me.
    But where did they get the news of that BBC announcement yesterday?

It is indeed the Irish Times. It was written by Jamie Smyth - their technology journalist.

I saw the bit about the Astra 2D rival system this morning and I have to agree it's badly researched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    Because they count numbers in the republic too. Still can't see how ITV London wouldn't beat it.

No, I'm talking about audience SHARE within Norn Iron. I think they've got a higher percentage of the market share than any other ITV1 region.

Advertisement