Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC goes FTA: 10th July

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Under 12 hours to go !

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Well yes I've got all the UK terrestrial channels. But for those who can't get CH4 or five or ITV, it's going to be a lot hard for them to get these channels without taking out a UK sub and all the hassel this causes.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have a Scottish sub and when BBC go FTA, there is a very good chance that the satellite BBC Scotland will not show Scottish Premier League. They will probably only have it on BBC Scotland terrestrially unless they somehow come to some sort of agreement with Setanta who hold the rights to show the games outside Scotland.

Although with that said, RTE show some of the Celtic games... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

They're coming on at 6:00 am? I was hoping it would be in 35 minutes from now... :D I'll check anyway, you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

BBC1's BS and TW are FTA, watching on non-digibox. 10819 v 22000 5/6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Nothing FTA at 8.00 am (except usual)
    By 8.30 am BBC TW and BBC BS FTA.
    Receiving on PC with Hard Disk recording (Best Digibox / Sky+ quality and TV out...)

No BBC on FTA Digibox EPG. I think that might change on 29th.

I've limited EPG info Watty, but it's only now and next programme info - Sky's EPG isn't supported by too many non Sky boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just checked 10.773 for BBC3 etec, and I'm getting 'no signal'

I can get BBC OX and a few others. Are the other channels coming on later today, or have I the wrong freq. Strange that I'm not getting a signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

will is be possible to get these channels through the other channels menu once they have been tuned in or a normal sky digibox? Will I have to reboot with the card upside down?

Cheers

Red

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by redzer007
    will is be possible to get these channels through the other channels menu once they have been tuned in or a normal sky digibox? Will I have to reboot with the card upside down?
    They'll work through Other Channels even with your Irish sub card inserted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

Frequencies for BBC channels via Digital satellite for non-sky equipment

Tuning frequencies for national BBC Television Services

Astra 2D Satellite
    Transponder 45
    Frequency:
    10.77325 GHz
    Horizontal Polarisation
    Symbol Rate:
    22.0 Mbaud
    FEC5/6

Channels Available
    BBC ONE London
    BBC TWO England
    BBC THREE
    BBC NEWS 24
    BBC ONE NI
    BBC FOUR
    CBBC
    CBeebies Astra 2D
    Transponder 47
    Frequency:
    10.80275 GHz
    Horizontal Polarisation
    Symbol Rate:
    22.0 Mbaud
    FEC5/6

Channels Available

BBC ONE Scotland
    BBC TWO Scotland
    BBC ONE Wales
    BBC 2W
    BBC TWO NI Astra 2B
    Transponder 22
    Frequency:
    12.129 GHz
    Vertical Polarisation Symbol Rate:
    27.5 Mbaud
    FEC2/3

Channel Available
    BBC Parliament

Tuning frequencies for Regional BBC Television Services - Not Available until 29th July

Tuning frequencies for national BBC Radio Services

Astra 2D Satellite
    Transponder 47
    Frequency 10.80275 GHz
    Horizontal Polarisation
    Symbol Rate 22 Mbaud
    FEC 5/6

Stations Available
    Radio 1
    Radio 1 Extra
    Radio 2
    Radio 3
    Radio 4 FM
    Radio 4 LW
    Radio 5 Live
    Radio 5 Sports
    Extra 6 Music
    BBC 7
    Radio Scotland
    Radio Wales
    Radio Ulster
    Asian Network
    World Service
    World Service Extra
    Radio nan Gaidheal Astra 2D
    Transponder 45
    Frequency 10.77325 GHz Horizontal Polarisation Symbol Rate 22 Mbaud FEC 5/6

Stations Available
    Radio Cymru

Please remember from today, 10th July, you will no longer need a card to access BBC services

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/dsat_add_frequencies_ns.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i am sure that most here will remember that letter we got with the Sky rag before BBC1 and BBC2 arrived on the Family Package in the ROI. it said an increase in subscription was needed to cover the costs. seeing as they are only paying for EPG placement now i think we should lob a few emails off in Tony Balls direction to get BBC3, BBC4 etc. on the EPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

If that did happen that would strengthen the minister's case as in today's IRISH TIMES the bbc said they had no plans to expand in Ireland. Anyway they wouldn't make a profit from the BBC being on IRISH EPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,995806,00.html

Sky is preparing to withdraw the three main commercial TV channels from up to a million homes in a dispute that threatens the government's digital broadcasting plans.

ITV1, Channel 4 and Five will "go dark" because the BBC has decided to stop paying for the viewing cards that decode the satellite signals.

Chris Bryant, Labour MP for the Rhondda, called on the government to step in and resolve the issue. He said the affected viewers would have to switch back to their analogue aerials to receive the main channels - against the government's policy of converting the whole country to digital TV by 2010.

Until now, the BBC has paid for the viewing cards that decoded the satellite signals for all the "free to view" channels - the BBC's services, the three terrestrial commercial networks and stations such as Sky News, CNN and Turner Classic Movies.

But yesterday the BBC started broadcasting its services unencrypted, after moving to a new satellite. ITV, Channel 4 and Five are unwilling to take up the cost.

According to independent television commission estimates, 660,000 households have a set-top box connected to a satellite dish but do not subscribe to Sky. Some analysts put the figure nearer a million.

Sky was in the process of upgrading the cards before the BBC announced its decision to broadcast "in the clear" - customers with new cards will not be affected.

Analysts say ITV has the most to lose: the government offers it a financial incentive for every viewer it converts to digital.

Originally posted by Icehouse quoting Media Guardian
    Until now, the BBC has paid for the viewing cards that decoded the satellite signals for all the "free to view" channels - the BBC's services, the three terrestrial commercial networks and stations such as Sky News, CNN and Turner Classic Movies.
    Hardly deliberately inaccurate but it does make the BBC look like they'd been treating Time Warner and Rupert Murdoch like a charity.

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    i am sure that most here will remember that letter we got with the Sky rag before BBC1 and BBC2 arrived on the Family Package in the ROI. it said an increase in subscription was needed to cover the costs. seeing as they are only paying for EPG placement now i think we should lob a few emails off in Tony Balls direction to get BBC3, BBC4 etc. on the EPG

I notice if you have a cancelled Irish subscription with the card in, BBC one and two NI are in the clear on 214 and 215 with the full benefit of the Irish EPG information, ie being able to scroll through the programme guide as normal whilst watching the channel ( which of course you cannot do when viewing them through other channels ) and the use of the programme planner.
    This EPG service is available without paying a penny to sky or paying the UK license fee.

Meanwhile RTE etc up at the top of the EPG have the blue screen and the message to phone sky, even though your Irish TV licence is paid.
    How Ironic:rolleyes:
    mm

Originally posted by johnnyq
    If that did happen that would strengthen the minister's case as in today's IRISH TIMES the bbc said they had no plans to expand in Ireland. Anyway they wouldn't make a profit from the BBC being on IRISH EPG

good point. they must use that money to provide a better service. how about giving half to ITV and the other half to Channel 4

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    how about giving half to ITV and the other half to Channel 4

ROFL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Sports rights issues and FTA

I see that the Ulster SFC GAA Final is not on BBC 2 NI on satellite, but it is on analogue. While the game is on terrestrial, and I presume cable, BBC 2 NI on satellite are showing what the network is, that is Moto GP and the golf.

i noticed that too, (i had to check on Aertel what BBC were showing up north due to getting terrestrial BBC2 from Wales) but it was on Network 2 anyway. i hope the FA Cup is unaffected next season

• Advertisement

GAA transmission will presumably be an ongoing issue (or perhaps not an issue at all if they just don't broadcast it) with the beeb going free for all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

could this be the same as when rte first went on sky?
    remember then the gaa wouldnt allow rte to broadcast the games on sky sat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by DMC
    Sports rights issues and FTA

I see that the Ulster SFC GAA Final is not on BBC 2 NI on satellite, but it is on analogue. While the game is on terrestrial, and I presume cable, BBC 2 NI on satellite are showing what the network is, that is Moto GP and the golf.

When this happened before, DTT did not show the GAA either as they couldn't do it seperately. I wonder what happened this time?

DTT carried the same feed as analogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

I was chatting to a person yesterday and he says " i read in the paper that 8 bbc channels are coming soon, they have them in Dublin already, so we will have them down here soon" , true story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Listening to WLR here in Tramore yesterday morning they mentioned the new BBC service as an option to NTL. So presume more people out there know about the BBC going FTA.

Originally posted by arkles
    I was chatting to a person yesterday and he says " i read in the paper that 8 bbc channels are coming soon, they have them in Dublin already, so we will have them down here soon" , true story :)
    Hehe, right up there with that story someone reported here a while back about the Sky installer who swore blind reception would suffer in the future because of all the Sky dishes going up and taking the available signal. There's always at least one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

A little off topic (but with bbc the cause maybe not )

I was in a house yesterday, and the ppl there receive the UK channels over a licensed deflector system, they are now getting errors on CH4 saying this channel will cease shortly ( or something to that effect ) please phone xxxxxx number.

so they are obviously getting the UK terrestrial channels off a sky digibox with a s1 uk sub or solus card, and rebroadcasting same naughty, naughty.

also if the ppl phone the sky telephone number shown on screen can the deflector company get in trouble ?

just thought id share that bit of info with u all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yes, they will get into trouble. You are not allowed to re-broadcast UK terrestial channels using a feed from satellite. You have to take the feed from an terrestial signal.

Hence NTL in Dublin give us such a terrible feed of Channel 4!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I know of another area that does this. Everytime there was a sky software upgrade you would see channel 998 instead of C4 for a number of hours or days.

I was thinking it was bit of a grey area.

I wonder are we talking about the same area.

Advertisement