Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC goes FTA: 10th July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Oh don't talk to me about UTV! All those current affairs programmes - the ultimate cure for insomnia :o ! I hope sky will give us the option to select (or manually tune in) our own ITV region if UTV comes to the Sky ROI service!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by muffinhead
    Oh don't talk to me about UTV! All those current affairs programmes - the ultimate cure for insomnia :o ! I hope sky will give us the option to select (or manually tune in) our own ITV region if UTV comes to the Sky ROI service!

Dream on. Look how they control the BBC.(Well did).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The only good thing on UTV was RPM Motorsport! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by muffinhead

Well at the moment, ITV1 and Channel 4 operate an "all or nothing" system on their channels - they either all decrypt (if you're in the UK and have the appropriate card) or none of them do (if you don't have a card or have an ROI card). I think this saves them money, so I doubt they would change it.

Originally posted by irishgeo
    Dream on. Look how they control the BBC.(Well did).

This was the BBC's doing, though, so it wouldn't affect their rights. And, of course, within the UK, only BBC ONE was restricted by region all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by Richard:
    <snip>Channel 4 operate an "all or nothing" system on their channels - they either all decrypt (if you're in the UK and have the appropriate card) or none of them do <snip>
    I think there are 5 other C4 you can add via "Other Channels"
    The C4 regions only differ in adverts.

You can add all the other ITVs in "Other Channels" (Except ITV2), but there mostly is little point as very often they only differ now in Adverts.

Some variation on Sunday Matinia Films (sp). Ulster and Scotland seem to have the most variation from other ITVs, so about 3 covers it.

(all assuming you have a FTV card, UK sub or cancelled UK sub, i.e. not an ROI card.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Something about needing 1m viewers before it was worth their while adding a new advertising region - maybe it was another station..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Something about needing 1m viewers before it was worth their while adding a new advertising region - maybe it was another station..

I would assume they have that quota of potential viewers already on Sky Digital in the South.

byte

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

Well, since it was worth their while giving E4 a different advertising region (ROI) then it's definitely worth their while doing the same for their main channel, Channel Four. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭maisflocke

Originally posted by Ro
    It is indeed the Irish Times. It was written by Jamie Smyth - their technology journalist.

I saw the bit about the Astra 2D rival system this morning and I have to agree it's badly researched.

Badly researched??

not researched at all, if you ask me.

How could Astra 2D be a rival to Sky? they also use transponders on 2D :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

What is the bbc frequency?This thread is so big I cant be arsed going through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by Tha Gopher
    What is the bbc frequency?This thread is so big I cant be arsed going through it all.

I am also interested in this frequency

byte

Astra has confirmed which transponders on Astra 2D will be used to broadcast the BBC's channels on a free-to-air basis later this year. They will be transponders 45 (10.773GHz/H, SR 22,000, FEC 5/6) and 47 (10.802GHz/H, SR 22,000 FEC 5/6).

HTH

At last its May 30th, the original D-Day for the Beeb going FTA.
    This means that because Sky extended the BBC's contract by a Month, our next D-Day is June 30th. This is the date the BBC will end its new contract (1 Month) with BSkyB.
    Interesting to see what happens on this date.
    In the meantime we can enjoy the new BBCi interface.

Originally posted by irishbyte
    Well, since it was worth their while giving E4 a different advertising region (ROI) then it's definitely worth their while doing the same for their main channel, Channel Four. ;)

Yes, though there would be less to gain from an ROI region on Channel 4, since there is a already an NI region on Ch4 which they could use to show ads relevent to the South. But if they had the capacity, they'd probably do it if/when Ch4 is on Sky on ROI.

Does Channel 4 have a seperate advertising region for Wales? After all, Welsh viewers can get proper Channel 4 on every multichannel platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

As today is the 31 th MAY 31 th MAY edit> that didn't turn out right !!<edit

What is the betting that some tech. will make BBC free to air anyway ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Richard
    Does Channel 4 have a seperate advertising region for Wales?

viewers in Wales get the London advertising region

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Ro
    It is indeed the Irish Times. It was written by Jamie Smyth - their technology journalist.
    Jamie gets lambasted on a regular basis over on the IOFFL forum(s) for less than dedicated research. Let's say it wouldn't be the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 waifster

I recently bought a Televes FTA box. After getting it hooked up i found that none of the BBC channels were on it and although the Irish channels were there, they were blocked. Has the BBC channels not come on yet or do i have to do a manual search?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Here's the latest news that I've read on Media Guardian, contained in a story about people over 50 getting Freeview (!?!) -

"The BBC has also reiterated its determination to start broadcasting its channels "in the clear" on digital satellite, regardless of the decision of the independent television commission, which recently intervened in the row between the BBC and Sky over whether the broadcaster was able to demote the BBC's channels to a lowly position on its viewing guide.

The ITC has yet to rule on the matter but the corporation said it was determined to press ahead with the plan, whatever the watchdog's decision.

Carolyn Fairburn, the BBC director of strategy, said the corporation had set a date of mid-July to switch off Sky's encryption system, a move the corporation believes will save it £85m over five years.

For the first time viewers will be able to receive BBC channels over digital satellite without a special viewing card and Ms Fairburn hinted that, over time, it hoped the platform would grow into a free alternative to Freeview."

Full story at -

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,973928,00.html

By the way this thread could possibly be merged with the existing "BBC to go FTA in May" thread (although that thread could maybe do with a name-change too - maybe just "BBC to go FTA" ).

What do you think Damo ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Oh yes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by waifster
    I recently bought a Televes FTA box. After getting it hooked up i found that none of the BBC channels were on it and although the Irish channels were there, they were blocked. Has the BBC channels not come on yet or do i have to do a manual search?
    Unless something catacyslmic happens the Irish channels will stay blocked. For a long time. The teletext ought to work though.

Probabily you need to update the Televes box "transponder listing" to get the BBC. The Radio ought to work except 5Live and 5Extra, The rest in 14th July ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The BBC channels wont be FTA till early july. RTE were never FTA so you wont get them till they tell Sky to go shove which is not likely to happen for a long time.

From MediaBullet (again) -

"10/06/03 BBC slips FTA plans

In addition to the previous news, we can exclusively announce the the BBC have pretty much firmed up their plans for broadcasting their digital channels in the years to come. Basically, it would seem that they have resigned to the fact that they will place the regional BBC1 services and alternative BBC2 national regions to the mid-900's, from EPG approx. 950 to 970, althought the exact positioning is yet to be finalised. BBC1 London and BBC2 England will reside on 101 and 102 across the UK, with a region list available by accessing BBCi. There should be a formal announcement in the next 7 days, and we will bring you more on this story as we get it."

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    a region list available by accessing BBCi

so all BBC1 and BBC2 regions will be available without the need of adding them to Other Channels. sounds good because it will put less strain on the constantly deleting Other Channels list. all the English regions are practically identical except for regional news anyway

Maybe not.

There's nothing to say that they'll appear on the Irish EPG (RTE have 101 and 102 for a start).

We may still have to use "Other Channels".

what i meant was selecting a region through BBCi on either BBC1 NI or BBC2 NI which will surely still be on the EPG

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    what i meant was selecting a region through BBCi on either BBC1 NI or BBC2 NI which will surely still be on the EPG

The question now framing up is: Where will BBC1 & 2 be on the Irish EPG?

I assume the Irish EPG is not going to change at all.
    They are not going to put all BBC regions on the Irish epg.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by carrolls
    I assume the Irish EPG is not going to change at all.
    They are not going to put all BBC regions on the Irish epg.

It would be ironic if BBC ONE and TWO NI appeared on the ROI EPG in their current places, whilst viewers in Northern Ireland itself had to go to the 900s to find the channels.

If the BBC channels appeared in the upper 200s it wouldn't be so bad...

Advertisement