Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

ó F&#237 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yep it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Fantasy

I know I gave preferences but when you really think about it they're all the one story ... all just a continuation of the last. :D:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Fantasy wrote:
    I know I gave preferences but when you really think about it they're all the one story ... all just a continuation of the last. :D:p
    I agree with you! It's realy hard to say which one's your favourite because they are all esentially the same thing, and they're all interlinked anyway

I guess I just have favourite parts to the whole story .. you'no like funniest bits , small enjoyable story lines. I guess I chose my preferences on which books my most favourite parts are in !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

Fishie wrote:
    I agree with you! It's realy hard to say which one's your favourite because they are all esentially the same thing, and they're all interlinked anyway

i agree too. every book is good for individual reasons but its the whole overall storyline that makes the books what they are.

my favourite thing about the HP books is the way something is referenced ever so slightly in one book and in another book it becomes a major part of the overall story line.

For instance, the thestrals. man, the whole theory behind them was amazing. And in the very first chapter of the very first book, when Hagrid flew in he mentioned he was on Sirius's bike, which shows that JK Rowling really does/did have all the books planned out in detail before she started.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

hated them from the moment they were born, but my cousin forced me to read them and it was painful!! I went mad! And its not like I approached them with the negative attitude I tried to work with them but no, it wouldn't work. It was terrible!!

Le Rack wrote:
    hated them from the moment they were born, but my cousin forced me to read them and it was painful!! I went mad! And its not like I approached them with the negative attitude I tried to work with them but no, it wouldn't work. It was terrible!!

WoW I think your the first person Ive ever come across that hated them !! I mean I know plenty of people that dont like them but to actually hate them ... :confused::(

At least you tried to read them I guess ! :p

my favourite thing about the HP books is the way something is referenced ever so slightly in one book and in another book it becomes a major part of the overall story line.
    I love that too! you know that room they use for the DA meetings in OOTP? I had completely missed Dumbledore's reference to that very room during the Yule ball in GOB - I had to go back and check just to be sure! It's amazing the way she does that with the books. Like you said, the thestrals were ingenius too - when I read the first book, I assumed that the carriages were being drawn by some sort of charm or something, it never even OCCURED to me that it might be invisible horses (I mean, would it occur to anyone?)
    Anyone have any ideas as to what little details might be picked up on and expanded in the sixth and seventh books? This thread has already mentioned Dumbledore's weird look at Harry in his office - I think it's also significant that
    Sirius died in such a weird way
    , I reckon he'll find a way of coming back or at least of contacting Harry, otherwise he would have just been killed by avada kedavra or something. Apparently it's also significant that Lily's wand is good for charm work (remember Mr Ollivander said that way back in the Philosopher's Stone?) I also think Hannah Abbott is going to become a more important character somehow. So anyone have any more ideas?

LoLth: here's one idea. try to use spoiler tags if you are referenceing something important to the plot of the previous books. Some people may not be as far along as you are and its not fair to spoil their enjoyment. Think of it as
    BRUCE WILLIS IS DEAD ALL ALONG!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

The mirror Sirius gave him must have some signifigance. She also said somewhere (can't remember where) that it is important that lily's wand was good for charms. Nice pick up ya little Fishie! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

i did! I really tried to give it a chance cuz such a huge number of people seemed to enjoy it I thought "hm! cant be that bad!" but it was bloody awful!!!
    Sorry Pot fans!!
    hehe POT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I'm re-reading the Goblet of Fire at the moment, and I got thinking this morning about Krum? He hate's it at Drumstrang, we don't know anything about his parents or who he's descended from, he fancies Hermoinne and at the end of the GOF Dumbledore says that Hogwarts doors are open to anyone at anytime that feels they would like to come back.... i.e; if things get dangerous in Drumstrang or if Karakoff starts acting like a death eater then you can come back here....
    I think that Victor Krum is a good contender for the HBP.....

Could very well be.....but remember Karakoff disappears at the end of the book, so he's no longer the principal....I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yowsaa

HMMMM and theres sumtin goin on between Krum and Hermione , which is soooo very wrong Hermione and Ron belong together! ! :rolleyes:

Yea, they do. It's so funny the way poor Ron gets pis*ed off about Krum and Hermonnie in GOF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I can't wait for the HBP, it took me about a week to read OoTP, and even then I think I read it too fast, my friend read it in about two days and he was gloating and everything, but I don't like reading books too fast because when you speed-read you only pick up the major details, you don't get the minor thinggs, and its the little things in life that matter!

byw, just to go back to this whole debate about who the HBP is, it cant be either Neville or Malfoy, both of them are pure bloods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Marts wrote:
    I don't like reading books too fast because when you speed-read you only pick up the major details, you don't get the minor thinggs, and its the little things in life that matter!

Nope I disagree I think that some people just generally quicker than others, for instance I read the Order of the Phoenix the day I got it, but I don't think I lost out on anything. However I'm gonna try not to read the next one so quickly because it's disappointing when you're finished and you have to wait another year + for the next book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

I love the Harry Potter books, but the wait between them is awful and makes me forget all the smaller details. I don't reread them much.

My favourite one is definitely 'The Prisoner Of Azkaban'. That introduced some great characters.

I didn't like 'The Chamber Of Secrets' or 'The Goblet Of Fire' as much, because they scared the crap out of me.
    I'm easily scared. :D

*Angel* wrote:
    it's disappointing when you're finished and you have to wait another year + for the next book.
    I hate the way they used to come out every year, and now there's SUCH a long wait between books! I used to be the same age as Harry Potter, he first one came out when I was 11. Now I'm nearly 19 and in this book he'll be 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 pennylane22

I think all that adds to the exicitement, i was 20 when i read the books first and I rem wishing I was 12 again. I mean actually wishing! Its very sad, so ad.

who did ye think was gonna be offed in the Order Of The Phoenix?
    I thought it was gonna be Neville, I thought he was gonna fight Bellatrix to get revenge and she was gonna kill him
    its in spoilers just incase someone decides to read them

• Advertisement

Marts wrote:
    who did ye think was gonna be offed in the Order Of The Phoenix?
    I though it would be
    Mr. or Mrs. Weasley
    before I read the books. I still think
    Mr. Weasley
    could be killed off the in Half-Blood Prince.

Just a thought.....

Jk Rowling said that the first chapter of THBP has been waiting to be printed for almost 13 years, as it was originally the first one in The Phil stone..... so me thinks its a first hand account of the deaths of Harry's parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

Just a thought.....

Jk Rowling said that the first chapter of THBP has been waiting to be printed for almost 13 years, as it was originally the first one in The Phil stone..... so me thinks its a first hand account of the deaths of Harry's parents.

from the jkrowling.net FAQ
    In what way is 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' related to 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets'?

I have been engulfed by an avalanche of questions on the subject of 'Prince' having once been a title of 'Chamber'. I am therefore attempting to answer most of them under this heading, which I think just about covers all the answerable variations (the unanswerable ones include questions such as 'who's the Half-Blood Prince?' 'what happens in the Half-Blood Prince?' and 'what does Half-Blood Prince mean?')

The plot of 'Prince' bears no resemblance whatsoever to the plot of 'Chamber', nor is it an off-cut of 'Chamber'. The story of 'Prince' takes off where 'Phoenix' ended and does not hark back to four years previously. True, mention is made to events that happened in 'Chamber,' but of course, mention is also made of events that happened in 'Stone', 'Azkaban', 'Goblet' and 'Phoenix'.

'The Half-Blood Prince' might be described as a strand of the overall plot. That strand could be used in a whole variety of ways and back in 1997 I considered weaving it into the story of 'Chamber'. It really didn't fit there, though; it was not part of the story of the basilisk and Riddle's diary, and before long I accepted that it would be better to do it justice in book six. I clung to the title for a while, even though all trace of the 'Prince' storyline had disappeared, because I liked it so much (yes, I really like this title!). I re-christened book two 'Chamber of Secrets' when I started the second draft.

The link I mentioned between books two and six does not, in fact, relate to the 'Half-Blood Prince' (because there is no trace left of the HBP storyline in 'Chamber'.) Rather, it relates to a discovery Harry made in 'Chamber' that foreshadows something that he finds out in 'Prince'.

Rather, it relates to a discovery Harry made in 'Chamber' that foreshadows something that he finds out in 'Prince'.
    Hmmm... What discovery could that be? Oh I just want to go and read it right now and come up with theories!!
    Pity I'm doing the Leaving Cert *grumbles*

I'm trying to think of important plot develpoments in Chamber and see where they could lead....perhaps I should reread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Id say its somthin subtle not a big plot point.

Beacuse it's only the second book Harry discovers so much in 'Chamber' There are loads of plot developments in it....
    I think I'm going to HAVE to re-read it! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

For some reason I've started to contemplate on whether or not Harry has a long lost sibling [like Luke & Leia in Star Wars]!! Far fetched I know, but maybe that's the HBP!!

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    For some reason I've started to contemplate on whether or not Harry has a long lost sibling [like Luke & Leia in Star Wars]!! Far fetched I know, but maybe that's the HBP!!

It's a good theory alright. But then Harry would be a half blood prince too... unless his mum or dad had an affair with someone else... I don't think that J.K would go that far, I mean, kids will be reading it.
    It's certantly possible though....

• Advertisement

"magic runs strong in my family, my father had it, I have it, my... cousin has it, thats right Dudley" :eek: :eek:

Advertisement