Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

The prophecy smashed and no one hears it!!! NO ONE!!!

If you say so... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

Ok, So I'm re-reading the Order the phoenix and it's bloody infurating. The prophecy smashed and no one hears it!!! NO ONE!!! Ahhhhhhh

Has anyone tried to figure out what the writing on the prophecy means?

S.P.T to A.P.W.B.D
    Dark Lord
    and (?) Harry Potter
    You're re-reading it and you don't remember? I won't ruin it for you, but it will be revealed later on in the book ;)

I love when I can't remember what happens in a good book. It means I get to enjoy it all over again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

Hester wrote:
    You're re-reading it and you don't remember? I won't ruin it for you, but it will be revealed later on in the book ;)

I love when I can't remember what happens in a good book. It means I get to enjoy it all over again :)

ditto!

btw, your name and AV suggest to me, that you've read his dark materials ?? now thats a great book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Hester wrote:

yeah, I know, but a piece of advise to all, DO NOT go to jkrowling.com(possibly .co.uk) but there is a part called theories, or something like that, and all are enticing and almost spoilers, they make you think and make you look out for them :mad: I only saw two, or atleast I only remember two.

anyway, I would love to be able to re-read a book as if it was the first time again, not knowing what is going to happen atall atall, I mean you are bound to forget small things, but it would be nice to not know (GOF spoiler allert)
    that Barty Crouch Jr. is impersonating Mad-Eye
    or that (TPH spoiler)
    Professor Quirrell is the one who wants to kill Harry
    you know what I mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

herobear wrote:
    btw, your name and AV suggest to me, that you've read his dark materials ?? now thats a great book!
    YES!! :D That's one book I've got to read again. I tend to rush books when I read them the first time because I really want to get to the end and I've only read His Dark Materials once. Damn college taking up all my time :mad:
    Marts wrote:
    yeah, I know, but a piece of advise to all, DO NOT go to jkrowling.com(possibly .co.uk) but there is a part called theories, or something like that, and all are enticing and almost spoilers, they make you think and make you look out for them I only saw two, or atleast I only remember two.
    I'll make sure to stay away from that website then, as I really want to avoid any spoilers for the new book. Even though it was common knowledge that a character in the Order of the Phoenix was going to die, I think I would have enjoyed the book more if I wasn't thinking all the time "who's it going to be?"

I also have this annoying habit of turning to the last page of the book to see how many pages are in it, and end up spoiling myself :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hester wrote:
    YES!! :D That's one book I've got to read again. I tend to rush books when I read them the first time because I really want to get to the end and I've only read His Dark Materials once. Damn college taking up all my time :mad:

I'll make sure to stay away from that website then, as I really want to avoid any spoilers for the new book. Even though it was common knowledge that a character in the Order of the Phoenix was going to die, I think I would have enjoyed the book more if I wasn't thinking all the time "who's it going to be?"

I also have this annoying habit of turning to the last page of the book to see how many pages are in it, and end up spoiling myself :rolleyes:

thats cool, the more you read it, the more you appreciate it definitely!
    and incidentally Lee(and Hester) is my favourite character from those books.

as for that website(jkrowling.net)
    its not really too bad, all she does is mainly de-bunk rumours, or gives us some background information that'll never be featured in the books.
    and yes, i was really pissed that the fact that a character was going to die was made public, total anti-climax when it actually happens imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Ok, finished. Right, I had forgotten that Dumbledore had heard the prophecy from Sibil. Thank god!! I was going mad. But no "Fantasy" I haven't worked out what the initals stand for. If they are very obvious I'll never get them, I never do! :rolleyes:

Sybil.P.Trelawney to Albus.P.W.B.Dumbledore

cant remember the rest, but they've definitely been mentioned afaik

ah here FFS! I'm in the middle of re-reading OOTP, use spoilers ppl!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

herobear wrote:
    i was really pissed that the fact that a character was going to die was made public, total anti-climax when it actually happens imo
    I know exactly what you mean... I was so surprised in GoB when
    Cedric died, as I had absolutely no idea that a character was due to die, and it really, really shocked me! It was the first time I'd fully realised how evil a character Voldemort is. I mean sure, you know he killed Harry's parents, but it was just so dismissive or something the way he had Cedric killed

• Advertisement

Fishie wrote:
    Cedric died, as I had absolutely no idea that a character was due to die, and it really, really shocked me! It was the first time I'd fully realised how evil a character Voldemort is. I mean sure, you know he killed Harry's parents, but it was just so dismissive or something the way he had Cedric killed

totally agree with you there! it was just
    'kill the spare, DUNNN',
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

look what i found on mugglenet LOL
    Wanted: Irish speaker to voice Harry Potter
    TG4, an Irish-language television station, are currently looking for fluent Irish speakers between the ages of 7 and 13 to be the voice of Harry Potter in an Irish version of Chamber of Secrets. If you're interested, check out their website for more details.

Fishie wrote:

They don't call him the Dark lord for nout!

They don't call him the Dark lord for nout!
    Ah yes, but it was just so
    cold blooded the way he killed him! And generally in kids books, the baddy doesn't ACTUALLY kill anyone

yea, I know what you mean, so shocking! Anyway, lets stop talking about stuff that happens in the books, I'm sick of these spoilers! :rolleyes:

Ok, so it's not long to go now for the HBP - 16th of July
    We should get a poll going to guess who it is and then whoever gets it right (if anyone does) they can have..... well they can have a great sense of satisfaction :D
    What do you think? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=259803

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankie Smith

god or religion has never been mentioned in the books has it? do witches and wizards bother with that sort of thing?

Did someone say something about god and religion? Sorry, I'm just too lazy to trawl through the thread :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Fantasy

Theres been trouble with the book..the church giving out that its getting children involved with the devil because of the witchcraft etc.... pffft it's only a story !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

The church would say my blanket is the devil if it started making money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Harry Potter, has anyone pre-ordered it, or are you just gonna go buy it in a bookshop like a normal person?

Fishie wrote:
    Speaking of Harry Potter, has anyone pre-ordered it, or are you just gonna go buy it in a bookshop like a normal person?

I pre-ordered from amazon.... But I don't think that makes me abnormal....does it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

pfft as long as I get it and read it before I get it spoilt to **** I will be happy, I mean I read the other 5 without a spoiler and I was over the moon, she is a great writer. I wonder if this one is gonna be longer again, more-than-likely will be, thats the trend so far anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Fantasy

nope shes said that this one is going to be shorter than the last one.. it has 36 chapters. Hopefully it will be long enough !! :D

Fantasy wrote:
    nope shes said that this one is going to be shorter than the last one.. it has 36 chapters. Hopefully it will be long enough !! :D
    that sucks! I was looking forward to an even bigger book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Marts wrote:
    that sucks! I was looking forward to an even bigger book

Me too! :mad:

with the books, as the size got bigger, the detail got more in-depth and that was great. I mean you don't find out until book 4 that Angelina Johnson is a black girl, I don't think she mentioned that before, afaik the first time she said it was when she came back from putting her name into the goblet. While that is by no means a big thing, its still interesting, because I for one read a book slowly and have pictures of what the characters look like in my head, and until then she was a white girl. It is really annoying when you see a film of a book and the actors look and sound nothing like you pictured the characters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Marts wrote:
    It is really annoying when you see a film of a book and the actors look and sound nothing like you pictured the characters

Yeah it is, and the fact that the HP films are nothing like what I imagined is really bloody annoying.

You're right about the little details, but that's the same with any series of books really.

• Advertisement

whats the difference between the normal HP books and the adult ones?

Advertisement